Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Speaking of dead media, pre-sale for a rerelease of Gillian Welch’s The Harrow and the Harvest on reel to reel started yesterday. $700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

That’s $200 more than Elephant by the White Stripes.

I’m confused at who needs to spend this much on music. Like $100 for a reel release I could get. It’s extravagant, but it’s also super niche. But $500? That is just at the point where if you can afford to buy it, you have too much money.

It’s 2 reels, and hand transferred from 1/2” by Dave Rawlings. I bet they’re not making many. And I’m sure it will be worth a lot more than $700 the minute it’s released but it’s too much for me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

WHAT

Too much. but I love that record and am glad we got a vinyl pressing even so many years later.

You know it’s going to sound amazing

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

So the guy pushes record and that’s worth $700? It’s just audiophile nonsense - the same thing with the Electronic Recording Company.

If you’re willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a mono copy of the Doors’ debut because it’s an audiophile pressing, then you need to reconsider your financial decisions.

The Doors stands out to me especially since the mono version of the album has pretty rough sound quality with a ton of distortion baked into both the recording and the mix. And the mono tape is in pretty bad shape. So yeah, it’s all analog and tube cut, but it’s always going to be a low fidelity record anyway!

Ok, but this is a brilliant recording, not lovely, and it would be the equivalent (kinda) of Jim Morrison and Ray Manzerek being personally involved in producing the reels out of their home studio and autographing them before they ship them to you. It will be worth double or triple what someone pays the minute they get it. But it’s still a lot of money and I’m not doing it. But I wish I could. I’m sure it sold out in hours.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Savers run yesterday.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

Send me the Dokken :O

Big Willie Style is far and away the most valuable of the lot but the jacket is kinda trashed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Red posted:

When, exactly, did big box retail stores start selling vinyl again? That still blows my mind.

5 years ago? More?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I only buy garbage at thrift stores

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Interesting how everybody is on the same page at the same time when it comes to collecting, mostly doing the rare pricey preorder and slowing the gently caress down on collecting. This kind of confluence happens in the retro game thread too.

I doubt you're that basic and like a quarter of my collection is video game music, hard to get more basic bitch than that. Could always do something like flip around each record you put back after playing, then reassess the ones you haven't flipped after like a year?

I'm cheating and listening to albums on YouTube while I work to see if I still like them enough to keep and slap them on the turn table. Most of my rejects thus far are my questionable thrift store purchases. I think Brass Contstruction is the next album to go for example. Speaking of, anybody got any better recs for up beat disco music that goes some where musically?

Deodato?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Creature posted:

Picked up David Bowie ‘Heathen’, Gorillaz ‘Cracker Island’ and The White Stripes ‘De Stijl’ today. I was told by the woman at the counter that they were good rainy day records. It’s definitely a rainy day but I don’t see the connection myself.

She was making conversation with you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

New Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is up for pre-order with a Feb. 1st release date!

https://avantnight.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdG6QdW8GQE

Sick

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heath posted:

I see the Harold and Maude soundtrack on there but I feel as though you could just listen to Tea for the Tillerman

Trouble is the best song on the soundtrack and that’s on Mona Bone Jakon

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got the LIMITED EDITION 6th anniversary Lust For Life in the mail, cause 6th anniversaries are special obviously

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Since this is the official Sleepytime Gorilla Museum thread, I get to announce I got tickets for March and I am excited to see how old they look. I think probably 20 years since the last time I saw them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nope seeing them on their own, but that’s like the one festival where I feel like I know more of the acts than I don’t. I don’t know what that says.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I like to just do a crude sharpie copy of the cover

close enough

That self portrait is pretty good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

So I ordered this Audio-Technica Audio Technica AT-LP3XBT-WH Bluetooth Turntable Belt Drive Fully Automatic 33/45 (White) https://a.co/d/iQV1hKV as a gift for someone who wants to get into vinyl. It looks like a solid entry level player with a good upgrade path and it was on sale for $250. My understanding is at least at first I can get away with the integrated preamp but according to my research I’ll need some powered speakers until such time as I want to get a dedicated preamp and better speakers. I was recommended edifier speakers but I’m wondering which would suit my needs for a smallish basement room maybe 12 x 15 ish?

Is this also a gift or for you?

If it’s for you and you can wait until after the holidays, you will see a lot of used AV gear on craigslist/facebook marketplace and in thrift stores if you’re diligent. An older AV receiver (preferably with phono stage, but not necessarily) or old stereo receiver gives you a way bigger “upgrade path” than a pair of powered monitors. The biggest piece in the upgrade path chain to me is always speakers, and active monitors lock you in. Monitors are also typically (but not always) designed for near field listening, with a narrow sweet spot, but if this is for a listening room where multiple people would be hanging out, you might want speakers with a wider stage, ability to add a sub, etc.

If you wait until after Christmas there will be used stuff out there as people donate their nice old gear to plug in the sound bar they got as a gift.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

It's too late for this year, but what are some good Christmas records for a family setting? Is one of the Firestone records like secretly good or something? Should I drop my Perry Como Christmas album for a Bing Crosby one? (Probably as it was very mediocre).

Somebody's gotta have some good recommendations for lesser known Christmas albums, I'm tired of putting on the stuff we've had for decades and don't have enough new stuff myself to fill an evening.

Also to my suprise, Google says the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation soundtrack does not have a vinyl release. It feels like they should have done it for an RSD by now. There is however both a somewhat uncommon official CD and a slightly more common pirate CDr. Not sure if I'll spring for a real CD copy but I thought I was on to something looking for a physical of it.

So the best one is Bob Dylan’s Christmas in the Heart, which had a vinyl release last year.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thathonkey posted:

i have a silver face sansui from the late 60s that needed some fairly standard maintenance work. nothing even that complicated just mostly cleaning and replacing a bulb. anyway i could only find one shop in <fairly major city> that would agree to work on it, and after dragging their feet for a few weeks, they finally did a mediocre job and charged me more than i had paid for the unit on craigslist. the reviews for this shop were abysmal but i had no other option and they're literally the only game in town. seems like there's just not many places that have people knowledgeable enough to work on these old amps much these days. everyone that works at the shop i used looked like they were at least 60+

The two things you mentioned, changing bulbs and cleaning, are pretty easy to do yourself if you ever have to do it again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have 3 stereos with turntables and one that just has a tape deck and a Walkman.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

Yeah, that... seems pointless. I'd rather have a nice vinyl version of the anniversary edition they released a few years ago with all those other songs on a second LP. They're quite decent for B-sides, but there's no need for an off-the-cuff 'alternate" Ziggy album.

I probably won’t pay for it, but I’d listen to an alternate ziggy with a different mix and different track list. Sounds cool to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heath posted:

Does it have the music on it and is it the right color

All other concerns are secondary

What if you’re talking about 2 completely different pressings?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

It is totally my scene, tho, drat. I would have.

recent pickups:

Does the Alan Parsons have the blue outer sleeve??

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, an Eric Carr box set. Just what everyone wanted

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

I know that it's called "The Eric Carr Box Set" but it looks like it's only 2 lps

I bet they were struggling to fill it up too

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve never seen that village people album before. It looks like Doyle from the misfits on the right. What’s going on there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Once disco died, they tried to reinvent themselves as a new wave band. It's not a great album, but it does have one great punk song thrown in:

https://youtu.be/hpttbL8J4N4?si=MTeh35y2ucIXQ9Fu

That’s amazing

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

lament.cfg posted:

whoa-oh, amber electronics model seventeen

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
SGM remains one of the all-timers. Played for over 2 hours last night. 2 sets no encore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They were playing Ween when I walked into savers today. Still no good records

I guess that’s not true, there was a rotary connection record but I already have it

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heath posted:

I'm going to be moving in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if there is a good recommended storage solution for moving about 100 or so records. I just need probably 2-3 decent size boxes but they need to be strong enough to hold them and big enough that they won't get damaged. Anybody have something that they've used?

I thought they had a cardboard box at Uhaul that fits records well. Might want to check. I think about the size of a milk carton, so fits about 50.