Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

safetyStanddown posted:

Thanks, that's pretty reassuring. I started out living in Skokie in late 2001 when I first came to the US, then moved farther northwest, lived around Mundelein/Vernon Hills/Libertyville until I enlisted straight out of high school in 2006. To me, Chicago is a place where gas is $8/gallon, cigarettes are $8/pack, and anyone who makes less than $2000/month lives either on the South Side or in a homeless shelter.

If you have questions about NU, shoot me a PM; I went there on the military's dime, and while they are still trying to get their VA poo poo together, they are getting better about it. The town's not cheap, but it's doable with the nice BAH they give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Should be able to now.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Badgers posted:

(while I'm here, passed all fall courses!)

:cheers:

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is mostly for Vasudus but anyone can chime in: I hear a lot of chatter about how much graduate schools (especially professional programs, such as MBA/MPP) value veteran experience and leadership and whatever. Is that just fluff? Does being a vet really give you an edge over the typical high-achieving undergrads? Say you're a vet who did well in undergrad, but for whatever reason your GRE/GMAT wasn't so hot, and you didn't have a litany of high-powered internships to bolster your app. Were you anyone else, you'd probably be able to crack the 2nd tier MBA programs, maybe. Would vet status give you a better shot at the those top tier programs?

Late to the party but figured I'd chime in.

You're not competing against high performing undergrad geniuses; you're performing against other military folks. Schools (especially MBA programs) have a set number of vets they want, and the top 10 schools have a dedicated veteran admission person who consults with the vet's club at the program to identify top vet talent. You are, therefore, judged and compared against other veterans, and no one else. It's worthwhile to keep that in mind as you apply, and frame your stories/accomplishments as such. No one cares that you managed a division; every vet did. What you ACCOMPLISHED there is the key.

Happy to talk through MBA/M.Eng admissions for anyone that wants to apply. Going through a T10 MBA program now, so can give the in and outs; failed pretty miserably in round 1 with HBS/GSB before I got my poo poo together for Wharton round 2. Wasn't pretty, but pulled it off in the end.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Zeris posted:

What's your military background?

Subs. Did 4 years fast attack out of PH, then did NTSD for last two years at a DESRON. Good FITREPS, which didn't matter, and great personal recommendations, which did matter a lot.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

seriously please tell more about this because im not actively doing this but info like this is priceless

Happy to expand; ask and I shall tell.

As far as admissions go, my understanding is that undergraduate admissions is similar, but not nearly as focused. I had a beer with the vet admissions officer for a good undergraduate program, and for them it was mainly "did you make the minimum bar for the school that year", "how did you rank against other people in the military", and "how did your non-military credentials fit into the school's overall target for diversity".

Anyhow, happy to say more, just ask.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Any take you have on the process would be welcome I'm sure. I've got 11 months left of my GI Bill burnin' a hole in my pocket, so I've started looking at MSCE/M Eng programs here locally (Villanova, Johns Hopkins, et al). Trying to work up the motivation to take the GRE with all of this free time I've got sitting around.

I feel ya. I made the supremely moronic mistake of not researching GRE/GMAT more, so I took the GMAT ("it's what MBA programs like") only to realize the M.Eng program requires GRE. Had to take the GRE halfway into my MBA program, which sucked rear end.

All in all though, as long as you score moderately well, most M.Eng programs are money-makers for the school; you are subsidizing the smart folks in the M.S. programs. Honestly, just go talk to the Dean of the M.Eng program, convince them you're serious and will pay full tuition, and you'll get in sure as anything. Deans have a lot of pull, and if they like you, life is easy.

Note: Helps if the program is small; my M.Eng program has 4 ppl/year, so if the program you're targeting has 200ppl/year, my advice on just waltzing into the Dean's office may be loving stupid.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

I had no idea that this was the case. Do all of the top schools do this?

For the MBA programs, absolutely. I can't really speak to any other type of program, as the MBA program is rather...special. For all intents and purposes, it's a huge rubber stamp; most the T10 programs (maybe all) have "grade non-disclosure" policies, so as soon as you get in it's really just a "do whatever the hell you want to further your own career".

Plenty of people with guaranteed jobs they love when they graduate just party. Some people just care about learning a few things, some people want to start a company, a family, etc etc.

That means for applicants all they care about is your personal ambition and what you'll bring to their network on graduation; as such, there is absolutely 0 point in comparing you to Mr. Goldman Sachs or Mrs. TFA; your experience set differs too much, and measuring your ambition and value against theirs doesn't create a reliable benchmark.

As such, most MBA programs just set a 6-9% Veteran population benchmark, and choose the best Vets that apply until they hit that number. Doesn't matter if every civilian applies with a 780 and letters from the President; you're being compared to Vets.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Here's another protip; if you're <100% GI Bill, go to grad school at a public school. MBA programs, M.Eng programs, Law School...all 40-70K/year. If you are 80% and go to a public grad school, however, they will pay 80% of that entire tuition, fees, school medical insurance, etc, whereas if you go to a private school, you get 80% of $21,084, the national private school cap.

All in all, can easily save you ~$100K. Especially if you leverage a top school acceptance to get grants/scholarships from a lower rated public school. In the end, a few ranks makes little difference, while 100K...yeah, it's a lot.

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

So I put in for my post 9/11 and they denied it saying I require 90 days active duty time minimum. I'm looking at my DD214 right here in front of me and I have about 10 months. What's the deal?

Did you have a minimum obligation you didn't discharge? Without more information, the range of answers is from clerical incompetence to lack of sufficient time after obligated service.

• Locked thread