Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What causes skipping/repetition?

I use one of these (inherited from deceased father-in-law) to play records. It generally sounds superb and is one of my most favorite things. However, I've found that the arm (a Shure SME 3009) is extremely picky and prone to needing adjustment after a move. Otherwise it sounds excellent. Lately, I've noticed some of my LP's skip at random times. I've made sure the record is dust/lint free, there's no scratches, and yet some of my records end up skipping or stuck in a particular section and I manually have to correct the arm to continue listening. As expected, this completely kills the mood. It doesn't happen to all the records (the majority of classical vinyl I inherited from him is mostly flawless, particularly the ffrr recordings) but it happens enough to irritate me.

Ideas?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

WOW what a killer setup!

Sounds like tracking force might be a bit too light, add a little weight.

Almost forgot, you really need that weight on the string, I hope it's not missing!

No, the counterweight on the end of the string is there. I have the original Thorens manual, but not the manual for the 3009. Normally, when the turntable gets seriously out of balance (it's happened before) I take it to a local record store in Houston and they do what's necessary. They never charge me for just adjustment and cleaning, although I usually drop $50-$60 in vinyl when they help me out for free.

Thanks!

For content, picked these up today:

Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner
Other Lives - Tamer Animals

Post-Script I think the rubber mat on this Thorens has warped. Watching an LP play at eye level and there's a decent amount of wave. Can anyone recommend a viable replacement?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 2, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

milk teeth posted:

right behind it was an immaculate copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights :)

I recently stole this from my father, who has a ton of Herb Alpert stuff mint original pressing. That album is great. Are the others just as sublime?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A few recent attacks on my wallet.

I was excited about the Siamese Dream find, because it's red vinyl from Caroline. However, I should have listened to it before actually buying it. Skips pretty much every loving track on the first side.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 13, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Plus some band I've never heard of that sounds like Mineral but slightly more subdued.

Ha! It's not The Gloria Record is it?

I still put out my Mineral 7"s and bask in the glory of the best SDRE imitators ever.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Is that an original pressing of Honey's Dead? That must have set you back.

No. :( If it was an original, I would have just been a tool and framed it or something. That's an 180g re-pressing. I think they repressed all of them in 180g back when they albums were getting the remaster/repackage treatment from Rhino. I have the 180g re-releases of their first two LP's plus that Honey's Dead and I'll probably stop there. Stoned and Dethroned is something I've never seen around here on vinyl, and Automatic absolutely drops off after "Head On."

I would however, probably pay stupid amounts of cash for a vinyl release of Barbed Wire Kisses.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 14, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: JAMC vinyl

I would probably by Stoned and Dethroned in a heartbeat were I to find it in good condition, if only because I love that record so loving much.

Munki for me is hit or miss much like Automatic. The album has a superb first half, but then I get to "Cracking Up" and the uniquely abysmal "Commercial" and I almost start to lose interest. Fortunately, they dropped some stellar tracks at the end to make up for a mundane middle. Unfortunate, that Munki had to be the album for their departure.

Agreed on the Siamese Dream sentiment, as that's mainly why I bought it even if it's potentially unlistenable due to quality of the vinyl.

Is there any other classic rock releases that are must haves on vinyl? I have a smattering of random stuff, but I'm weary of picking up Seminal Classic Rock Album X on vinyl if it's just a nasty 80's repress that will sound like poo poo because the previous owners just used it to chop up lines.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Also, my brother was asking somewhere else about a record he found, called "The Anti-Heroin Project: It's a Live-In World" and whether it's worth anything with the cover, which looks to have been autographed by many artists. I haven't actually looked at it yet to make sure it's actually signed and not printed.

Elvis Costello?

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/vf2bi

I'm not a Costello expert by any means, but while that might be a photo of him cut off in your image I'm not seeing his name in that autograph. Probably a capital E for that first name, but there's definite a large A in the ... last name?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cheapandugly posted:

Awesome COIL Lp

Niiice. How much did you end up paying for this?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Can anyone recommend a go to online store for vintage turntables that's not The Needle Doctor?

Really wish somewhere local in Houston sold this sort of thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have a Thorens TD-125 Mark II Turntable that plays my vinyl. It was given to me when my father-in-law passed, and is pretty much my most favorite possession. The dust cover to this thing has long been lost, well before I inherited it. When we moved to our new house this passed summer, Man Cave 2.0 was thus born.

The house we moved from had a garage apartment, which housed the original interation of Man Cave. This new Man Cave, while it does have a few better aspects lacks the privacy of the original. I've already had to replace the cartridge twice since we moved in thanks to tiny fingers. Neighbors get irritated if I cut them off, so I can only smile and order another one. At something around $70 a pop, it's not a cool thing to do regularly.

Google querying for these dust covers yield this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TURNTABLE-DUST-COVER-THORENS-TD-125-MKII-DUSTCOVER-/150470387121

I desperately need to get a solid cover for the Thorens, but man to me that's an insane price for what is pretty much a glorified piece of sturdy plastic. What do you guys think?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I believe it's been mentioned before, but I not so magically lost track of this thread because I slacked off into real life and catching up was painful, sooooo ...

Is there a definitive answer on the audio quality between say a 7" cut at 45rpm and a 7" at 33 rpm?

I hear some people say that they absolutely hear a difference, and others say unless they were told they wouldn't hear anything off between the two?

My take is that there might be a difference, but it takes some pristine equipment and an optimal listening environment to make a difference.

Opinion? Thoughts?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I saw Cursive last night in Houston and was hard pressed to narrow down their selection to just two LP's, but I ended up with Domestica and The Ugly Organ. I had Kasher sign the back of my Ugly Organ LP, because I'm a nerdy fanboy like that.

Evey better ...

Before the show, I wandered into a new record store down the street from the venue and scored an original copy of New Order's Substance! It's Qwest, and not Factory (which is sort of a downer) but I don't care. That cassette never left my car all through high school, and I can remember buying Technique the day it came out. New Order is the band that made me start paying attention to music and buying records, so to have this in my collection is an excellent way to start the weekend.

Now I'm tempted to seek out the other re-releases they did for their other classic LP's.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CPL593H posted:

It's been said before and I still believe it. Record collectors are pretentious assholes. I'm not excluding myself from that assessment, either.

Is there a difference between a record collector and a person than listens to records?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

WASDF posted:

Yeah. Someone who buys albums just to have them or multiple reissues because of slight differences. Henry Rollins did a good article on record collectors.

Is that online? Got a link? I'd really like to read it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Oh Jesus, I am sooo very tempted with that Geodaddi, but if Mrs. Hatelull found out that I paid $125 for a record I would probably get served raw tofu and olives for the rest of the year as punishment.

Also, I'd be afraid to listen to it.

This brings up a probably unrelated question, but is there a point at which you might pay triple digits for a record and then never actually play it?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I had my daughter's gymnastics thing this morning and then the woman had to shoot the iFest, so my early morning RSD adventure was decidedly shot down. I absolutely regret not having the opportunity to pick up that sexy Burst and Bloom release, and the Mastodon/Feist thing would have been fun. Never the less, I did end up dragging everyone over to a new store in the Heights and picking up two things that had gently caress all to do with RSD.

That Ride album is loving awesome, and Mrs. Hatelull loves that Erasure album so there you have it.

They actually had the T-Rex thing, and maybe a few other of the 45 releases which I only mention because they're a new store and they didn't expect to get anything. Still, I wasn't very interested in the T-Rex and kids were tired and weren't into me meticulously picking through the racks.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It is most definitely a re-release, from last year I believe. However, I love the record enough that I'm happy with any version on vinyl. I'd love to find an original Creation pressing, but I'm scared to think how much that thing goes for these days.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It is highly possible the needle is damaged or has an extreme amount of dust and debris on it. If it looks and appears clean, consider replacing the cartridge?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Could any provide some advice I'm having with a Thorens TD-125. I recently had to replace the belt, and I'm now encountering a lot of slippage. When starting the record up on 33, the belt inevitably slips off the spindle. I can remove the platter and set the belt on the plastic knob, but it will eventually slip back down.

Would applying light sandpaper to the knob create more surface area and give the belt some traction? The turntable is fairly old, and the plastic knob is pretty drat smooth.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I watched the last ATDI record walk out of the store while I was in line to get to the table. That was ... unfortunate. Hopefully, it gets a regular re-release soon. I'm ok if it's sans "Catacombs" because I have it on the Burning Airlines split. I ended up with the Round about Midnight, the Nick Drake record, and an RSD release of /[Deserter's Song's]/ because hot drat I love that album.

So much more I wanted to grab, but I didn't want to totally pillage the checking account lest I get smothered with a pillow in the middle of the night.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

chime_on posted:

That's not Deserter's Songs, it's a bunch of demos and stuff.

You are absolutely right. I blame poor planning on my part and being overwhelmed by the list versus what they had.

However, it's actually pretty OK. That album was such a great thing, that it apparently produced a lot of solid material outside of what ended up on the record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What did you order?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is there no one shot link that displays everything 50% off? That Queens LP is tempting, but I'm not a huuuge fan. I wish they had Dead Meadow vinyl.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I willing admit a soft spot for that Spiritualized LP.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

chime_on posted:

It's the bootleg. The artwork and the font on the label are not correct. The font for the tracklisting should be the same as the font on the album cover (not Courier or whatever), and the artwork behind the text should be predominantly black with flecks of brown and red. The Torso logo on the label should be white-- the boot looks like they took the golden Torso logo from the back cover and pasted it in there.

To put more nails in this coffin, I picked up the exact same boot over the weekend at a local here in Houston. It was straight up labeled as a bootleg limited edition repressing. They also had Horse Rotovator, but I was already four albums in at that point and couldn't commit to number five.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I really hope this isn't going to be another "limited edition RSD release" thing, because holy hell do I want this badly.

http://pitchfork.com/news/53671-spiritualized-beach-house-youth-lagoon-mutual-benefit-the-antlers-make-songs-with-space-sounds/

Pitchfork posted:

Jupiter:

A Porcelain Raft: “Giove”
B The Antlers: “Jupiter”

Miranda:

A Mutual Benefit: “Terraform”
B Anna Meredith: “Miranda”

Neptune:

A The Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program: “Always Together With You (The Bridge Song)”
B The Holydrug Couple: “Amphitrites Lost”

Uranus:

A Youth Lagoon: “Worms”
B Blues Control: “Blues Danube”

Saturn:

A Beach House: “Saturn Song”
B Zomes: “Moonlet”

Earth:

A Absolutely Free: “EARTH I”
B Jesu: “Song of Earth”

Io:

A Benoit & Sergio: “Long Neglected Words”
B Larry Gus: “Sphere of Io (For Georg Cantor)”

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

To step away from RSD for a moment, is there any good reason why Ebay is apparently the only repository for the dust cover I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TURNTABLE-DUST-COVER-THORENS-TD-125-MKII-DUSTCOVER-/160860122006

$150 for what is essentially a large piece of acrylic plastic is borderline ridiculous, but all my google leads back to this one loving ebay seller.

It's going to hurt so much.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Also is that the same table you have, because holy poo poo.

Yes. The branding on the Ebay picture is slightly different, but it appears to be the same model as mine.

Mine has a SURE SME 3009 tone arm.

I inherited claimed the record player and the Yamaha amp it runs through when my father-in-law died several years back. Aside from my wife and daughters, it is one of my most favorite things on this planet.

Non-selfie content:

I usually get burned on RSD, either because of kid events and unable to break away to go hang out in line at a record store for most of a late morning/early afternoon or the usual store I hit up (least amount of "flippers" and they always have free beer and great live bands) doesn't get the one or two things I'm really looking for.

This year, I just want to find this.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 28, 2014

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

Black Mountain - Rollercoaster/In the Drones

All the Black Mountain stuff on vinyl is so excellent. I hope they have new material soon.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ballz posted:

While I love my gimmicks, there's no way in hell I want to go anywhere on Black Friday. Hopefully I'll stumble upon a copy somewhere.

I went to a local last year and it was honestly not a terrible thing at all. Less of a crowd than the regular RSD actually.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not the biggest Dead fan, but that show is my hometown and I hear that '72 was a prolific year for them so that might be interesting. The Afghan Whigs is a must purchase for me, along with the New Order EP. Other than those two necessaries, and one maybe I don't see much that peaks my interest. The Morriseey curates the Ramones thing might be fun, but only because I sadly do not have any Ramones on vinyl. I wish I liked picture discs more.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mine too, which is super unfortunate because it's such an excellent record otherwise. I hope they re-release it with better quality. At least the other LP's (Burst Apart and this year's Familiars are solid.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

iluvpr0n posted:

In other news, the Record Store Day official release list came out (here's a PDF). It looks like I can resist pretty much all this, so I'll be keeping my money! :wave:

I found myself mildly interested in some of the RSD "First" stuff at the bottom, but really what does that even mean? I might look for that Mondays record and the Hold Steady thing but other than a hopefully 180g re-release of Strange Days hush, I dig that band even with the all the pretention and overplayed stigma there is gently caress all I want to seek out.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

$10, good bargain imo.

A co-worker gave me that because he heard "I like records." It's still sitting on a shelf in my office as a gee-jaw. I can't bring myself to listen to it because man, the triple whammy of ska, reel big fish, and cherry poppin' daddies is too much for me. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

No Egrets posted:

So my local record store was having a Saint Patrick's Day sale on vinyl. I was flipping through the miscellaneous section when I found this gem:

Also, what are people's experiences with record store day? I've heard a few horror stories from friends.

In my opinion, it all depends on where you go. Example, in Houston Cactus Records is the people's favorite record store. It gets the majority of press and they have a constant calendar of in-store dates. Lines queue up for RSD outside that shop at ridiculously early hours and chances are the super popular stuff (rare Flaming Lips releases, Jack White stuff, something by the Arctic Monkeys) will go quickly. Furthermore, I've seen a few local grumblings that a lot of the people that camp Cactus to get in early end up flipping the stuff on eBay but I'm sure that happens all over. In contrast, Height's Vinyl will open at the same time but the lines are incredibly manageable (ten minutes until they open and there's maybe 15 people waiting outside). The caveat is that this store is relatively new and might not get everything on the list whereas Cactus manages to get everything in at least some quantity.

I've had good times at Heights Vinyl, showing up a little before 11 and buying some records and drinking free beer. Lots of stores though, you can do that on any given weekend.

Short version: RSD is what you make of it. You can set yourself up for an awful time, or take it as a fun day to maybe enjoy some live in-store music, drink beer, and hopefully buy a record or two.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dogen posted:

Replace "Cactus" with "Waterloo" and "Heights Vinyl" with "Breakaway Records" and this is basically Austin.

I haven't been to Breakaway yet, I'll need to check that out. Last time I was in your city (shortly after the Black Friday RSD) I went to End of an Ear for the first time in years. I forgot how much I enjoyed that shop.

Someone with more time motivation than me should start a Local Record Store Mega Thread, and we can compile our favorites throughout this our land of grass, cows, and Dairy Queens.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

SeXReX posted:

What's the opinion on replacement styluses?

I've specifically got a shure 5x that needs replacing and it looks like options are 15 for a mystery part and 30 for one from lpgear.

Is lp gear generally a trusted source for replacements?

I typically use The Needle Doctor.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I DO want some cookies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Black Mountain does not disappoint.