Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Arcella posted:

Found another Kevin Eubanks and this Mystic Merlin record which apparently did not get a very large pressing.

That's cold, jay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

I bought it used so not sure if it'll still work but worth a try:

album is sex & food by unknown mortal orchestra

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Remembered I've got some codes to post as well, I think they all work, hopefully?

Jason Isbell, Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley- Live at the Shoals Theatre

I took both of these. Thank you both! It's been a few days, I'm probably gonna try the rest of the codes on page 959 this week, so if you want em,

I received the latest Kouns and Weaver tape a few days ago and since I bought through Bandcamp I do not need this amazing code!

It's pretty "different" and while you most definitely should be a fan of K&W i can understand if they're not your flavour. Give em a listen.

https://kounsandweaver.bandcamp.com/album/the-transmogrification-of-mr-claus

https://kounsandweaver.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-alanis-morissettes-new-album

https://kounsandweaver.bandcamp.com/album/children-of-cimmeria

pwn
May 27, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not albums but I bought some vintage record store flats to put together this ode to my favorite Bowie era

That's damned cool.

pwn
May 27, 2004

hexwren posted:

so i asked for a full replacement, feeling that was fair.

they asked for evidence of damage to the LP itself, which I neglected to show in my initial photos. I sent a minute-long video of it on my turntable, with the stylus going up and down as it went around.

today, they essentially implicitly agreed, but the LP was out of stock, so they just gave me a full refund without asking for me to ship it back

i guess that's okay.

gently caress yea. Now go buy a good'un!

I'm really invested in your journey

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm old, give me Hockey Scores on a 12" club single

pwn
May 27, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

good mail day for me

bought used so the code might not work

dorium posted:

Another free code for those that want some post-punk.

Greedily sucked both of these down. Thank you both!

Also, as promised a week ago, I finally grabbed the rest of what was left on page 959. And, so that I would actually listen to them, I fixed the tags, added proper art, and transferred the albums to VLC on my iPhone last night

(The Jason Isbell and friends live at Shoals still needs to be transcoded; the download was HD audio files :pwn: )

A few had been used anonymously of course but the oddest duck was Elizabeth Cook. No trace of the album or her on the Hand Drawn Records site, obviously no way to download. They must have parted ways in a most acrimonious manner.

To give something back, here's two from God Help the Girl. The first is the original 2009 LP.

I'll save you some time. Go to https://codes.beggars.com and enter the unique code at the bottom. You no longer need the UPC. I bought this used about 5 years ago, and the code may or may not be used. Please, if you do use it, let us know so that I know to retire it.

And the eventual film's OST, five years later, from 2014. New recordings of nearly all tracks, a few new tunes, and a brief-but-beautiful instrumental from the vaults by Stuart and Isobel. Also obligatory snippets of dialogue.

I need not the codes since I obviously own both of these on CD as well and have ripped them. Hell, I even "bought" the 2014 OST from Amazon the day my friend and I took a trip to the neighbouring state to see a screening of the film, so we could listen in the car via Amazon's Music app. Apparently you can't listen to your purchases in the app anymore, without being subscribed to their streaming service. Stay classy, Bezos. And that is why I never have relied on streaming. You don't "own" jack poo poo, you haven't bought anything except a temporary license. Physical media forever, downloads as long as you can keep the files backed up.

Anyway I rewatched the film a couple times last week and have been on a kick and discovered that I still had these codes. I hope someone enjoys them!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the files for Double Rainbow were a mess. "1" appended to each file (one also had "(album version)" too), no year or even track number in the tags, only two tracks had the artist tag. Thank goodness for Mp3tag

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 15, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

bagina posted:

I’m seeing that thing get posted more and more. I feel like it would invite so much destruction to the record. What’s the sound quality like, and why would you use it rather than an mp3 player? Where are you finding it the most useful? Are there places you have used it that surprised you with its utility?

Almost every record I own is either a repurchase of something I already own just to support the artist and my own collection or something that isn’t available elsewhere and ripped to mp3. Maybe I’m not the target for that particular device, but you never know. A few years ago I would not have thought I would be spending money on records again but here we are…

Techmoan has done a few vids on the matter, he seems pleased iirc. Keep in mind he's older and doesn't care if the tracking force is a bit on the heavy side because it's later than you think and eternity draws ever nearer. I don't recall what the tracking force is for these.

First video on original models c. 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7onLOkSpLc

On modern copycats, from two years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZF9TdLsjt8

And on the new Sound Burger from last November

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b48XD9P8klM

pwn
May 27, 2004

If you'd like some of that Buffett vibe but (like me) cannot stand Buffett, give my mans Sloppy Joe a try.

https://sloppyjoeandthecruise.bandcamp.com/album/keep-on-cruisin

Still 23 copies available on the Bandcamp, comes with rolling papers and an excellent booklet (zine). Here's my writeup from the ancient summer of 2020

pwn posted:

I also psot today’s haul, what for came in the mail today: Fresh from PIAPTK!

Aaand the long-lost Sloppy Joe and the Cruise - Keep on Cruisin’!

quote:

I REALLY love this record. And the response to the soft-rollout of it has been incredible. If the first pressing sells out, we will probably do another run asap. This record needs to get out there and be heard!...

It's Jimmy Buffet meets Brian Wilson Meets Jerry Garcia. It's clever, self aware, self-deprecating, beautiful, funny, sad, and infectious. It was recorded in 1975 by a Key West slacker named “Sloppy” Joe Flappens, and sat on a shelf until a year and a half ago, when he passed away and it was sent to Doug O'Donnell (former Dr. Dog guitarist) as a condition of Joe's will. Joe and Doug met in 2004 at a bar after Doug played in Key West, and they became penpals. Below is the teaser. The full story is in the zine that is included with the record. bookshelf at Joe's house for 40 years. See the teaser story below....

About the Record:
-First Pressing Limited to 250 copies in die-cut covers.
-On Yellow with red fleck sunset vinyl.
- Includes a zine with images and what little information is known about “Sloppy Joe” Flappens and the recording session
- Includes a pack of custom Keep on Cruisin' rolling papers

After a show in Key West, FL, in 2004, Dr. Dog guitarist Doug O'Donnell wandered into a run down dive bar called Chart Room, and ordered a drink. There we only a handful of lonely regulars in the bar, but one of them came over and sat down next to Doug after hearing that he was a touring musician. For the next two hours, this skinny, scraggly bearded man, although in his mid-50s had the world weariness of someone far older, unrolled his own incredible history (while Doug unrolled the $5 bills of his tour per diem to keep them both in rum and cokes). This man was “Sloppy” Joe Flappen. In the late 70's, (as he told it), Sloppy Joe was one of the kings of the Southern Florida Beach Bar scene. He had a band, “The Cruise”, that would pack houses all the area, long before Jimmy Buffet's “Margaritaville” would bring Tropical Rock to the masses. Buffett and Flappen were working the same circuit, and, while not exactly friends (there was, unshockingly, a “woman to blame” for this), they occasionally played together. Joe gave him a copy of the record that night (dubbed over a Dan Fogelberg cassette), which became a favorite in the Dr Dog tour van. Joe and Doug continued to be penpals for the next decade, but eventually lost touch. When Joe passed away in 2018, he left the master tapes to Keep on Cruisin' to Doug, along with a note asking him to get it out to anyone who might care. So that is what we are trying to do.

I also whored myself out to get the lathe cut bonus track, so if you do end up buying the LP and want to hear that bonus track (that is no longer available) drop me a PM and I'll see about doing a rip.

:patriot:

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 3, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

:siren: oh poo poo the motherfuckin Mustafa Özkent :siren:

remember when we all bought that record lol. I also have (a) Savila record, though not that one. Looks like a sick mix

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/mrsimonraymonde/status/1700137610214064272?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OqVUsqkh8

tl,dr CDs from before the loudness wars could be preferable.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I Might Be Adam posted:

I remember researching types of CDs and I think even pressed discs eventually die.

It's down to the adhesive used to keep the layers sandwiched together. If that adhesive degrades the layers begin to separate and the data layer oxidizes? I think? It's been a minute since I researched it.

Personal anecdote: Some DVDs I had left in extreme temperatures are now unplayable. Heat and cold will degrade the glue.

Of course if they use an unstable glue for a batch at the plant then you're hosed, in ten or 15 or 20 years or whenever the glue fails.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Brain Damage / Eclipse

pwn
May 27, 2004

I was buying vinyl rekkids at Best Buy in 2008. Target's had them for years too.

I was in Target the other day and so many new records were in the $50 range. I wanted to get the new Jon Batiste but it was $40. People are loving high.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

How's it hanging vinyl thread? Are we all waiting for preorders, or have we all given up because prices are too high?

Given up

Just came in today, finally watched my Blu-ray of the film this past weekend and needed the soundtrack. Found this b*cht for $12.99 (13.70 with tax). Don't give me no poo poo just let me get some sick fukken tunes for a reasonable price!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Stinky fraish Beefart mix, noice bruh

Also reminding me i still have the October Moss Appeal waiting for my ears. Gah!

pwn
May 27, 2004

1. Do i like it? 2. How does it complement the album art? 3. Do I already have another record of that colour?

In this case I do already have a black spatter on red, but I really like it, and a split sounds less interesting. Without seeing the album art, I'm leaning towards the former as well.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Beatles crap is going to keep being rereleased until there is no longer a market for it. Gotta beef up Paul McCartney's great-great-great grandchildren's retirement fund

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Did I miss anything good?

Records are expensive now.

(Now we just need to pull petit choux back in :bernin: )

pwn
May 27, 2004

Perfect timing for my walk right now :cool:

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

The Dirtbombs - Goodlife

The riff and sound in this is reminding me so hard of something I cannot recall. It fucks tho.

Edit: mix starts with obsessive stalk talk and ends with violent spousal abuse, with some bar room mating rituals right in the middle. Wild time, thanks for the fun.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 12, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

The Dirtbombs song is a cover of a Detroit Techno song by Inner City

Yeah... realized that after I sent off the mix. Usually when recording I am just going for a flow musically and not paying too much attention to the lyrics. Unintended theme there I guess.

No apologies, it was a fun time!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Not to be a bummer but i hope that has a replaceable battery. I have a few things with batteries sealed inside which have since died (Evil Dead II Book of the Dead edition DVD, Frankenhooker VHS) and they are impossible to replace without destroying it. I worry that they might leak, as batteries are wont to do...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Went to the new record store tonight and made another $60 crater in next month's money

I am making poor financial decisions :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

Vicki Vale

Vick
Vick
Vicki Vale

pwn
May 27, 2004

This seems legit

Anyway just go acquire a bunch of of cheap or free records, paint the covers, make a bunch of prints of an old photo you shot in 2010, design a back cover, print that, paste those on, buy some CD-Rs and sleeves, create an ad-hoc drying rack, and mail them unsolicited to various people like a normal-brained person

Edit: Early on i briefly looked into the idea of getting mike dixon to do a run of lathe cuts but besides being prohibitively expensive and the AQ being... well, a lathe cut, it would only be mono, as stereo lathe cutting is possible but exponentially more difficult.

There's no way this outfit is gonna take tracks they do not have the licensing for and make a lacquer and a mother and a stamper and press loving discs and also do it in a couple weeks and for $55. It's a scam i do not like to have to say it but please. I wish it could be true but even if all that was true... they're mastering from wildly-sub-par source material

Edit 2: Reading the FAQ, they are making lathe cuts, and while this would be a neat idea for your own music, I am pretty sure it would be insanely illegal to use other music and I get real fly-by-night vibes from them, cashing in on the holiday season.

pwn fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 27, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

HE RETURNS :cawg:

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ltd-Numbered-Garth-Brooks/dp/B07VLJ7C96?ref=dlx_cyber_dg_dcl_B07VLJ7C96_mw_sl6_72

Also who needs this, it's a great album but it's just an album, why the gently caress does this exist.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Yeah wasn't it $30 for all three sets. Haha. I still have 2.

Oh yeah. I mentioned getting a lathe cut record made so here it is.

So I have been participating in the Awful Xmas Music thread for the last few years and decided to get all my tracks put on a record. I'm gonna give it out to a few friends as a xmas card. It sounds kinda poo poo and there are some heavy skips so it is more of an "art" object than a practical record.

Here is what it sounds like (skip and all) for those that are curious.

https://on.soundcloud.com/M9Rtj

Anyway, the guy who did it had it done in one day and I don't think he actually checked anything because the huge skips happen in the same spots on all copies. Kinda sucks because you physically have to move the stylus to get past, but oh well. I might do another press through a more reputable place next year.

Here is my Christmas Album
https://totallymawesome.bandcamp.com/album/for-christmas

That's cool as hell. Get you a friend who makes you a record for Christmas.

pwn
May 27, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

He actually released a new album recently which is exclusively sold at Bass Pro shops. I know that sounds like a Hard Times parody article but I assure you it is true. What's bizarre is that there's really no mention of it anywhere online, and no other way to hear it right now, in fact it isn't even listed on Discogs or RYM yet even though it's been out a month already. I mean okay maybe Garth's star ain't what it once was but he's still the #2 selling artist of all time in the USA and I'm pretty sure he could still sell out any venue that he wants to. So of course now I'm fascinated with this album, which I will probably never hear.

It's his third Limited Series box set CD, which has a bunch of his old stuff. I saw him promoting it on The Kelly Clarkson Show last week. Which I recorded.

...what?

Edit: 4:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIpu7W-_Q0

Haha his new album, Time Traveler (3:30), is PART OF THE BOX SET, a fact which was NOT made clear in the show. Lol, lmao,

You can buy it here if you'd rather not risk setting foot in a Bass Pro Shop. It costs 1 Garth Brooks Vinyls Box Set

Edit 2: god help me, I might actually get this goddamned thing; it has all his new albums that I never heard and it's one low price and what̴ ̷i̷s̷ ̴h̵a̷p̷p̵e̴̺͚͙̽̎n̵̗̈̌i̷̜̋͊n̷͔̓g̸̳̩̑͝ ̸̫̭̈t̵̪̼̃͘͜ơ̷̧͙̞̖͊͑͌͗͑͜ͅ ̷͇̫̹̪̙̞̐m̴̳̿̈́͆͋̉͂ȅ̴͓̼͖̀̽́

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 28, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Garth Brooks laughing Garth Brooks laughing Ha Ha Ha Ha He

SA Xmas is just prolific enough that my non-goon friends sometimes send me Bandcamp links to the tracks.

Please pass it on to the goons in here who aren't hep. I wanna hear the garth is coming to town song.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Oh yeah. That time of the month. New vinyl mix is up... well... I kinda cheated. The intro is from youtube.

You've changed, man

pwn
May 27, 2004

I really don't feel well but i did get a lot of cool stuff this week and I managed to get some photos yesterday before the sunlight went away.

First, on Monday, I got my new Vault. Triple disc live in Vegas WS with a bonus single, a pair of art prints, bumper sticker, patch, and it all came laid out so it's ready to be photographed for social media upon opening

$75 please. Oh well! It's a nice set and I'll play it once (and rip it at the same time) then throw it on The Pile.

On Tuesday, I received a very special gift from our resident Herb Alpert superfan Turbinosamente! She gave me a Captured Tracks anniversary sampler from 2018 but oh there was some extra...

I do not know what this record is but I am actually more excited to play it than the WS discs. I wanna win mystery bucks!!

It is literally impossible to get out of Record Archives without a Herb Alpert record. Facts.

And this... this is a sweet art piece... and I suspect it may have been made by another goon in 2021??

I am glad to be the new Keeper of the Chrysanthemum Cards. Thank you Ms. Samente, you've warmed my failing heart this uncommonly-balmy December day :unsmith:

And finally, a gift from my mum, who knows this year's perfect gift when she sees it.

Yes I asked for it. Because I have spent all my money on gifts for others (mainly pecans and Calvin and Hobbes books).

Except for the live album, none of the CDs have booklets, just card insert covers. Besides the new album, which is exclusive to this set, I would imagine they all originally had booklets. This long tall booklet contains copious photos, lyrics, and writings, which I suspect largely covers the contents of the original releases. It would still be nice if the CDs had booklets but I'm not losing sleep over it.

What we also get is this giant fukken Bass Pro Shop/Ducks Unlimited leaflet, which is a quad-fold, and frankly is both lol and lmao. Moving on.

CDs are secured in their plastic nest.

I swear, these covers... besides the live CD, these look like the fake CDs you'd see in a movie or a photoshop or whatever to show, like, a bunch of new Garth Brooks albums. I wonder if they will ever be released on vinyl. Perhaps the HOTTEST gift of Christmas 2034?

Thanks for looking at all this! I'm going to be balls-deep in making other people's gifts for the next week or so. I doubt they would appreciate their nuts' proximity to my nuts, but them's the breaks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

haha have you tried the qr codes on that art piece?

I did, nothing came up. :(

Also it's kinda weird that we don't really use :saddowns: anymore. At least I never see it used. So often I want to express that emotion but then I get kinda eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about it. I guess we done growed up.

Edit: also pour one out for :downsrim:

pwn
May 27, 2004

King Giz collection nearly complete!! :xd:

pwn
May 27, 2004

New Vault package announced recently.

quote:

THIRD MAN RECORDS ANNOUNCES VAULT PACKAGE #59: ELVIS PRESLEY AT 706 UNION AVE: THE SUN SINGLES 1954-55

January 08, 2024

Third Man Records, in conjunction with Sony Music Entertainment and the Sun Label Group, is proud to announce its 59th Vault package, Elvis Presley at 706 Union Ave: The Sun Singles 1954-55. Celebrating the seventieth anniversary of these monumental recordings, this collection includes faithful reproductions of all five of Presley’s original 7-inch 45rpm singles on Sun, pressed in a hypnotic yellow and black marble colored vinyl. Additionally, a bonus 7-inch EP of four Elvis songs recorded at Sun which didn’t see release until later are collected in a prime pretty picture sleeve and pressed on yellow and black “sun ray” splattered vinyl.

To further accentuate the set, Third Man has included two linen-style postcards in the box, one depicting the classic, unassuming facade of the Sun storefront and the other showing, in glorious detail, the beauty of sound absorbing acoustic tile. Also added here is a name-tag styled patch spiritually inspired by the accoutrement of Presley’s truck-driving job at Crown Electric, extolling the titular hook of that first Elvis a-side. And finally, a substantive, milled nickel 45 adaptor, featuring the iconic rooster emblazoned on all those early singles.

Beyond that, ONE lucky customer will receive a package that contains original 1950s pressings of ALL FIVE Elvis Presley singles on Sun. Sought after by collectors for decades, these records’ value align more with precious metals than molded plastic. A true golden-ticket opportunity. Order now through January 31st at https://www.thirdmanrecords.com/vault. Packages begin shipping in April.

It's cool but I'm not even sure it's $60 cool, let alone $75 cool. If you love Elvis, maybe.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Update: my Black Friday records just came in today. Incredibly though, they issued me a refund as an apology. $100 bucks of free records, baby!

Awesome! Goongrats on your 2 free records!

pwn
May 27, 2004

slurpin it up

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1759356456137117955?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

My newest mix of vinyl record recordings is up over @
https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-54-ft-pete-moss/

I hate how good you are at this

Seemingly effortlessly tossing off major vibes. Making for a great night walk my dude.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I kind of suspect* that the new Belles song will be there as an unofficial RSD release. I'll stroll over and be disappointed.

*hope, mostly

pwn
May 27, 2004

Be sure to upload the show to Archive.org! Old radio recordings are a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

There is this little hole in the wall record store that I pass all the time and for whatever reason I have never gone in. Happened to drive by yesterday and he was having a $1 sidewalk sale so I stopped in and bought some soul 45's. I regretted not buying more. Went back today and he had changed it to 10 for $1 and all of the stuff I regretted not buying was still there. Haha. So now I have 100 45's to listen to. Nothing too crazy so far but a good stack of James Brown, some Philly soul, and Stax stuff. A lot of poo poo I just grabbed because the label looked cool.

Never gonna run out of Moss Appeals :woop: