Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I read this thread to the best of my ability. Screen brightness is on its lowest possible setting and I'm running on very low battery power (my cheap Bahrain plug converter broke earlier).

My family lives close to a community college, and there are two good universities about an hour away. Could I live with them and collect the E5 BAH stipend pay, or do I need to provide documentation to someone claiming that I'm living at an apartment nearby college? I'd really like to save and apply that money to get my master's degree.

After reading this thread, I'd really like to go to college out of state. I like home, Indiana, but going to college somewhere else especially if they offer better programs or something better. Just living in another state would be awesome. Anyone have any experience with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I'm waiting on admission status for Spring semester. The due date for applications is today. I can check online to see the status of my application and it still says under review. This is killing me. If I get accepted I still have to go through the college's VA rep to get the payments processed. I'm very worried.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

On the plus side, you don't have a bill until you're accepted. At the worst, you'll be shorted ~12 days of BAH for a short time period until your benefits are rolling. Not the end of the world.

Unless you don't get accepted, that would suck. Good luck.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm not going to get accepted. I'm going to go down to the admissions office and try and sneak my way an audience with someone who is not a student working at the admissions office. I have terrible grades from high school, and I do understand that would be a reason why I didn't get accepted into the computer science program. Maybe they'll let me in on a probationary status or I can go in under exploratory/undeclared then switch later.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Like looking in a mirror. Except substitute lovely high school grades with lovely (lots) of college grades.

Just gonna apply for next fall with a few recommendations and a well-written explanation of the situation. I'd appeal to WSU this semester, but by the time I got a response would probably be 3 days before the semester starts and I'm going to need weeks to finalize all of my poo poo where I am now.

I couldn't sit around until fall to go to college. That would drive me nuts especially working a job or collecting unemployment.

I went down there and they told me I had already been accepted. They are just terribly late with updating their online student center. Now I have 30 days to get everything else in gear and be ready for Spring semester.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I feel pretty good about life. I got my book stipend earlier this month. I see my [prorated] BAH deposit pending in my bank account. Passing all my assignments with flying colors. Just purchased 2 grand worth of parts for a PC I'm building, and these PC parts should be arriving in a couple of days. I can't believe that a year ago I was looking through the last thread and this thread and I was freaking out.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

camino posted:

Uggg. This made me check, and I have a pending deposit of $4.34 and nothing else. At what point should I start freaking out?

I'm can't verify this to be true, but I heard if you have an e-benefits account you can see the status of your payment. I think an e-benefits account also costs money which if true is absolute garbage.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

So I have all As in my classes. Getting my BAH without interruption. It is spring break, so I decided to take the girlfriend to Florida. We're staying with her rich grandparents in a nice little town near Destin and Panama City. Ate so much sushi, crab legs, SHRAMPS, and crab rangoon at this awesome buffet. Life is freaking great. FTN.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Fully signed up for summer classes and fall classes. I plan on going for one more semester at this community college before I transfer to Purdue or University of Illinois Champaign Urbana. Purdue is less than an hour away and would be a painless transition, but going to and having UICU give me my degree could open more doors for me.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I didn't realize there was any support for going to a CC as opposed to a full university especially with the GI Bill paying the way there. I think there is better opportunity especially going to UIUC for a degree based on name recoginition, and then later on I could go there for a graduate program, research opportunity, or having a shot at being hired by the bigger companies.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Checked my bank account and noticed I'm only getting $234. I'm guessing taking summer classes has tripped up the VA reps. Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow to see what's going on.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Jesus H Nyce posted:

If anyone is having the same issue as me, I just spoke with the VA and they said that the payment was for my first set of classes. The rest of my payment should be in by the 6th. The rep said they send out 2 different payments since I had a break in between classes and that the 2nd payment is taking longer due to something on the treasuries end.

Yeah, I called my campus VA rep and that's what they told me. They resubmitted my documents though, so I don't know if that'll take longer for my cash to come in. Either way, I'm relieved because I'm moving into a new apartment next month.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Risket posted:

I'm currently going to school at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, and abusing the poo poo out of my 9/11 GI Bill, but I'm a little confused about the Pell Grant.

I've read in this thread, and I believe I'm understanding correctly, that the money gotten from the Pell Grant is paid directly to you, as it isn't necessary for funding the tuition as the GI Bill takes care of 17,000/year, with the rest taken care of via the Yellow Ribbon program if it's needed and your school participates in the program (IUPUI does).

My Pell Grant money, however, is paid to the school, and is viewable on my statement (see attached picture). Is there a reason why the school is getting the Pell Grant money instead of me? Why isn't the GI Bill paying the full tuition?

Thanks for making this thread, my school's VA office has been pretty unhelpful in just about any problem I've had.

I'm going ot IUPUI and I didn't get a Pell Grant. :( How long did it take for you before you were notified that you were getting a Pell Grant? Also, for some reason on my FAFSA it won't let me say I'm a veteran.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Its on the page with the questions determining whether or not you need to provide parents information with the form.

For some strange reason it is grayed out.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Risket posted:

You have to apply for the Pell Grant through the FAFSA application on https://www.fafsa.ed.gov. It told me on my FAFSA Student Aid Report that I was getting it, which took I think a week to get after I finished the FAFSA application. As far as I know, it doesn't matter whether or not you're veteran for the Pell Grant, as it's eligibility is determined by your adjusted gross income. (Please note that I may not know what I'm talking about!)

Speaking of that, did you import your tax information via their IRS import tool? When I did that apparently it screwed up a few things on my FAFSA application and I had to get it corrected. Give Marilee at 317.274.3117 (Financial Aid) a call, she walked me through the whole thing.

Woo hoo!I'm getting $5200!

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Risket posted:

:woop:

Quick note: Keep your grades up! My wife had thyroid cancer, which with her recovering left me little time for classes. Because I failed the two classes that I was taking at this time, the school is now denying me Financial Aid because my GPA fell below 2.0. Going to try to appeal this because I could really use that $750 right now, but I'm not going to get all mad if they deny me because it does specify that you need to keep your GPA above 2.0.

Anyway, study hard and all that.

I'll keep that in mind. I have a 4.0 GPA from the spring semester and aiming to keep it in the 3.5+ range for 2012-13. Thanks for your help!

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Barely scraping by summer school session 1 with a B+ in Advanced Algebra. I don't know how I'm going to do at Trigonometry when I start that in two weeks. Never taking summer math classes again!

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I just moved to an apartment, and I've been updating my accounts to reflect my new address. I looked around on the va.gov website and through VONAPP for where to change my address, but I couldn't figure anything out. I tried registering for e-benefits, but I don't believe I registered properly. Is there something I'm missing about changing my address? Also, is there some proper way to register for e-benefits?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Second semester of college, here we go! Class from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Chem101, Alg&Trig2, Beginner's Spanish, Basic Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, IntrotoCompSci, and Qualntitative Analysis.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

moker posted:

Thats quite a load dang

21 hours?

My schedule is 17 credit hours, but total time spent in class is about 14 and 1/2 hours. I have an 1 hour and 15 minute break midday for each day to eat lunch and recoup. I took 15 credit hours last Spring and I took 4 classes spread over two sessions this summer. Summer was a beast, but if I can do that and Spring I think I can do this. I wanted to take some other class like Self-Defense, Beginner Piano, Basketball, or some other extracurricular for like an extra credit hour just for fun, but I couldn't fit any more classes into my schedule without having to go on Thursday or Friday.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Just be glad you're doing Alg&Trig2 in a regular semester. That poo poo sucked to cram through in a month.

I'm aiming to get my Bachelor's in three years, so I'll probably be taking another math class and whatever CompSci classes I can over the next two summers. I just got really depressed as I typed that because it'll be a long time till I get a summer vacation.

Also, I think I'm getting the first part of my BAH deposited. It isn't much but it is something. The first half of my Pell Grant is on my bank account $$$$

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Spongebob Tampax posted:

So you'll do calc 1 in the spring, then calc 2&3 in the summer. Friend of mine here did that, spent the entire summer grinding on that math. Came out of both with Cs, but was just glad to have them out of the way.

I can't say it's a bad idea, but it's not always a good one.

I started classes May '11 and haven't stopped. It's been 15 months, going to be at least another year of summer classes, so it'll be 36 months straight without a summer break. Semester breaks are your saving grace. And your apparent scheduling ability. I have classes all week this semester. gently caress.

Well, I like math, and I can be good at it when I don't slack off like I did for Alg&Trig1 this summer. Plus, I don't want to get a job unless it is something relative to CS, but the closest I can come to that is IT work at the university.

But yeah, now that you spelled it out it does sound daunting.

Vasudus posted:

Had a nuke take calc 1 during summer A, calc 2 during summer B, then take foundations of mathematics and linear algebra during summer C. Dude was a loving machine.

Wow. Beasting it!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh no poo poo? I was expecting 2 weeks after! That loving rules!

e: Thanks, you really made my day with that.

This semester's portion of my Pell Grant refund was deposited in my bank account last night. I paid some bills, purchased Sleeping Dogs, and I barely put a dent into that amount. Now comes the challenging part of not spending my money on frivilous poo poo.

grover posted:

Best summer course I ever took was Scuba diving. 90 minutes of playing in the pool every day? For college credit? Yes, please!

That's offered at my university, but it doesn't help you certify for Scuba. Definitely on my list of fun classes to take someday.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

sharkbomb posted:

The next incarnation of this thread should include a rough timetable of when to expect various benefits/payments from schools and the VA. I start class in two days but am not really sure when I should be expecting my benefits to begin...

Can someone give me a rough timetable on when an incoming student should start looking for these benefits to hit the bank?

Pell Grants:
Federal Direct Subsidized Loans:
GI Bill BAH:
GI Bill books:

I got my Pell Grant and GI Bill for books a couple of weeks ago before school started. I'm getting my BAH tomorrow but apparently they're splitting it up in two payments - one the 29th and the 31st. At least that is what I'm assuming they're doing because this first deposit is grossly underwhemled, and I'm about to make a call to confirm this,

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Any time a month falls into two different enrollment periods (Summer and Fall 2012 in this case), the VA splits up your BAH payments. Your first period will be the days of August that fall under Summer and about 3 to 5 days later your second payment will cover the couple days of August that fall under Fall.

You're definitely right. This first payment is for the first 6 days of this month I was in summer session, and I'm getting my next payment at the end of the week. Also, BAH here went up to 1170 to 1227.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

KetTarma posted:

When you make the new OP please add in a warning about the Pell grant only being for first time degree seekers. I curse my ignorance of that fact daily.

Also: Turned in my COE today. Should get that sweet, sweet federal teat money soon.

So I'm going for a bachelor's, but once I meet the requirements for an associates does that mean Pell Grants stop coming in? Do I automatically get an associates degree if I'm working for a BS in CompSci?

I just looked at my college's website, and there is no list for an associates for CompSci. I guess I'm good, but what about for others working for a bachelor's degree?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Ah, not so fast there. I wore out my Pell Grant 10 years ago with a trade school certification program. You can always find a way to waste it. I just had no idea at the time that I'd be going to a real college a decade down the road and didn't know about the one degree rule, didn't care. Hooray for being young and dumb. Got two disbursements out of it, what a loving waste.

Are you in a community college or an actual university? If you're in a CC working on a university parallel associates, you'll be wasting time in classes you don't need. I'm not kidding. I took two history classes, an extra social science class, an extra arts class, and a speech class that the CC wanted for the UP associates, but the university didn't give two dick shakes about. If you're in CC to build credit hours to get into a university (I needed 24), stick to your math, writing, and science classes, as well as whatever your eventual university wants, like macro-econ or whatever.

I liked my CC, but goddamnit they got some free money out of that poo poo.

I go to a CC - Indiana University Purdue University of Indianapolis. The CS degree is issued by Purdue which I heard is high up for those interested in engineering and I think not a bad choice for CompSci majors. I don't know how this partnership works. I don't know how equally or less valid a BS of CompSci is compared to going to and earning from going to the actual Purdue university. Despite the concern, I've resided to just getting my 4 year degree here because it is the most convenient choice. If I decide to do my master, IUPUI offers some accelerated program to get your master's in one year. However, if I wanted to get my master's I'd try to find a way to go to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign which I've read to be a top 5 school for Comp Sci.

If for some reason I find myself the opportunity to go to Purdue or UIUC, then I do have a few extra courses that won't apply. Otherwise, I'm near the requirements for either university.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I filed for unemployment a few days ago, and I received an e-mail today to go to the local Work One office to tell them I'm a full time student and should get a waiver for job searching. Hello WELFARE.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Maybe I missed it in the first post, but for 9/11 you get up to $17,500 per year for tuition. My school probably charges about 4 grand for 18 credit hours, and to go above that I'd have to file a waiver. Will 9/11 cover that?

Also, I'm taking Algebra and Trigonometry II, and I'm not doing so hot. I'm going to meet my minimum requirement to go to the next math class, but a weak foundation in math doesn't help when going to the next level. I'd like to take that class again, but am I right in thinking 9/11 won't pay for it since I've already taken it? What if I took a combination of Algebra and Trigonometry I and II that is one class instead of two, would they pay for that?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

KetTarma posted:

For them to pay, it has to be part of your degree plan. Your school's certifying official will decide if it is part of your plan or not. Some schools don't care and let you take fencing classes or whatever. Some schools go over your plan with a fine-toothed comb and stab you in the back.

Remedial classes and do-overs don't count, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as math: Going to class every day, asking the teacher to work example problems, and doing 100% of the homework is how you succeed.

So far nobody has said anything about me taking classes not on my degree plan. I think that is a terribly policy. Military veterans should be able to take whatever class they want, but if they don't work on getting a degree then the fault is on them.

Godholio posted:

If it's a state school, they cover it. If it's private, that's the 17.5 limit.

State school. $$$$

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I don't spend enough time studying for trigonometry. I need to drop the class. I'm at 17 credit hours, and full time here is 12 credit hours. Will I have to repay anything for a Withdrawal? What if the professor is a dick about it(he is) and gives me a failing grade upon me dropping the class? How will this affect my Pell Grant from this semester and the next?

I've had a few bad weeks these last three or four weeks. I purposely bombed a chem test because I decided not to study. If I don't miss any points after this I'll get an A in chemistry. All my other classes I'm doing great in because the course work is easier to understand therefore do.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Withdrawal in your case will be fine - so long as the billable hours remain the same it shouldn't be a problem. Professors can't give you a failing grade if you withdraw - you get a W on your transcript and that's it. Unless you drop super late, at which point you get either a WP (withdraw-passing) or WF (withdraw-failing) which simply indicates your current status at the time of withdrawal on your transcript. So long as you remain full time status, your pell grant will be unaffected.

Thanks Vasadus.

I just spoke with the VA office on campus, and they said the same thing. I've been worried all day that I'm going to owe a lot, but I guess the possible amount I'd pay back is relatively small.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

After living in my state for 20 something years and going to school here for three semesters, I just found out there is a VA hospital on campus. It is the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical center with some other VA things around it. I've only been sick a few times while I was enlisted, and one time "I accidentally hit my head on my rack" and busted it open. Any reason I should go? Do I just call them up or is there a special procedure?

EDIT: Nevermind, found this thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394073

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I really need to talk to my VA rep, so I can plan out my summer. All the courses I really wanted to take were online, and while I like that I need to take some bullshit easy course on campus to get my full BAH.

Here's a list of courses I want to take this summer:

Eight Weeks
May 8 - July 3
CIT 17600 - INFORMATION TECH ARCHITECTURES
3 CR

CIT 20700 - DATA COMMUNICATIONS
3 CR

CIT 21400 - INTRODUCTION TO DATA MANAGEMENT
3 CR

1ST SUMMER
May 8 to June 19
CSCI-N 301 - FUNDAMENTAL COMP SCI CONCEPTS
3 CR

2ND SUMMER
June 24 - Aug 5
CSCI 24000 - COMPUTING II
4 CR

CIT 21200 - WEB SITE DESIGN
3 CR

All those courses are going to be easy, and they lead up to the higher courses and some CIT minors. The only one that is going to be a pain in CSCI 24000 where I'll be learning on my own to program in C, C++, Java, Python, and something else for a full semester course in six weeks. Despite being a pain, give me a half day or a day and I'll put together whatever poo poo they want for a project and go above and beyond for the A+.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Do they do the same thing with government loans? I could use a lot of extra money.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

If you take loans/grants/scholarships or whatever in conjunction with your GI Bill, provided that the GI Bill pays the balance entirely, you would get refunded the other stuff. This creates a negative balance, ie money owed to you.

Example: School costs 10,000/year. Take loans for 10,000 and grants for 5,000.

Normal Student: 10k goes to bill, 5k goes to student.
Veteran: GI Bill pays school, 15k goes to student.

Second Example: School costs 20,000/year. Take loans for 10,000 and grants for 5,000.

Normal Student: 15k goes to bill, student left with 5,000 out of pocket expenses.
Veteran: GI Bill pays 18,300. 1,700 goes from grants/loans to pay school, 13,300 goes to student.

In some cases, taking a student loan may be in your financial interest. If you are planning on returning to government service, particularly one that has SLRP (like State, Energy and other big departments) you can get them paid off at little effort to you. Loans might also be necessary for cost of living while in school; for example those with spouses or children.

Thanks Vasudus. I'm probably just going to tighten my belt, and hope I pick up a spot next academic year for some IT work or some intern CompSci position.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Mad Pino Rage
School: Indiana University Purdue University - Indianapolis
Major: BS Computer Science
Minor: Math

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I took a government subsidized loan for this summer, and I'm thinking of taking it for next school year. I'm confident that I'll get an okay entry job for a BS in Computer Science that will help me pay it all back in due time. Anyone have any experiences with paying back government subsidized student loans?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

So in the extremely likely case that I place into remedial math, the GI Bill will cover such a course irrespective of the fact that I should be, as a grown man, test beyond Math 101?

Nothing wrong with having to start at the bottom. Unless you were doing something math heavy in your time in the military, you probably need to start at the bottom. You'll have the edge over your younger peers because you'll have the discipline to get your work done, and the wits about you to learn it because getting a good degree and a good job is way better than being in the military.

I started last spring at Math 101, and including that course and the one I'm in now, I've taken five math courses. I'm taking two semesters of calculus and another semester's worth of higher level math this summer, and looking forward(not really! ha ha!) to about two math courses per semester until I graduate. Of course, I'm suicidal and going for a math degree, but that's because it fits nicely with my computer science degree.

If you haven't taken your placement test then go to khanacademy.com or patrickjmt.com to brush up on your maths.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Maxing out my Stafford Loans, because not having to worry about money rules. I didn't think about having maxed out my Stafford Loans cap for the year between fall and spring, so I was curious when my application for Stafford for the Summer got denied. But no worries, took a Sallie Mae loan to cover the difference.

I just think back to when I was an undergrad and scrounging under every mattress cushion for cash. That's not something I'm willing to go through again. I'll pay the premium for interest in exchange for having zero fucks given about money. In 13 months I'll be graduating probably Magna Cum Laude with a BS in Civil Engineering with internships and additional background in IT and Electronics, and I have exactly 0 ties to any part of the country. I'll be unemployed for about 10 seconds.

(Note: It would not be wise to adopt this mantra if you are not a STEM major)

e: Note Sallie Mae sucks, but they are already getting my money anyways so whats another couple of G's.

Thanks for the input. A year and a half of college has been really stressful, and I can't imagine how anyone could work a full time job or two and go to school full time if they're going for a STEM degree, a doctor, or a lawyer.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

KetTarma posted:

e) Declare a minor and add those classes to my degree plan to stay full time for this semester. This has the nasty side effect of making me have a 19 hour semester in the spring. On the bright side, I learn more computer programming which is always useful. Downside is that no one actually cares about minors

Any thoughts? I've been calling the hell out of my advisor but he's never there

If you want to learn a programming language then just do it for cheap and on your own time using a tutorial reference book or using a free online course like Coursera, Udacity, and CodeAcademy. If you already know C++, then why not check out C? Python is fun and powerful. Java is a popular language. I don't know how well Python or Java would fit with an engineering degree. I know very little about engineering, but after talking to engineering students and faculty they recommend learning programming languages LabVIEW and Matlab. If you are taking statistic or probability, then maybe try looking into R.

Maybe you could minor in something that would be easier for you to combine with your current major and eventually upgrade it to a second major. I'm currently considering this as Computer Science major where earning a minor in math is already given, and a lot of the requirements for a major in applied mathematics counts for both degrees or are prereqs for some upper level electives for CS.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Definitely does depend on your major and what classes you took. I got a 4.0 my first semester, but now it's in 3.6 to 3.8 limbo range because I slack off. I really need to do good and raise it to a 3.8 minimum because I am really considering doing graduate school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Anyone taking summer classes:

Has the VA paid your tuition yet? I'm starting to wonder what's up. I got my BAH stipend but my tuition still hasnt been paid. Normally its the reverse.

My summer tuition was paid April 22nd. I received my refund for my loan before summer classes started and getting my MHA.

• Locked thread