Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Democrazy posted:

Michael Strahah has come out in support of same-sex marriage, ESPN did a story, and the comments section is really something else to read. Anything that is political is always fun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/conversations/_/id/6649146/michael-strahan-latest-support-ny-same-sex-marriage

Uh, Michael Strahan is apparently engaged to a Vulcan/Chris Henry hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Arschlochkind posted:

I think I said it before about some other stupid forum post or comment, but I'd really enjoy watching one of these people type up a response just once. I think the other one was one of those Random Capitalizations people, but this guy loves periods. What are their typing mechanics like? :psyduck:

Slowly and deliberately stabbing with just their index fingers, I'd imagine.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

"some idiot blogger i won't give a pageview to" posted:

An open letter to 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick:

Dear Colin,

Stop acting like a jerk.

Your press conferences are an embarrassment. If you’re uncomfortable or shy, that’s one thing. That’s not how you come across. You sound dismissive, combative, and rude. There’s no excuse for rude.

I feel I can talk about this because we had a similar situation in our family a few years ago. Our soccer star turned out to be a far better player than we ever expected and we ended up driving all over the state to go to games. The downside was, when we lost, she’d sulk in the back of the car, refuse to speak to anyone, and bark at us when we had the nerve to ask if she’d like something to eat, for example.

Finally, enough was enough. We’re sorry you lost, we said, but get over yourself. It’s not about you. She did and she’s been a wonderful person every since.

She was 12 at the time.

You’re considerably older, Colin, so there should be no excuses, and here’s why:

It’s your job: The NFL is a multi-billion-dollar business. Players are required to appear in public. Those press conferences aren’t going away just because you don’t like doing them. The league and the 49ers are selling tickets, jerseys and, frankly, you. This is how your salary is paid. You will have media availability after every single game. You’ll probably have one, and likely more than one, press conference during the week. Those are facts. Deal with it.

The media is not your enemy: The vibe you give off is that these press people are a bunch of dopes who are only deserving of contempt. You don’t need to take any time to answer their questions because they are idiots. I’d just say this: most of those men and women were there before you arrived and they’ll be there after you are gone. You’ve been to one Super Bowl. I’ll bet most of them have been to several, not to mention international sporting events. They are well-educated, highly trained professionals who do this for a living. And by the way, since they’ve seen players come and go, they’re evaluating you by the way you act. The day may come when you’d like to have a little understanding. People treat other people the way they are treated. Just sayin’.

It is not that hard to say nothing: This isn’t an inquisition, just a press conference. They ask questions, but you don’t have to bare your soul. Just give a nice, pleasant, generic answer that doesn’t sound like you are offended to be asked. The Giants’ Buster Posey is a master of the craft. He answers everything, talks in full sentences, and doesn’t say anything interesting or controversial. And people love Buster. It’s not that hard.

Coach Jim Harbaugh is not a good role model for public relations: The impression we get is that he’s encouraging you, implicitly or not, to blow this stuff off and treat it like an intrusion. Honestly, he’s the last person I’d listen to about that. Particularly after the Aldon Smith debacle, where his much-vaunted values went out the window so he could play Smith in an important game and then acted as if he’d discussed the incident when he hadn’t, Harbaugh’s credibility is zero.

You are wasting your time with Twitter rebuttals: I see where you “favorited” some tweets that were negative to you. I assume you are thinking you are showing that you are battling — you against the haters. What you really did is make those trolls’ day. Those morons are all over social media and their biggest wish of their empty little lives is to get a big star to acknowledge them. You just did.

You are hurting your brand: Yeah, we all know how it is all about social media now. And sure, it is a wonderful thing to be featured in nude, beefcake shots in national magazines and on the red carpet at galas. But those things come and go with the autumn winds. The real stars, LeBron James, Peyton Manning, and even to this day — Joe Montana — learned how to handle themselves in public settings. They don’t go all sullen because someone asked for their thoughts.

They realize that they have a relatively short time to make an impression. And that the kind of impression they make is up to them.

You need to realize that too. Soon.

CWN

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 27, 2013

• Locked thread