Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Can anyone recommend a particular plastic sleeve for loose albums, or a cover for the whole jacket that doesn't tend to slip off? The ones I grabbed are so slippery that the album will creep out of the end of the cover as it moves around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
You mean like bags for the whole jacket and everything? I use massive record size zip lock bags that I buy by the 100 at my record store. Up until now I assumed they were really common, but I can't find them for sale anywhere on the web.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Parachute Underwear posted:

FYI: I think the new Converge finally shipped. Got a tracking number today for that order, but there was no further info. It's either that or poo poo is really getting pushed back and they're sending the other stuff.

New Converge has definitely shipped. I know as of the last week of November the records were on their way from the plant. Deathwish posted a picture of a shitload of boxes ready to go out on Monday-ish. I even saw someone post a picture of their 5 copies.

My copy is currently in New Jersey which means it SHOULD be here tomorrow. When it does get here my upstairs neighbors are going to hate me.

carpet twine
Sep 9, 2007
lurk less

Ordered this back in August and it finally got here today. I had completely forgotten that I ordered it. At least I can take a small joy that they wrote my name on the back of the sleeve.

Now hopefully my Kishi Bashi Snowflexi arrives in a more timely fashion.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I've been on the hunt for a couple classic Punk and Ska releases for awhile now and I'm proud to be able to post three new additions!

The Specials - S/T ('79)

Picked this up for a song down at the local record shop. So stoked to finally have it.

Dead Kennedys - Too Drunk To gently caress 12" (UK Cherry Red, '81)

I've basically been hunting this down for the total rager of a B-side. Also one of my favorite runout etchings ever: (A) What a sucker you must be... (B) If you bought this record twice. Sorry for the weird photo. I was eating dinner and didn't want to wait to post!

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia 12" (UK Cherry Red, '80)

This came with its other Cherry Red counterpart. Nothing special or interesting here just HiC and Police Truck (Great track!). Thrilled to take it on top of the others.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Best vinyl thread post ever.

Edit for something resembling content:

I've had these over 20 years but can't remember the last time I listened to them.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 14, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

stay depressed posted:

I've been on the hunt for a couple classic Punk and Ska releases for awhile now and I'm proud to be able to post three new additions!

The Specials - S/T ('79)

Picked this up for a song down at the local record shop. So stoked to finally have it.

Dead Kennedys - Too Drunk To gently caress 12" (UK Cherry Red, '81)

I've basically been hunting this down for the total rager of a B-side. Also one of my favorite runout etchings ever: (A) What a sucker you must be... (B) If you bought this record twice. Sorry for the weird photo. I was eating dinner and didn't want to wait to post!

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia 12" (UK Cherry Red, '80)

This came with its other Cherry Red counterpart. Nothing special or interesting here just HiC and Police Truck (Great track!). Thrilled to take it on top of the others.

Dead Kennedys had releases on Cherry Red? That's loving rad! That Specials album meant so much to me when I was 13, I should probably own that by now.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
El Cielo by dredg just arrived it is beautiful thank you dredg

45 RPM :c00lbert:
Looks pretty next to Leitmotif

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

david puddy posted:

El Cielo by dredg just arrived it is beautiful thank you dredg

45 RPM :c00lbert:
Looks pretty next to Leitmotif

Oh man, I didn't even know this was a thing. 10th anniversary? I'm old.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
You can use the code lastsecond15 at Insound until 11:59 PM on Sunday to get 15% off anything in the store. So you'd essentially get free shipping. v:shobon:v

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Is everyone else intentionally ignoring those pictures from stay depressed?

I guess I'm not in on the joke but :wtc:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's funny because most of this thread is just pics people take of their records arranged neatly.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
He's usually a high quality poster, I just assumed he had a massive stroke or something.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

You mean like bags for the whole jacket and everything? I use massive record size zip lock bags that I buy by the 100 at my record store. Up until now I assumed they were really common, but I can't find them for sale anywhere on the web.

Every place around here has basically just open sleeves, for the whole thing. I have the opening facing the same direction as the opening in the jacket - the record can be removed without removing the cover. But, when I place them on the shelf, the jacket sorta creeps out of the sleeve. Having the opening facing up would just allow some dust to get in but that's maybe the way to go.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I hate when you push the record back onto the shelf and the plastic sleeve catches or slips off and I also hate the fact that I'm using a dozen different kinds for some records and no sleeves for others. I'm going to just order 100 sleeves and just re-sleeve them all at once in the same way.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I got that bug once, it cost me about $1100 to resleeve everything.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

$1100? :psyduck:

Are there audiophile protective sleeves made with dust eating nano-bots or something?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Jeez. With the sleeves I buy that'd be enough to cover roughly 4400 records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Just a heads up. Someone was asking about when the special lighting bolt Blunderbuss LPs were going out. Mine came today with my Vault package (they were in separate conatiners), but I only got the shipping announcement for the Vault package. So if you're signed up for that and they told you your package is coming you should probably expect your copy of Blunderbuss as well.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Parachute Underwear posted:

Jeez. With the sleeves I buy that'd be enough to cover roughly 4400 records.

Crates of 1200 sleeves are about $90 each from Square Deal.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

synthetik posted:

Crates of 1200 sleeves are about $90 each from Square Deal.

Christ. Well, it's often just a handful. My shop pre-sleeves everything so I only need them for the occasional internet order.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Listening to All We Love We Leave Behind right now.

Worth the wait. Packaging is top notch and it sounds great. I mean, that's pretty much a given with Deathwish, but still.

The translucent blue looks pretty neat.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Here's what I'm using. The Zip lock is super handy as I live in the dustiest house in the universe (Cheap blow-in insulation many years ago) although they are a pain in the rear end to get open super quickly. They take up to triples, I think I have my All Things Must Pass in one. I googled my rear end off but can't find a mention of these things. I might ask the guy at the store next time I'm in.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Just a heads up. Someone was asking about when the special lighting bolt Blunderbuss LPs were going out. Mine came today with my Vault package (they were in separate conatiners), but I only got the shipping announcement for the Vault package. So if you're signed up for that and they told you your package is coming you should probably expect your copy of Blunderbuss as well.

I got my Blunderbuss shipping notification but not my vault one. Hopefully they both come together.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
So psyched to get these:

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper
Flaming Lips - Oh My Gawd!!... The Flaming Lips tape

My new car only has a tape deck, so I'm probably going to be buying a lot of tapes over the next week or so.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
found in a thrift store for a buck

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

So psyched to get these:

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper
Flaming Lips - Oh My Gawd!!... The Flaming Lips tape

My new car only has a tape deck, so I'm probably going to be buying a lot of tapes over the next week or so.
Tapes are so cool to me for some reason. I've never really owned any because they went out of fashion right before I started buying music, but I just love their look for some reason. I'm sure the sound quality is terrible but I feel like they'd make great collectibles.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I'm sure the sound quality is terrible but I feel like they'd make great collectibles.

Tape sq is quite good actually, provided you have a nice deck and speakers and nothing in the chain is worn or damaged.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Owsla posted:

Tape sq is quite good actually, provided you have a nice deck and speakers and nothing in the chain is worn or damaged.

Yeah. I'm a packaging nerd, so I always think it's cool to see how the album art is different for the tape releases of albums.

I forgot how much I love Fear of a Black Planet (other than that one sorta-homophobic verse on that one song). Such a good album.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Tapes are so cool to me for some reason. I've never really owned any because they went out of fashion right before I started buying music, but I just love their look for some reason. I'm sure the sound quality is terrible but I feel like they'd make great collectibles.

Owsla posted:

Speaking as someone who grew up in the Cassette era, it really is a format that should be left dead. Vinyl is fiddly and delicate, but it has a pay off... Cassette is just a jamming, hissing, fluttering mess of a format. 128K Mp3s are better.

Collect them for the packaging/band aspect, fine...but for the love of god, don't listen to it. :)

If you want rare interesting formats to collect, look for pre-recorded minidisc and even more so, DAT and DCC as those are REALLY rare and unusual.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 15, 2012

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I like cassettes, but that's probably because I have a lovely car stereo and someone stole my ipod so my adapter is useless.

I've bought more (new) cassettes in the last 6 months than I've bought CDs in the last 6 years. I'm glad punk and punk-ish bands have been putting them out recently. I have easily 5-6 copies of The World is a Beautiful Place's Formlessness EP laying around.

But yeah, the sound isn't great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey you kids!

If my stylus is wearing out would that cause there to be ambient static sounds on some records or do I just have a lovely pressing (I highly suspect the latter).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Making mixtapes on cassettes was a ton of fun, CD-Rs made it so easy the process lost some of it's magic.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Cassette tape is a poo poo format whose only remaining redeeming function is that it is a low cost alternative (to pressing CD/vinyl) for distribution of product with unique physical qualities.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

found in a thrift store for a buck

People need to post more poo poo like this! That is so drat awesome.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I think the last cassette I bought was One Hot Minute in '95. I remember because it got destroyed on a road trip. It was always a huge bummer when a tape broke.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cassette tapes are a format that deserved to die. It sounded like poo poo not just because of the compression, but because the physical properties of the media had all kinds of quirks that made unintended sounds.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I think the last cassette I bought was One Hot Minute in '95. I remember because it got destroyed on a road trip. It was always a huge bummer when a tape broke.

I had my car eat a brand new cassette a couple months ago because I tried rewinding it. I'd forgotten the soul crushing pain this causes.

You hear it happening but you're powerless to do anything, then anything you do do just makes it worse.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

quirks that made unintended sounds.

Thats the best part dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Thats the best part dummy

I suppose I could just start throwing sand on my turntable or poking holes in my speakers.