Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I don't think it would be terribly helpful wrt the technical considerations, but you might enjoy the book That Quail, Robert about an indoor quail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:) yay large marge and yay bird books

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that is a good dog

i am joining the chicken mom ranks again - look who i brought home today!

https://i.imgur.com/2lhNZNZ.mp4

they are mixed cochin banties and i am in looove

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love Large Marge, such a good mama.

also folks, Lil' Pep is so fancy! i think most of my babies are part frizzle but Lil' Pep is certainly the frizzle-iest (and tiniest). this picture doesn't truly do the frizz justice

e also RudeCat took some wild orb pictures and i wanted to share one:

the yard of our new house is on their morning and evening route which is pretty great. they were enjoying a gentle sprinkler mist + seeds here. i hope they are not cross that we chopped down the tall grass

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 20, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that would be a lot of rooster drama! there is a spare rooster that tries to follow this covey sometimes and one of the others told him off yesterday. it was very windy today and we didn't see them out, i'll be interested to see if he is with them next time. poor guy.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the quail look so happy :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the power went out at 3am, and we woke up at 6am to a cold chicks

we still had a couple pieces of wood meant for our chiminea, so we started the woodstove up to take the chill out of the air. i did my best Large Marge impression and held the chicks in my lap covered by a blanket. they gave a few happy trills and were good babies

the power came back around 7:20ish, thank goodness. here is the chick pile before i put them back in the brooder

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

Newly named Rose hatched 9 chicks out of 11 eggs! We still have to check under Dorothy (formerly Blue Leg Band) and Blanche (formerly Red Leg Band). Then we need to decide who gets the little pea-combed cockerels that I ordered from Ideal... so many chickens! :henget:

(I hope my mom gets her coop set up soon. I DO NOT need this many chickens. (But I love them. (And my fields need fertilizer.)))

awww such a good mama :)

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

lmbo great picture

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Captain Log posted:

I love this thread. :kimchi:

:agreed: i just looked at all the pictures from the last few pages and they are so sweet. wanna pet all the birds

ShootaBoy posted:

Got what's either the 3rd and 4th or the 4th and 5th eggs out of our 4 older gals today. Another little halfsize learners egg, but a good proper one as well. Really looking forwards to when the youngsters are all grown and start laying as well, so I can gorge myself on hardboiled eggs.

congratulations. i'm glad my neighbor has hens so we can get fresh eggs before my tiny birds grow up enough to lay tiny eggs.

speaking of which, look how fast they grow, it always amazes me. they are about to hit the awkward stage.

may 10th (1-2 days old):

compared to may 27th:

Izzie, Chickmunk and Tiny Bird Darling aka Darlin' are all looking like roosters. Izzie is at the top of the pecking order, and Clarice is at the bottom.

it should be warm enough to take them outside tomorrow which should be fun

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:orb:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 9, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i took the chicks out again today and the little jerks really want to be on the sidewalk, picking at my potted plants, instead of the freshly mowed patch of weeds and grass :argh:

luckily they are scared of my corn broom so with lots of shooing they did go in the lawn. mostly.

they were scared of some quail that came in the yard, and scared of doves that flew overhead, but a sparrow landed nearby and Izzie the head chick charged it immediately

also we have a pair of rooster quail that have been here the last couple nights and they did not care that i got very close (thru the window) to peep them

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you :blush:

it is really charming experiencing the quail becoming used to our presence

a couple pairs of them have decided it is ok to come in the yard when we are outside :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they look like LoTR elves to me

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

same except peeping their head out from under mama's wing :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

beautiful hens :love:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:cry: that is beautiful :sympathy:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

my babies are getting big

i need to find homes for these two boys...

they are great and so pretty. when anything new enters their space, these two plus Izzie (not pictured) run to intercept it right away. they are good boys, except the other night Chickmunk (the dark brown one on the right) got out of their temporary pen in the garage and i found him in the mop bucket hiding under the mop :derp:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i would be angry too!

i had my own egg business when i was a kid, selling eggs to my neighbors. once i dropped a dozen on Mrs. Delp's kitchen floor and i was just devastated

today my parents brought me my 12+ year old chicken tractor, along with my 30 year old chicken sign :love:

Mom repainted the sign but admitted the rooster might need a touch up. that's ok by me, im just delighted it still exists after all this time
]

the chickens love being in the tractor and i love not having them in the house/garage. i put a tarp on it to give them some more shade. tomorrow it's going to be quite hot so I'll have to move it to a better location

https://i.imgur.com/KMISWUd.mp4

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

me too :) i have my dad to thank for it tbh, he was the one who told me about the listing for the chicks, and once i told him i had brought them home, he went out and found the sign in their barn for me :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

I love the sign and your cute floofy chicks!

The teenagers (young adults?) and the adults moved separately out to the field during the Great Chicken Shuffle. I really like this hen, she’s one of the Sapphire Olive Eggers.

Large Marge’s chicks moved to the Teenager Coop. Those meat chicks are absolutely gigantic.

And the big news is that one of the two last broody hens hatched an egg this afternoon! All the eggs are due to hatch tomorrow, so this one is precocious.

wonderful wonderful

perepelki posted:

wonderful flock development happening on all fronts. i'm excited to have ducklings in the thread, love the stylish pantaloon birbs, and can't believe how quickly large marge's chicks have grown up :unsmith:

bless this mess

perfectly wonderful

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Yooper posted:

That has to be the hugest chicken I've ever seen.

Duckling update!

They have outgrown the pool and are now in the duck house proper, with some dividers added. We installed a plastic tub lid with non-slip surface to attempt to contain the watery mess. They love smashing face into water and shaking it everywhere. They also now realize we brings food, water and treats.

Our labrador went from thinking they were tennis balls, to nose-bill touch while he wagged.

:stwoon:

they. are. so. cuuuuuuute

my heart is melting

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

what a lovely hen :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Wow, go Blazer! she's a contender for mother of the year. cute babies, thank you for your sacrifice to get their pictures :3:

today we had a sudden windstorm while the chickens were roaming. thankfully they all ran towards the chicken tractor right away, and i was able to put them up safely. that was way too exciting. living in the desert is really a new experience!

i have been trying to get a good picture of Izzie so i can share how his feathers are coming in. he did not want to hold still at all, but this isn't too bad:

he is getting interesting white spots. there are more on his breast, and a couple on his back. i haven't had a chicken with this color combo before

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the chickens had an encounter with our cat today and they were alarmed. a few of them hopped on my back, since i had knelt down to help facilitate cat/chicken introductions. ah well maybe they can be friends later

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 9, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:swoon:

i love them

also

Enfys posted:

lol good luck

we had some ducks when i was a kid, and they messed their pool terribly and headed for our in ground swimming pool because it was much more interesting

we did not keep ducks very long

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love tiny man so much ❤️

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

BHB posted:

he's actually a grandpa, Seramas just stay really small. I think as a breed they're fairly new? they're very tiny and very cute.

oh heck :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

perepelki posted:

to heal the earth, tiny man and large marge must kiss

:hai:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i think we'll move the chickens into the cool garage for the heatwave, since they're small

they'll be so bored though

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i'm sorry for the chicken problems

today i heard a tiny noise and guess what, my chicken sign is now 50% true!

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 9, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Source4Leko posted:

Raoul.

Here's she is in the middle of the dust bath with her sisters Aniki Danger and Lenin last month

:)

we have restricted our kiddos to the garage for the heatwave but we've been taking them out in the morning for 'chicken breakfast' (we eat at the patio table, they eat too because they are spoiled, and they run around)

this morning they made a dust hole under a chair and were sooo happy

https://i.imgur.com/Nm2MtQs.mp4

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

congrats :toot:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

just beautiful 🤩

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good luck spookygonk i hope Luna pulls thru

City of Glompton