Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

It's too late, now you're a laserdisc collector too.

Could be worse, I got saddled with a former clients RCA Selectavision CED collection.

I kind of want a CED player after watching a really cool youtube video about them.

I bought somebody's entire laserdisc collection last year for ~$250, came with two players (although only one functioned). I have begun collecting them. I don't know why - the quality is about that of a DVD on a good day, they're stereo only, and they take up a lot of room. Oh, and some of them rot. But they're cool. I made sure to get all of the original Star Wars, the Star Trek collectors box set, and some other classics like Alien, Aliens, T2, Robocop (all the collectors box sets), plus I recently grabbed Blade Runner and Demolition Man. They're all super cheap, but I don't see the value rising like vinyl did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My turntable is a Technics SL-BD22 that I got from my dad after he passed away. He bought it new in 1991 - I still have the receipt. It serves its purpose, but uses a P-mount cartridge that limits me on what I can upgrade it with.

I have always wanted a nice vintage turntable but they're expensive and I haven't exactly needed one. I have always kind of wanted a backup turntable though, in case this breaks or something.

I have been at my company for ten years, and I got to pick an item out of a catalog as my reward (yaaay). There was everything from placemats to tools, and I waffled a bit but ultimately bought the one turntable they had - an Insignia NS-BTST21. It has an adjustable counterbalance and a moving magnet type cartridge. I don't think I would use the bluetooth capability (doesn't it defeat the purpose of vinyl?). I will probably put this one in my bedroom with some small speakers or something.

Is it an upgrade or a downgrade compared to my Technics turntable?

joylessdivision posted:

Hell yeah Emperor! Waiting on my copy of In the Nightside Eclipse to arrive still

I got In The Nightside Eclipse for Christmas (heh). The mastering was weird - I had to really turn it up compared to other albums, and it still sounded relatively flat, which honestly may be the source material - but it's still awesome. I'm curious how yours sounds.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 10, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

downgrade. if you want a new one the Technics clones that AT makes (the LP120 etc) are good turntables.

What about it makes it a downgrade?

Genuinely curious. It was free to me (other than the opportunity cost of passing on other stuff I didn't really want) and it's already coming, just want to know what to look for when I do end up replacing my main turntable. If I go modern I'll probably get a Fluance or a Rega but if I'm spending that kind of money I think I'd rather get a vintage Pioneer or something similar.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

I wouldn't immediately say it's a downgrade, but if your old one doesn't have any age-related issues, it's likely made with higher quality components overall. Here's the biggest differences:

Yeah my Technics seems to work just fine. When I got it I immediately replaced the cartridge (which had never been replaced in 28 years) with a cheap Audio-Technica P-mount cartridge but my understanding has always been that that's really the limiting factor for this turntable so I've always wanted one with a more traditional mount.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are some pretty nice p-mount options too, i think the Grado Prestiges come with a P-Mount option if your store can order one

https://gradolabs.com/cartridges/prestige-series-2/item/76-black2-green2

But if this is the case, I might be in luck. I will need to investigate further.

The Insignia turntable came in today. Looks decent for a secondary turntable at the very least. Now to find a home for it, and maybe some bookshelf speakers.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 11, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Yeah my Technics seems to work just fine. When I got it I immediately replaced the cartridge (which had never been replaced in 28 years) with a cheap Audio-Technica P-mount cartridge but my understanding has always been that that's really the limiting factor for this turntable so I've always wanted one with a more traditional mount.

But if this is the case, I might be in luck. I will need to investigate further.

The Insignia turntable came in today. Looks decent for a secondary turntable at the very least. Now to find a home for it, and maybe some bookshelf speakers.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I don't know poo poo about poo poo and am trying to learn.

I set up my new turntable yesterday. Got some nice Edifier bookshelf speakers and honestly everything sounds great.

Part of setting up the turntable was attaching and then adjusting the counterbalance. This is something I have never done, as my Technics has a static tonearm. There are no adjustments to the counterbalance.

Do all of the P-mount cartridges have the same tracking force? Or, if I upgrade, do I need to find a cartridge that has the same tracking force as the one my turntable came with from the factory?

Long-term I'm trying to determine if I'm better off buying a nicer cartridge for the turntable I have, or saving up a bit more for a better turntable that would give me more options.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 17, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wa27 posted:

As far as I know, p-mount was supposed to remove all the guesswork of balancing a tonearm, so everything is balanced from the factory to the correct spec. If a cartridge is designed to use a higher/ lower tracking force, they just manufacture the cartridge to be heavier or lighter. So it should just be plug and play.

Awesome, that's what I was thinking and hoping for.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I bought a thing for myself. I didn't get a crazy good deal but I paid less than the median on Discogs so I'm happy enough. Sounds amazing. It's probably my favorite album of all time.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hexwren posted:

I've been considering that box

but probably my vinyl white whale is the hut records 3LP pressing with the alternate running order - i really hope that version is the original intended track listing (and not some weird "we're changing things without consulting the band, we're a record label on a different continent, whee" thing), because it really does make a lot more sense than the standard 2CD version that became the version that the rereleases used

so I've hemmed and hawed about it

I probably would have bought the box straight out when it came out if I wasn't vastly underemployed at the time, but that's the nature of the hobby

I actually did some research into that (and even have a Spotify playlist of the album, with the two extra tracks, in that running order). Apparently the CD track order is the 'right' order. They rearranged the songs to fit on three albums nicely, is all. The newer box set is four LPs and has been remastered and according to reviews I've read, sounds way better than the original LPs and CDs.

I just finished listening to it and it indeed sounds amazing. I didn't compare it to anything but by itself, it's definitely a great sounding pressing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

petit choux posted:

What is it?

The box set remaster of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Turbinosamente posted:

for all I know the old Star Wars trilogy VHS set could be worth something solely because it was before Lucas went back and reedited the films.

I have these as well as the laserdisc releases and while they're not trash they're not super valuable either.

yet...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I paid $220 for the Mellon Collie box set. Not a great deal, not a terrible deal. That is by far my most expensive purchase. Everything else has been sub $100.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So for the last couple of years I've been using an Audio-Technica AT85EP cartridge. I bought it as a replacement to the 20-year-old cartridge in my dad's turntable when I inherited it. I'm limited to P-mounts with this turntable.

I've noticed crackling on brand-new records and figured it's probably time to replace the cartridge/stylus, so I ordered a Grado Black. People throw a lot of names out there like Shure and Ortofone, but I'm on a budget.

Does anybody have any experience with Grado? How does it compare? The specs seem way better than the one I have right now (especially on the high-end... 20,000 hz vs 55,000 hz is something that should be noticeable I would think...)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

That grado black you linked to isn’t P mount. But Grado makes good stuff.

The picture isn't, but under 'mount type' P-mount is an option and that's the one I ordered.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Thanks, I'm a lot broker now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm still concerned about the legitimacy of this guy... or at least I don't understand their business model. It says they've sold 538 of that Bowie box set. Is that a normal quantity to move?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This came today. I ordered it Thursday afternoon. I mainly got it for Outside and Earthling (I'm not that familiar with the other stuff) but holy poo poo this is heavy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

pwn posted:

Yeah on one hand I'm a bit jelly but on the other I already have too much poo poo. How much did y'all pay for that one anyway?

It was like $73 with free shipping. List price is $400, it's on Amazon for $275 i think.

I got it mainly for Outside and Earthling but that BBC radio recording sounds amazing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bagina posted:

Did my taxes recently and added up all I spent on records this year since I can deduct it as research media.

Um… I may have a problem…

I can't deduct mine. I may have a bigger problem. My only saving grace is that I make a lot of money to counter my spending lol

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have 473 records and 614 CDs. I love the spread that Discogs puts on my collection - minimum value $6,644.51, median $12,601.06 and max $30,088.53. I think it's mostly due to the vintage stuff I inherited from my folks, many of which go from $5 to $500.

stuff like this, which I imagine is ranging from "just the sleeve, and also it's bent and covered in crayon" to "new, still sealed, literally never seen the light of day, delivered by the band themselves"

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 18, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

You can add policies to your homeowners

Be sure to give them the 'max' value :cool:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Passed on RSD but bought this equalizer for forty bucks to add to my system. It matches my turntable which is an early nineties Technics. I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I bought a Grado Green cartridge for my turntable and it sounds great. It's unshielded though and I think I'm having a problem with static buildup. I'm getting a loud pop about every fifteen seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VaJ5q-pvU

It happens consistently on different records, and goes away if I put my old cartridge back in. I haven't experimented with different sleeves though, to see if records stored in antistatic sleeves are better.

Has anybody ever used a Milty Zerostat gun? It looks like a toy and sounds like snake oil but people seem to swear by it.

This is such a ridiculous hobby.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bigman.50grand posted:

Zerostats are legit, but I don't know how effective they would be for your problem. Out of curiosity, are both channels popping or is it only one side?

It's both channels, and it goes away if I swap out the cartridge. I'm not sure what else it could be.

The turntable has a good ground into the amp so I don't think that's it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bigman.50grand posted:

Double check the green and black wires coming off of the Grado to make sure they are properly secured to the connection in the tonearm. If they are, then you'll either need to do some crazy grounding mod to your turntable or return the Grado for something with better shielding. Maybe it's a bad cartridge?

I'm guessing the cartridge itself is building static charge during playback after watching your video. Not the vinyl. The intermittent pop you're hearing is essentially doing the same thing a Zerostat does, releasing static build up. I don't think a Zerostat will help since the issue is with the cartridge and not the vinyl.

This is a T4P P-mount, so there aren't any wires. It's a four pin socket.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

That pop is way too loud. I had a Grado black for the longest time that worked fine, no popping. I would definitely check if you could get a replacement cartridge because that’s not normal.

I think it's louder in the video than in real life, but it's loud enough to be really noticeable. It sounds like it's hitting a large piece of hair or something on the record.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So that Grado cartridge I got, I've been having problems with it, namely a popping sound. I posted about it a little earlier. I emailed Grado, didn't hear anything, experimented with a zerostat gun (which made it way worse), emailed them again... turned out their emails to me were bouncing back. I ended up getting called by Rich Grado and he thinks it's internal to the cartridge.

Just kind of cool that Rich Grado himself called me. I'm going to be sending this one back and getting a replacement sent out. Hopefully it helps. I like the sound but not the POP......POP.......POP......

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So Blood Ceremony released a new album for the first time in seven years, and I jumped on it and bought the limited-to-100 clear 'die hard' edition. It was pretty reasonably priced. I saw one listed for sale on Discogs for $300... and it sold immediately. How many of these are people that have multiple accounts and sell stuff to themselves to boost value?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Picked these up from a local record show yesterday. None of them were screaming good deals or anything but I'm pretty happy with what I picked up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dorium posted:

JESUS, $66 american DOLLARS?!

what.

You can pay in four interest-free installments of $16.50 if you use ShopPay!

just :lol: at the idea of financing $66 though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CPL593H posted:

Complete Sifl and Olly songs when?

A fellow man of culture, I see

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I mainly use Discogs to document what I have and what I want. I'll be sad if it goes away, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

joylessdivision posted:

That's pretty much all I've used it for since I started buying records, keeping track of what I have so I don't get lost on eBay while high and thinking "Oh man I want that album" and already having a copy.

I mean, I also use it to look at my collection and pat myself on the back for having a 'high' value of $35k, knowing full well that is bullshit and I'm at maybe a quarter of that on a good day :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the metal thread, but my Vorga album finally came and it sounds amazing. It looks fantastic too - the gatefold is foil and the vinyl is blue splatter. I ordered it last August. Delays at the pressing plant and having to go through the label in India meant... getting it today.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have several that I've purchased and just put on my shelf... usually stuff that I'm familiar with, I saw it for a reasonable price and grabbed it but haven't felt the desire to throw on. Nothing wrong with it - listen to what you want to listen to, don't force yourself to listen to something just to get it over with.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My haul from the local record show yesterday. The Danzig is an 'unofficial copy' (ie bootleg) and I'm fine with it because it was $40 and the cheapest legit copy on discogs is $350. Sounds alright though you can kind of tell it was made from a digital source. Kind of makes me wonder how 'unofficial' copies like this are even made. CDs and tapes it's easy to make a copy, but vinyl?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

I dig that Kyuss album a lot more than it gets credit for.

Catmaran is so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkeorF6Fiw

I already have Blues for the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley... it would be hard to pick a favorite so I'm just happy to have all of them.

I'm not too familiar with their first album.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not albums but I bought some vintage record store flats to put together this ode to my favorite Bowie era

Also my favorite Bowie era, especially Outside. So underrated.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

Rob Zombie peaked with this album, so fucken good

Astrocreep will always have a special place in my heart. I rented that from the library when it came out and it still blows my mind to this day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had a pretty good haul from the local record show yesterday.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
On Saturday I picked up a new-to-me equalizer to replace my old 5-band Realistic unit. The Realistic sounded good but had a really annoying hum that I couldn't get rid of. This unit sounds so much better and is dead quiet. At $160 it wasn't a steal but I don't feel ripped off, either. I bought it from a shop in Indy with a return policy, but everything on it seems to work flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nihonniboku posted:

I wonder if that is something that a repair shop could have fixed? I think the way electronics are built these days, it's often more expensive to pay for a repair than to just buy a replacement, but that Pioneer looks just like the one my dad had when I was a kid.

That Pioneer is my receiver/amp and she works perfectly :) The hummy Realistic isn't shown. I think i paid $20 for it. I cracked it open before and cleaned it with no improvement but now i can dig a little deeper into it.