Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

theradiostillsucks posted:

The worst part is that even the scraps and filler that Douglas P considers fit to reissue generally wholesale for what I would consider to be above-average retail prices, meaning prices once stores put their markup on them fall squarely into "gently caress that" territory, especially considering that it's rarely the good stuff.

Also, if it's your first venture into DiJ territory, But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter? is a good intro for their neofolk phase. Someone else can give you a rundown of the industrial albums since I'm not as fond of or well versed in those. They're like any number of similar acts in that a lot of the shock value is simply that and a lot of what you might be led to believe is deep is simply cribbed from some pseudo-esoteric source that allows the band to feel intelligent, kinda like how sci-fi authors love to use obscure or high-brow epigraphs at the beginning of chapters.

Doesn't help that since he is gay he would be led to the gas chambers immediately.

But even his new albums go for $40, its ridiculous. And you will never ever get a good deal from eBay, even if it's not Buy It Now (good luck finding an auction though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

It looks like I'm the odd man out since I don't have Big Black - He's a Whore/The Model

Here is me:
http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=kidrush

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

RizieN posted:

I've been meaning to sign up but I don't have the time to actually go through my catalog...

I imagine it'd take all loving day to get it proper, how long did it take most of you guys with fairly sizeable collections?

I just add poo poo when I get it. I sold most of my records a few years ago, so I started from scratch around the time I got a discogs account.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Speaking of ridiculous album covers, I'm lucky enough to be friends with a guy who works at a record store, and I came across this when I was flipping through their bins one day.

After we had stopped laughing at how bad it looked, he let me keep it for free. It sounds about as bad as you could imagine.

I see so many god drat Y&T records around town cloggin' up the metal sections.

It is pretty fun looking at you dude's discogs but I can't get past the C's with out getting bored. Sorry guys.

nadabolt posted:

not much, but maybe some interesting stuff? I only recently started collecting aggressively so hey.

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=sockrocker79

That is one hell of a noise rock collection.

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 5, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

I think I've only ever sent like 3 records out of hundreds via domestic Priority since everyone just expects/accepts Media Mail pricing. Really, Priority Mail in the US isn't much faster than Media in my experience and nobody ever bothers w/ it when they buy from me. If you want tracking just slap Delivery Confirmation on top of Media Mail.

Most people are lazy (me) and don't want to go to the post office. With priority they will pick up for you. I wish they did that with media.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Seriously, listen to that. It's like the soundtrack for The Thing and Sorcerer had a baby. It rules, and this one song has immediately sold me on the project.

Oooh thats pretty drat good.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Went to a record fair today and blew a quarter of my paycheck. I also found a dude that will buy my excess Psychic TV records! Stoked on getting Christ: The Album and the first Poison Girls record.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Was it CHIRP record fair in Chicago? That would be an a
amazing coincidence, because I was there and picked up the album of your avatar. Among others.

Haha nah, it was the Night Owl in Portland. For a city that has a million record stores you'd think we would have more than 1 record fair

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Hell yes. Went for the orange cream myself. Can't wait for this album, they are by far one of my favorite bands.

Also just ordered the Dopesmoker re-issue. Gonna have a good time with that one.

Woah I had no idea that was OOP, I remember seeing that poo poo like 3 or 4 years ago for $15 and now it doesn't go for under $50. Its a shame cuz I loved that album then but was too cheap to buy it and if I had it now I would have sold it in a heartbeat.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

thebigpicture posted:

Dinosaur Jr. - Bug (live)
limited to 200 copies
purple vinyl
http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/products/dinosaur-jr-bug-live

They sounded good as hell on that tour, so I'd recommend getting that if ya didn't go.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

cheapandugly posted:

Some new treats arrived...

A bit of horror...

and a bit of heaven.

I wasn't too sold on the Whitehouse, since I'm not really familiar with them beyond a couple of super fun harsh noise tracks, but the price was right at $4. The Godspeed record is one of my favorite albums of all time, when I listen to it I'm overwhelmed with joy.

That copy of Meddle was an amazing find David Puddy, I haven't seen many records that old look that good.

Where the gently caress did you find a Whitehouse album for $4??

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

nadabolt posted:

cool heres mine

all originals, packed into a stupid large image cuz I suck.

the spines on the metal records are thrashed, probably because the guy had a cat or something. but hey, $15 for a Kill 'Em All on Megaforce aint bad.

I got it for $10 then sold it for even less :(

Picked up Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries and Television Personalities - ...And Don't The Kids Just Love It today. Got my Kickstarter only Black Tambourine EP the other day and it is sooo sooooo drat good.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

big business sloth posted:

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on this. It's Ramones covers right?

Yeah. Here's the DL code if anyone wants it: PG5HZSG946

Slumberland put out a normal version of it that I can't imagine is sold out, its just not on splatter purple and clean vinyl

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

Two great records. TVP record is probably one of my favorites, glad they got reissued by 4 men or whoever did it.

I was trying pretty hard for a while to get OG stuff if theirs on eBay, but it always got a little too pricey. Finally gave in and bought the reissue, which I usually don't do.

Today I got bored and bought:

Muslimgauze - The Unfinished Mosque
CTI - A Core International Project
Vomito Negro - Dare

I almost got Lo-Fi India Abuse by Muslimgauze instead but I figured I shouldn't be spending $30 on a record if I'm moving in a month. Oh well.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

A friend of mine spent like $600 on like 3 Ulver releases a few months ago. I was a little bit confused but what ever floats yer boat I guess.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Picked up the new Spacghostpurrp today after only one listen last night. If you like dark music and rap, then grab it. Also found two Big Black 7"s for $3 each!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Is there a specific (budget) brush that you guys can recommend? Cotton balls aren't working as well as I remember them working...

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

theradiostillsucks posted:

For whatever reason, Thin Lizzy records just aren't that common in the wild, at least in my area. If you do see anything, it's typically a beat-to-poo poo copy of Jailbreak or Live & Dangerous (Johnny the Fox or Chinatown if you're lucky), certainly not Black Rose (though I assume this could be a recent reissue pressing based on the condition of it). In related news, we got the Light in the Attic reissue of their self-titled in at work today, though I haven't had a chance to look at it other than seeing that it came in. LitA do great reissues, even though they're kind of expensive. Might be worth revisiting since I've long been of the opinion that Thin Lizzy didn't really hit their stride until Night Life or Fighting, despite having a some good songs scattered across the albums before those.

I've only even seen Jailbreak a handful of times. Live and Dangerous pops up every now and then, but I already have that. Not really sure how though since I never paid for it.

I picked up a bunch of cheap records the other day (mostly sample source crap), but lucked out on a Tampere SS 7" and The Boy With the Arab Strap for $6! Right in the front of the new arrival section too.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

(x posted from EW a day or two ago) Seattle dudes, I'm heading up there in 2 weeks and I can't really think of anything to do but shop for cool poo poo. So what records stores are reasonably priced and have good stock? I'm staying in the U District and I wont have a car or a bike. I like almost anything but dad rock and record stores with mainly new and shrink wrapped releases. The girlfriend is into hardcore and industrial/synth pop stuff. We'd love to find a cool place to kill an hour or two! I know there's an Everyday Music up there, but I like about 3 blocks from one of the PDX locations so I'm not dying to check the place out.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Factory posted:

What do you guys do with the posters included in some releases? I've been leaving them in the sleeves, but I've been tempted to hang them up as of late.

Get some of that blue gum tack stuff. I've had no problems with it destroying my posters. It did take some paint off our wall though...

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Finally got the Swans album the other day! Beautiful triple gatefold with a nice cat's anus on the back with Gira's signature a few inches below it.

Went up to Seattle for a few days and only got to check a hand ful of record stores out. Bop Street is uncomfortable and I don't get why it even exists. Sonic Boom has great prices and a great, but small, used indie/punk section where I splurged on some good $6 plates. Wish I could have tried the plce next to Melrose Marketplace since it was very aesthetically pleasing looking inside.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

dumbskull posted:

WHats the right thing to clean them with?

Get something like this http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RD-1006-Discwasher-Record-System/dp/B000KMZKTO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1347777144&sr=8-7&keywords=vinyl+cleaner. You could just get the brush and make your own solution. I got the recipe from this thread (70% purified water, 30% isopropyl alcohol, a few drops of unscented dish soap. I might be remembering wrong, I made it a while ago). Get a carbon fiber brush for every day cleaning.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

I had some nice scores last weekend. Nothing too rare, but I was able to get three really good records for considerably less than they usually go for.

I picked up:

Renaldo and the Loaf & The Residents collabo for $12!
Bikini Kill/Huggy Bear split for $8!
Art Ensemble of New York - Full Force for $4
and this oddity: http://www.discogs.com/Marc-Almond-And-Friends-Discipline/release/2619011 I had no idea this exists and I'm a big Soft Cell and Throbbing Gristle fan. I saw Marc Almond on top and almost skimmed past it when I saw (Carter, Tutti, P. Orridge, Christopherson) a little below.

Also, attention Coil fans! Soleilmoon is repressing the Sickness of Snakes side of their split with Current 93:

Soleilmoon posted:

In the early 1980s, shortly after the breakup of Throbbing Gristle, Boyd Rice went to London to record a one-off studio session with Jeff Rushton and Peter Christopherson, who had recently started releasing records as Coil. The trio called themselves The Sickness of Snakes, and the recordings were released on a split 12 inch, with Current 93 taking the opposite side of the album. Now, more than 25 years after the original release, Boyd Rice is reissuing the three Sickness of Snakes tracks as a one-sided 12 inch record and a CDEP. Both editions are presented in lavishly printed sleeves, and include previously unpublished photos of Boyd Rice and Coil and a new essay written by Boyd Rice. For the CDEP, the photos and essay are printed in an eight page booklet, and for the vinyl edition, they're printed on a long, folded insert. The red vinyl edition is limited to 99 numbered copies, and is available only to Soleilmoon mailorder customers.

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 23, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

One of my managers at work told me about how no one is really sure who owns the rights to Coil's material, which is why no one is sure if its going to get reissued. And why all the back catalog is so drat expensive

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Cracky posted:

Not sure whether I should :nws: this, but please tell me if I do.

http://i.imgur.com/Lu2eO.jpg

the infamous 'nww list'

Woaaaahhhhhh. That's amazing!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 6, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Thanks, yeah I can't wait to give them to her, she's going to flip.

Yeah, Hello Nasty is a reissue, only around $18 or so. I'm happy that a number of the ones I ordered are gatefold 2lp, one is a 10", there's a few color vinyl, etc. It's fun to support her listening habits with cool records :3:

My partner wont let me buy her records anymore ha. I always put a lot of thought into what I got her, but after a few years its gotten repetitive

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's some cool stuff I've gotten this week:

The Black Angels - Passover [1st pressing]
Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz - Crunk Juice
Ty Segall - Twins
Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky

The cover of the Black Angels album is embossed and looks/feels really cool. The reissue (which I have) just uses a standard tip-on jacket.

I had to get that Lil Jon album just for this ridiculous song.

Does it have this version?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx_E4rfFkGs

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

david puddy posted:

I just got a couple of records, and one them has a pretty dirty cover. It's a matte finish sort of sleeve so I'm probably reaching here, is it possible to clean something like this at all? I don't have high hopes but I'd like if it could be restored a little.

I used to have tat record, now I only have the sleeve. Stupid old room mates.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Been a huge week for me so far, vinyl-wise. No pics as my digital camera isn't working. I'm a metal guy, so the stuff I picked up was in that genre. First, my small Hell's Headbangers order arrived:

- Black Jesus "Black Jesus Saves", limited to 300 copies, 150 black, 150 red. My copy is red, looks and sounds excellent
- Beherit "Celebrate the Dead". Been holding off on buying this for whatever reason, but finally gave in and it was definitely worth the purchase. No inner sleeve though, just a regular cardboard gimmick.

Then, I hit the Electric Fetus in Minneapolis, and in the bargain section I found a TON of awesome / rare 80s speed / thrash / power metal. Grabbed Fifth Angel - S/T, Wild Dogs - Reign in Terror, Cerebus - No Time to Pray, Rage - Execution Guaranteed, Armored Saint - Raising Fear, Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive, Anthem - Bound to Break, and I found a copy of Guitar Pete's Axe Attack - Nitemare, all in mint or near mint condition, all for $2.99 each, plus they had a 20% off sale going on. I was in rare metal LP heaven.

Finally, my copy of Lymphatic Phlegm's 10" re-release for "Bloodsplattered Pathological Dysfunctions" that I won at eBay showed up. #482 of 500. Killer record, but I hate odd sized LPs (10", 8").

I have the Hells Headbangers triple 8" Profanatica box set. Its like a normal EP's amount of songs but for some awful reason its split up on three 8"ers

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

cheapandugly posted:

Attention Throbbing Gristle fans.... http://greedbag.com/mailout/~throbbinggristlestore016/

There are only going to be 500 copies.

drat! That went fast.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

Joseph remains the only xmas album worth playing.
http://handalligator.com/mp3/shopping.mp3

Well they did capture the true spirit of christmas. Also this rules, who is it?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

Same.

Two more records:

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic sealed tape
The Residents - Eskimo
Sonic Youth - Smart Bar 1985

I'm pretty new to the Residents, and a local store just got a ton of their albums in mint condition. Which ones should I check out?

Third Reich N Roll and the Commercial Album first. Then maybe Duck Stab and Fingerprince. I like all the Mole trilogy albums too (Mark of the Mole, Tunes of Twso Cities, and Big Bubble), but a lot of people aren't into the 80s synth sounds for some reason. Big Bubble is my favorite out of those even though apparently its reviled by most other fans. Honestly all of their output from the 70s and 80s is excellent. I've never seen any of the 90s albums on vinyl.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Stuntman posted:

Not Available is pretty drat good, and it got a repress recently so your store should have it.

It has like 15 (I think) extra minutes that were edited out of the original release added to it too!

Surfingelectrode posted:

More Residents:

Commercial Album was gone when I went back. They still have (off the top of my head) Not Available, Mark of the Mole, The Tunes of Two Cities, Title in Limbo, Mole Show, George & James, Vileness Fats, The Big Bubble, Diskomo, and Intermission.

If you have the money buy them all. They're all good. Intermission, Diskomo, Mole Show and George & James would be the non-essential albums though.

I forgot Title in Limbo! That is an amazing album. Its their collaboration with Renaldo & The Loaf who are probably one of the few bands that could be compared to the Residents. Its probably their only release that I'd call "gorgeous". Somehow I found it for $10 a few weeks ago.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Has anything outdone RRR 1000, with 500 locked grooves-per-side?

E- never saw this great Wikipedia page before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

Well there's DJ scratch records that usually have about 100 short sounds on them. But those hardly count. There's also the Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! 7" compilation series

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

House DJ/producer Todd Edwards is selling all the records he used as sample sources in lots on eBay. You can find them here http://www.ebay.com/sch/toddedwardsrecords/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Todd Edwards posted:

I recently moved from New Jersey to my new home of Los Angeles and I drove a truck across the US with all of my belongings (very Hollywood, right?). Before I left Jersey, my manager asked me what I was going to do with all of my old records and I said I didn't know, and he asked me to pack them as he'd love to have them.

A week later, when I finally made it to California and pulled up to my manager's house, he was drinking a mai tai and said "I changed my mind." Typical!

These records I've collected over the last 25 years and every record has been sampled by me (at least once if not more!), so they're all stored in my sample banks. I don't have space in my apartment or in my studio for them, so I've decided to put my entire record collection up for sale.

My manager's lovely assistant Elene (she is an angel!) picked up the records, put them in boxes of roughly 50, and has them all ready to be shipped.

There are beautiful gospel records, lots of disco 12"s from the '70s, some wild freestyle white labels, plenty of '60s and '70s rock albums, and lots of house records from the '80s & '90s (Strictly Rhythm, Nervous, all the classics).

Have fun and here's to receiving some good surprises!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

Yo, lemme holla at that 50 pound box of trash.

Daaaamn

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

stay depressed posted:

I've been on the hunt for a couple classic Punk and Ska releases for awhile now and I'm proud to be able to post three new additions!

The Specials - S/T ('79)

Picked this up for a song down at the local record shop. So stoked to finally have it.

Dead Kennedys - Too Drunk To gently caress 12" (UK Cherry Red, '81)

I've basically been hunting this down for the total rager of a B-side. Also one of my favorite runout etchings ever: (A) What a sucker you must be... (B) If you bought this record twice. Sorry for the weird photo. I was eating dinner and didn't want to wait to post!

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia 12" (UK Cherry Red, '80)

This came with its other Cherry Red counterpart. Nothing special or interesting here just HiC and Police Truck (Great track!). Thrilled to take it on top of the others.

Dead Kennedys had releases on Cherry Red? That's loving rad! That Specials album meant so much to me when I was 13, I should probably own that by now.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

found in a thrift store for a buck

People need to post more poo poo like this! That is so drat awesome.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

quirks that made unintended sounds.

Thats the best part dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

dutch wife abc posted:

Well, it finally arrived. The pressing plant was delayed by over three months, but it's here now.

Boyd Rice's liner notes are really insightful and cool. Apparently they used Kate Bush's syntheseizer for this record.

Yeah I was surprised at how tender and warm Boyd Rice sounded, I never pegged him for a sentimental dude.