Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I only bought a t-shirt from Italians Do It Better once and they tossed in two CDs and two prints. A very classy outfit. And their actual LPs are extremely nice as well. I just wish shipping to my continent was less expensive.

I was dragged to a Killers show earlier this year. In every way it was exactly what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not gonna lie, the hologram is kinda cool. The vuvuzela much less so.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got my preordered John Maus reissues today and it turns out they're the same coloured vinyl as they were in the super limited 350-bucks-on-discogs box set, that was a nice surprise. And the discogs price is plummeting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wanted to buy some of those albums and then I saw what people were selling them for and I was like "Ha, NOPE!".
I regretted few things as much as not pulling the plug on a box set preorder back when, but I didn't have a record player then. Caveat: discogs tells me the coloured ones are the European editions, the US gets black, but who cares, they're out and the time is now. Wish they'd also do the collection of rarities.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John Maus is loving amazing but I'm very glad my girlfriend never pays attention to lyrics cause explaining why there's a solid three minutes' repetition of the line OH MY, GRANDMA'S PEED HER PANTS AGAIN would have been a tough nut to crack even with preparation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chromatics records are always worth it but I can't help but notice that out of all my LPs they build up the greatest static charge during play by a wide margin. Something about that clear vinyl I guess.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Ariel Pink stuff is under A and my Kim Wilde record is under W. I guess I never thought about it and put them where it felt right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean you'd think this was an easy choice but then stuff like Ariel Pink / Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti comes along, or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and you're there like whaaaa

Part of the reason I got a turntable was because I spent untold hours agonizing over how to organize my MP3s and I just wanted to grab poo poo from a shelf and play music again. I do still agonize over my MP3s though.

(release date within artist is definitely the way to go though, for either)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First time I went to the stores and actually found something I was actively looking for (Mature Themes), and a few neat bonuses:

Wasn't too sure about the Comsat Angels but it was only €5, and the guy gave me a discount that covered that and then some. It's alright!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Schnitzel over in the UK just put up the pre-orders for Ween's Live in Toronto with the poo poo Creek Boys on green vinyl, comes with a Cowboy Boognish patch.
This is a sentence straight from an early 90s cyberpunk novel, all like casually revealing how wacky the pop culture of the far future of 2018 will be, and any editor would have thrown it out as too outlandish.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't usually do this, but I'm feeling a bit pleased with myself.

maybe if I do it I should do it with a better camera

Only €50 for the lot. It was a Stranglers kind of day, but mostly I'm chuffed I found Listen to the Silence in the wild. Really great late 70s new wave album, I've been listening to it on Spotify for weeks, and there they had two copies of it that they were practically giving away.

Bonus: only went to the record store cause I had time to kill after a job interview, and scored the job as well :toot:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mystery Steve posted:

Did the black and white album come with the bonus 7inch? Mean to me is a great track.
Didn't even know there was one. Presumably that's why it was cheap.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hotline Miami stuff usually goes under the synthwave or retrowave moniker. For a good time call Carpenter Brut or Kavinsky.

e: I'd probably legit buy the Top Gear 2 soundtrack on vinyl. They could do a 7''

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yes, definitely the Drive soundtrack, can't believe I didn't mention that. Particularly Desire and Chromatics. They're not as high energy as the usual synthwave stuff like Carpenter Brut, but they definitely hit that 80s spot (I dare say more authentically). They're also both Johnny Jewel projects, and Johnny's label Italians Do It Better puts out really high quality vinyl releases.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've passed a few Carpenter soundtracks over during my last few shopping trips. So that was a mistake, huh?

strap on revenge posted:

kill for love and cherry by chromatics are two of my best sounding records and the packaging is v good
Seriously. I had to have mine shipped overseas which roughly doubled the price, still great value for money.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm developing shopping instincts. Found a 12" of Being Boiled today at a price that even without checking discogs seemed far too good to be true, and sure enough it was pretty scratched up. Could have put that on my shelf, and not much else.

Couldn't even have framed it because someone had roughly cut off the rightmost half an inch of the outer sleeve. Actually that was probably what tipped me off in the first place, come to think of it

e: don't get me wrong either, I've heard about cut-outs, this went far above and beyond the call of duty for that.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 22, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goddamn, Spinal Tap really was just a documentary, huh

e: oh great, my first warped record in this haul :toot: Really obviously too. The one I didn't check, of course. Good thing it's just Stevie Nicks' Wild Hearts which I see bloody everywhere. On the other hand: not great to pick as a spontaneous birthday gift. :(

This copy of Swordfishtrombones is pretty crackly too. I know, dangers of buying used, but the thing is, I've bought from a lot of stores these past few months, this is the only one where stuff wasn't immaculate. Maybe I just got lucky with the others but...

e2: regarding an exchange I just thought, well, you never get a receipt anyway but surely they'll recognize their own merchandise, shortly before realizing it's also the only store that a) puts the price stickers on the poly sleeves and b) keeps the poly sleeves. Kinda don't like where this is going.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 22, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had a copy of Heaven 17's Penthouse and Pavement in my latest haul (and it wasn't even broken in half or actively on fire or anything), had it on in the background, and it was actually a real treat to stumble into its gimmick blind. This is without exaggeration the kind of thing I got into records for.

Spoiler tags in the vinyl thread? Why not! It has a locked groove that loops the line "for a very long time" and it took me a good five minutes to catch on. "Man, they're really driving the point home. Man, they managed to fit a really long song onto a record. Wait a second, it goes one revolution per repeat OH YOU SNEAKY FUCKS" I just love how seamless it is, and how you have to work that sort of thing right into the songwriting and recording process.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I reckon eBay and discogs are about where you'd check for it as a record. As a piece of Fringe memorabilia, Fringe fan forums, subreddits and collector's circles might be worth a shot, although at most I'd expect to see a post by someone else saying "holy poo poo I managed to get one".

Or you get super lucky visiting the right record store. I have this. It's probably one of my most obscure records; I'd been listening to it on youtube for months and pretty much from the start resigned myself to that and some blogspot download being as close as I'd ever get. Then they announced a rerelease and I jumped right at that (it's a very nice quality release too). My point being, the other day I was in a shop and out of the blue came across one of the inofficial rereleases there had been over the years, and believe you me if I hadn't heard about the official rerelease I would have flipped my entire poo poo on the spot.

Feels weird to look at a record you know is fairly rare and obscure and be able to say pfft yeah right, been there, done that.

e: only 250 copies as well. Gotta say, it was very reasonably priced for that. But I guess that goes to show, limited to 10 or 50 or 250, you can just happen to see this stuff in the wild if you go to enough shops.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

I do not care to disclose how much I spent on the Mountain Goats' Satanic Messiah EP.
I don't expect to ever see a copy of Basking Sharks' Shark Island, but if I do, things are gonna come to a point very fast and no one involved will come out with their dignity intact.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chili Peppers Schmili Peppers, Frusciante's solo stuff is where it's at.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay I quite seriously enjoy that to the point where I want to start a music project doing these, like, from scratch.

e: if you haven't tried Jessie's Girl yet, get off your rear end

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a table with USB out and I'm very happy with the sound quality of my recordings. I'm also very happy with occasional youtube rips so maybe keep that in mind but my vinyl rips sound perfectly fine. I could do it the other way, I've got a proper audio interface hooked up and everything, but eh it's all in different rooms and :effort:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

Are there any brushes that are particularly good, or to be avoided? Done a bit of research and I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions with some people complaining about scratches.
The Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. Avoiding scratches is just a question of making sure your cat is comfortable and calm throughout.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I just got into Vinyl over Christmas and we have had 0 regrets with the AT-LP120 and edifier R1280T speakers. Both from Amazon for I think....$350 or so total?
Did a bunch of research before settling on the 120. Happily use this setup drat near every night
That's my setup too and it works great. Those speakers pack a punch, too. Hooked up my TV to them as well, they braved the double test of Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049 with flying colours, these are not quiet movies.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 30, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm compelled to have all my music in the same format somewhere, and that's gotta be files by default, so I always appreciate a download card. But if there isn't one I can easily make a recording. What I hate are the major label download platforms that require registration.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Youtube retro tech expert Techmoan has recently put up a four-part series on how to build a budget hi-fi system, and he used a Pioneer PL-200X, although it's worth watching the series for context. That one does need an amp; personally I'm a big fan of the "onboard preamp into Edifiers" method for simplicity but, y'know.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I walked into a record store today vaguely hoping to maybe find The Sound's Jeopardy, and while I was browsing the owner put it on. Basically bought it straight off his turntable. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ooooooh, that's a really good one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alTn6j0D8pI

Dyeing wood glue blue and selling it at a huge markup sounds like such a simple idea that everyone would be doing it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not such a big deal, there's a few letters that never get used.

*buys Goodbye Horses* fuuuuu-

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wish we still did CD swaps. They were one of my favourite things to do on the forum and I found a ton of great music through them, but the GBS revolution killed them stone dead and now when you bring it up people are just like "uuuh we just send people Spotify playlists where I come from, in the present day".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just went to a local record store and asked if they had spare dividers. They sold me as many as I wanted for like $2 each.
I mean, sure, but if they were $50 for 26 on amazon instead of $75 we'd still be here saying that's a bit steep.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The constant waterflow isolates your wires from stray atmospheric ions.

And once they've accepted that as canon, you swoop in with your product line of audiophile-grade fixtures and plumbing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ballz posted:

Go and get that baby sex.
reported for backseat moderating

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

SSQ
Their whole album is pretty good, nevermind any petty squabbles about whether Anonymous or Tonight is the better song (Jet Town ain't nothing to scoff at either, not to mention the opener).

On the video game music thing: I'd pay very good money for a Best of Tim Follin LP rearranged and played by a proper prog band. Or, hell, just rearranged for synths.

Actually I could get some MIDI files and do that myself...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man, I've got to start watching my vinyl spending. I'm starting to let myself get suckered into some less-than-reasonable deals. Like buying a second hand record for as much as its reissue would have cost new. :/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha one of the first things I bought was a €5 copy of Rumours and now every time I see one it's (sometimes considerably) more expensive and I think "heh, one born every minute." Although considering the guy who sold me the record this is all about had Rumours in the €12 bin, I maybe shouldn't gloat.

I'll never buy Pink Floyd. Both my and my girlfriend's parents have a bunch of Pink Floyd on the shelf and we'll get at it eventually. Just hope vinyl's still hot poo poo then so we can sell the doubles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

i thought it was a catalog of records/covers he designed, but maybe it's just an art exhibit, cos i can't find any of them online. some of them are pretty good
somewhere, Jack White pauses mid-sentence, feeling vaguely uneasy without any clue why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Elrobot posted:

went to a record swap and got some yves tumor, depeche mode, villalobos, zacht automaat, poser disposer and emptyset
Not to knock your record swap deals but I wanna take the opportunity to go off on a tangent on what a ripoff Depeche Mode reissues are, like I keep seeing these box sets around that are repros of the 12″ singles, six to a box, each box corresponding to one album

and they're something like €90 per box when half the singles are just remixes

like sure I get the allure of fresh new 12″ singles and DM are, to me, a singles band, but loving hell someone at Sony realized DM fans will pay any price and is making bank.