Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Arschlochkind posted:

On Mario Williams:

I like how he would be ok with trading Mario Williams for another quality DE. :stare: indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

You know, as much as it makes sense to change the name, the most surprising thing I always find is just how little controversy the name seems to garner. They even polled the Native American population and found that only 9% found it offensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Downloads/Political_Communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf

So while it seems intuitive to say that it's really offensive, the reality is more complex than that.

EDIT: Not saying it shouldn't be changed.

Honest question:

Why do people find it so racist? I realize the term singles out a race of people, but I can't remember ever having heard the word used with the same connotations as something like "friend of the family". Really I've never even heard the word used at all outside of references to the football team.

I am from the West coast so maybe on the East coast it is used as a derogatory term a lot or something?

• Locked thread