Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

IG-88 posted:

The RSD release was UK only I believe. This should be a standard black repress. There were people on Reddit talking about settling for this since they missed Mondo.

Also, I got some some good poo poo in today.

There's still 56/500 available so you should be good for a bit. Give it a listen.

https://espritfantasy.bandcamp.com/album/virtua-zip

personally I think the 200% Electronica album is where it's at but this one is pretty nice too. I dig the nice long jams on Side 2 since the original is so short that it fits on one side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
anyone got any tips for cleaning records? I bought a copy of Underworld's Oblivion With Bells which was fairly expensive (the LP was pressed in a small quantity and isn't one of their more popular ones) and Side 4 has a lot of popping on it. "VG+" my rear end (the cover also looks like it was waterlogged or something). Used one of those big pad brushes with a cleaning solution, it helped but not much. Anything else I can do???

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

looks pretty cool, but is this gonna do anything one of these won't?

https://www.rockmerch.com/products/...s%20%26%20Vinyl

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah that was kind of me for a while. I did have a fairly expensive turntable (a Stanton TR8-80 which I basically spent my entire savings on - $300) but I lived in the dorms so all I had were these puny speakers that didn't sound nearly as good as the ones hooked up to my computer. still bought vinyl all the time cuz it was so cheap, I just liked having it. the mid 00's was a golden era for people just dumping off their entire collection for a hundred bucks.

now that I have a house I wound up cobbling together a decent set up - Dad's old receiver, Mom's old tower speakers, stuff they wanted to get rid of for years but they still work great. now that I'm working from home I'm playing records pretty much all the time.

as impractical and silly as it is I enjoy it a lot - I find it more satisfying than just downloading everything I hear of and powering through 2-3 new albums a day. I think when you actually have to spend a finite resource on something it gives it meaning, I feel like I'm *enjoying* music in a way I kinda haven't since I used to spend all my Burger King money on CDs? idk how to explain it. totally irrational but the popularity of this thread tells me I'm not the only one

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Buffis posted:

Completed my set of all Perfume LP's

very nice!!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I have no clue what kind of music that is but I want one anyway

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

what the hell

https://twitter.com/scott4listener/status/1321829118833545217

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

nice, was always hoping to come across that one in the wild

e: lol no longer on page 666

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

And re: Seth McFarlane. Family Guy had the most transphobic "joke" I've ever seen second only to Ace Ventura so I just think he's a huge piece of poo poo. Plus his lovely cartoons are a cancer on the medium of television. This one isn't a valid criticism, but I just think he's got a super weird looking face that I find uncomfortable to look at. It's kind of uncanny valley and almost reminds me of the aliens from Fire in the Sky.

don't wanna derail this thread too much but I think of Seth MacFarlane much like I do Frank Zappa, smart dude who blew nearly all his talent doing lovely lowbrow humor with the obvious subtext of "this stuff is beneath my genius but it makes you idiots laugh", but occasionally he does do something that impresses me. have heard a lot of stories about the guy's obsession with his own appearance which explains his odd face

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Wait until you get a 3-LP set like this (for example, ELP's Welcome Back My Friends)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

BigFactory posted:

The cassette version of Rush Caress of Steel put I Think Im Going Bald right in the middle of Fountain of Lamneth, if I remember what being 13 years old was like again.

hah...reminds me of the vinyl version of Magma's Kohntarkosz, which puts "Ork Alarm" right in the middle of the 30-minute title track

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Asnorban posted:

My local store opened up for appointments today. The owner had been backdoor handing me records since March and I'd been buying gift cards to offset the cost, but went in to finalize those transactions and get them off the books. I was trying to keep my spending down today, but I should have known as soon as I saw a YMO record on the wall that that wasn't going to happen.

I was never able to find that first YMO record in the shops although it's relatively common. you can get them secondhand online for fairly cheap. surprisingly I did find BGM once for 3 bucks and it was in great condition. never knew that one was actually released in America

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

just bought an a secondhand copy of Sports by Huey Lewis and the News that was in absolutely pristine condition. dare I say boys, this one may be a hot stamper. came with the highest price tag I've ever seen for this album: $2.99, plus tax

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does static cause problems? These records are super staticy when I pick them up.

yes - idk if static can cause a record to skip but I've had a few new records that sounded pretty crackly until I wiped 'em down and suddenly they sounded great. happens a lot on new records

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Wrong Way Up definitely near the top of the "great album/loving awful cover" list

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

what I'm curious about is if the drums on "Spinning Away" still sound horrible...the copy I have they sound like they were sourced from a 96 kbps MP3. too bad cuz the song is fantastic

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

What is the most expensive album you’ve bought off of Discogs? I am still fairly new to buying vinyl and there are some albums I would truly truly love that seem to have had limited releases. I recognize that they are being marked up to the heavens. Do I just accept that I will never own them? Or is biting the bullet every few years on something rare that you know you’re being gouged on a thing everyone does?

I got a Haruomi Hosono album that was $60, it was an original + it shipped from America which is pretty rare

ultimately when it comes to albums like that all I can say is monitor your wantlist pretty closely (at least every week). there's a Denki Groove album I really wanted that keeps getting listed at unserious prices (like $170+) but I wound up snagging a copy that was only $40 + shipping by noticing it at the top of the "items I want for sale" list. I think it comes down to the sellers not really wanting to move them unless they can get a stupid price. it's frustrating because I check it often enough to notice that a bunch of my rare holy grail type albums just really don't ever move.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

just in from Japan

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

one thing I cannot stand about the discogs wantlist is that a bunch of sellers are deleting and re-adding their inventory every couple of days so you see the same overpriced poo poo pop up over and over and over again. it's amazing they haven't figured out a way around that yet

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

all my P-Model/Susumu Hirasawa stuff has finally come in, gonna be a fun weekend

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Q for all you vinyl freaks and freakettes

I have a record that I bought new and have played 6-7 times which, for some reason, plays kinda crackly right now - consistent surface noise

not sure why this is, maybe it's just a bad pressing and I didn't notice until now (its my first time listening on headphones) but I think it might be because the paper inner sleeve is scuffing it up. are paper sleeves known for doing that?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I've got one of those cleaning systems with the brush & cleaning liquid but it's effectiveness kinda varies

think I know what you're saying though, those old plain white paper sleeves are probably fine but there are thicker ones that you can hear the record scraping against and those I'm kind of weary of

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

pwn posted:

Do you clean it before playing it? Every time I play a record, I wipe the surface to remove whatever debris has accumulated.

”Freak” isn’t a gendered term, so “Freakette” is unnecessary

no - do y'all wipe off your records with a towel before playing? would probably help I suppose

agreed that static is a pretty big issue right now, particularly with new records - a few times I've thought "oh drat this pressing sucks" only to flip the record and feel all my arm hair stand up

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

apparently this is "Very Good Plus"

would hate to see what it would have looked like without the "Plus"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

How's the record

pretty good, actually! for a $15 VdGG album it's not a bad deal, and of course I can glue the cover back together

still kinda funny to see a sleeve that's not only split open but has numerous pen marks, an almost totally white spine, and a corner crinkled up listed as "Very Good Plus"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

petit choux posted:

So discogs doesn't rate the record and the jacket separately, I guess. Because that's bs.

they did! the shop that sold this (which apparently is a pretty big one with a lot of positive feedback) looked at it and said "Very Good!.....Plus!!!"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

its strange I've had 3-4 records from Discogs that were very clearly not in the advertised condition and every time it was from some megaseller with like a 99% positive feedback rate

otoh I recently bought a copy of Hosono's Philharmony where the seller refunded me $5 before even shipping it because there was apparently a click or two at the start of the record. not only did I not hear the click but the album was definitely close to NM and not VG+ as it was listed

some people are just nice I guess

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Thinking about upgrading my turntable. Right now I have a Stanton STR8-80 (since discontinued), it's served me well but I noticed it does have some issues with inner-groove distortion & quite frankly I don't know if the sound is as clean as it should be. It's a straight underhanging arm, which I've come to realize is pretty rare, since you really *can't* align them properly. The upside is it's good for scratching, something I haven't done in years (I bought this thing in 2005!!)

Anyway I've been looking at a few replacements and kind of settled on this - was wondering if anyone's got one and how they like it. Price is good, reviews seem pretty positive.....what do y'all think???

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3S4X3P

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

feel like Covid has been juicing the sales somewhat, as it's exactly the sort of insular & dorky hobby that you actually can get into right now

in general I've always thought of the vinyl resurgence as a response to streaming so I wouldn't expect it to just suddenly crater

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oof I know everything is being gauged at the moment, but I paid $249 for mine the week they came out. Following that link shows me almost double that.

It is a solid turntable that’ll work fine out of the box though, and definitely has enough improvements over the regular 120 to go for the X version.

weird, last night they were available for $299

you can still get one here, I guess:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATLP120XUSB?siid=253534

also looks to be one here, should I pick it up?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120XUSB-BK-Direct-Drive-USB-Turntable-Black-/192984497315

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 10, 2021

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

actually went to turntable lab and got the bluetooth enabled one for $299. I know you can just get an adapter for $25 extra but if I cared about money I wouldn't have ever started this hobby

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The fact that old used Prince records retail for 30 bucks and up is absolutely outrageous. New poo poo costing more makes more sense for the aforementioned reasons. But stuff that has hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies floating around? Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

I get the frustration, it's weird seeing copies of Dark Side of the Moon tagged at $25 even though you know it sold more copies than there are humans on Earth, but that is what the market dictates. The guy at my local shop says albums by Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Floyd, Zeppelin, Talking Heads, Prince, etc. - stuff you'd expect to be cheap because there's so much of it out there - sells pretty much as fast as he gets it in. In reality there probably aren't as many copies floating around as you think. Most people's record collections probably got sold off around 2000 or so, that's when the market was *really* flooded, and indeed I was able to pick up a lot of great stuff for cheap back then, though with the caveat that a lot of it was in pretty junked condition. How many Prince records that were sold in 1984 are still playable today? How many were thrown out or got lost or were stored poorly in a moldy basement for 30 years?

since I've been gifted a Magic: the Gathering avatar I'll point out that MTG has the same issue - a lot of old cards are weirdly expensive, even if nobody really wants them, just because there are so few copies in circulation due to this stuff just naturally getting lost or destroyed or exiled to the basement forever

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

lol I had no idea VNYL made you send the records you didn't want back, honestly thought it was just "we'll send you 3 thrift store records + the occasional reissue WHEN WE THINK YOU DESERVE IT"

I already have a similar service, it's called getting drunk and ordering random poo poo on discogs at 1 AM. Who knows what's going to show up!! I recently got a copy of Virgins and Philistines by The Colourfield that I don't remember ordering! I haven't heard this album in a decade! apparently it was only 6 bucks !??

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

thetan_guy42 posted:

this one cost a pretty penny and took months to ship, but its such a cool unique creation and fun to listen to. underneath is hiroshi sato - awakening which i bought because of this thread - very soulful album

nice! I'm up to 7 Hosono albums now but 5 of them are the LITA reissues - no complaint of course, they do a great job, but having the originals is awesome. amusingly the guy I bought Philharmony from on Discogs refunded me 5 bucks because, despite the VG+ rating, there was some clicking at the beginning of Side 1....it's like 3 clicks, before the music even starts, and the rest of it plays perfectly. total opposite of what I usually deal with on there.

really hope LITA reissues more Hosono stuff soon - I'm kind of surprised they haven't jumped on reissuing Swing Slow, that thing would sell like crazy in today's environment

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Boinks posted:

The Outfield Play Deep is a $25 record now because of a meme or something.

my local shop had a copy for $13 and I was like "what are you thinking, this is super common and nobody wants it", boy was I wrong

its actually a pretty good album

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I've said this a bunch of times, but who is paying these loving prices? It's one thing when an album that retailed for 15 bucks sells for 50. But how does all this poo poo have triple digit asking prices now? People are buying this poo poo at these prices. Why? It's like those cartridges that cost thousands of dollars. At that point there's no worthwhile benefit and it's not even about the music, it's just a fetish item. Are there really that many boomers with money, wackos like that guy on youtube, and Saudi Princes hoarding this poo poo to drive up the prices to this extreme?

yeah I've noticed a lot of stuff on my want list is going for like $60-70 though if you look at the sales data, nobody ever bought it for more than $30. super frustrating, but I guess it is saving me lots of money in the long run

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

vapor vinyl is cool but it's the sort of thing you have to pounce on immediately or it skyrockets to 4x the price which is super loving obnoxious

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

sporklift posted:

I'll admit I don't quite "get" vaporwave. Is it just slowed down/glitched mall muzak? I dig some of what I have heard but, yeah, the price of entry is pretty steep. Wonder if the quick print runs are because the samples aren't cleared.

a lot of the lazy stuff is, I think at this point "vaporwave" casts a pretty wide net, something like George Clanton is miles away from say Macintosh Plus or Chuck Person. there's a lotta great stuff there though

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

beeker posted:

Slide is such a next-level album with respect to his whole trajectory. I love to see the evolution of production from the early days of using Sega samples on ESPRIT records. I'm not a fan of 311, but the recent stuff he did with Nick Hexum is pretty wild considering the whole genre started as a culmination of 90s nostalgia / memes.

I really like the Nick Hexum album, thought it was maybe too lightweight to really be that good but I've replayed it a ton. it's not as good as Slide but to be fair it's a much better produced record - I love Clanton but kinda hate the way he produces his stuff - so this makes me pretty hopeful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

finally bought some Tergikleen, holy poo poo this stuff works wonders. in fact its the only cleaning product I've bought that makes a notable difference. so many junked records are suddenly playable again. gets rid of 80-90% of the surface noise and makes the music seem so much more vibrant. to think of the money I could've saved had I found this earlier. no I am not an affiliate of this company.