Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I have a bad premonition that Phil Collins is gonna die very soon, so I'm swooping up as many Genesis albums as I can before he croaks and the price for everything skyrockets.

Coming in the mail next week:

- Trespass (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Nursery Cryme (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Foxtrot (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Selling England By The Pound (EMI 100 Series)
- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (ATCO SD 2-401)
- Wind & Wuthering (Nippon RJ-7201)

I did that with Tim Curry's albums after I saw a photo of him from this past October. I was kinda half looking for them when I went to the used record shops so I could have the thrill of the hunt, so to speak. But after that photo I hit up Discogs for the two I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Boinks posted:

Holy crap, I think I just found someone's holy grail records just sitting in the bin of usual stuff at Goodwill.

Wow, that's one hell of a find! I am legit jealous. I've pretty much given up on ever owning those two albums on vinyl.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

She's gotta get herself fans like BTS has who will buy multiple copies of an album just to keep it in the charts.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

My Lovely Horse posted:

bundling a record with a grinder and lighter and papers would be a pretty pro move

Heck, throw in a dimebag, why not. Just tape it to the download card.

e: grinder that goes on the spindle and serves as a record weight and you just hold the lid in place

caligulamprey posted:

I'm always down for novelty rolling papers.

I was gonna say the Reptaliens had a Bandcamp-only bundle of their latest that was the vinyl and branded rolling papers. Looks like it's becoming a thing now.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Hot drat! Thanks for this. I already have 1.Outside on vinyl but all the others (except Buddha and Toy) I only have on CD and for that price I can't say no.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

sporklift posted:

It was probably pressed in the thousands and being one of Bowie's least popular eras it didnt move as well as the other earlier sets. All my stuff has shipped so i shall report back when they show up.

If we're going by that then they'll be giving away Tin Machine boxed sets.

Real talk tho I haven't got my shipping notification yet, but my sale was #420 and if they sold 538 as someone else noted, I'm guessing they have their hands full processing orders at the moment.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Shiftypenguin posted:

Real talk tho I haven't got my shipping notification yet, but my sale was #420 and if they sold 538 as someone else noted, I'm guessing they have their hands full processing orders at the moment.

Got my shipping notice for the Bowie box set. Should be here Monday.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

hexwren posted:

for me, this bowie box is actually stuff I like and will listen to, along with stuff I would like to hear that I haven't gotten a chance to yet.

hours is absolutely one of my favorites of his
outside and earthling aren't quite on that level, but I like them
I somehow have never gotten around to black tie, so here's my chance
I have no actual idea what the buddha of suburbia is
I haven't heard the BBC session, but I have watched his glastonbury appearance that was like three days earlier, and it's completely ace, definitely going to spin that on the semi-regular
I downloaded an earlier, leaked version of toy years back, before he died, even and am interested to hear this version, which is slightly different in its track listing (the version being passed around back then included a couple tracks that were rerecorded for heathen - afraid and an early version of slip away under the title uncle floyd)

Buddha was music he did for a TV adaptation of the novel. It was long out of print until recently.

The BBC session is amazing and was previously only available in a condensed version on a special edition box set of his early 70s BBC recordings. It rocked even in the condensed version and I can't wait to hear the full concert.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Got my Bowie box set today and the box had the corner bashed in something fierce. Thankfully the packed it with the foam supports and the box set itself was unscathed.

I'm still in disbelief about the deal I got on this thing. Now after all these years I have a completed Bowie studio album collection (over both CD and vinyl) as Buddha was the only one I was never able to get.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I have over 300 according to my Discogs list and I'm quickly running out of space. It doesn't help I'm a TMR Vault subscriber and those sets on average take up a lot of space. If I mooved those I'd have much more space in my current setup.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
So I missed the fact that the Violent Femmes RSD offering is a picture disc, so that's a big no go and I'll just pick up the regular version of that album sometime down the road.

Now that just leaves the Dismemberment Plan release this Saturday. Otherwise I'm good since the Sparks offerings are just "RSD first" releases.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Schremp Howard posted:

I just want that Dismemberment Plan reissue of Change because that album rips and hasn’t had a good copy available in forever.

Same. I'm debating actually going out tomorrow AM or just waiting for it to hit Discogs/eBay.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

BigFactory posted:

I got the bowie box in. It’s really heavy. But pretty nicely done. I had forgotten how terrible the album art is for the BBC sessions. Now it’s even bigger!

Yeah, it uses, like, five or six fonts and has a LOT going on everywhere else. HOURS is really poorly designed too.

At least the music is good. The version of Cracked Actor on that album is amazing with Earl Slick's perfectly raunchy guitar tone.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 22, 2023

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I was able to grab a copy of the Dismemberment Plan's RSD offering just now off Discogs for retail price, so I no longer have to deal with the crowds tomorrow. I feel the $6 extra I had to pay to have it shipped is worth it.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I did the waiting in line thing for RSD once and that was enough for me. I didn't like the mad rush into the store and the craziness of people ripping stuff off the shelves right before others took it. Not my scene. Honestly I don't see a point to RSD anymore as vinyl/record stores have made a real comeback as the day intended and now it's just a collection of artificially scarce albums and stress.

BigFactory posted:

It looks like album art I would have made for a cd-r bootleg. At least hours was intended to have the funny cd case that made the picture change. Both good albums though. Y2K bowie ftw.

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about the old Hours packaging. I don't think it's been used since the initial release.

But yeah, the cover art is directly inverse to the music quality there. The 2000 BBC concert is still my favorite live album of his and having the full show now makes me incredibly happy.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2023

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Turbinosamente posted:

I got up late and therefore rolled in the afternoon to RSD and got 3 things from it and 3 things from the dollar bins. Sparks was sold out by the time I was there, but I'm not too worried about it. Got the last copy of the Sword, mostly because it's annoying to find that band on vinyl, Behind the Dykes 3 is more of a completionist purchase, and Motorhead because I am a basic bitch who doesn't have many of their albums anyways. Though if the rest of the songs on Psyche France 8 are as good as what was posted, maybe I shouldn't have passed it up. I found Volume 6 very disappointing and am slightly worried that Behind the Dykes 3 was a waste as these psych comps are veering more and more into pop territory as they continue to mine out the gems, which isn't really my jam.

The Sparks album rereleases were "RSD first" so they'll be widely available soon enough. While the first two albums are nice, I wish they'd do a standard rerelease of Angst in My Pants already.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

CPL593H posted:

A lot of that stuff is collecting dust in boomer basements and garages despite that they haven't owned a working turntable since Reagan was in office because they have "sentimental value". But mostly it's just that anything popular or famous gets snatched up fast whether it's in a record store, flea market or thrift store often even when it's completely trashed. Patience is key in this hobby unless you want to pay absurd premiums.

My father-in-law is like that. He's got a ton of records in the basement in storage. I asked if I could borrow them on a semi-perminant basis since I'd listen to them and keep them safe. I was told no because "he still listens to them." He most definitely does not and his record player has been unplugged with stuff piled on top of it for at least 12 years.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

JAMOOOL posted:

was gonna wait to get a copy before I heard it (outside of the advance singles, which rule) and it turns out my local shop won't stock it because they'd have to charge $40 for it? even looking online, you can't find it for less than $35 + shipping, and it's only a single LP. I wonder what's going on there, I know records have gotten expensive lately but even still new LPs generally sit in the $25-30 range, 35-40 if it's a double.

That's what has prevented me from buying it too. That's bonkers for a single LP. I paid $25 for the variant edition of their previous album. I'm guessing them being back on Island has something to do with the price jump.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Record printing mishaps are always fun. Thanks to that I have 2 different shades of purple copies of Cracker Island for the price of 1

That happened with They Might Be Giants and their My Murdered Remains vinyl. They accidentally printed a side from one of their other albums on side B, so they sent everyone who ordered the vinyl MMR a corrected copy free of charge. I got the email then all of a sudden the replacement record arrived a few days later.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 29, 2023

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed Link Wray and the live MC5 album.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

bagina posted:

FYI The Sound of Vinyl is having a flat 30% sale. Grabbed a couple things that I was waiting for a sale.

They still haven't shipped my "free" Eddie Veddar Ukulele Songs yet. :(

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

IUG posted:

I got half of my first free albums, the second order of free albums today, but they still haven’t shipped the second half of the first order yet.

I just got an email from them about production delays on my order, so your's is probably in the same boat.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

sporklift posted:

Has anyone received their LITA orders from that last sale? Were the records warped?

I did and yeah, both were slightly warped.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

hexwren posted:

It's the Stones for me, but yeah, I could swear I heard someone else (might have been you) earlier in the thread talking about how something hadn't shipped, so otherwise, I'd be a bit more nervous than I am.

They sent me an email on my order saying they were having production issues on a number of titles.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2024/1/7/waiting-in-the-sky-vinyl-lp-for-rsd-2024

The David Bowie camp has been getting pretty tacky with their releases, I must say. And now, we’re getting another version of Ziggy Stardust, but with a few of the songs replaced with other readily available songs. Because you know, you have to hear this album with Holy Holy instead of Suffragette City.

Yeah, that... seems pointless. I'd rather have a nice vinyl version of the anniversary edition they released a few years ago with all those other songs on a second LP. They're quite decent for B-sides, but there's no need for an off-the-cuff 'alternate" Ziggy album.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Cemetry Gator posted:

If there’s something you really want, check online after the fact too. RSD at this point is like the Collectors Edition of collecting.

That's what I do now. I learned that with a little patience I can get the ones I want at retail price from Discogs or eBay within a week of RSD.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Oh hey, that "free" Eddie Veddar album from that Sounds of Vinyl promotion last year finally shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Ballz posted:

Completely skipped this RSD. I didn’t see anything that stood out as must-owns and it seems more and more RSD releases don’t quickly sell out and can be found for like, half the price a month or so later on discogs.

It’s really been trending in this direction for a few years now. I kind of miss the old days but on the other hand I’m at a point in life where I appreciate a good night’s sleep.

I stopped going in person because I'd rather get a decent night's sleep versus getting up rear end early and standing in line for hours, only to not get the releases I wanted because the store only got one copy and it sold out before I even get inside the door.

Nowadays I'm firmly subscribed to the "wait for discogs" method of RSD buying.