Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
"My grades were poo poo when I started college, now I want to go back. What are my options?"

This sums me up right here. It's frustrating trying to figure out the loops I have to jump. Luckily there's a community college that'll help me get my GPA up a bit so I can at least transfer with an associates from a non CCAF school.

Fresh start doesn't apply since it's not been 10 years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Start with stating that you got denied (duh) and offer an acceptable rebuttal to the reasons why (they should tell you why). If your grades were poo poo from high school, and that was several years ago, give them a dose of patriotic horseshit about serving the country and bettering yourself since then. List various military accomplishments that may or may not be really that impressive, but sound impressive none the less.

Depending on the school and the reason you were denied, it shouldn't be too terrible. They expect most of their incoming students to be snot nosed teenagers and I bet you 99% of them are scared off immediately.

How do we find out if out if the school you are looking at has a veterans office?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Jaysus posted:

You go in and ask where the veteran's office is.

That's assuming the school I want to attend is within driving distance.Also assuming I can get in touch with someone over the phone that won't tell me whatever they want.

Is there a listing of VA friendly schools/ how to get in touch with each of them.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Jaysus posted:

It really is as easy as going to their website, calling any phone number you can find that is associated with the school and saying "Oh, could you connect me to the Veteran's Affairs office?"

Schools aren't like military recruiters. They aren't going to tell you whatever they want. They'll probably not want to deal with you at all, especially if it is the enrollments office, because they hate snot nosed little kids. So, they'll gladly pass you along to the VA office.

Basically I'm trying to get in touch with advisers for the schools I want to take. Not a single one will reply to emails or return messages. I guess I'll try the military advisers.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

When did they change it that your initial training counted towards the 80-100 percent 9/11 benefits and not towards the <70 percent. I seem to remember that initial training counted in no situations.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Jaysus posted:

Chicken, where are you trying to go? I have talked to VA dudes for all of my schools with no problem. I feel like you're doing something wrong.

I haven't contacted the VA dudes, I just found out about them. I've tried contacting the advisers for the colleges I'm interested in and get poo poo.

I'm looking at various engineering schools in texas. UT austin, Texas A&M, UTSA.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

Stuff

so what happened?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

t_bright posted:

How is the BAH payment credited to your account? Every 1st and 15th?

Yes, half on each.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

moker posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but CH33? I get paid once a month on the first

poo poo, thought this was regular military thread. I don't know how GI Bill works. But I think it's monthly.

BAH!= GI bill housing allowance.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Wife qualifies for pell grants, am I able to use pell grants+ USAF TA to pay for my tuition and books. I know USAF TA will not allow you to pay for books. But can I somehow use my pell grants for that purpose?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Can you be part time to qualify for pell grants?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Went to an education briefing and we were told that due to new changes while active duty you can pull your 9/11 to get a book stipend/ supplies. It's a max of 1000 per year. You get about 41.XX per credit hour. Stupidly I forgot to ask how it affects the rest of your GI bill, does it remove from your cap or is it a incentive to get people of montgomery.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Sarah posted:

$1,000 a year for books is a joke. Buying books used from the campus books store equals more than that a year for me. I got lucky and got one of the most expensive ones off of craigslist in good condition for pretty cheap. At least it is the same book that my husband and I both need for English, and we're in different classes at different times so we can share it.

Oh and turns out the school I'm going to, some books you HAVE to buy brand new because it comes with an activation code for an internet program that you have to use along with the course. If you buy a used book the code will cost you $80 separately, so might as well buy the book new.

Then I sit in all these classes this week, and find out half of the class probably won't even need the book, it's just there "in case" you need to look at it if you take lovely notes.

Oh and we paid for these books out of our unemployed pockets. I imagine the VA probably has 1 person sitting somewhere in a moldy basement manually thumbing through service records back to your first day of boot camp checking eligibility and then using crayons to draw you a certificate. I can't wait until I finally get it then get to jump through whatever other hoops there are for payment and backpay.

I apologize for being so sour and negative, but I honestly do no understand what the gently caress could possibly be taking this long. I'm pretty nervous about everything because the VA rep has already proved incompetent. We had a problem getting ID cards (turns out we can't, no way around it until VA pays school) and left a voicemail for him. Well, he did finally get back to us a few days later and said to just e-mail him from now on because he has a very heavy volume of phone calls and walk ins. I'd imagine all those veterans that got dropped are just a little angry they have a fee to pay before they can re-register classes. Which started on Wednesday. Which they should have been sitting in, they bought parking passes, stupidly expensive books out of pocket like we did... etc etc.

I'd not be able to take 25 credit hours a year as active duty. Maybe 15-18 though.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I start a class mid October. I dropped off my FAFSA verification at the school after completing it. I was told it takes 10 weeks. I should be fine until it gets processed but is this standard time or should I get a VA rep to push it through?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

It's about ten times easier to claim residency if you have that state listed on your DD214.

So you just dropped off your FAFSA? It takes awhile, maybe not 10 weeks but it isn't exactly speedy. VA certification takes ~2 weeks once entered into VA-ONCE.

I filled out my FAFSA a while back. They have some FAFSA verification form, and they required my tax forms from prior year.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I'm just short of 36 months of active duty service. I remember reading that it used to be tech training didn't include when calculating 9/11 percentage. Currently I have 19 months of "permanent party." where can I find out my GI percentage were I to palace chase early?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I have been waiting to switch to 9/11 until one or the other is clearly the better option for my scenario. I would use it for 2 years undergrad while doing traditional school. I might use a year or two after for grad school. Is there any reason not to switch to 9/11?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

You need to tear your certifying official a new rear end in a top hat, because he's directly at fault.

Can you explain what happened and why accident is in quotations. Could a certifying official benefit by changing the numbers?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Spongebob Tampax posted:

/\/\ gently caress what those people want, call them now and get started if you plan on taking summer semesters, which usually start around the first of June. Start now, because it's only going to get harder to deal with the longer you wait. Longer lines, more people, waiting on book orders, or whatever. It's all avoidable, just go take care of everything now.

If your school is anything like mine (maybe), you may have a dedicated vet only adviser. Call your couseling/advising office to figure that out. Unless your school is ancient in the technology department, you should be able to enroll in classes online. Assuming there isn't a walkthrough on their website, you can find out from your adviser on enrolling procedures.

Just a small piece of obvious advice, get classes you'll probably dislike out of the way in the summer, like speech. I took it last summer just to keep it to a month of bullshit instead of four, and was rewarded with a lighter workload (4 speeches instead of 6-7 and no midterm or final, don't expect it though) and a satisfactory B. This summer is math, math, math for my rear end, but that's my own drat fault.

Or try CLEPing speech if possible very easy if you have any experience in talking to crowds or have taken a single psych class.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Sent an email to the advisor of the program I want to attend school at asking questions about my specific situation. Here's hoping I can start school Fall 2013.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

The school I'm hopefully starting back up in 2013 has a nice program but it also has a co-op program as well. It's awesome for the networking element and there are no requirements to pay for anything... Will doing 2 semesters then working a semester mess up any of my gi bill enrollments/ paperwork?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Also how does using the book allowance as active duty consume monthly benefits I remember 12 months ago NOBODY KNEW.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

No :(

The VA never got back to me, and my boss whose been doing this for almost 40 years shrugged at the question.

At this point you might want to just run with the idea that half time consumes full time benefits, until I can find out otherwise :(

It works the same way that it does for vets - you get your book stipend (hopefully) 5-7 weeks before your classes start - 24CR/$1000 per academic year. If you certify late or retroactive, you get your book stipend when they process it.

Last year AD got to eat poo poo - these changes went into effect in August 2011.

Does it take away from x months if I ask for it without using any other part of my 9/11?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

You can't. Book stipend is part of the deal. The only thing that is different from vet 9/11 and AD 9/11 is that AD can't collect BAH.

I thought I had read somewhere that I can use my 9/11 only for books and use my military TA while AD.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

moker posted:

Yeah same, one semester I ended up only passing 10/16 hours, just had to realize I was being an idiot and get back on track....its nice to get grade replacements too :)

Yeah, basically take some easy courses and figure out if your school has programs that allow you to not include certain courses in your degree calculation (my school has a max of 2 courses that can be disallowed). Work your rear end off over the next year and get A's on everything. This will require you being that person going to study groups actually buying the text books and paying attention in class.

Look at, in one year you could go from 1.5 to 2.7. Most likely you'll be able to work something out to help you out. Just remember that people without degrees enlist. And if that dumbass officer could get one then why can't you.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

http://www.ncsu.edu/veterans/vaorientation/onlineorientation.ppt

This is posted on my school's website and it has a few answers to many of the commonly asked questions here. It's for NCSU but it's very non-specific. I was hoping someone would find this useful.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

My school didn't open distance/ online registration until last friday, today was the payment due by day. I sent an email friday asking about TA vouchers and never recieved a reply (I even called). I called up today and got the right person who told me they put a hold on my classes and wouldn't drop until the issue was resolved. I don't know if they know how to handle TA so I hope this gets worked out.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Spongebob Tampax posted:

So you'll do calc 1 in the spring, then calc 2&3 in the summer. Friend of mine here did that, spent the entire summer grinding on that math. Came out of both with Cs, but was just glad to have them out of the way.

I can't say it's a bad idea, but it's not always a good one.

I started classes May '11 and haven't stopped. It's been 15 months, going to be at least another year of summer classes, so it'll be 36 months straight without a summer break. Semester breaks are your saving grace. And your apparent scheduling ability. I have classes all week this semester. gently caress.

Depending on your major it's not recommended to take these courses during the summer. If it's something that you just want to C and brain dump then go ahead. But for engineering, math and physics majors you probably need to know that material very well and a summer course is cool but doesn't really cut it.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

KetTarma posted:

Calculus itself isn't that hard. What's hard is the expectation that you know every bit of math leading up to it. My problem was getting 5 steps in and thinking I was done only to find out there was some identity or equation that I just didn't know preventing me from finishing the problem.

Memorize the unit circle and the basic triangle and you can derive all those trig formulas/ trig integrals (with some difficulty).

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That is kind of one of the neat things about resuming my education where I've resumed it. All Applications of Calculus, No learning Calculus.

I'm actually very scared about this because from what I've heard I spent all that time learning up to diff-eq and now I have to learn it again because the applications require things that I've forgotten.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yes, in that case, Diff Eq's is something you want to reinvest some energy in to.

I was fortunate to have an opportunity to get into a really good Diff Eq's class as a refresher/GET BETTER THAN A D rear end in a top hat. I think it will make a world of difference come a week from now when I actually have to apply this poo poo for real.

Yeah but a month ago when I started relearning calc I- ODE I was forgetting if you divide by the new exponent or old exponent when doing simple integration (It's been 5 years).

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yeah, I had the same problem. Just do some practice Calc I problems or go to wikipedia for anything that you are questionable on. Log's took me a month or so to get back into.

I've been doing Paul's notes and I try and get 2-5 hours of studying a week. I spent an hour today watching khan academy on rotating y/x axis to calculate volume of solids.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Can CH 31 (voc rehab) be used for any old degree I want to do?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

No idea, if I had to guess it would be because of the election year (nobody gets more money, incumbent/challenger try to out-cut each other) and the drawdown causing a shitload of new applications (which takes the longest time to verify/issue). It's like a perfect storm of suck.

you should call PRESIDENT OBAMA he can fix it

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/16/unc-denies-in-state-tuition-to-veteran-because-her-husband-was-stationed-in-texas/

I'm torn. She obviously claimed residency in Texas to avoid paying NC state income tax (a fact I haven't seen anyone mention, most laughably on Free Republic where they're climbing over themselves to mention that illegals might be able to qualify for in-state tuition), so I can see telling her to gently caress off. On the other hand, she did maintain a house in NC and was in Texas under her husband's orders.

I'm going through this right now. My school had information that stated they wouldn't charge me for anything above the out-of-state tuition so I didn't bother adjusting my residency. But now I have to because I don't want to pay 400 bucks.

They told me that information was wrong and should have been updated.

Same state different school (NCSU).

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I'm currently taking a course as a NDS (non-degree seeking) student. I applied for pell grant and when I spoke with the financial aid officer was told they do not offer NDS students financial aid for NDS students.

I looked up what this means, I hope to put my application for the school in the spring so I can matriculate to the program.

What are my options?

http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attachments/1213FSAHbkVol1Ch1.pdf

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

You should talk to your registrar about getting retroactively matriculated. They might play ball, they might not.

Good news if you're planning on taking summer classes though; you can get some of that unused pell money that would have gone to you in the fall and have it for summer.

Example: split might have been 2500/2500/500 for fall/spring/summer, with a maximum of 5500. Now it might be 0/2500/2500 depending on summer load, "wasting" only 500 dollars.

Matriculation isn't an option. Before I matriculate I need to finish the course with an A-, transfer this credit to my community college, finish one last government course (earning the A.S) then apply for matriculation.

My adviser and whatever registration person has told me that without this my application is pretty much not going to get accepted into the program I want. I could try and retro matriculate in a secondary program and then transfer into the department I want to.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

That's some hosed up degree progression, but doable.

Yeah, if I get a B/B+ I have to take another 3 credit hour course and get a B/B+ on it in the spring (while deployed). Currently averaging 98.7 but... my midterm was submitted 5 weeks ago and still no grade.

This is all because I hosed around while in college last and my GPA got too low. took courses as NDS at the school I wanted to go to, but GPA dropped a bit low. Was told to improve that degree and finish my A.S. to show that I am a changed man.

Submitted my application tonight while stating I have two courses that I hope to take before spring 2013.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Yes, if you're flagged as full time in VA-ONCE it'll be fine. You basically need a letter from your program director or someone who would have the authority on an official level to say 'yes, this is considered full time'. If this exception is granted, you should be backpaid for the missing BAH. Note that this is usually a one time deal, in the future you should try and maintain the standard for full time (12UG or 9GR).

6 credits over the summer (or any accelerated period) is considered full time otherwise though.

I'm definitely not an expert on physician assistants school but I know duke university (top rated) and the military PA program don't have traditional semesters. They have very weird overlapping sections. Perhaps this is the case with crazy mike.

http://paprogram.mc.duke.edu/PA-Program/Curriculum/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

HClChicken posted:

Yeah, if I get a B/B+ I have to take another 3 credit hour course and get a B/B+ on it in the spring (while deployed). Currently averaging 98.7 but... my midterm was submitted 5 weeks ago and still no grade.

This is all because I hosed around while in college last and my GPA got too low. took courses as NDS at the school I wanted to go to, but GPA dropped a bit low. Was told to improve that degree and finish my A.S. to show that I am a changed man.

Submitted my application tonight while stating I have two courses that I hope to take before spring 2013.

Did some more research and found two provisions that might allow Stafford loans or Pell Grants.

http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attachments/1213FSAHbkVol1Ch1.pdf

A student not enrolled in a degree or certificate program is eligible
for Stafford and PLUS loans for up to one year if she is taking coursework
necessary for enrollment in an eligible program. See the discussion under
Stafford and PLUS loans in chapter 6 of this volume.

The course I'm taking is actually for transfer to another institution for the degree. So I might be able to play that angle for the Pell Grant. If that doesn't work I can try the Stafford loan since my adviser wants me to take this course as a pre-requisite to admission into the program.

• Locked thread