Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Morby posted:

They make a good point, but if you're supposed to be anonymous, why would you give your full name?

I wonder how many educators would lose their jobs without the 90 million dollars the Auburn football team generates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Sash! posted:

Probably $0. $90 million barely registers on a budget to a major university. Penn State had total operating revenue of $107m and expenses of $88m in 2009-2010. So athletics generated $19m. $21m were to pay salaries of all the athletic department.

In 2010-2011 (I can't find last year's budget), PSU spent $4.06 billion on everything else. The university took in $4.3b. $266m were on professors salaries. Athletics doesn't even appear on the budget.

One of the biggest dogs in the game, with one of the biggest stadiums on Earth, with a marketable brand, and legion upon legion of loyal fans doesn't bring in half the money they pay out to the education staff.

Alright that makes sense.
I just hated the professors, and I don't imagine I'm the only one who had them, who basically went off on a spiel during class about how much the football coach made and how it was a total disgrace to the university.

Nevermind that enrollment was in a freefall and the 1st President of the college plagiarized to get his job and the next one was a close friend of Rod Blagojevitch, it was the Basketball program and the tier-2 football program that was to blame!

Like it seemed like they had a personal vendetta against sports and couldn't believe that not everyone else hated them like they did.

I also had really cool professors who liked sports and my parents are both professors and they like them too, but wasting class time and students money to spend half the class bitching that you aren't paid enough really rubbed me the wrong way.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yes, Buffalo Bills forum poster, I'm sure that no one will notice when Ryan Leaf Stony Case replaces Peyton Manning.

The sad thing is the Bills would probably be a good team if everyone had NFLGENERIC players

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I was hoping the article would start with a giant cursive block letter, like in children's books

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Time to fire that rear end in a top hat Buddy Nix:

I remember wanting Jimmy Clausen in the first round.

Therefore I love Buddy Nix, thank you for not listening to our retarded fans, and getting good players.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Kevin Walter is good and I'd love him on my team.
Racism is so stupid.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

"My son and I were talking about him the other day. He is really good at turning around the insults of sneering and mean people in sports and he’s good at foiling their efforts to create destructive divisions among him and other players."

This is somewhat true except he doesn't actually try to foil anybody he just is just oblivious and good-natured.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jests.
Patsies.
...Bills? Ive never heard of one for the Bills.

Boy
I
Love
Losing
Superbowls

That's a real knee-slapper!

The most annoying insult is the children in Africa growing up Bills fans. I immediately ask whoever says it what their take on airline peanuts is.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

The Incredible Ed posted:

TFF needs to band together and make starter jackets a thing again. 4th grade was rad.

My parents used to work for Champion who used to do 90s College and NFL apparel. And they would tell me stories about how a strict Catholic high school was accidentally sent South Carolina Gamecocks Jerseys, and how Lou Holtz called my mother because the Notre Dame jerseys were the wrong color.

The worst was the machine that put the logos on the clothing was for some reason set up by color of the team, well somehow the Atlanta alternate was set as just "Black" so this was around the time the Raiders were the bad boys of the NFL and demand for Raiders stuff was high so the machine printed just a poo poo ton of Falcons memorabilia that wouldn't sell and for awhile there wasn't a goddamn scrap of fabric with the Raiders logo in the whole store!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

HE'S IN THE CREASE!

(gently caress the stars)

Also: Queens for Vikings.

For SAS secret santa someone sent me this photo signed by Hull

The next year I got an autograph from Dick Jauron gently caress y'all lol

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I like that post. I don't care if it was made up or not it made me smile when I read it.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Holy poo poo: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-most-confusing-things-about-football-to-outsider/

Those are certainly some funny observations! :suicide:

Cracked is the same site that refused Febreeze's fan comics which were pretty clever and drawn well.

Cracked paid money for this article.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

"Suck it up dutchess."
by BelizePats was a truly rare and amazing retort.

I can't get it out of my head.

Whatever shred of an argument you had is now forfeit because you were rightly called out as acting like a dutchess by some guy presumably in Belize.

That moderator must now live out his life in shame.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

All I know is the Rochester University Yellow Jackets will gently caress you up at Badminton.
They have their own tournament to just cordially invite folks to come on up and get their rear end beat.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Definite concussion, I can see the fencing response

That is superb

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Sash! posted:

Sorry that you're too dumb to get this, I guess. Its rather simple.

The premise was "some nut says Alabama football is most dominant team of all time in any sport." Which can easily be refuted with the commonly known (Steelers in the 70s) to the hilariously obscure (Penn State fencing).

See, I'd disagree with this. People aren't going to be less competitive at their sport because "well I only do men's gymnastics and no one cares, so I'll just half-rear end it."

Sash! I commend you for sticking to your swords on this one.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Uh, Jonah got eaten by a whale right? Like that's his claim to fame? And then the whale throws him up and he lives?

How is that not clutch?

Unless the guy is trying to compare Dallas to the ancient city of Ninevah I have no idea wtf he is talking about either.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

HarlanHell posted:

To be fair she was a complete embarrassment. She couldn't even kick it 20 yards in the air. If you look at her form in the video you can tell that the injury is just a lame excuse. She was out there for her fifteen minutes nothing more. Its a real shame too because the first woman at the NFL combine should have been a milestone. I mostly feel sad for real female athletes who could of gone out there and not made a complete joke of the process.

It took her like over 20 seconds to even get the ball on the tee, but what really was annoying was the self-promotion she was doing the whole time and the fact that she had soccer experience not football experience.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

With all these posts with Uncle Cletus posting his racist/political poo poo that really doesn't have to do with football,
I feel it is time to read something rather endearing from a rural source in a football post from another forum.

I can't do this man's self-written biography justice but suffice to say he describes himself as a "hard working everyman."
Forget what the so-called experts are saying because this man is coming out with his own 13 bold predictions about the 2013 NFL season.

Among some of the bolder predictions (with extra bold added for emphasis)

quote:

The New England Patriots will not win the AFC East.
That's right, I said it. The New England Patriots will not win the AFC East. What about Bill Belichick and Tom Brady? Yes, I fully understand that the Patriots still have their evil genius calling plays and still have one of the most loved yet hated quarterbacks in NFL history. Yes, I know they went out and signed Tim Tebow, a natural born winner. Let me ask you this. How many snaps do you expect Tebow to take at QB? I don't expect him to take very many. In all honesty, I personally think that's a good thing. I do think Tebow will learn behind Belichick and Brady and eventually become a better QB because of it, but not yet.

The bottom line is this, agree or disagree, the Patriots are a gimmick team and teams are catching on. Take the AFC Divisional Playoff game against the Houston Texans. The Patriots utilized a lot of no huddle offense, and not just any no huddle offense. The Pats were using that garbage where they are snapping the ball for the next play practically 2 seconds after the whistle blows on the last play. It killed the Texans. The Ravens however were not playing that game.

quote:

The Cleveland Browns will win the AFC North.
Yes, I said it. The Cleveland Browns will win the AFC North, and no, this is not a typo. [..]
Mark my words; Norv Turner will be the offensive version of Wade Phillips this season.The hiring of offensive coordinator Norv Turner and defensive coordinator Ray Horton will prove to be a godsend to the Cleveland faithful. Phillips had problems putting it all together as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, the same way Turner had problems in San Diego with a similarly talented squad. When Phillips went to manage the defense alone in Houston, we got a violent stingy defense now affectionately referred to by the Houston faithful as The Bulls On Parade. Norv Turner will do the same to a horrible offense in Cleveland that has all the pieces to be special but just needs that special head coach and offensive coordinator combo that I think they have found in Chud and Turner.

quote:

Alex Smith will continue to impress and lead the Kansas City Chiefs back to the playoffs.
In my opinion the defense should be strong enough to give Manning and the Broncos a run for the division title, but they will fall short and have to settle for a Wild Card spot. The Chiefs fans will take it.

quote:

The Miami Dolphins will win the AFC East.
With the problems that the Patriots are having, they should still make the playoffs like I said earlier, but I don't think they will be strong enough to hold off the Dolphins this year.

If you don't love this dude then you will after reading this.

quote:

Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys will miss the playoffs yet again.
The Dallas Cowboys to me are the NFL's version of the Toronto Raptors in the NBA, they have the talent, but they lack the chemistry.
This is not only the first time in the history of the world that the Dallas Cowboys were called the NFL version of the Toronto Raptors, but also the first time the Toronto Raptors were called talented.

Also RG3, Russell Wilson,Colin Kaepernick rule and "are the truth" EJ Manuel is a franchise QB and his team (the Texans) are going to gently caress up the Seahawks and win the superbowl.
I hope every one of his predictions comes true.

I hope that New England is caught in the middle of their gimmicky crap like trying to snap the ball in 2 seconds while all the refs backs are turned and that JJ Watt sniffs out the play and powerbombs Brady.
I want to see Chud and Norm marching triumphantly into the sunset and climbing over the broken bodies of Steelers,Ravens, and Bengals players.
I'd love it if the AFC West wasn't a poo poo show and instead the Chiefs just continued to hound and torment the Broncos at every turn and grind away at them.
Finally when they inevitably choke I want the Cowboys not just embarrassed but exposed nationally as not America's team but a fraudulent version of a terrible Canadian basketball team.

This man is a visionary who believes in a better football than even the football we watch.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

After Adolphus Washington is arrested for bringing in a gun to an Ohio water park:

quote:

Just adds more creedence to my belief that all Silverbacks should be caged and the Bills Silverbacks especially! It needs to be written into their contract and explained to them it is for their own protection. Their accomodations or cages can be much more luxurious than the general silverback population cages. The Bills Silverback cages can be fitted out with elaborate tree swings and a grotto to simulate a Lagoon effect in the middle of the Jungle, pipe in loud rap music and jungle sounds in the background so they feel at home. Then supply them with all kinds of balls and toys and fur coats and feather hats to wear and ship in female silverbacks from the Gen Pop cage so they can play drug pimps while waiting for their Sunday release! Brandon can make buck charging the fans to come and watch them play in their lagoon and provide bananas and oranges to toss to them to make it more fan interactive. Admit it you all would race to get in line for that show and throw a couple of bananas and oranges like a good loyal fan! Just another revenue source for the Bills provided by the hardest working and most clever front office marketing huckster in the NFL! How do you think the NFLPA union is going to accept Russ newest marketing idea?

• Locked thread