Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Red Eye Records in Sydney have put their unsold RSD stock online. It updates twice daily as orders go in. I grabbed the Devo/Flaming Lips 7" (now seems to be sold out) and Butch Devo & The Sundance Kid.

http://www.redeye.com.au/iAsk.asp?reion=USA

My local had about 5 copies of that bright green Ghostbusters single. Everyone was picking it up, laughing at it, then putting it back in the crate. Should have grabbed a few copies as it seems to be in demand now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I'm up for of Montreal's live album, plus Field Music's 'Music for Drifters'. Everything else I find fairly unimpressive.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The one RSD release I wanted (of Montreal's live album) has been delayed so won't turn up in Australia until next week. I guess I can skip the queues tomorrow!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

So I picked up Field Music's 'Music for Drifters'. It's quite pretty. No idea how it sounds because I have no record player and the download site isn't live yet :(

Red Eye Records in Sydney still had plenty of stock behind the counter. Lines were gone by 11am.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Barry posted:

The only thing I'm interested that's coming out on RSD isn't actually a part of RSD - a bunch of Neko Case reissues are being released. Blacklisted, Furnace Room Lullaby and The Tigers Have Spoken.

I'm very interested in these. Are they being released individually? I've only seen the box set, and as much as I love her work I don't think I can justify that price.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Ballz posted:

Get ready for a lot of shipments from Germany.

What's up with this? Every item on my want list is located in either Germany or Italy. Why are they hoarding the good stuff?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I can't help but feel that Devo are just clearing house now that they're essentially finished as a band. Raid the vaults and make easy cash without having to do anything new.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Isn't the lead time to print vinyl something like 6 months or so, due to the growing demand and relatively small number of record manufacturers? This stuff would have been prepared well before anyone knew he was on his way out.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Aside from the first Go! Team album (which doesn't specify if it's the original version or the re-recorded due to legal advice version), there's nothing on that list that I'd even consider lining up for. Bit sad compared to previous years.

Also lol at the Flaming Lips box set of all their most disappointing albums.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Embryonic and Mystics are great :shrug:

OK, I'll concede Mystics was a good album but everything afterwards paled in comparison. And I'm one of those idiots who bought the furry box edition of Embryonic and has Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl.

At least this set isn't being released in a loving gummi uterus or whatever.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Dubstep Jesus posted:

does anyone own Zaireeka by the Flaming Lips?

e:

I own the Zaireeka vinyl box set. I don't even have one record player, let alone four.

It is the most ill-considered purchase I've ever made. :downs:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I picked up a second hand copy of an old Orange Juice album yesterday which has clearly not been treated well; it's free of scratches but has patches of Christ knows what on the second side. What's the best way to wash vinyl?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Something for Everybody was a solid album but definitely not at the same level as 'Are We Not Men' or 'New Traditionalists'.

I find it interesting that it's basically impossible to find Smooth Noodle Maps anywhere. I'm a massive Devo fan but that one has always eluded me. Nobody seems to want it made available, even for curiosity's sake.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I picked up an old copy of McCartney II a few months back and I won't lie, it's probably my most-played record. Love me a bit of Temporary Secretary.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if the recent crop of Prince reissues are any good? They popped up pretty fast after he died so I'm wondering if they just poo poo out a bunch of CDs on vinyl.

I picked up a new copy of Controversy a while back and it sounds fine to me.

Hold off on Purple Rain though. A proper reissue's coming next year.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

wa27 posted:

This year's Devo release is something literally nobody was asking for.

Cool packaging, at least. Lots of demos and cut tracks, but sadly no Swedish Baby Doll.

Oh good. Maybe next year will be Smooth Noodle Maps, another ‘unrecognised classic' 🤮

As a Devo fan, I wish they’d just give up.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Eucalyptus oil is pretty good for removing sticky label residue. It also makes everything smell nice. Which is probably a good thing if your house is full of op shop treasures.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I impulse bought the Zaireeka vinyl set a few years back, never once listened to it because lol. It was still sealed when I sold it back in January to a record store which went out of business about a month later.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Mystery Steve posted:

If it was art angels you'd be better off ripping from your record or buying the cd, the coupon mp3s were awful, really compressed and the volume would be way off between tracks, I forget if there was a track missing on the album or for dload due to a rights issue. If you really want them you can try and email a photo of the coupon to the label, I've done this with a few records (bought new) and I've been given a link and password for a download, Mr.Bongo Records have done this for me a couple of times.

I bought an album released in 2019 which came with a download code for a bunch of untagged 128kbps quality mp3s. Who knew that was still an option?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I saw The Flaming Lips at the Sydney Opera House back in 2019 doing their Soft Bulletin 20th anniversary show. They had the same energy as when I first saw them in 2003, and it erased my disappointment from their shows in 2009/2011. It was loud and joyful and beautiful.

I still consider At War with the Mystics to be their last good album; nothing since has really done anything for me, especially the last few. But they can still be amazing live.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I order a lot of cassette tapes off Discogs because I’m a massive idiot. Just getting them from Italy (where apparently all cassette sellers are located) to here in Finland has taken between 6-10 weeks.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I found the Partyman and Batdance 12” singles at a record store in roughly 2013, 2014. Both in perfect condition, paid maybe $5 each. But I also paid $50 for an original CD copy of The Gold Experience so I’m still a sucker forever.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I love that Prince created his own ‘Gemini’ character for the album who was half Batman/half Joker, and seemingly nobody thought to tell him that Two Face already existed. Or maybe he just didn’t care.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I have the Batman Forever soundtrack. It’s possibly one of my most played records because it’s such a weird collection of songs that absolutely do not go together. Also because it was my first Batman movie and it hits all those nostalgia buttons for me.

‘Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me’ is U2’s best song (closely followed by the remix of 'Elevation’ from the Tomb Raider soundtrack).

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The only CDs I buy these days are compilation box sets from Cherry Red. They release consistently good collections of 80s/90s indie and electronica.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I think the best gimmick packaging I’ve seen is by a Sydney band called Litter who put their record in a pizza box along with a disposable nappy, an old tampon box, a used coffee cup and other assorted bits of trash, all with the lyrics printed on them. The nappy had a very realistic looking stain. It was extremely impressive.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

lol

I have a handful of records that do not obviously indicate what speed to play them at, and I almost always pick the wrong speed first try.

While sorting my records a month or so ago I came across a white label 12” which I didn’t remember buying. Had a Rough Trade logo and nothing else.

Put it on and still didn’t recognise it. Even tried to ID it with Shazam; no luck. Turned out it was the 'Final Day' promo single by Belle & Sebastian which I'd bought years ago. I was playing it at the wrong speed. Felt like an absolute prat.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

pwn posted:

Did you buy it in 2017? There was a fella from Glasgow named Steve (not Jackson) selling a huge collection of test pressings and promos and such that Summer, I got some CDs and he burned me a bunch of great bootlegs but regrettably i missed out on a Dog on Wheels test press 12” that i fancied.

Haha, I wish I was that cool. I bought it from a little record store in Sydney. If I remember correctly it was part of a huge consignment from some guy who spent his life collecting a giant UK indie/dance collection ever then died of cancer. I picked up an original Blue Monday 12” and a signed copy of Matt Berry's ‘Opium’ at the same time, but had to say no to what must have been the entire run of 80s Pet Shop Boys singles. My budget only stretched so far. 😓

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone had issues recently with Discogs Android app logging you our whenever you use it? I feel like this started about a week ago, but feels like drat near every time I open the app on my phone, I'm logged out and have to log back in. Never used to do this.

I get that on the iOS app as well. Every time I open it I have to login with 2FA.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

There are some great reissue labels like Cherry Red who only do CDs. Their C86 series of indie compilations isn’t available in any other format, for example. I like that they come with booklets explaining the significance of each track.

The last non-compilation CD I bought was Prince's Sign O' The Times super deluxe because gently caress paying the $700 or whatever it was that they wanted for the vinyl box.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

How do you folks use categories on Discogs?

I’ve never known how it ought to be used, so my relatively small (roughly 250) collection is all marked ‘uncategorized’. I feel like there must be a better way of organising it into something vaguely usable.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Artist country.

I'm trying to focus on finding more Finnish albums so sorting them into their own category makes sense. Can't believe I hadn't thought of this.

Moe_Rahn posted:

These are my pretty vague categories, they're more to satisfy my compulsion to sort stuff than anything. "Uncategorized" is the default for any of "my" records, some of the others are by origin (e.g. "X's Parents' Records" is pretty self-explanatory, "Briefcase Full of 8-Tracks" is a, well, briefcase full of 8-tracks, that I bought at a garage sale and am very slowly cataloguing because most of them aren't in the database.)

Briefcase full of 8 tracks,
b-b-b briefcase full of 8 tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1trwnxBhU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Ween shows are fun. Their east coast schedule is weird as hell though. I hope they add dates

I saw Ween years ago, I think they were touring La Cucaracha so probably 2008? I only knew the big songs at that time so didn’t know what to expect, but I absolutely loved it. The XL drum solo so that the rest of the band could grab dinner at the bar was a bit excessive, otherwise it was fantastic.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

In a vintage store the other day I found an absolutely thrashed original copy of Paul McCartney's 'Pipes of Peace' with a 30€ price tag. It was surrounded by old classical albums and budget 80s compilations which were all around 5€ so I have no idea how or why it was priced like that.

I regret not picking up 'Sauna A-Go-Go', however. https://www.discogs.com/release/1563450-Jaakko-Salo-Orchestra-Sauna-%C0-Go-Go (NSFW)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I like cassettes because they remind me of when I first got into music as a kid. Listening to Peter Gabriel's Sixteen Golden Greats on trips with Dad, or Elton John's Greatest Hits with Mum. One Christmas I got Thriller on cassette and it was my most prized possession. When I discovered Prince I got 1999 on cassette from the library, then took it to school and got in trouble because it was inappropriate for the classroom.

I have a small collection of cassettes now. I like to tell myself that I have a rule of only albums released in the 90s, but I’ve clearly made multiple exceptions. I don’t even have a tape player so I cannot justify anything.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I once discovered a cool new band from the free CD in the latest issue of Uncut sometime around early 2006. They had a fresh sound I’d never heard before.

I told my dad and he laughed at me.

It was 'Metaphor' by Sparks. :)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Wish there was a way you could teleport records and other merch you buy at a show back to your car. I hate babysitting that stuff, but waiting until the show is over is risking everything you want being sold out.

This wasn’t a problem in the 2000s. Jeans pockets were big enough to comfortably hold a cd jewel case.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

There are multiple Jason Donovan albums at my local second hand store. In Lapland. Why.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

pwn posted:

https://twitter.com/bellesglasgow/status/1611048503412662274

Late Developers (get it?), new album of stuff originally made for last year's album.

Edit: Street date is the 13th. No preorder pages up yet.

Did this info go up too early or something? Matador website gives an error when I try finding anything about it, and the website only shows that grey fog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

pwn posted:

I think they're trying the whole mysterious social media thing for hype. It's cute :shobon: Apparently Record Collector magazine in the UK already reviewed the disc, according to a fan on their FB page, which is where I first got the name and street date. I did also find the empty Matador page, which popped up in Google because they probably have it ready to go live. I just hope it has one cover.

Oh hey there