Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Adding to the Pre-Orders.

Deerhoof's Breakup Song is up for pre-order here: http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/index.php?listID=193

New song is totally awesome and different as usual. This band never disappoints on doing whatever the hell they feel like doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I dropped into the GraveFace record store the other day as the wife and I were vacationing in Savannah. Cool place, decent selection of new/used records, lots of weird poo poo in the store and people just hanging around listening to music. Ryan was super friendly and even gave out some suggestions on things to do in the area. I really like his label and being part of his record club. Always cool things happening.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, this Deerhoof - Breakup Song Flexi disc book is too cool to pass up.

Limited to 500 copies and you play the entire book instead of taking out individual flexis.

http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/catalog/jnr102

Welp, there goes my willpower to stop buying records for a bit. I forgot to pre order the LP and I forgot it was coming out so soon. Guess I'll also need to stop by my local record store to see if they have a copy as I'm too impatient now to order online.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 4, 2012

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I, Butthole posted:

Reddit alerted me to the fact that Hot Topic have a 50% off deal, using these codes:

$15 off $30: AK74RQS5
$30 off $60: Bt16fjx8
$45 off $90: ???
$60 off $120: ???
$75 off $150: EC35UKD9

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Music/Vinyl.jsp

Grabbed Bloc Party, Foo Fighters, The Smashing Pumpkins and At The Drive-In, and some various 7"s and it covered the cost of shipping; still about half the price of what it cost to buy them locally.

Last time I went to Hot Topic's website was to grab about 10 LPs for $50 shipped and got some neat new albums that I didn't know existed but the selection they have now is strictly Screamo or whatever and punk/mall punk stuff. Sure, they have some solid records like Siamese Dream and some Pink Floyd records but that new Animal Collective record was the only one I felt like buying and couldn't find anything else to push me over $30.

Oh well, I need to stop buying records for a bit.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

New Menomena record came early today along with the newest Ramona Falls LP. I'm happy my records came early but poo poo, corners are all ding'd up and creased.

Also picked up recently:

David Byrne and St. Vincent - Love this Giant
The Books - Lost and Safe
Air - Moon Safari

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Does anyone else get irritated with plastic sleeves bunching up? Maybe I just need to buy a bunch of the same bags instead of using various kinds. They get bunched up or cause problems when pulling records in and out. I probably need a better shelf though. I have about 50+ records on one shelf and I'm starting to have issues pulling records from the middle.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's something cool I just got:

The flexibook release of Deerhoof's (really loving great) Breakup Song. It's six one-sided flexidiscs bound together, with the album and a bonus track. I guess since I was one of the first 50 orders, my copy came signed by the band.

I'm waiting for mine to show up hopefully today. Lucky you got yours signed.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's something cool I just got:

The flexibook release of Deerhoof's (really loving great) Breakup Song. It's six one-sided flexidiscs bound together, with the album and a bonus track. I guess since I was one of the first 50 orders, my copy came signed by the band.

Ok, mine came today. Number 23 of 500 and was autographed. So happy since I was having a meh day.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

That's awesome that you both got signed copies! I forgot to mention it before, but mine is no. 37.

I just listened to it and the flexis don't sound bad. Some pops but I was expecting it to sound worse. The issue of having to turn a page after two songs and pulling it off and pushing it onto the platter will probably prevent me from listening to it again but the thing is cool nonetheless. It also fits with my 7"s and that's probably where it will stay. I'll buy the regular LP soon. Wanted to give my local shop some business.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This gorgeous thing just arrived for less than 10 dollars all in from Amazon:
Lava Children - S/T

And that vinyl is gorgeous.

That album is fantastic.

I saw Menomena last night and picked up the Friend and Foe LP that I didn't yet have a physical copy of. I forgot that the album art on this release was freaking awesome with it's cut out graphics and spinning wheel inside.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Yeah, back when I saw them on the F&F tour, I bought a poster from them and Brent signed it. I could have had Justin sign the LP last night but it was late and it was towards the end of the night, you could tell they were exhausted. Super nice group of guys and even though Brent isn't in the band anymore, they still put on a great show and I like the new album. It's definitely more of a rock album.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Just got my copy of the new Black Moth Super Rainbow album from their Kickstarter campaign. The lenticular cover is really trippy. Can't wait to :420: and spin this. :D

Got mine today too.

One angle of it.

Stupid phone flipped while I was trying to get another angle of the 3D effect.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

It's a really drat good album, by the way. Classic BMSR, but tighter and more concise than their last couple of records, and with some new tricks. I'm digging it a lot.

I got the digital download before my LP came and I gave it a half-assed listen on the way out to my parents house over the weekend. My initial impression of it was that it sounded too digital and crisp, like Tobacco's solo stuff but once I listened to it last night in full, it's definitely a BMSR record.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

traveling midget posted:

Any goons in OK near a Guestroom Records? The Flaming Lips King Crimson album will be in stock at all 3 today -- if you get me one I will be glad to pay for your time.

I would be on this too.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Beck, Thurston Moore, and Tortoise covered a Yanni album.

Beck :allears:

I really like some of the poo poo he does with the record club but seriously, are we going to get an official release of him playing his songs from the Song Reader project? I really hate to think that there are published songs written by Beck that will never be played/recorded by him.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Anyone have opinion or info on the Beatles LP Box that is out? Mixed reviews regarding quality control all over amazon but they list it for $319. My local store is selling it for $430.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

thathonkey posted:

I'm OK with a current issue pressing as long as it sounds good (so many vinyl re-issues these days are just plain lovely sounding - worse than CD etc). So there is a currently released version of White Album that is pretty good? Stereo is fine for those. I do care about audio quality obviously but I wouldn't call myself an audiophile by any stretch. Thanks for the tip on that forum.

edit: does anyone here have the stereo box set - http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Stereo-Vinyl-Box/dp/B0041KVW2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354035671&sr=8-1&keywords=beatles+vinyl

The lazy bastard in me is thinking maybe I should just suck it up and buy this

I asked earlier but I haven't really dug through any other information outside of amazon reviews but I'm scared to buy that box set due to all the mixed reviews on bad quality control. Apparently, the pressing plant just did a horrid job making sure the records were pressed cleanly. Lots of complaints about Abbey Road just being completely unlistenable due to all the surface noise and pops. I have a bunch of the originals but it would be nice to get the entire box set, all nice and pristine and not discolored and scratched up like my parents' copies.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

MichiganCubbie posted:

There is going to be a mono reissue of the box set coming out in like March as well, if you wanted to wait for that one and see if the pressing issues aren't as bad there.

I know the mono masters for the earlier albums sound superior but what's the deal for people who are running their turntable through a stereo set up? I know mono means one channel and stereo is 2 for stereo mixes but I guess I was always kind of confused on the matter. If I play a mono copy of Rubber Soul, am I going to get sound out of only one speaker or am I going to get the same sound out of both speakers? I feel dumb even asking this question.

edit: and I'm fairly sure I know the answer. ugh

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Blast Fantasto posted:

You get the same sound out of both speakers.

Thats what I thought. Hmmm, maybe the mono re-issue is the way to go. With Amazon's fantastic return policy, I wouldn't worry about getting burned on being stuck with a $300+ collection of shabby records but I'd be afraid to see how many times I'd have to return it before I got a box that wasn't damaged and/or had bad sounding records inside.

I remember the 2009 CD remasters sounded incredible so I'd definitely like to have a copy of the vinyl remasters.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I've thought about trying to locate a vintage stereo setup but my player is in the living room where my tv and surround sound system is set up so I just run it through my yamaha 5.1 receiver in 2 ch stereo mode. It just seems silly for me to have 2 separate stereo systems.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

The bottom line is I'm not an audiophile and don't pretend to be. I know the difference between something sounding good and sounding bad. What my ears can't hear is the difference between using some gold-plated audio cable connectors and a proper pre-amp hooked up to a $5000 turntable (thanks MusicDirect catalog) and what my current setup is.

If for some reason my 5.1 receiver blows up, I doubt I'll replace it. I really only bought for when I was using a projector. It's only running my turntable at the moment until I get some cables for my new living room arrangement.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

carpet twine posted:

I have a Numark TT-100 turntable at the pawn shop I run and I was considering picking it up for myself. I know that it's considered a DJ turntable, but it'll work fine for just listening to records as well, shouldn't it? Also, will I need a preamp for it? I know some turntables have them built in. I've been using an Innovative Tech all-in-one unit that I picked up dirt cheap and it's just not cutting it anymore.

I'm using a DJ turntable from a Numark "dj in a box" deal I picked up back in 2000. It still works just fine but I did need a pre-amp. I think most DJ tables require a pre-amp because normally, you'd run them into a mixer that had a built in pre-amp that your receiver or stereo probably doesn't have.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Darthemed posted:

So I headed to my local movies/games/books/music chain store today, and unloaded some crap vinyl for about 30 cents a piece. Not too great, but at least I could get it off my hands. After I'd gone through that process, I went digging through their used vinyl bins, and found these, 99 cents each, and completely intact.

I don't know who the Hell dumped this stuff there, or how nobody working there recognized it, but I'm not complaining. The price stickers come off with hardly any residue, for a bonus.

Umm, can I like, buy one of those off of you?

EDIT: my page just updated with everyone's responses asking the same thing. Sorry.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

One of my all-time favorite albums. I spent more money on this than I wanted to and asked the guy to ship it with the records in plain sleeves outside of the jacket. He didn't, so now the inner sleeves and jacket are all torn up. Awesome.

The third side plays from the inside-out and the 7" has one locked groove on it and nothing else. Pretty neat.

This is also one of my favorite records. drat, nice find.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

My parents got a catalog from Music Direct after buying something from them to give to me last year and my dad was looking through it and just blown away by the prices of turntables. He asked me what makes it worth $3000+ and I just didn't have an answer for him. It's like those audiophiles with their modified Playstation CD Players because you can really tell the difference in tonal quality of this compressed digital audio source.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I hate when you push the record back onto the shelf and the plastic sleeve catches or slips off and I also hate the fact that I'm using a dozen different kinds for some records and no sleeves for others. I'm going to just order 100 sleeves and just re-sleeve them all at once in the same way.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

$1100? :psyduck:

Are there audiophile protective sleeves made with dust eating nano-bots or something?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm so glad I have great in-laws that actually want to give me stuff that I want.

Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits
Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit
Yamantaka/Sonic Titan

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I ordered a The Shins package deal they had awhile back for my wife and everything came complete. I too thought having to sign up to see a price was stupid but I figured if I didn't like it and they sent me junk email, I would just mark it as spam and move on. So far, none of their deals have really made me want to order anything else.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Other than what I've skimmed over regarding the new Flaming Lips release's delay, I haven't heard much about the vinyl release. Are they only offering the limited colored vinyl from their website? Is Warner Bros. gonna gently caress up this one like they did with Heady Nuggs? Do I really need to pre-order or is this "limited" release really limited to like 25k copies?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If you're talking about The Terror, the WB site has the 'limited' (whatever that means) silver coloured vinyl for sale. Every other store has the 'regular' version. And Bella Union in the UK has the bonus 7 inch.

If you really ache for silver vinyl, go WB now. But who knows. Limited doesn't really mean poo poo anymore.

Yes, thanks. I totally forgot that they were releasing it soon and started looking into a pre-order but like I said, haven't heard much about the vinyl release. Was just making sure that I wasn't missing some better deal or package somewhere.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

This is on Bella Union's website, right? I'm looking at their pre-order for it and it doesn't mention the 7". It is cheaper than WB's site but I think I could just get the regular black pressing from Amazon or something for about $33 and no shipping cost.

If the UK version had something different about it (other than the 7") I'd be all over it. gently caress, why is this record so expensive?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I haven't spent money on records in awhile and I decided to see if RSD was bringing anything I really want and I noticed a Brubeck 10" that I wouldn't mind owning and it shouldn't be hard to get (unless it's very hipster to be into recently dead jazz musicians), but then I noticed that Zaireeka is being released on vinyl. :psyduck:

I know the idea of playing 4 CDs at once was already kinda ridiculous but 4 LPs? I'm kinda conflicted with buying it as I know I'll never ever play all 4 records at the same time.

Oh, and I better line up early outside my record store so I can get that sweet Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory LP :jerkbag:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Me in Reverse posted:

It's not *supposed to* sync up perfectly. It's supposed to be different every time you hear it.

Buying it on vinyl is pokemon collector bullshit.

I'm sure Surfingelectrode has gotta get'em all.

Still, doesn't mean I don't want it. I wonder how much they're going to charge for that Zaireeka LP Box.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Ehh, I'm good. I don't $70 need it.

Doesn't RSD usually show prices for the day's releases or is that up to the individual record stores?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Ron Burgundy posted:

I can't remember what it was like to have less than 4 turntables. The sickness is growing stronger.

I technically have two turntables but can't be bothered to set the other one up because I'm so loving lazy. Everyone should have a house full of Crosleys or something for this purpose.

The 4 CD thing made sense at the time. 10-15 years ago, I bet i could have found a couple of friends that could supply a CD player boombox. Now, I don't even own a CD player that isn't a computer/video game console.

Speaking of turntables, every time I'm at Fry's, I pass through their stereo section and always see some cheapo USB turntables and then one expensive Denon turntable. Where would an expensive Denon turntable fit into the turntable buying recommendations?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Isn't that a good thing, though? Everyone has at least a few things that can play music in their homes now. Instead of having to get four boomboxes, you could load one disc up on your computer, one on your stereo, one on your TV, and get a friend to bring their laptop and some speakers or whatever. I've listened to the album with all four discs before just by myself. It's not that hard, it just takes some ingenuity.

Oh, I don't have Zaireeka on CD. And you're right, if I did have 4 discs or 4 collections of mp3s it would be super easy. Still, the whole idea of 4 LPs... Maybe I could hold a DJ at gunpoint on a Saturday night at some swank rear end dance club and force everyone to listen to Zaireeka.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Saw this at my local record store in the "Just In" section of used records.

I didn't buy it of course, but I found the sticky note amusing.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

The Flaming Lips' limited edition, silver vinyl, double LP came today. Surprisingly, Warner Brothers didn't gently caress it up, or at least not my copy. As far as the album goes, I really don't know what to say. It's definitely the least Lips sounding record for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I was really digging some of the drone and weird atmospheric stuff but halfway through, I was really wanting to hear some substance and those massive drums that they're known for but it just never really came. I liked Embryonic. This was more like a Thom Yorke solo record for me though. It's still the Flaming Lips but the band didn't come into the studio kind of feel if that makes sense. There just aren't really any songs.