Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I look at the pictures in this thread and its predecessor, I can't help but think I really should just start hanging some record covers up on walls. I mean, here I have these sometimes amazing works of art and I'm keeping them in boxes and tucked away in pieces of cheap Ikea furniture, in translucent plastic sleeves, where I can't properly look at them except if I take them out - and for what? What's going to be more important - that I leave behind a record collection where the covers are in immaculate condition when I die, or that I've been able to look at fuckawesome art every day at home while I'm alive?

I bought a few of these magnetic album frames from ebay, fairly cheap but they work well. They just clip around the LP sleeve without damaging it, now I just rotate them when I feel bothered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

I bought my first new vinyl record off of the internet and just got it today. Yay!

But, it's kind of warped a little. Not dramatically so, but enough that I can hear the pitch drop/rise just a little bit.

I understand that there isn't anything I can do about this unfortunately. My question is, what the hell? I just bought this brand new (Decemberists - The Tain). Is this common? I'm a little surprised to be honest...

Unfortunately this sometimes happens. It could of been like that already or it more likely happened in transit. I'm guessing you're American, seeing as it's summer it may have been sitting in the back of a hot truck for hours.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

This is a question for any Australian's that read this thread: what turntable do you use and is it good?

It's just that most of the turntables mentioned in this thread aren't available here unless you import them and pay extreme shipping fees, then have to worry about converting voltage and all that. I'm interested to know what some good ones are.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Cheesus posted:

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/10/record-store-day-presents-black-friday.html
Black Friday Record Store Day? I'm somewhat encouraged by the idea of the flipper audience going for the traditional Black Friday deals than the local record shop.

It all seems to be classic rock. Are they targeting baby boomers with plenty of disposable income now?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

fozzie dunlop posted:

There's nothing wrong with buying music, especially in this day and age, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I have a very special hatred for the folks who prefer to look at their records instead of listen to them. If you've ever had to re-send orders because the original record arrived in "unacceptable condition," (read: immaculate record; >1 inch fold in the corner of the original's jacket) you'd understand.

The only time I've had a record resent due to "unnacceptable condition" (apart from a couple of random warped ones) was the new St. Vincent album. Not only was it warped, it had a two inch crack in the vinyl. If a record has a slightly bent corner, or a minor seam split, I don't give a poo poo.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Just starting up my vinyl collection and have picked these up over the past few days.

Been looking for some Sunn O))) on vinyl but couldn't find any at Cheapies in Hamilton, ON. Anyone in the area know where I might find some or am I going to have to mail order it from Southern Lord?

Good choice with the Wild Flag! That was my album of the year.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

So wait, are the discs actually real flexis just like the lovely ones you used to get in Readers Digest where you had to put a coin on the label to make sure your changers 500 gram tonearm didn't stop the thing from actually turning. They had the fidelity of AM radio being transmitted over CB radio. Is this some new trend I've somehow missed?

There's a spot on these ones where it suggests to place a coin if you have trouble playing it, and I need to put a $2 coin on it for it to play properly. It actually sounds ok.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I've been looking to buy a new turntable and have been eyeing this Audio Technica AT-LP120 I saw on ebay the other day. It was $284.95 AUD plus free shipping. I live in Tasmania so my options are extremely limited. I decided to pull the trigger and saw he has increased the price by over $500. Wtf?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUDIO-TE...=item1e6a6699d7

He has sold 50 at the original price and I can't see him selling much more seeing as there is another seller who is much cheaper (but still considerably more expensive than this guys original price).

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Farts Domino posted:

That's pretty weird, but they retail for $250 US on amazon, is that not an option?

Buying from the US I have the problem of different voltage requirements nad giant, huge shipping fees. I'm pretty sure Amazon wont ship a turntable to Australia. That's why I was happy with that guys price, at least until he increased it astronomically.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Got this spare download code:

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

Go to http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/promo/
UFC: 652637312317
Code: MERCY7E6ICYVQ

Should be good for 3 uses

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

MokBa posted:

I am totally listening to my creamy white copy of this right now.

:hfive: That's what I was doing last night!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

WASDF posted:

Only six months later and I finally have my copy of Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness...

My favorite album of all time, so I didn't mind the wait.

Ooh, hopefully my copy will arrive soon!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here the official list of WB's Record Store Day releases:

I think I'm in for the Black Keys and the two Lips releases.

Is that Flaming Lips / Mastodon a split? It only mentions the Mastodon song.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yep, with the original on the b-side.

It would be good if Flaming Lips covered a Mastodon song.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

stay depressed posted:

I feel bad anyone who even thought twice about buying something on that list. RSD is disgusting.

Remember that's just major label poo poo. They see it as a cash grab.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Captured Tracks has some cool stuff, like that Medicine box set.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Just wait at least a year for any poo poo you want, once the feeding frenzy is over. I remember this was hot poo poo on RSD a few years ago, now look at it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I'd say it's a bit of both. It would be easy enough to do (just run-off some flexis and wack them into balloons), but they're having a laugh with their distribution method.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Holy lol this Discogs seller:

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Belovedcollectsmusic

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yes, I would love to purchase albums that I can get for like, $20 tops off of Amazon for upwards of $70. Thank you, Belovedcollectsmusic.

I discovered him when I noticed he was selling a copy of Mellon Collie for the bargain price of $2099. He's selling some CocoRosie 7" for $400 that someone else is for £3.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

big business sloth posted:

Yeah geez. And then you have to figure out if you have the canadian version or some poo poo like that and oh no you got it wrong it was actually the reissue seven months later or whatever. But I only have like 50 records so I dunno why I'm saying this

My main trouble is when I want to add that used Beatles record I picked up, and I have to figure out which of the 40-odd pressings it is. I'm sure my Beatles collection isn't correct :(

Anyway, here's mine: http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=dflanny

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Yesterday I received a 7" I ordered almost four years ago. It was supposed to be a split between Adam Franklin of Swervedriver covering a Wolf Parade Song and Handsome Furs doing a Swervedriver song. It was a pre-order, so I wasn't expecting it straight away. In early 2009 I asked for an update, and they said it should arrive in the next couple of months. Of course it didn't come, so I ended up just writing it off. So it arrived, and now it's all Adam Franklin, with the Wolf Parade song along with a cover of a song by The Clientele. Seeing as I ordered it for Handsome Furs song it's a bit disappointing, but as I thought I would never receive this I'll live with it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTnj50NVJg&feature=related

It's pretty depressing.

He looks really happy. Good on him.

My collection, according to Discogs, stands at 650, with half of those being 7"s, so I don't have a "proper" collection yet according to some of the criteria written here. But I know it will grow :unsmith:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Pre-order is up for the new Dirty Projectors album, for those interested in that kind of thing. Comes with an 8" square vinyl with lyrics printed in loving cuneiform on the b-side.

Check it out up in here.

This redirects me to the UK page where the deluxe package costs £35, with another £18 to ship it to Australia. So in total it's $85 :wtc:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

david puddy posted:

New release CDs are between $20 and $30 here :eng99:
The worst thing is it's just as expensive to order a record from overseas because most people charge $20-$30 shipping, so it's really probably a dumb thing for me to collect

Check for sellers called Rarewaves and importcds-au on ebay. Their record prices are cheap and shipping is like $4 or so to Australia :)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I mainly pick-up second hand stuff in my local record store. Those sellers are great for general new records and reissues. I'm so used to being gouged on shipping it's refreshing when I'm not.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

http://www.popmarket.com/details/27219891

Caribou vinyl bundle daily deal at Popmarket. Andorra and Swim for $30, free shipping (even international!), use code FACEBOOK10 for an extra 10% off.

I jumped on this as they're both great albums which I've been meaning to get on vinyl.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

Nice, ordered this. I can't resist free shipping to Canada.

Love free shipping to Australia!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

https://www.discogs.com

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

You mean you don't like epic 80s-style metal about a videogame?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

cheapandugly posted:

Got something in the mail today...

Sleep - Dopesmoker

On green vinyl, with the holofoil cover. Can't wait to fire this (and a bowl) up.

I've been waiting on this, was looking forward to see what the cover looked like. Looks amazing!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

The new Animal Collective record, Centipede Hz, is up for preorder at Domino.

From the email:

Animal Collective's new album Centipede Hz is now available for pre-order in three physical formats from their new online store! All pre-orders come with an exclusive bonus DVD featuring super high resolution audio of Centipede Hz and live videos from the band's 2011 show in Prospect Park Brooklyn, New York. Here are the details...

Limited Edition Deluxe 2xLP
- 180 GM 2xLP vinyl
- Deluxe Silver Foil 'Tip-on' Gatefold Sleeve
- Printed Inner Sleeves
- MP3/WAV Download Card (16 bit / 44.1khz)
- Limited press of 5000 N.A. / 2500 UK/EU
- Bonus DVD (also available in the retail version)

Standard 2xLP
- 150 GM 2xLP vinyl
- Gatefold Sleeve
- Printed Inner Sleeves
- MP3/WAV Download Card (16 bit / 44.1khz)
- Bonus DVD (pre-order exclusive while supplies last)

Compact Disc
- Deluxe First Press CD Packaged In Silver Foil CD Gatefold Wallet
- Bonus DVD (pre-order exclusive while supplies last)

All formats come with a pre-order exclusive BONUS DVD containing the following:
-DVD playback of Centipede Hz (high res 2 channel PCM audio mix - 24 bit / 96 khz)
-24 bit / 96 khz resolution audio WAV files (ROM data session PC / Mac)
-DVD playback of live video excerpts from the band's July 2011 Prospect Park Brooklyn show (high res 2 channel PCM audio mix - 24 bit / 44.1 khz)
-HD video files (ROM data session PC / Mac)
PLEASE NOTE: The Bonus DVD comes with the Limited Edition Deluxe 2xLP in retail stores, but not with the Standard 2xLP or CD.

http://www.dominorecordco.com/centipedehz

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Insound has a pre-order up for the new Grizzly Bear album Shields. It is on gold vinyl, which is exclusive to them for some reason.

http://www.insound.com/Shields-2xLP-Grizzly-Bear/P/INS109822/

I also got some discount codes in my email just now. It would have been nice to get these before I ordered it:

Insound posted:

Use one of the following codes when purchasing this release from Insound until 8/20/12
Use the code GBshields10 and get 10% off your entire order,
OR if you spend $50 or more, use the code GBshields15 and get 15% off your order!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

WASDF posted:

This is coming out soon. Just leaked on the Japanese iTunes

you can buy it here http://www.pwelverumandsun.com/store

Oh man, Clear Moon is one of my favourite albums of the year, really looking forward to this.

Also, the Blur vinyl box set of 7 albums is on Amazon.ca for for 128 Canadian fun bucks.

http://www.amazon.ca/Blur-21-Collectors-Boxed-Set/dp/B007SAKY42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343786382&sr=8-1

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I used to buy from Insound all the time but stopped after their shipping to Australia became ridiculous

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Blendy posted:

Been out of the posting loop with moving and starting a new job so here's a massive update of what I've purchased in awhile:

Got these yesterday while I was back in Chicago for a wedding.

Oh god I need to get Tilt on vinyl *drooooool*

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Aw man, I used that one every time I ordered there :(

The best code is UTR over at Polyvinyl, it gives you 15% off every time. No sign of it expiring.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm not trying to be dickish, but why do so many people freak out about this kind of thing? I'd say more than half the time, the albums I buy/see in stores have some minor imperfection on the cover. As long as the disc is fine and the cover isn't completely destroyed I don't see what the issue is.

Because it will hurt the resell value! If it's not mint you won't be able to get the maximum price when you inevitably flip it on ebay!

But seriously, living in Australia and buying a lot of my records from overseas, I'm used to getting bent corners and seam splits. As long as the record's not warped to buggery or the sleeve is all beaten up, I don't give a poo poo.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

traveling midget posted:

...where do I buy it?

Also look what came today:

Is it any good? I'm very hesitant on listening to it as the last album was atrocious. Muse were once one of my favorite bands :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

This is probably the dumbest and most pointless box set I've ever seen:

http://piratespressrecords.com/rancid/

I mean, I think Rancid are alright, but does the world really need 178,000 more Rancid 7"s? And Rancid-branded baseball bats?

Your numbers are a bit off. From the Pirates Press Facebook page:

Pirates Press posted:

230,000 units of VINYL. Biggest project we've ever been a part of. Pretty badass. Especially badass because it's for Rancid and Pirates Press Records. HONORED, EXCITED and BUSY, BUSY, BUSY... words that don't even sum up what we're feeling right now! #musthave #vinyl #rancid #piratespress #piratespressrecords #hardwork

I'm gobsmacked by how ridiculous the whole thing is.