Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Looked up replacement stylus assemblies for that Shure and... they're pretty expensive. Sell that cart as is I'm sure someone'll want it. (Jesus christ the prices people are asking for just the body on Ebay though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not as annoying as albums that have side A and side C on one record and side B and side D on the other.

I don't even know in what situation that would be beneficial.

A DJ could play them in sequence without pauses in a weird world where DJs played entire albums.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started organizing my record shelves and right away I hit a snag; is it

The 13th Floor Elevators
69-Hard
101 Strings

or

101 Strings
The 13th Floor Elevators
69-Hard

:negative:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah that's what I went with.

bigman.50grand posted:

It's this. Also organize by First Name Last Name :c00lbutt:

Uh-whaaaah??!?!?

No. Except when I know it's not their real name. Like Eleanoora Rosenholm is the name of the band, not the singer, because there's no one called Eleanoora Rosenholm in the band, so it goes under E :evilbuddy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I went to a record store that alphabetized by first name and it was awful.

Still better than what most stores do, i.e. organized by "genre" and then name. How the gently caress am I supposed to know what the store idiots consider any particular record to be?! :rant: Even worse if they also separate domestic vs. international for some loving reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't even bother trying to alphabetize all the Μелодия records I have that only have cyrillic names/titles on them. That hell will keep for another evening.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boinks posted:

Sort everything by label and catalog number :c00lbutt:

A surprising amount* of stuff doesn't have either.

*) Like, more than half a dozen.

e: Actually, I've never checked the records themselves for numbers so maybe there is one. I'm talking about white-label releases. Some of which have black labels to confuse me!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I could ever bring myself to care enough to find out when any given record was released. (I mean I care about the music obviously, and finding a record I want to listen to, just not when who did what.)

I know a lot of guys do care but it always sounds odd to me when people talk about "[band name]'s 1977 album [album name] was blah blah blah" like if I need to know their loving history I'll hit up BingTM; they're all dead to me anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I remember all that poo poo easily because I'm on the spectrum. And judging from my interactions with various record dealers and other collectors over the years I think a great deal of people involved in this hobby also are.

Yeah I'm not a record collector I just like to listen to music and unfortunately the invisible hand of the marketplace has as of yet to come up with a handier way than records to do that.

jeeves posted:

Who here uses plastic sleeves on the outside of their records?

I swear, I don't get it. It's like, unsleeve that. Then unsleeve from cardboard. Then unsleeve from inner sleeve. Then play. Dang mang.

I know records cost a lot but I don't feel the need to like hermetically seal them.

Twice have I had someone drop mayonnaise in my record crate so :shrug: (Also you align the cardboard sleeve and the outer sleeve openings.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

This completely defeats the purpose if you're using the sleeves to keep dust out of the records.

I don't know about that but my records don't seem to be very dusty. The inner sleeve opening - and thus the disc itself - is still not exposed. The cover and outer sleeve opening is facing the back of the shelves most of the time. Then again, the cabinet roll front is also closed most of the time so not much dust gets in. But, like I said, the sleeve does a nice job keeping the mayonnaise and/or cider off the covers while the records are out and about.

That being said, I guess it wouldn't really matter if the covers are mucky or not but I prefer them not to be.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I put LEDs on my Kallax because I’m irresponsible with money. No regrets.

I'm the... hospital floor looking floor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

bought some records

they're all very good

Kytänsoittajat is a pretty sweet band name.

"Små lätta moln" is one of my all-time favourite tracks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't you just have the computer do the RIAA correction? I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't plugins or programs for that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah don't get a spin clean as it makes absolutely no sense. (I bought a knock-off and haven't used it in years.) Just wash your records in the sink with luke-warm water, un-scented washing-up liquid, and a non-abrasive sponge, like people did for decades. Here's why:

1) No it will not leave any sort of residue because you obviously rinse the records before leaving to dry.
2) No it will not damage the label in any way.
3) It is considerably more gentle than a knock-off spin-cleaner with a brush and just as gentle as a genuine one with sponges.
4) It's be considerably cheaper than any spin-cleaner.
5) It's quicker.

and, most importantly:

6) It has already been done to your pre-2000s second-hand record, possibly more than once.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 10, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Are you touching the playing surface with your hands or laying them in the sink, how do you do this?

Wear washing-up gloves if your fingers are too short to handle records without touching the playing surface. Otherwise you just... wash them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6gQ6nurR8

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I know that's probably okay but looking at it still makes me cringe.

People who collected records in the 70s and 80s did this all the time and I've never heard any of them complain it damaged their precious Tasavallan Presidentti albums. As long as you make sure none of the implements are abrasive or leave behind fluff or fibres, you're alright. (I've been subjected to American toilet paper and I would not use that on my records. Then again I would not use it on my bum ever again, either. Judging by the fact that it was on a cruise ship, it wasn't even the cheapest stuff.)

One thing to remember is that LPs are not fragile.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Framboise posted:

I don't speak Finnish but I can tell he's talking about the paper of the label at some point. Why is it that this is safe for the label? It seems like soap and water is a great way to ruin paper and adhesive.

You need to dry it off so it doesn't stay wet because it's still paper. That being said, I've never had a label bubble or disintegrate or anything despite having taken my time.

Although a bit of BingTMing does lead to a lot of warnings about the labels coming off in the sink and the ink running... but absolutely no visual proof of that ever having happened so :shrug: If anyone has managed to ruin their record label with water and/or soap, I'd like to see it.

e: Personally I think it's just baseless lies because most stuff on record/audio enthusiast websites is. Keep in mind these are the same people who think Mexicans can't make audio cartridges, analogue jitter exists, and hot-gluing a bent staple on your 69€ 15€ cartridge will make it sound better. So I'll keep washing my records in the sink until it all goes horribly wrong :mrgw:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Some labels are immediately damaged if you get them wet. I’ve had that happen plenty of times. I only wash thrift store crap in the sink so it’s never bothered me but it completely depends on the label.

Anything to narrow it down?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I just read a review of it and I would avoid it. It seems like the selling point is "it has a pre-amp" and "it's less of a piece of poo poo than they usually make".

Crosley makes nothing. It's all straight from Alibaba. Surprising that they'd offer something a bit better since it only leaves them with a 70% mark-up instead of the usual 90%.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

[COMPUTER, ENHANCE!]

e: courtesy of poo poo FLEA MARKET FINDS, the blog

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 4, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like music that sounds good. I would even go as far as to say that is the only criterion for whether or not I like a music.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I also like music that sounds bad.

I don't like your bad-sounding music. Thanks for reading :tipshat:

e: I'm sure someone else might think music that sounds good to me sounds bad. Like, for instance, I've heard that some people do not consider "I love Reshiram" one of the best tracks ever made. They are, of course, wrong.

ee: Seriouspost, obvs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Please post a good song. I need more good songs.

A classic: :nws: https://youtu.be/6LHe9m9VtXI?list=PLCE530BC9C8383F03 :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hexwren posted:

Okay, so here's a question I probably should have asked years ago but didn't think to: why are so many high quality turntables belt drive?

Literally none of them are. They're easy and cheap* to make and have the support of the crazies (which includes the entire audio press) so you can sell them for insane mark-ups.

*) The drive assembly, that is. Of course you need to use all sorts of exotic or at least exotic-sounding materials and stupid complex mechanisms for the rest of the player to make it seem high-quality.