Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Democrazy posted:

Michael Strahah has come out in support of same-sex marriage, ESPN did a story, and the comments section is really something else to read. Anything that is political is always fun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/conversations/_/id/6649146/michael-strahan-latest-support-ny-same-sex-marriage
Not that I didn't expect it, but jesus christ those comments. loving terrible.

As for the ad itself - cheesy as the "defensive end for the New York Giants" bit was - not only is Strahan just awesome in general, it's great to see someone breaking the stereotype of homophobic athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

pasaluki posted:

wasting class time and students money to spend half the class bitching that you aren't paid enough really rubbed me the wrong way.
I absolutely agree that the classroom isn't the place to lodge one's complaint over this (and the students are paying for this time for their degrees, not to hear someone bitch about their salary to those who are helping PAY it), but the complaint itself is quite a valid one.

Most athletic departments are a money sink. I remember reading somewhere that just out of the D1 schools, more than 3/4ths of them LOSE money on athletics. Not to mention that even in the smaller schools, the average salary of, say, a football coach is many times over that of a professor.

Teachers (and Nurses, for that matter) really get the poo poo end of the stick when payday comes.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Most athletic departments lose money, so he did kind of have a point. Only the biggest ones are profitable, and then they're massively profitable.
Exactly. I'd bet Notre Dame, for example, profits because they're essentially a name brand, but they're one of few. Just about every (Insert random D1 school that finishes 5-6 every year in a mid-major conference) is hemorrhaging money on their sports programs.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 13, 2011

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how you guys can get through caste football. I thought it was some elaborate troll until I started reading it because of some joke in a thread last year. But it's too horribly racist for me to even find it amusing - it falls more into the 'sickening' category.

Detergent posted:

Leans closer to your 2nd option, but Roger Craig.

It's always going to be Roger Craig.

Because he was in an otherwise white backfield? (Montana, Rathman) Otherwise I don't get it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 14, 2011

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

From caste football:
"Whites have stronger arms period"? In a post that specifically mentions Vick, no less. Have they somehow managed to never see him throw? He's got arguably the biggest arm in the NFL. loving christ, the dude could probably knock my house down with a football.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy685 posted:

Haha yeah, for his size, vick is definitely the biggest arm in the NFL. The only two arms that are bigger are probably Cutler and... hum. Freeman maybe, he's got an absolute cannon.

And now that he's "in the league", Mallet. He's got an absolutely ridiculous arm.
Well, I did use a (VERY slight) bit of hyperbole there, and you're right. Cutler's probably got the biggest arm since vintage Favre. It just blew out all my logic circuits when they specifically mentioned Vick in that post then made such an utterly ridiculous statement. Hell, even adding those you named, that means 2 of the 4 strongest-armed QBs in the NFL are black.

I swear, CF must be getting really desperate for new ways to be racist and retarded. And yes, at the end of the day, arm strength is really a small piece of a quarterback's value (a certain JaMarcus, mentioned earlier, comes to mind), but the sheer level of stupid in that post was just :psypop:

As for QBs no longer in the league, I'll raise you one Warren Moon.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

NattyBo posted:

Really in my eyes, anyone who finds whatever it is inside him to hate Dan Snyder doesent know the meaning of being a redskin fan. Hate Like do whatever you want because everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Sure hes made mistakes as an owner, but inside do you truly believe hes trying everything he can 2 make the redskins into a winner? IF u say no, then i think you have no appreciation for anything or u just dont understand football. He became an owner after years of being a fan, with the millions of idiotic posts ive seen here iam sure have of redskin nation would have done a far worse job then Danny boy. Show the man some freaking love for god sakes, DAN SNYDER YOU ARE THE BEST OWNER IN THE NFL HANDS DOWN AND I BELIEVE THAT 100%....thank you for your time, money, and patience(2009-2011)..iam sure you r leading us with bruce and shanny towards a brighter future
Really? Dear god, this poor guy has warped around the other end of delusional into some alternate reality.

I feel only pity and sorrow.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

patsfans thread entitled "How to Meet Women on patsfans.com"

:stare:
You've got to be kidding me. :laffo:

drat, just when I thought I'd seen it all on the internet.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Blitz7x posted:

Hass is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGZsPLDkY8
That is the best loving thing. I've seen some sound FX episodes of Hass mic'd (if you haven't, go find them, they're great - especially the one where he calls no play in the huddle and yells a bunch of bullshit under center, then laughs when the defense jumps) but this about takes the cake.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Claw Massage posted:

Ratbirds
Nice. Bonus points for the dozen or so ? and ! in that post too.

And if you're seriously bitching about Harrison getting a suspension that's a few years overdue, :frogout:

E: oh god I didn't realize what thread I was in. :downs: I'll leave this here so you can laugh at me, though.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 14, 2011

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Morby posted:

Yeah, but there are also folks who still :qq: about the Texans "missing out" on Vince Young. Sports fans are dumb.

Even now? That's loving mind blowing after seeing how good Schaub has been for quite a while now. Honestly that hurts my brain. I could see it that one year the Titans were on a winning streak with Young as the starter (I can't justify it but I can at least see why idiots would believe it) ...but... now? Really?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Menamino posted:

speaking of scheming

I love football conspiracy theories :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is 'Bama even the most dominant team in their conference, football wise? I know little about college football, other than where some dudes who have played or are currently playing went.

Yes. They've won 23 SEC championships and Tennessee is a distant second place with 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Febreeze posted:

Pats fans have gotten so delusional

We didn't make the superbowl guys, cut everything

Wow. Just... :stare:

Why yes, let's get rid of our HoF QB because of a playoff loss to a hot team.

Of course, if this did happen I can only imagine the keggers thrown by every other AFC East team's fans.

• Locked thread