Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
All of this Bowiechat is reminding me that I need the most basic bitch Bowie album (Ziggy Stardust) but there's lots of people complaining about the one easily available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Ziggy-Stardust-Spiders-Vinyl/dp/B01AJZ8EMG/ref=sr_1_1) Anyone have this version and willing to confirm/deny that I should be paying for some other pressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

lament.cfg posted:

Buy one off discogs for 5 dollars
I wish. Anything mint or near mint is going for $25-ish. Even VG+ is $20+

I'll probably go that route eventually but with the mail being messed up, discogs orders are taking 3+ weeks to get to me, whereas Amazon is back to 2 days.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Discogs does separate media and jacket ratings but the marketplace condition filters are only for the media, at least on mobile. Theres a lot of M and M- discs with VG and G jackets.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Any A/B blind test with audio is bound to be hilarious. Like not being able to tell the difference between monster cables and cables made out of coat hangers (https://www.engadget.com/2008-03-03-audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and.html)

See also: wine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Do they actually listen to music, or just test and setup recordings as they move their "listening chair" a tiny nudge to the rear of their reference mark using micrometer calipers?

They probably listen to Steely Dan too. Which pains me, because I love Steely Dan.

CPL593H posted:

All the people who can afford and actually buy all that snake oil poo poo are rich boomers who are physically incapable of hearing certain frequencies because that's a a part of aging that applies to everyone. And they always have the worst goddamn taste in music too.
I personally struggle with this a bit because my hearing is absolute dogshit due to 4 decades that started with massive childhood ear infections and subsequent abuse with headphones, metal shows, and loud hobbies. I can almost promise you that I would fail an A/B between a good Mp3 and vinyl on the same setup, but I'm getting back into music being a physical thing that I purposefully listen to.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 3, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Fake scarcity aside, a $25 new release record today is the same price as a $14 new release CD in 1993 thanks to inflation.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Confession time:

When I was a teen in the mid-90s, my parents tasked me with getting rid of their record collection. Nothing exceptional but had the boomer-standard beatles, rolling stones, etc. and a bunch of good classical from the 70s/early 80s.

Instead of thinking "cool, records" or even just putting them on the curb with a "free" sign, my friend and I spent a bored afternoon smashing them in various ways.

I have to imagine those are not the only records to meet a similar ignominious end.

We're responsible for records that sold millions of copies being $25 now. Sorry, we didn't know what we were doing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of Discogs. . .

I'm new to vinyl, and have ordered probably a dozen records off discogs, to generally satisfactory results, other than generally paying $20-25 a record by the time it's shipped.

Saturday I went to my local brick and mortar music store and picked up some solid 70s/80s classics. The stuff I bought is all in line with VG+ by Discogs standards. The jackets have price stickers on them from the shop, but otherwise are in solid enough shape.

All used, and all for about half or less of what discogs would have cost me. Just as an example: I got Billy Joel's Stranger for $8, Yes's Fragile for $5, Genesis' Selling England by the Pound for $10, etc. Even the stuff they had featured on their walls was still pretty cheap, like $20-30.

So my question is, what the gently caress, Discogs? I'm assuming a B&M would rather err toward volume than per-item profit compared to someone selling out of their home, but even so.

Is this how it is everywhere, or did I just find a really good shop?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 22, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This all makes sense. Because I also keep looking on discogs and then on amazon for common things, and time and time again I can get it cheaper on amazon with next day delivery, as well.

More fun to dig through crates anyway. I never knew I missed bullshitting with the guy at the music store.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Schremp Howard posted:

In that vein, I’m kind of surprised nobody has made a company to grade vinyl. Just throw out arbitrary numbers out of ten and get people to pay a gently caress ton for “perfect” copies of Journey albums.
"Sorry, this record is the lowest grade possible, a 9.5 excellent+"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Cemetry Gator posted:

There already is a grading scale for vinyl, so it would be hard. And those grading companies are basically scams, but you know, it comes with the industry. But starting one for vinyl would be tough because you already have a system everybody uses.

The other challenge is that grading vinyl is a little more in depth than grading a card. A journey record is 40 minutes. And you have to listen to all 40 to make sure the record is flawless.
And by listening to it, reduce its grading. A conundrum for sure.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I've listened to the Smiths for the past 20 years. I dig the art even if the artist is a massive rear end in a top hat.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

CPL593H posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Morrissey died in the late 80s.
Ha, thanks for telling me that. I feel much better now. *winks and does that santa nose touch thing

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

gently caress, I'm 6'3" so do I need bigger speakers to make sound waves my size? And I guess only F# will be optimized for me?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

abraham linksys posted:

2021 gonna be the year i finally get a cassette player. the sanyo the op of the cassette thread got looks nice...
I realize the insanity of asking this in the vinyl thread, but why? Cassettes were never not garbage that filled the gap between vinyl and CDs, with the only real benefit that you could record on one at home.

I say this as someone with a cassette deck and a gaggle of tapes, although those are mostly recordings of my college radio show and lovely local bands that never made more than a cassette.

Edit: To clarify this phone post, my old man yelling at a cloud here is that other than being a physical medium and retro, cassettes don't have much to offer. They are too small to have good album art like an LP, they are generally less physically robust than a CD, their sound quality is not good (not sure if it's better/worse than a good MP3, but it's not great), and they don't have a lot of support in the marketplace. They're "different" for sure, but they also got dropped like a rock for good reason by everyone once the ability to burn CDs became commonplace.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Owning a turntable and wanting no part of $50 releases that sell out in an hour has gotten me back into classical music, which I pretty much abandoned in my 20s after a childhood/teens full of it (I played violin throughout school).

There's just an utter shitton of great condition 60s-80s classical vinyl out there for $5 or less. Of course, still finding a few things that are $50+, but not many.

Hoping this will give me something to do/collect while things rage out of control and then I can pick other stuff back up on the other side of whenever the bubble pops.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

beeker posted:

Downside is the shelf space eaten up by the boxes they are in.
That plus shipping made me close the window on a 100 LP history of classical music that I came across, though even with shipping it would have been like $1.50 per record.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

CPL593H posted:

I don't know that the bubble is going to pop soon but I'm guessing prices will take a little dip when everyone is vaccinated and getting laid again.
Hey, there's like 400 years of orchestral music to catch up on. I've got a while.

COVID insanity notwithstanding, I've watched a few hobby bubbles grow and pop over my lifetime, and it seems likely that at some point, more than one entity is going to run the numbers on the insanely hot vinyl market and open new pressing plants, which will make a bunch of money as they ride the wave of an austerity mindset until pent-up demand is handled, then begin to undercut one another on price, slowly at first, and then to the point that we're getting audiophile pressings of things for $15. Until one or more go out of business and the cycle begins anew.

This is probably a decade-long cycle, though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

dantheman650 posted:

I just bought my first turntable. I used to consider listening to music to be among my main hobbies, but thanks to the omnipresence of digital streaming, it's been relegated to more of a background role in my life. I bought a handful of my favorite albums and I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with music.

lament.cfg posted:

hell yeah, man

intentionally Listening to An Album is awesome

CPL593H posted:

I will never understand people who don't do this. Albums made after the mainly singles era which were just comps are meant to be listened to as a complete work.
Yeah, exactly why I'm here. In my 4.5 decades, I've been a musician for most of it, a DJ, a program director, and the owner/curator of a multi-thousand CD collection. Music is my medium, it's what makes my brain work, and is the rabbit hole I fall down. I bought a CD player in 89 with my paper route christmas tip money, and spent every gift giving holiday collecting money to improve my system and buy CDs through HS and College.

Last year, I realized that in the past 10-ish years I've gone from seeking out interesting music and listening to it on purpose, to making and almost exclusively listening to playlists out of the high-bitrate MP3s my CD collection turned into, to treating it like background noise on shuffle through mid-quality paid spotify while I work and drive. Rarely, if ever, listened to an album on purpose, and that sucked.

So my wife got me a u-turn orbit for christmas, I hooked up my old receiver and speakers, and am now improving my relationship with music. Only this time in a giant format with huge artwork that takes me back to my first music purchases (Thriller and Innocent Man, that I then hosed up on a fisher price turntable). As someone who spent a long time paying $15/per for CDs, I can't pretend that having access to all the music ever on a little glass rectangle in my pocket doesn't rule, but it also made my relationship with music a lot more superficial.

Thank you for attending my TED talk, please pull around to the second window to pick up your order.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Huge fan of Tinariwen and African music in general and im having to talk myself out of this silly gimmick.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

So, I fear the answer to this involves hearing "oh, my sweet summer child" but for current recordings being put out on vinyl, do they have a different master for vinyl and digital, or are they just firing up the same digital file and running the cutter? I'm guessing some artists care and make a vinyl-only mix, but is it most?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This was a great education, thanks everyone!

I'm old enough that I've only ever been involved in recording on tape, and never for vinyl, so I really appreciate the in depth walk-through.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Toe Rag posted:

Does anyone have the Spiritualized Ladies and Gentlemen 3” CD set?

https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-Ladies-And-Gentlemen-We-Are-Floating-In-Space/release/607356

I wonder if anyone ever opened theirs.
This is a fantastic gimmick. Wow. I worked in a college radio station in the 90s and we had a wall of fame/shame for gimmick CDs. Wish I could remember them all. Weird shapes, jewel cases with fur on them, blinky poo poo, 3d moving images with prisims in the plastic, one that was somehow a bottle of motor oil. . .

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

CPL593H posted:

I forgot to mention that you should never buy any Croatian pressings because the records are all trapezoid shaped and I'm not even sure how you're supposed to play them.
Just put your turntable in H.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

FWIW, I've got a brand new U-Turn Orbit Plus (love it) going into a 20 year old receiver, powering 30 year old speakers. Not sure if it's "vintage" but it's definitely not current tech.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Rolo posted:

Vague question incoming. How often if ever is popular vinyl typically re-released? If something like Gorillaz first album had a run in 2015 and you can find it for decent markup, should I just grab what I can find in case it never comes back out or does stuff like this usually get another drop within a decade?

I know it probably depends but I'm making sure there isn't cut and dry advice like "never wait for vinyl to get made again."
So I'm like 3 months ahead of you as "new to vinyl guy" and this:

caligulamprey posted:

I usually end up whatever I feel comfortable paying. If a reissue eventually pops up, thems the breaks.
is good advice. Mind you, I'm into this strictly for the tangibility of the music and do not remotely care about collectability or resale (or making a profit on resale). So if an album I'd love to have is $25, I'll pay $25. If I don't want it $25 worth, I don't buy it. On the other side of that, I've already bought like 10 random >$5 things that just looked weird/cool and I don't care if I lose a couple bucks on something that turns out to be awful.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Spends starter house money on a turntable. Spends hours setting it up just right. Turns it on and spends 3 minutes loving with leveling the platter. Listens to Eddie Money's greatest hits.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I spent $3 on herb Alpert's Rise specifically for about 20 seconds of music. The sample from Notorious Big's Hypnotize

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Y'all are making me happy that I'm on old rear end man 100% content to be looking for 30-50 year old albums, and with a local store where I can find a decent assortment of them for $5-15 in good shape, as well as some nice cheap oddities.

Because gently caress paying $50 for FOMO bullshit limited releases, especially when it's picachu at half speed or whatever.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Dead Goon posted:

Someone mentioned starting to do it not so long ago, and I decided to have a little go as well - picking up < £3 Classical recordings from Discogs as they haven't yet been "discovered" and the prices pushed up.

First was a 5LP box set (for £15) and then I've been getting more from the same label (Deutsche Grammophon). I usually get 3-4 at a time from the same seller so shipping usually stays at the same price and I don't pay extra.

It does help if you like Classical music.

That may have been me. I've been doing exactly this as well, and am rediscovering classical.

The classical thread is slow but pretty good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375303

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

DST makes more sense the further north you go until you go far enough north that it doesn't make a difference. Like PNW said, without DST it would be getting light at 3AM in June in the northern US, and it's bad enough that the rear end in a top hat birds are up at like 4:45 as is.

Actual vinyl content: Picked up a vintage copy of Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick over the weekend, and that's a hell of a fancy packaging job for what was supposed to be a semi-gag record taking a piss on prog rock. For those who don't know, it's a gatefold that opens into a multi-sheet newspaper.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

sporklift posted:

It is Bandcamp Friday my dudes.

I snagged this one. Some psychedelic cumbia stuff. They are a local band I have seen a few times. Pretty mindblowing live. At one show
Esperanza Spalding jumped up on stage and played bass on a song which was cool.

https://savila.bandcamp.com/album/mayahuel

edit: and this one from the same label as Mdou Moctar

https://lesfillesdeillighadad.bandcamp.com/album/eghass-malan

Way late, but wanted to point out that there's an African guitar music thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912478&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

CPL593H posted:

That seems like a good price until you realize that you have to get seven discs just to listen to one complete song.
I thought you were kidding, but each album is essentially a single.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Steppenwolf is an easy finalist contender for "shittiest band that boomers continue to inflict on the world."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Goddamn that's a great haul.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Hekk posted:

I appreciate all of the input. I will do some more research on some of the turntables listed tonight.

I was leaning towards the U-Turn because it looked like decent bang for my buck. I don’t know enough about 80s Hi Fi equipment to know where to begin looking when it comes to buying used stuff. Maybe that will be a side project later but for now I think I should probably buy new and reduce my risk of not knowing wtf is wrong with my setup.

Data set of 1:

Grew up with my parents having a Technics 1200, then worked at a radio station with a pair of them. Fast forward 23 years and I was looking at both the 1200s successors and the U-turn orbit. Ended up getting the orbit plus based on friends' recommendations and not wanting to spend a ton of money, but was a little wary that I would find its lack of features annoying.

Several months later, I'm glad I went with the U-turn. Its got the features it needs without extra stuff for a great price, and is basically bulletproof.

I do miss the 1200s speed adjustment slider a bit, but thats only when I play an instrument along with a record, and I have tuning knobs to fix that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

sporklift posted:

The Garth Brooks box set goes on sale for sub $20 on Amazon. I bought the three box box set last time lol. (Yeah there are three variants and it cost 40 ish bux) I gave one to a goon as a prize for listening to my radio show (they gave it to thier momma), kept one and one will be a hilarious white elephant gift if I ever go to a social gathering again.

Edit. Wow if you are a prime member it is $18 haha holy poo poo.

Not seeing this, unfortunately.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

caligulamprey posted:

It shows up as $18 on the checkout page. That's the ultimate package with the three sets, the individual sets are $14 but gently caress that. Go big or go home.
Got it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I'm not even sure who his core audience is anymore but he is a hell of a songwriter/performer regardless of genre. He's basically country Billy Joel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

petit choux posted:

Don't care much for the stranger, eh?
Which is arguably 1 song away from being a perfect album.

But also, I'm old and grouchy and look at most of what gets posted in here like a confused dog, so there's that.