Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sash! posted:

I actually side with the "quit whining and play your football for millions" crowd but they're so terrible at arguing that I don't want to associate with them.

So who do you side with when the owners are the ones whining and not playing football?

I always want to ask the "but I can't ask my boss for more money!" folks what they would do if their boss just came up and told them he decided he wanted more money so he was giving them a 5% pay cut.

quote:

I just realized that it would be so easy for the Redskins to change their name to the Hogs and get rid of all that old-timey racism while still having a name with tradition behind it. They really are that stubborn though.

Ugh. The number of my friends who are Skins fans and bend over backwards to try to justify the name is depressing. I've heard the "It's not racist because they asked some Indians and they said it was fine" argument, and the "It's in honor of some specific Indians, so using a slur is ok because we're honoring them" one. No one seems to get that it's roughly as bad as having a team called the Washington Negroes.

And no one will take seriously my suggestion to change the name to the Beltway Snipers.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Democrazy posted:

You know, as much as it makes sense to change the name, the most surprising thing I always find is just how little controversy the name seems to garner. They even polled the Native American population and found that only 9% found it offensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/Downloads/Political_Communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf

So while it seems intuitive to say that it's really offensive, the reality is more complex than that.

EDIT: Not saying it shouldn't be changed.

They polled 768 Native Americans. There's about 3 million Native Americans living in the US, according to the 2010 census. That's not really much of a sample size.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Detroit_Dogg posted:

RIP Eastern Michigan Hurons, you were too good for this world. :smith:

The Native Americans in town were fine with the name too, it was the rich white people that got it axed.

See, Hurons doesn't bother me. It's not a slur, it's an actual name of a group of people. It would be like calling your team the Floridians or the Southerners. It's not offensive at all.

Redskin is a racial slur. That's why it's offensive and the Chiefs isn't.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BigJake posted:

I too have no understanding of how statistics work

Do you really think a sample size of 800 allows one to accurately represent the opinions of 3 million people, to the point where you would feel comfortable saying "No, it's cool, we asked the indians and they said it was not offensive"?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BigJake posted:

A sample of 768 out of a population of 3 million yields a margin of error of about 3.6% at 95% confidence.

So yes, absolutely. Assuming it was a random sample anyway

Well, fair enough. I suppose the next question is whether or not it's ok to keep a team name that offends 5-12% of the racial group it refers to.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BlindSite posted:

Dan Snyder doesn't care about red people.

On an actual note, being australian I know nothing about Native Americans other than what I've learned watching Deadwood but I didn't think Redskin was a derogative term?

are people pissed off because they (non-native americans) use the name referring to native americans because native americans were systematically killed by the government or is it actually a derogatory term like negro or whatever else the cool kids at caste football are using these days?

Redskin or red man is on par with calling an asian person yellow. It's not a super-charged hateful term like some other racial slurs but it's not something you'd be ok calling someone casually without expecting them to get offended.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Spiral Architect posted:

I think this may be my favorite. I thought all racists on that site thought that blacks were supposed to be better athletes based on genetics. Nope, this guy can't even handle that kind of racism. He has to go to a whole different level.

Caste football is a special kind of racist, where they believe blacks are dumb and valued only for their athletic prowess, but also that white athletes are superior.

Basically they think all blacks are good athletes but dumb, so the elite white athletes are inherently better because they can ALSO be smart and not lazy and shiftless or uppity or whatever code words they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Morby posted:

Another one from al.com, this time from the comments section of an article posted about the Ohio State debacle.

Some Auburn fans call Saban "Spanky" because of this incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRjDVsw-eQU

Nick Saban is the only person involved in football to ever smack a player on the rear end.

• Locked thread