Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My father recently gave me his old hifi, TT, amps, speakers, the lot. I had to recap everything to get it behaving and replace the output cables on the turntable but it's all working and accounted for now

It's a Denon DP-57L along with a Luxman C-02 and M-02 pre and amp, and Acoustic Research AR91 speakers. So far I'm making my way through my extensive inherited Elton John collection and let me tell you, I'm having a great time.

I've already got my discogs set up and an extensive wishlist going so, guess I'm all in on another analogue hobby.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

pwn posted:

That is one helluva platter :eyepop:

I don't actually know what that spaceship-looking part is called. I was gonna say plinth but the plinth is the base part. Anyway it looks cool as hell and welcome to the worst and most expensive hobby that will drain the money from your wallet

Can't be any worse than film photography. It's a unique table and heavy as hell, and as we all know the heavier a thing is the better it is.

BigFactory posted:

Can I have your luxman gear?

Your dad spent some money on his hi-fi in 1979

And I've got the receipts to prove that he was bad with money

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

those luxmans (luxmen?) look absolutely stunning, holy poo poo. I wish I could even find them in Brisbane let alone have them gifted to me

Hey Brisbane buddy

Turbinosamente posted:

Nah play that ELO record instead. You know the one.

I've got some ELO in the record collection he gave me, not up to there yet. I've been making my way through his and my mother's albums and going "oh poo poo, I remember this song" a bunch. It's neat, a bunch of my mother's stuff has her name written on the sleeve, with her maiden name, from when she was living in share housing.

It's been an extremely cool way to connect with my parents.

I've also got a technical question, I've got 2 arms for the turntable, a straight and a heavier S. I'm trying to decide which to use, and as far as I can ascertain the S would have been used for low compliance carts that need a heavier tracking force while the straight is for more modern high compliance low tracking force carts, is that correct? Would I see any benefits from using one or the other? It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on any forum I find this question on.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 7, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

I have a stack of old records that I either have duplicates of, that I don't like anymore, or whose condition is questionable if you want some freebies to help get you started?

That'd be extremely kind of you and I'll absolutely take you up on that. I'm currently in isolation but I'll shoot you a PM and we can work something out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That platter was made for Hawkwind's Space Ritual.

Masters of the Universe will have to do. Or some Jefferson Starship.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It begins

I've also got a couple of online orders on the way but am trying to limit myself to albums I know I love front to back and will get regular listens.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thank you to extremely good dude Strap on Revenge for the gift of a bunch of great records

Gotta get a console now to set everything up on instead of the floor of the study.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It was RSD today in Australia and I got in and got the Viktor Vaughn repress.

Well, technically. The stock didn't arrive in time but they let everyone buy their copy as they knew how many were coming, so I'll get it Monday, just stoked I got it at all tbh.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Noob question here, my brand new records are extremely static, they crackle when I take them off the platter. I've got an old white zerostat that I use while holding the record and it helps a bit but not enough. How do I deal with this? The side unplayed always comes up with a tonne of dust and cat hair. My old records don't have this issue. Would switching to a cork from a rubber mat help?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

in addition to what CPL said, it's worth getting anti-static inner sleeves. you can get them at pretty much all record stores in Brisbane. where did you go for RSD shopping?

Ty, just rocking horse as I could walk in. I got anti static sleeves last week and have a carbon fibre anti static brush, the one made by boundless.

I'll try cleaning today with some surfactant and hopefully that'll be the end of it and then buy a spin clean or similar if that works a treat.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Cleaned all my new vinyl in the sink using deionised water and photo-flo and my static issue is eliminated, thanks everyone.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been looking about trying to find the perfect slip mat for the Denon UFO. Recommendations would be welcome. I'm thinking cork would be the most fitting.
I also got a new dust cover fabricated for it cause the old one was smoky grey and scratched to poo poo.

It is currently still living on the floor under my work bench, most likely until after our holiday in August.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 22, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, it looks fine, but it could look better. Maybe I should try to recondition it to make it black again instead of powdery...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

sporklift posted:

Where did you get the cover fabricated and how much did that cost? My backup table needs one and used beat to poo poo ones are usually $60-80

Etsy has your record mat needs covered. I use a rubber one for the living room but need felt ones on my dj decks so I can queue stuff up... and sometimes drunkenly try to scratch. Basically the "slip" in slipmat is the felt slipping over the platter. With felt mats you are able to hold the record still or manipulate it while the platter spins away underneath. Not possible with rubber, cork, or acrylic.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=slipmat

Ty, I got it done by a local acrylic fabrication called custom plastics. I gave them the dimensions and they did all the drawings and cutting, $200 AUD. I'm sure if I shopped around enough or did the drawings myself that would have been less. Buying a custom one off eBay for that deck would have been $300 minimum

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm a fan of Let's Dance, fun album to throw on and dance around the house to, and sometimes that's all an album needs to be

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Or as we call record shops, Gizz Galleries.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm not up to the thrifting part of vinyl yet but have been building up my library by trading in a bunch of stuff that I got off my Dad that hasn't been for me. This has been over the past few months.

I've had Excellent Italian Greyhound on a lot of late, forgot just how good that album was.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 21, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is this an ebay pick? I've been watching the MF Doom site hoping this comes back in stock but it never does

No, I got it at theast record store day drop. You can still get it brand new on eBay and Discogs for retail price.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm going to need some spacers now I finally have a record cabinet. From my understanding the biggest killer of the M-02 was being put under the C-02

Got the record cabinet a couple days ago off FB marketplace after months of searching. I'll certainly need something bigger in the future but at least it's all not sitting on the floor like it was.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 4, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New pick-ups this week, including a fitting record for the UFO

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 7, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

petit choux posted:

I have the Jeff Wayne album and the ulladubula remix, both on CD. Still love the first tune so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4UdN3NhJVI

It's so good, got to introduce it to my wife last night. Was a great time.

Game-Blouses posted:

Love that Denzel Curry album. If you didn’t know, he just re-released it with a live a band!

Yeah I saw that recently and really enjoyed it. His tiny desk was great and it got that feeling really well. Now I just wish Freddie Gibbs would do Bandana like he did his tiny desk cause that poo poo ruled.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought this today having no idea what it was other than wanting to add to my Jethro Tull collection, only googled it when I got home and found out it's a live, bootleg not something I was familiar with before.

It's actually really good! I want to find out more information about my particular pressing but apparently that only exists in the Hot Wacks book.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yeah, glad you found it. It's such a good album.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Latest mail is a bootleg

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Denon DP-57L is the best of both worlds. There's no auto return or auto start so you need to position the arm manually but the play button auto lowers the arm and it'll auto raise the arm when a side is done so if you accidentally have too many edibles and you can't stand up any longer at least you won't be grinding down your stylus into a fine dust.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

After a month and a half in the mail it finally arrived

Billy Woods - Aethiopes. A very strong contender for my album of the year.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Couple of codes, autechre LP5 and OK Computer

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

CatBlack posted:

does ur LP5 skip on side C? mine does and it makes me so sad

Thankfully it does not, or I do not know it well enough to know if it does.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been on an IDM/abstract binge lately, here's a few standouts:

Lily of the Valley - Compilation
Einóma - Milli Tónverka
Delarosa & Asora - Backsome EP
Opiate - Possible

Vita - Ena
Daze Maxim - Drf
Opiate - Sometimes
Diamond Version - EP5

I couldn't find Opiate - Possible online so I recorded it for YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkT0273IaVM

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mail day! Luigi Tozzi Deep Blue Volume 2 and 3, really excellent deep progressive techno

And a download for Mohlao - Cut which is also excellent

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got myself the Steve Albini remaster. Such a good album.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

More havedcore, had TMOC introduced to me last month and was told their big influences were Big Black and Joy Division and yep, you can hear it.

There was a 30th anniversary edition released in 2019 and the label still has some in stock so that's what this is. No where on the website is it mentioned that the vinyl is green so that was a nice surprise.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mail day!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went to the local today to pick through and discover some Jazz, good day.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 22, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Spent the last 10 days in Japan and had to do a bit of digging while here.

All of their second hand records are so well kept, amazing stores too.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought some stuff recently I've been thoroughly enjoying.

A Weedeater album and merch

Also Mercurial World by Magdalena Bay, softscars by Yeule and the single Barz Simpson by Jay Electronica and MF DOOM

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If I didn’t have my cleaning stuff I’d use a soft, washed, microfibre cloth. Brushing gently around the record following the grooves.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That Louis Cole album is so good

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The local record shop had The Hammer Party and that's hard to get in Australia so I had to go get it and picked up Pig Pile at the same time. Next I need Racer-X and Atomizer and I'll be happy with my Big Black collection, but both of those are still pressed and won't be going anywhere soon so no rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah sure did, I put it on pre-order. Super pumped