Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I wonder how many educators would lose their jobs without the 90 million dollars the Auburn football team generates?

Probably $0. $90 million barely registers on a budget to a major university. Penn State had total operating revenue of $107m and expenses of $88m in 2009-2010. So athletics generated $19m. $21m were to pay salaries of all the athletic department.

In 2010-2011 (I can't find last year's budget), PSU spent $4.06 billion on everything else. The university took in $4.3b. $266m were on professors salaries. Athletics doesn't even appear on the budget.

One of the biggest dogs in the game, with one of the biggest stadiums on Earth, with a marketable brand, and legion upon legion of loyal fans doesn't bring in half the money they pay out to the education staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So they're banning writing dumb stuff on your face because of TEBOW!!!! not because of all the idiots putting area codes on their heads.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PizzaDelivery posted:

Penn State's Scout site is full of old people who most likely suffer from dementia.
There's one crazy dude who hates Joe Paterno and instead of hitting space twice after a period hits enter twice after a period (puts two lines between sentences).

Devlin was literally the greatest quarterback in the history of the universe.

Here's two years worth of speculation on why this is a fact:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I actually side with the "quit whining and play your football for millions" crowd but they're so terrible at arguing that I don't want to associate with them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

From caste football:

Brain power of a pilot?

1) Taxi to runway, effectively the same as driving your car.
2) Set flaps and throttles, according to preset charts for aircraft type and weight.
3) Set autobrakes.
4) Engage throttles.
5) At predetermined speed, pull back on yoke.
6) When aircraft reaches positive rate of climb, engage flight director and retract gear.
7) Aircraft will now fly itself to its destination, and if you're fancy land itself when it gets there. (You will have to turn on the auto-land).

Congratulations, you now have the brain power of a pilot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Any post in a thread that says "Why are we talking about topic X we need to focus on topic Y!" Look I can focus on eating beef jerky and masturbating because I'm not on the team.

Also any use of the word elite.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I wonder if theres a parallel universe where black people complain about not being allowed to be goalies in the NHL

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like how his list of everyone with half a brain swings wildly from "yes" to "well thats not what was important" to "what are you, insane?"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They're even pretty lovely at being racists anyhow.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MorningView posted:

Tell me more about being a good racist, Sash.

His name is Gradkowski.

Polish name like that taking away touches from Kaisers, Metzgers, and Rothschilds of the NFL!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Does not compute

You need to level up on your conspiracy theories!

Hitler was secretly a Rothschild, who are in turn actually shape-shifting Reptilian aliens

No Safe Word posted:

His name isn't Gradkowski or am I being whooshed

No I just typed the wrong Polish G name last night.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 15, 2012

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tzen posted:

Hahahah I always assumed castefootball would love Welker & Gronkowski

They're race traitors for disliking a member of the Welcker line.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kim Jong-Deal posted:

I doubt caste has much to say about Paterno anymore. His only successes in the last ten years came from talented black QBs like Robinson and Clark, while the team languished under lovely white QBs like Zach Mills, Anthony Morelli, and whoever they got now.

Zack Mills had heart, courage, and determination!

The last white option QB in history.

Really, I do feel bad for him because he had zero working shoulders and no receivers anyhow.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Some day, all quarterbacks will be Asian and Indian, just like our doctors and engineers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I just thought about a world where they were taken seriously :stonk:

It briefly existed from 1933 to 1945, so

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McKracken posted:

Haven't seen any comments about Gronk partying after the game. You know they'd have a dedicated thread for it had it been Ocho or Branch.

Maybe because they realize its a stupid thing to get upset about.

I'd be drunk off my rear end and dancing around too if I just lost the Super Bowl :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Serisothikos posted:

A single football match in either England or Ireland will cure you of thinking we've gotten past this poo poo on any fundamental level.

More in that codified, legal sort of way.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MorningView posted:

That is my favorite Romo complaint. HOW DOES HE HAVE TIME GOLF OR GO ON DATES HE SHOULD BE PRACTICING!!!!!!!!!!

No its just football games, football practice, or being stored in stasis in a cyro-tube, like they do with the Chinese Olympic team.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KettleWL posted:

Honestly the worst thing about that post is the guy calling Oprah and Bill Cosby "black intellectuals" instead of just regular loving people. Really lets the latent racism shine through.

Eh, they do this all the time with other people. And by they I mean things like the newspaper.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Racist though he may be I'm drawing a blank as to who this one black SB-winning QB is.

Alternate universe Donovan McNabb obviously

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was under the impression that the media loves Tebow.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FMguru posted:

One of the signature feints of white supremacist types who get called on their racism is for them to assert that they are 1/64 Kickapoo or 1/32 Navajo and therefore can't be racist.

Nice to see this guy keepin' it real.

Hi, I'm Erhard Milch. I can't be a Nazi. I'm a Jew!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go be effectively second in command of the Luftwaffe!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

haljordan posted:

How would Peyton Manning not qualify as a "good guy"? Does he have a string of illegitimate children/murdered prostitutes I don't know about?

Eli is secretly really his son. They just raised him as his brother to avoid the scandal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They call PSU-Temple a rivalry in press releases but its not a real one. But if it was, its like 35-3-1 for PSU.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ah yes, the WWE is a paragon of long term planning and popular characters, such as....uh....hrm.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can't tell which type of patsfans.com posts make me :rolleyes: more; the super exaggerated optimism where it's inevitable that we win the next 3 Super Bowls or the absolute depressing pessimism that can never be pleased.

At least you have the positive one.

I gave up on PSU boards after I realized almost everyone was either "nine wins is a horrible season" or "if the record is less than 13-0 its a disaster of 9/11 proportions."

For the NFL guys only, if a college team goes 9-3 its not the best season but half the league would kill to sniff something even close to that. But when you look at the top 10 teams of all time, their average season: 9-3. Actually 8-4 is closer. No one has a .750 all time winning percentage.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you use the word "elite" in regards to sports, you're probably a moron.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Go try it right now (assuming you never have before)

And more than four feet off the ground too.

There's a reason they use "kick a (10 yard) field goal to win HUGE PRIZE!!!!" for contests.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The most powerful engines don't even have cylinders!

He should have compared them to gas turbines, like in a tank!

A lot of hot air moving over fans. The metaphor is flawless.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its Montana. Its like America's Somalia up there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

What does this make West Virginia?

Pakistan.

Mountainous terrain controlled by local tribal warlords.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Well he did poo poo up every single college football thread ever. I'm struggling to think of a worse TFF poster ever.

That guy that kept talking about his awesome SAT scores.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I see he used the archaic "PittsBurgh" and "EngLand."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"How To Approach This Insanity?"

That is an excellent question.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ShimSham posted:

He just apparently thinks he's the first person to notice this

I'm pretty sure anyone that's played a lot of the NCAA Football series figured this out years ago :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The other day, I had to attend this seminar about Federal requirements to write in "plain language." Functionally, this means "write at a sixth grade level, because that's what the American reading level is." Years of internet reading has convinced me that even this may be too high an assessment of literacy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eco Liberals don't watch competitive sports.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I choose to not observe games and collapse the wave function. All teams are undefeated.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense as She-gles/she-gulls?

I dunno, I'm probably thinking too hard about it

E-gals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I have an awesome brand new Dolphins starter jacket Im never ever going to wear. Ive considered selling the thing. I like to picture some guy in an early 90s Miata wearing Zubaz pants would show up and pay cash

Would he have a spiked mullet and some mirrored Oakley blades too?

• Locked thread