Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

cf posted:

Did you mail it with the record inside?

No, just the sleeve.

I put it in a self addressed stamped bubble mailer with two sheets of cardboard inside and a short letter, it was about 12oz and took 9 stamps.

Then I wrapped that up in a big cut up sheet of cardboard like this:

I also contacted his production company first (Storm King Productions) to make sure he would sign and to ask what his fee was. They said to just send it on in with a return envelope and he'd sign it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I dare you to find a better cost/quality ratio than a Herb Alpert album.

Edit --> Huh, I wonder where this avatar came from, :wtc:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually heard the record, but if it's sold so many copies that you will always see it where there are records then Herb Alpert was probably some hot poo poo back then.

Hot poo poo is an understatement, I'm pretty sure he outsold The Beatles a few times.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Can't you just mount the cart at an angle to fix that?

I have an old Pioneer TT with a straight arm but the headshell is at an angle and it sounds pretty good.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Heads up

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Thom and the Heads posted:

thanks for this. no way was i checking ikea for cyber monday

Yeah no poo poo. My wife asked me "how big is a record?" and sent me the link.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Finally got my Black Friday $20 Kallax.

Didn't think I'd fill it up so easily. Glad I got a spare one!

Sorry for the lovely picture, but in my defense, you guys can't make fun of my tastes if you can't read the spines.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone got me beat?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

It would have been so much better if you had all of these except Whipped Cream.

Sorry, I'm not very good at trolling.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SeXReX posted:

Same. Also really fortunate for anyone who was already trying to flip one of those blackstar copies as I can only assume there will be a slight spike in price. My favorite store has a bin of 45s just for him that I'm sure is gonna get wiped out later today (especially if I have anything to say about it)

Slight spike is an understatement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVID-BOWIE...CQAAOSw5dNWk46s

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Only the clear version is selling for that much. It's limited to 5000, which isn't that much considering world wide popularity.

No B&N within 200 miles of me had a copy when I checked this morning.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've found https://www.newburycomics.com/ and http://www.pledgemusic.com/ can have great exclusives.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I collect Cds and there's actually alot of rare stuff you have to hunt down.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

The stuff from Newbury Comics are just colored vinyl of regular reissues of poo poo that can be found easily. It's good if you're into that sort of thing, but they often cost more than the regular black vinyl counterparts by at least five bucks.

Yep, this is 100% true, but I like the colors they get for stuff.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The idea of listening to Wildflowers without being able to skip tracks just gave me PTSD.

http://www.soundstage.com/vinyl/vinyl200509.htm

Barry posted:

This is probably some rose colored glasses association with positive events kind of crap but I love that album start to finish. I guess Honey Bee is a little take it or leave it.

Wildflowers and She's The One are Petty's two greatest and most underrated albums IMO.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

fromsinkingsands posted:

GoHastings has a 30% off sale if you use the code LOVETHEPOP. A majority of what I had in my cart was discounted, with a few exceptions. Definitely some good deals to be found:

Radiohead - King of Limbs - $10.54
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - $13.43
Incubus - SCIENCE - $13.17
Oldboy Soundtrack - $11.05
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell - $9.41
Henry Mancini Collection - $0.91 (B-BAM!)
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun - $17.50
Portishead - Dummy - $15.56
Deltron 3030 - S/T - $10.91
Arca - Xen - $10.15

They also have 35% off all used with IHEARTYOU this weekend.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

John Carpenter's Lost Themes II pre-order is up:
http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr150-john-carpenter-lost-themes-ii

The deluxe version sold out in less than a day. I'm glad I grabbed it and cancelled my Newbury Comics version instead.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Did the deluxe version have anything special about it besides the different color disc?

Yeah just a couple minor things.

It has it's own screen printed sleeve sealed in wax and hand numbered to 500.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

On January 17th someone paid $100 on discogs for a copy of Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves. Classic album.

Only funny if you leave out the details....

quote:

Comments: Autographed by Bob Segar, Chris Campbell, and Alto Reed. All signed in blue sharpie. 100% Authentic.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Idk, I think that could go either way.

I took a guitar class in college for easy credit and the guy who sat next to me said his favorite band EVER was Bob Segar. I'll never forget that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Peas and Rice posted:

I just discovered an amazing used record store a mile from my house. They have an enormous selection of old vinyl, and I'm planning on going in and exploring this weekend sometime.

Any tips for looking at old vinyl? I really have no idea what to look for apart from "don't buy a visibly scratched record."

Play it before you buy it. The shop should have a turntable or two set up.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has anyone bought the 3D printed RCM from this guy up in Canada?

http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/home.html

I'm considering buying one sometime later this year. I already have a shop vac so it would only be $35 more than buying a Spin Clean.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

My Mother 1 soundtrack now has a mate.

:ducksiren: 16 bit vinyl :ducksiren:

Nice, I got the split blue/yellow one but haven't had time to listen to it.

Glad I didn't get the puke one though. That one was the first to sell out too.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 28, 2016

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Flaggy posted:

Wouldn't the arm just fall off after a while? How does it stay pressed to the record without killing needles all the time. I am most likely overthinking how stupid that thing is

Hey man, how can you enjoy your records when you have to LEAN over them to see them, man?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Took a double take at the dirt mall today

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Is this thread hipster enough to handle our cassette purchases? Because I have hipstery cassette purchases to show off.

Might as well, it's not like there will ever be a tape thread.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I have a hand me down Radio Shack LAB-220 (I believe, IIRC) and I have to fiddle with the needle to get sound and/or stereo sound most times when I set out to play an album. Once it gets going it's all set though. Am I looking to replace the needle, the cartridge, or the whole headset?

That being said too, with whatever I have to replace, what should I be looking at to make sure I get the right compatibility for my model?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try reseating the wires going into the cartridge?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Barry posted:

I'm the same age and most of my friends are the same way. "Good music these days is so hard to find." "Nobody is making anything good anymore"

It has never been easier. Just open spotify and click around rather than listening to Superunknown for the ten thousandth time

Never!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

John Carpenter's Lost Themes II limited edition

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Maybe Pipes of Peace will finally have the value it deserves.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

When Herb Alpert dies any day now I'm going to be rolling in change from flipping albums

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got $68 for a sealed promo of Parade. Looking forward to buying an opened copy for under $20 next year.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Snowy posted:

Vinyl collectors pay some crazy prices but somehow paying high prices for rare CDs seems so laughably retarded to me.

I feel the same way when I see people paying higher than CD prices for digital downloads.

On a semi related note I sold a copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights for $10 over the weekend. On 8 track.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I was at a Salvation Army thrift store a couple weeks ago that only had one speaker hooked up to their receiver and they were playing Beatles stereo mixes through it. It was pretty surreal.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

On a related note, found a mono copy of my favorite Beatles album in vg+ for under $20 a few weekends ago. The cover is split but I don't think I've seen any in the last couple years of searching that wasn't.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I can't tell from YouTube on my phone but it looks like there's a weight on the back of the tonearm. Is there a weight stamped on it? 2g or 2.5g probably.

I'd check your anti-skate setting before using a penny.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

You'd think it's a weight but no, it's just a piece of plastic on the back that looks like a weight. There are little metal pieces that I hosed around with that you can screw/unscrew but they seem to just be actual screws holding the back of the tonearm in place, one of them is attached to a spring. Also while loving with them I think I've ruined the turntable's automatic mechanism, it's supposed to move the arm to the correct size of your record but now it just goes all the way to the right before making a loud popping sound and then returning to the cradle. Also records are skipping now and they've never skipped with that player.

As for the stylus, it looks like the diamond needle is actually pretty blunted and they basically advertised it as "new" as in "new old stock" which is starting to look like bullshit.

VV yeah, the only thing I'm bummed about is that I was going to give my current one to a friend whose turntable just broke, now I can't because it's hosed up

Time to sell for parts or use it to make a record cleaning machine.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just fixed a skip with a toothpick. Feeling pretty good right now.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

What? How? Just by scraping some crud out of a groove, or...?

Yep, I read this blog post and tried it:
https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2014/05/12/how-to-mend-a-record-that-skips-and-jumps-with-a-toothpick/

Took me about a dozen tries to find the right groove, but when I hit the dirt particle I could feel it pop out. My copy of Cruising with Ruben and the Jets is perfect now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I recently moved into a new place and need to downsize my furniture. Used to have a separate table for the player and equipment and the records but now looking to get something for both. Any recommendations?

I have like 200+ records at this point so prolly need something sizeable

Kallax holds about 300 records.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/40275813/