Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Falli Wagga posted:

I've been trying to get all my paperwork in order to start this fall, but the cut off for turning in my Certificate of Eligibility for the post 9-11 is this Friday and I still have not gotten it in the mail. All that I get when I call the VA is some old fart who can't use a computer telling me that it is processing and that it will take some amount of time between now and the end of time then it will be mailed to me. When I first started I would check the website under status of my gi bill enrollment and it would pop up with an error, this last time I checked it had a page called Education Enrollment Status with my name and all this info including benefit level and remaining entitlement, does anyone know if this means my claim went through? Is this page good enough to give the vets center on campus? Is there like a signature or something on the Certificate of Eligibility that makes it so only that form works? Does the VA know its 2015 and they can email things?

I used that page ad proof to my university that I qualified for GI benefits until my CoE got in so you might try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Falli Wagga posted:

I've been trying to get all my paperwork in order to start this fall, but the cut off for turning in my Certificate of Eligibility for the post 9-11 is this Friday and I still have not gotten it in the mail. All that I get when I call the VA is some old fart who can't use a computer telling me that it is processing and that it will take some amount of time between now and the end of time then it will be mailed to me. When I first started I would check the website under status of my gi bill enrollment and it would pop up with an error, this last time I checked it had a page called Education Enrollment Status with my name and all this info including benefit level and remaining entitlement, does anyone know if this means my claim went through? Is this page good enough to give the vets center on campus? Is there like a signature or something on the Certificate of Eligibility that makes it so only that form works? Does the VA know its 2015 and they can email things?

Don't try to reason with the VA. It takes as long as it takes and there's nothing that anybody can do about it. The website status might be enough to satisfy the school for the time being, but they will obviously want the real deal when it arrives. Check with them.

The Slithery D posted:

So I applied for post-9/11 GI Bill benefits about 10 days ago, and have only received an email acknowledging it's being processed. I'm supposed to start an MBA next week. The normal payment date was apparently today.

Any idea when I get my letter of verification of benefits? I guess I'll try to call and find out in the morning. If I have to I can pay an installment (or the whole thing) and get reimbursed later, but I know that's not how the post 9/11 is supposed to work, so I'd like to avoid it. Late registration payment deadline is apparently August 28, so that might be the way to go.

Any advice on how long this takes, and whether you can actually get reimbursed?

...you applied for your benefits 14-ish days prior to your classes starting? Oh man, I hope that they teach risk avoidance in your MBA program. If you're incredibly lucky you'll have it sorted by the second or third week in September. It takes 5-7 weeks for a new claim to be processed, and it could be actually closer to 8ish weeks since the Fall semester is by far the busiest time. But yes, you can pay it up front and ultimately get the money back, so if you have to do that (or at least set up a payment plan) and it'll eventually get sorted.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I only decided to attend at the last second, it was a back up plan. I also thought you needed to know you were admitted and where you were going before you can apply, and this wasn't exactly an apply months in advance thing. Ok, I can pay it all and get reimbursed whenever.

Falli Wagga
May 9, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

The Slithery D posted:

I only decided to attend at the last second, it was a back up plan. I also thought you needed to know you were admitted and where you were going before you can apply, and this wasn't exactly an apply months in advance thing. Ok, I can pay it all and get reimbursed whenever.

I just went today and they took the printout from me as proof of verification. It was on the benefits page under manage then education then check gibill status or something like that. The page loaded an error for me until my claim was done and then it was a page I could print with all the info they needed so I'd keep checking that if I were you

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I have not seen any payments made to my school for summer semester tuition payments. I have received BAH and book stipends and it shows that I have been certified on the ebenefits website. Has anyone received tuition payment for the summer semester or are we still waiting for payment?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

- edit lol nvm guess I just never checked that

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 20, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yellow Ribbon is rad as hell. :slick:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Does the letter the VA sends after you sign up for classes have the months of the upcoming semester deducted already from your remaining benefits?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Does the letter the VA sends after you sign up for classes have the months of the upcoming semester deducted already from your remaining benefits?

Yes. The letter will usually say 'after this certifying period, you will have [benefits left]'

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One of my classes was unexpectedly cancelled yesterday and I had to sign up for a different one. The tuition was already paid for the first classes. The bill will be the exact same with the new class. Do I need to do anything to make sure everything is okay?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

blue squares posted:

One of my classes was unexpectedly cancelled yesterday and I had to sign up for a different one. The tuition was already paid for the first classes. The bill will be the exact same with the new class. Do I need to do anything to make sure everything is okay?

No, certification is only the number of credit hours and the cost. If none of that changes it's irrelevant.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vasudus posted:

No, certification is only the number of credit hours and the cost. If none of that changes it's irrelevant.
Thanks for the quick response as always, Vas

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Does GI Bill certification come via snail mail / will an electronic version appear on ebenefits?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zeris posted:

Does GI Bill certification come via snail mail / will an electronic version appear on ebenefits?

Both. My college allows me to use a screenshot of my ebenfits stuff. I send them the page that says how many months I have remaining.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That being said my school required the actual official letter because they'll ask you a 100 times how much you have left. I think I remember the ebenefits but can you over if you need some proof.

Also I called and got the letter mailed and emailed but I don't think she was supposed to do the latter. I was just polite

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How does dropping a class in the first week of the semester work? Does the school give the money directly to the VA or do I have to get it and send it to them? 19 credit hours is too many for me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SperginMcBadposter posted:

How does dropping a class in the first week of the semester work? Does the school give the money directly to the VA or do I have to get it and send it to them? 19 credit hours is too many for me.

If its a state school and you're on 9/11 GiB and you're still full time then it shouldn't change anything on your end.

19 credit hours is too many for anyone unless like 4 of them are a PE course

Iirc you said your benefits are running out but if you have a day left worth of benefits that will cover you for the whole semester

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've done 18 and 20 hour semesters and got all A's, its just about good time management.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

I've done 18 and 20 hour semesters and got all A's, its just about good time management.

Your innate insufferability no doubt made you some sort of rhetoric savant

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

blue squares posted:

- a rhetoric major

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

- a rhetoric major

You can do it as a STEM major, but you better be planning your entire semester about a month before it starts.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

True, my classes are easier than STEM majors. I shouldn't have posted that anyway.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You can do it as a STEM major, but you better be planning your entire semester about a month before it starts.

The pucker factor on that kind of class load as a STEM major who in all likelihood is going to have a handful of labs and poo poo like that to go with your already insane schedule... gently caress.

And God forbid you actually need to learn anything that semester.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

blue squares posted:

True, my classes are easier than STEM majors. I shouldn't have posted that anyway.

I'm not going to get on the bandwagon here with you, but my last semester consisted of 12 carefully crafted credits. I maybe had 3 weekends out of 5 months that weren't dedicated to work. The whole "class to study time" was completely meaningless as a concept.

e: As a primer, I took two senior design capstone classes that were meant for different disciplines. My experience is not a direct reflection on a gentlemans guide to higher education.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 26, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The only times I get insanely busy with school are when I have group projects because I inevitably have to do the work of four or five people mostly by myself

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
People who cannot brag about pulling in a high GPA: communication, rhetoric, English, zyr studies students

-an advertising major

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok, question for other milgoons:

I used my Post-9/11 last year and due to my job and long hours, was only able to attend one class during a summer semester, and at night.

Now I have received a call from a bill collector representing the school I attended (a local community college). I got a VM from them and called back within 20 minutes after I listened to the VM to figure out what the hell was going on, and when they told me it was the school trying to collect a debt, I told them that I had filed all the paperwork and was told by the relevant school representatives that I was good on paperwork and had it all completed. The debt collector rep told me she'd communicate this to the school and I haven't heard anything else. Should I call back and see what's up, or should I contact the school directly?

Better yet, does the Post-9/11 require me to attend class continuously? I was told I needed to follow a degree plan and choose a degree I wanted to get, which I did--the class I took was part of that degree plan but was a core class and not necessarily a class that pertained to the degree itself, just something the degree plan said was required.

So is it more likely the paperwork was wrong and something needs to be corrected there, or that I have to attend class continuously and have used up my Post-9/11 benefits unwittingly?

And while I'm here, is it true I could only have transferred my benefits to my children while I was still in the military and that I cannot do it now?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

life is killing me posted:

Ok, question for other milgoons:

I used my Post-9/11 last year and due to my job and long hours, was only able to attend one class during a summer semester, and at night.

Now I have received a call from a bill collector representing the school I attended (a local community college). I got a VM from them and called back within 20 minutes after I listened to the VM to figure out what the hell was going on, and when they told me it was the school trying to collect a debt, I told them that I had filed all the paperwork and was told by the relevant school representatives that I was good on paperwork and had it all completed. The debt collector rep told me she'd communicate this to the school and I haven't heard anything else. Should I call back and see what's up, or should I contact the school directly?

Better yet, does the Post-9/11 require me to attend class continuously? I was told I needed to follow a degree plan and choose a degree I wanted to get, which I did--the class I took was part of that degree plan but was a core class and not necessarily a class that pertained to the degree itself, just something the degree plan said was required.

So is it more likely the paperwork was wrong and something needs to be corrected there, or that I have to attend class continuously and have used up my Post-9/11 benefits unwittingly?

And while I'm here, is it true I could only have transferred my benefits to my children while I was still in the military and that I cannot do it now?

What do you mean attend class continuously? If you drop a course or get a W you will be responsible for paying for it depending on these situation. If you dropped out then there's a good chance you owe money, but I would think that someone would have contacted you before a bill collector.

If you mean do you have to use it for 36 months continuously then the answer is no, you can use it in portions however you see fit for the 10 years it lasts after you separate.

I was you I would call the school directly and ask them what the gently caress is up because having a bill in collections is bad for your credit score. They're gonna know alot more than the piece of poo poo working at the collections agency.

I dunno about transferring benefits but using the GI bill to attend 1 night class seems like an awful waste. You don't get nearly as much BAH $$$ and the benefits run out based on days used, not money spent. Call the VA to check your benefit status and call the school to see why your bills are in collections

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Is there any way to get free money, other than TA, while on active duty? I don't really feel like selling my life for another 2 years for a measly 750$. Real masters programs are expensive.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What do you mean attend class continuously? If you drop a course or get a W you will be responsible for paying for it depending on these situation. If you dropped out then there's a good chance you owe money, but I would think that someone would have contacted you before a bill collector.

If you mean do you have to use it for 36 months continuously then the answer is no, you can use it in portions however you see fit for the 10 years it lasts after you separate.

I was you I would call the school directly and ask them what the gently caress is up because having a bill in collections is bad for your credit score. They're gonna know alot more than the piece of poo poo working at the collections agency.

I dunno about transferring benefits but using the GI bill to attend 1 night class seems like an awful waste. You don't get nearly as much BAH $$$ and the benefits run out based on days used, not money spent. Call the VA to check your benefit status and call the school to see why your bills are in collections

I didn't drop out, I finished and passed the class.

I had intended to keep taking classes but I work 60+ hours a week. I don't know when I'll be able to start back up again.

I know the debt collector rep won't know anything, but I basically disputed the debt and didn't know what, if any, steps to take afterward. I don't really need the BAH and do not have the time to take the amount semester hours needed to be eligible for BAH. I mean, I could stop working and just focus on school, but my wife and I need my income to supplement hers, and it's currently higher than what I'd be getting out of BAH.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

life is killing me posted:

I didn't drop out, I finished and passed the class.

I had intended to keep taking classes but I work 60+ hours a week. I don't know when I'll be able to start back up again.

I know the debt collector rep won't know anything, but I basically disputed the debt and didn't know what, if any, steps to take afterward. I don't really need the BAH and do not have the time to take the amount semester hours needed to be eligible for BAH. I mean, I could stop working and just focus on school, but my wife and I need my income to supplement hers, and it's currently higher than what I'd be getting out of BAH.

I'd call your schools registrar office and certifying official to see exactly what they have to say

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

How is my school always over charging the VA by like $11-$8. Each of the past semesters I've gotten a "we paid you too much!" letter.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
So I put in for my post 9/11 and they denied it saying I require 90 days active duty time minimum. I'm looking at my DD214 right here in front of me and I have about 10 months. What's the deal?

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

So I put in for my post 9/11 and they denied it saying I require 90 days active duty time minimum. I'm looking at my DD214 right here in front of me and I have about 10 months. What's the deal?

Did you have a minimum obligation you didn't discharge? Without more information, the range of answers is from clerical incompetence to lack of sufficient time after obligated service.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I took 18 credits last semester at a decently hard school and I do not recommend it. The level of work involved (especially in the last two months) was brutal.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

If I pick up another class in the first week, raising my credit hours from 12 to 15, do I have to resubmit anything to the VA or my financial aid peeps? I'm at 60% on my Post 9/11 GI Bill, if that helps.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Thump! posted:

If I pick up another class in the first week, raising my credit hours from 12 to 15, do I have to resubmit anything to the VA or my financial aid peeps? I'm at 60% on my Post 9/11 GI Bill, if that helps.

If 12 credit hours is full time at your school then it shouldn't make a difference. You should probably inform your certifying official anyway, they're the one who will pass on any relevant information to the VA.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Sacrilage posted:

Did you have a minimum obligation you didn't discharge? Without more information, the range of answers is from clerical incompetence to lack of sufficient time after obligated service.

Nothing like that dude. I'm a reservist. So I'm still technically serving. I ask this because a shippie of mine in my unit got his GI bill with even less active duty time than me and I didn't. Its confusing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I took classes at a different program last year and I'm starting an MBA this Fall. I got the change of program form in to the VA near the end of June but the certifying official at this school didn't certify my classes until about 16 days ago. How long should I be planning to wait for the VA to pay out to either the school or me? I know last year it was faster but they also got my form in early instead of sitting on it for 2 months like this guy did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When I look at my time remaining on Ebenefits (14 months and 11 days), does that include the days of this semester that have not yet happened (i.e., tomorrow through December)? Or has the whole semester already been subtracted? I am trying to just make sure I have enough time left to do my last three semesters after this one.

• Locked thread