Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
From the Raiders SB Nation page.

quote:

I hear a lot of players describing their work as being gladiators. I don’t remember actual gladiators suing the emporers for being mauled by the lions. Come into this league, make the owner insane amount of money, you yourself will make more than you would have in your life in the 3-4 years you play. Walk away a hero and a bit hosed up. More often than not you did get a free college education as well, whether you passed that up or not. Lets make sure the union pays your medical bills for life. Lets stop with the lawsuits. If you fear the lions, don’t become a gladiator.

I get the servile wars aren't exactly common knowledge but jesus dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

All of Denver let down in the SB, from the FO, to the coaches, to the players, to the fans - nobody showed up. On the other hand, Seattle pulled 110%, top to bottom in every category.

IMO, Denver cultivated that attitude throughout the season. The players, coaches and fans expected to win every game, and for the most part, their expectations were realized... just another day at the office, another mark met and in the few instances when they failed, it was shrugged off as a fluke, an abnormally.

Look at the games Seattle played last year - most were squeaker wins by one or two scores, i.e; Panthers 12-7, Texans 23-20, Titans 20-13, Cardinals 34-22, Rams 14-9, Bucs 27-24, thats 6 games that could've gone either way! Then add their losses; Colts 28-34, 49ers 17-19, Cards 10-17. Heck, even the lowly Jags laid 17 on them and the Vikes put up 20. This trend carried over in the playoffs where Seattle won 23-15 against the Saints and 23-17 against the 49ers. Look at those scores, study them. The SB was one of their few "blowout wins" that Seattle managed.

Truth is, we played a paper tiger, a team, coaches and fans who simply wanted it more. They were used to adversity, much like the Tebow led Broncos of 2011, they didn't give up and pulled out wins they shouldn't have won.

The Broncos (fans included) on the other hand, acted like it was a given, that PM & Co would do the ho hum norm without the push or the urgency - just another game, nothing special, a gimme.

I think it was a BIG wakeup call for everyone - or at least it should be. If the Broncos don't win it all this year, then IMO, the coaches need to be held accountable. I like them all but the NFL championship is for the hungry, the driven and the nice guys? Well, they usually wind up spouting platitudes with a smile or a frown - depending on the outcome but the real winners are screaming their heads off - yeah, big mouths I guess.

Lost it at "an abnormally."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

I believe the rule is that if you don't source your quotes we will just assume those are your own words.

Has it been a month already? Wow. Time flies when you're having fun. On the internet. Posting on SA.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard "bell-cow back" before, but I also don't pay any attention to ESPN.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love when people blame him for not keeping it to himself when he was basically keeping it to himself at Missouri, but he wasn't outright hiding it. The media found out about it, and Sam gave his statement so he could be the one to say it. He didn't do anything wrong. The reality show probably could've waited a couple years, but w/e.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My condolences for having to suffer through such a puke GM's reign.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's literally just thingsthathappened.jpg

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Alex Smith is basically a high school QB and it took him 10 years to learn how to not lose games with bad turnovers. It's not that easy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

America's team is whoever last won the Super Bowl.

Only because everyone knows better than to try and usurp the worlds team from the Raiders.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

But I thought they all wore old *ducks giant wooden cane* Bills Super Bowl Champion Shirts!:haw:

Not all of them!

This picture makes my heart happy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spoeank posted:

Tarell Brown, who was let go by a CB needy 49ers team like 3 years ago then a CB needy Raiders team like 2 years ago then flushed out of the league.

He's in the top half of that group in terms of "might actually help, maybe"

He wasn't that bad in Oakland. The Raiders were just planning to give their young guys more time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hell no. I ain't doing poo poo either way. You're a nerd, flying cars are your jurisdiction. Quit loving around on twitter and maybe we'd have them by now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Dude got killed for this on social media and owned up to it 3 weeks ago...

shouldn't you be off prescribing some kid ritalin

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

Putting aside the obvious fantasy of Ty Law or Champ Bailey coming out of retirement, how does he expect them to arrive in football shape, learn the scheme in 24 hours, and be even remotely acceptable on the field? You'd probably get the same results from pulling a random fan out of the stands.

Charles Woodson is the funniest. Like yeah dude, give him a call, I'm sure he'll drop his ESPN gig in a heartbeat to go play for the loving Lions. He's just been sitting by the phone waiting for the call.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hunt11 posted:

The biggest issue I see with Football players crossing over to Rugby is getting used to the fact that the game basically never stops.

There's pauses every time the ball goes out of bounds, which is all the time. Not to mention how long it takes for a penalty kick to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wayne Chrebet best white receiver

• Locked thread