Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
So Arian Foster had a press conference yesterday or the day before. Normal stuff was said, and he was fairly short with some answers, and even called out one journalist by saying he asked a "bad question". Lets see the reaction on a really terrible (A terrible board I post on a lot) texans forum:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101499&page=2

quote:

I'm worried about Arian longterm. I don't know if his heart is still in the game. He was supposedly pretty nasty with the press yesterday and then I heard some snippets and he's sounding like an old retired player. Said he loved the game but it's tiring or something like that.

That's something I'm going to be watching for. Tate might be even more important than we think this year.

quote:

I was thinking the same thing. His heart just doesn't seem into it. He just had a newborn son and already had a daughter. Maybe he realized that the game of football will keep him away from his family most of the time. He certainly seems more intrigued by the entertainment industry in my book. He might not want this career any more due to the physical and mental grind it takes on the players. Only time will tell but he sure does look like he lost interest already.

quote:

He was consumed with getting paid. Now he's not.

Looks like Rick may have made another mistake by signing Foster to that big contract.

I loving hate people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Young thing I get, despite being sorta irrational, because of the Texas connection and there are probably a fair amount of fans of both the Longhorns and Texans. And I suppose it's possible Vince would have been more successful playing for a fanbase that unequivocally supported him rather than what he got in Tennessee. Truth be told, I don't know how Titans fans felt about Vince, but he probably would have been a demi-god in Houston.

But Sage Rosenfels? Really? Are there people out there who demanded Jim Druckenmiller replace Jeff Garcia, as well?

Titans fans generally loved Vince's first two or so years when he won ROY and they went to the playoffs. People forget that he played his HS ball in Houston so he was already really popular before he went to college. I think Kubiak was the one who told McNair he could salvage Carr so VY was probably not in the equation. That pick was all Bud Adams trying to give Houston the finger, and for briefly, it worked.

Edit: Rosenfels was decent when he got to start and he was a little more care free with the ball and his body which endeared him to some idiots in the media and the fan base. He turned the ball over too much though and his career ended with the famous Rosencopter.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 12, 2013

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Arschlochkind posted:

Holy Lord, Fox 26 in Houston just had an entire segment devoted to making GBS threads on Matt Schaub with local moron poo poo-stirrer Quanell X at the helm. What the gently caress.

I don't even know what to say any more.

Everybody in the local media is pretty much making GBS threads on Matt Schaub, even guys who are thought to have decent X's and O's perspective like Lance Zeirlein.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Just drop these off from Texans Talk about the Martin/Incognito thing:

rear end in a top hat Texans Fan posted:

Yes, the whole situation is really very silly isn't it. But I won't be at all surprised if we see a piece on the nightly national news soon suggesting there should be sensitivity training for NFL players re their interactions with both opponents and teammates. The NFL is definitely in full-blown wussification mode
and we are headed full speed towards touch football.

Same rear end in a top hat Texans Fan posted:

I'm gonna have to do this Jen, I don't want to, but I must to make my point.
I'm guessing you've never played football ? OK, well I have, both in high school and in college, though I assure my collegiate football experience was very unremarkable and the scholastic end of it not much better. But while playing in HS and college, I can't tell you how many incidents I've seen of bullying, varying degrees to be sure. And actually a couple of them were pretty flagrant, pretty nasty situations in other words. It's part of the territory, it's a very, very physical sport played by some really tough guys, certainly at the NFL level. And it's also tough mentally and psychologically because much of it is about being the most macho person in the contest, winning whichever mano-a-mano contest a player might be involved in that's always playing out on the field be it CB vs WR, OT vs edge-rusher, OC vs NT, TE vs LB, etc. In other words, a guy has to have a certain mentality or psyche along with athletic talent, or he's not got what it takes for serious football, certainly not pro ball. And seminars or sensitive training or whatever aren't gonna correct the situation, not for the bully or his victim. Best solution would be to change occupations to office work, or something, anything that's civilized because pro football isn't.

A Different rear end in a top hat Texans Fan posted:

This is true

And be cut before the start of next season if the Lawyers will let the Dolphins cut him. Martin has been soft and played terrible this yr. He was being counted on to be the Dolphins LT for the next 10 yrs. He couldn't handle those responsibilities and was weak minded.

This story gets the fans mind off of his terrible play and focuses on his feelings, which was his goal in all of this. Incognito was trying to toughen Martin up and help the team. Did he go too far and use despicable behavior? Yes.

But apparently most of the Dolphins OL mates agrred with Incognito and backed him up. The Dolphins coaches must have agreed with Incognito also because they didn't stop it. This means that Martin wont be long for Miami.

Martin's biggest knock coming out of college was that he wasn't physical enough. Sounds like Martin will be Gary's RT of the future. I'm sure he will fit in quite well with Newton.

BTW, this is why it will be a long time before an openly gay player will be welcomed on a team. Teams look to avoid stuff like this like the plague. If you were to ask Ireland if he's glad that he drafted Martin or if he wishes he would've passed on Martin and Ireland was honest, I garuntee you Martin wouldn't be a Dolphin today.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

quote:

Its sad that the Gary Kubiak era has contaminated the fanbase.

This fanbase has been together for so long with Kubiak and Schaub that the fanbase has adopted Kubiak's conservative, scared to go for the win mentality. Kubiak has turned this fanbase into scared little kids who cant look at a crucial field goal kick. Scared to run a trick play.

This fanbase has become gutless like Kubiak. You guys need to check yourselves. Look at the mirror, arent you ashamed you've become like Kubiak?

When did you all become so scared to take a chance?

When did you all become so conservative like Kubiak?

When did you guys become so fearful of doing something drastic? Something that had high risk but also had high reward?

When did you guys become Kubiak?

When did you guys become so scared to go big?

When did you guys adopt the play not to lose mentality?

The Manziel pick is the ANTI KUBIAK PICK. Its the trick play that Kubiak was always scared to call.

The Manziel pick is that 4th down that Kubiak was always afraid to go for.

The Manziel pick is that 3rd down pass that Schaub would have never gone for.

The Manziel pick is going for the win, instead of playing not to lose.

Johnny Manziel's entire being as a player and person is the complete opposite of what we have had here for more than half a decade. He is the complete opposite of Matt Schaub.

Yet for some strange idiotic reason, Texan fans at least on this site are completely oblivious and are against Manziel. You guys want another prototypical big tall quarterback in blake bortles who looks and plays just like another Matt Schaub.

This is is the kind of sad, ignorant mentality that has afflicted this franchise.

You guys are afraid to think outside the box.

This is the kind of mentality that allows someone like Schaub and David Carr to last this long.

YOU ARE JUST LIKE YOUR FRONT OFFICE.

AFRAID TO TAKE A CHANCE SO LETS STICK WITH THE STATUS QUO OF CARR, KUBIAK, AND SCHAUB.

Here is Johnny Football. The anti schaub. The high risk high reward guy. The tested talent vs great competition. The talent that looks spectacular on the field. The new breed of running and passing quarterback cut from the same cloth as the russell wilsons, the kapernicks, the newtons, the rg3s...

Yet what does the fanbase and current coaching staff do?

You try to look for ways to not draft the guy. You make up fake accusations like having poor work ethic. You do everything to tell yourself we dont want that guy.

David Carr was the prototypical qb. Schaub had the prototypical qb height.

How many times are we gonna with the prototypical qb and get our hearts broken?

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Go ahead, pick the safe prototypical quarterback texans so we can get our prototypical result.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

quote:

"People can call me crazy, and it's not cockiness (but), I'm going to put myself in (position) to win the Super Bowl every single year. A 5-10 guy (Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson) just won the Super Bowl in his second year in the NFL," he said. "That's unreal. I want to be the first rookie to win the Super Bowl."

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl."

» Manziel's preparation for the combine includes film study with Kevin O'Connell, who was a New England Patriots backup quarterback when Texans coach Bill O'Brien was an assistant there under Bill Belichick. O'Connell is helping Manziel learn O'Brien's likes and dislikes about offensive football, and he can't wait to talk to O'Brien about it next week in Indianapolis.

I like that last part the most. You have to swing for the fences with this #1 pick and go with the guy with the highest upside. Trust the game film and trust his competition. The guy is a playmaker. Something our storied quarterback history has never had. Look at the throws that he makes.

Havent texan fans had enough of the prototypical QBs?

Remember the most important criteria for quarterback greatness we talked about?

Does he have a great name?

-It cant get any better than Johnny football.

Is he good looking enough?

-If he is good looking, he is confident. If he is confident he gets the girl hence guys want to follow him. Cant you just feel his confidence when you read his quotes even about going to cleveland?

That's the type of swagger Manziel comes with and its infectious in the locker room. Complete opposite of Schaub's muted catatonic magnificence.

This is who Johnny Football comes homes to:

Check mate.

You think teddy bridgewater and his crossdressing self can pull that?

Draft the spectacular player who knows how to score (remember that problem we had with scoring??????) and lets win some games and look good doing it.

quote:

seriously, who do you want to follow?

a guy who does this:

or a guy who does this:

Dont say i didnt warn you about the cross dresser.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

This is the same guy that I posted earlier talking about the "prototypical quarterback". I'm looking forward to more long winded insane rants about Manziel throughout the draft process.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Heard the phrase a lot, but mostly with fantasy football. I have always understood it to be the opposite of the runningback by committee that a lot of teams use since runningbacks get beat the gently caress up so hard.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

In a thread about a Vince Young Interview:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2372851

The Iron Duke posted:

Amazing that he graduated college and can barely speak english

kingtexan posted:

That is half of the African-American athletic community

when called on his poo poo by other posters:

kingtexan posted:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny.

If there was ever anything that did not require proof ...

kingtexan posted:

Thanks for the neg rep but the statement wasn't racist. Most of the interviews I have seen with African-American players, sportscasters, talking head ex-athletes, etc. they do not have an accurate knowledge of the English language, or maybe they just think it is cool to talk ghetto. Either way they come across as being illiterate. Get mad at me if you want, but you should be mad at their teachers, coaches and parents. If you are a part of society that wants to be perceived differently .. do something to change the perception.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

fartknocker posted:

This is correct.

Don Beebe is #2.

That Don Beebe motherfucker was out of bounds.

• Locked thread