Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farts Domino posted:

45s may seem stupid in today's album-oriented world, but a lot of us prefer the format because of all the great artists that never cut a full-length album, as well as the low price point that lets you discover new things with little financial risk. Again, though, everybody's got their own reasons for liking it.

I grew up in the 70s and still have nearly every album and 45 I ever bought. Forty-fives were great if you only liked that one song by that artist. I remember paying anywhere from $.69 - $.99 for them (not unlike today's downloadable singles).

One neat thing about 45s is the "DJ played the wrong side and it became a hit" stories (see "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam and "The Horse" by Cliff Nobles and Company, for example).

I was always fascinated by the label art on 45s. Some of my favorites are Atlantic's black & red label, the Motown "map", Atco's yellow & white, and Jet Records' spotlight labels. I'm also a sucker for colored vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Farts Domino posted:

favorite 45 label, though for the rest of their releases it got much more boring:

(Fire was definitely a cool label too, and usually good enough songs to back it up)

That label is on the front page of this site.

This site is pretty informative, too (not the best looking site).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheForgotton posted:

I'm very new to the LP game. A few months back, I was given a promo copy of a gorgeous picture disc from White Orange.

I have no idea who this group is, but that is a cool disc.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

hay guys i found these rare vinyls today

they are in mint condition too

There's nothing wrong with either of these albums.

Man, Frampton is wasted.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Get a shoebox for 7"s and build a shelf or get those 5 dollar record boxes and use dividers or something.

The "short" comic storage boxes work great for 45s. I cut a couple of inches off the top, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheForgotton posted:

What would be recommended for replacement inner sleeves? This looks to be well reviewed but seems a bit on the pricy side.

Those are going to drive you nuts trying to get them in the cover without the edges folding over. Look for polylined paper sleeves. More expensive, but worth the money. I've used them for albums and laserdiscs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Wilbur Swain posted:

I know, right? Digital playback is so much more intuitive, what with the lasers and the binary numbers and whatnot.

:smug:

http://www.elpj.com/

Wish I could afford one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

i am a bee posted:

Do the record stores you guys visit normally let you see the records first or is that an assholish thing to ask? I'm shifting to mainly buying new/reissues, but I've bought a couple of things pre-owned (Echoes by the Rapture, Q:Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo and Purple Rain) that have a couple of minor skips I can live with but I'd rather not have every used record I buy be a compromise. Is that just the nature of the game? The guy at the store is nice and gives discount, but I've been a little unlucky.

Most places I've been to let you look at the disc before you buy it and will even play it for you to make sure they don't skip.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

RizieN posted:

Im gonna see if my wife will let us add a second mortgage so I can snag one.

I'm sure the both of you can get by on one kidney apiece.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, Fleetwood Mac is an amazing band, and their work deserves more recognition. I mean, they always had amazing songs, and incredible pop-craftmanship. Tusk, for instance, isn't just sunny pop, it also draws from New Wave influences and punk, and come on, even "Go Your Own Way" is an incredible kiss-off anthem.

And if you aren't convinced, listen to this and believe in the power of the Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZltCtkedk

If you're going to get into FM, then don't overlook the early 70s stuff after the Chicago blues era, but before the Buckingham/Nicks era. There's lots of good stuff like Bare Trees and Penguin. I love Christine McVie's work. She's far superior to Nicks in nearly every way.

e: hosed up coding

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 7, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh trust me. I absolutely love the song "Sentimental Lady," which has a great opening line: "You are here and warm, but I could look away and you'd be gone." It's a brilliant love-song line in the same vein as "I may not always love you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCUJgnVg3o

Here's Christine doing "Remember Me" live.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
How often do you guys run across older sealed LPs?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

plogo posted:

A lot.

There's no record stores left in Savannah (I think) and I just need one more sealed ELO album (ELO II) to complete my collection. I've yet to see one on ebay or even GEMM.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

The other problem with old sealed LPs is that if you open it and it's defective, there's gently caress all you can do about it. At least with used LPs you can check the condition and with new stuff you can return defective items. Plus, you'll likely be paying a premium for it. This is actually why a lot of collectors stay away from vintage sealed LPs.

I already have all of ELO's albums on vinyl & CD. I'd just like to have a set of sealed ones.

Never heard of Graveface, but I'll be sure to check them out.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
For fans of 45 label art, I give you this:

http://centerofattention.me/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

Thanks for the link, I really liked that!

On a smilar vein, and it has been posted in this thread before, The Exotica Project has 100 exotica 45s and thier labels. Also check out the Lonely Beat site.
http://exoticaproject.com/

Here's another one:

http://www.norelevance.com/current-exhibits/45-rpm-record-label-designs/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Surfingelectrode posted:

Styx and Split Enz both put out records in the 80s with playable etchings. I'm not sure why TMR are touting this as an innovation.

Styx - Paradise Theater. I have this one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

Even back in the heyday of vinyl, picture discs were acknowledged as being inferior.

They're just to look at, really.

As for colored vinyl (or, in this case, lack of color), I bought Bowie's Sound and Vision clear vinyl box set. I put the first album on the turntable, hit play, and nothing happened. I figured, poo poo, my turntable just died. It took me a minute to figure out the sensors couldn't read the disc because it was clear. :doh:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

This site will tell you which version of Introducing... The Beatles you have.

I picked up a Mono Cover Version II with "Please, Please Me" for $2 at a yard sale about 20 years ago.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
A local church was having a yard sale, so I figured, what the heck, I'll stop in. Usually the vinyl is tons of Lawrence Welk and Ray Conniff Singers or those dusty old box sets from the 50s of scratched up classical music. I got these for a buck each:

Donna Summer - Live and More (1978). Both discs are perfect.

Sanford-Townsend Band - Smoke From a Distant Fire (1977) (actually a re-issue of their self-titled debut). How 70s can you get?

Robert Redford - The Language and Music of the Wolves (1971). Kinda odd for me, but why not?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Some other recent grabs. That copy of Tusk still has the original shrink-wrap and a $12.99 sticker from loving Caldor (you old Nor'easter goons know what I'm talking about).

Plastic Letters is my favorite Blondie album. It only runs about 34 minutes, but it's all fantastic stuff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Vinyl? Who needs vinyl when you can make a record out of ice?

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671478/a-record-made-of-ice-that-actually-plays

Only 10 kits to make the record were made.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

Maybe a completest SW collector who found one in a generic sleeve?

The single was included in JS' Gold in a plain paper sleeve.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

Eh, Tattoo You was alright...

Considering it was made up of mostly old material, it was okay. Some Girls is excellent. Try to find a first printing with the original cover.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

You mean the sleeve that comes out so you can change the faces?

Yes. Some of the celebrities sued and their faces had to be removed on subsequent releases.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

I never knew that. I just pulled out my copy and it appears that I have the first pressing.

If it's got Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe, then it's a first pressing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

Don't bother. That's when they started getting lovely.

You can pretty much stop with Emotional Rescue.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

alg posted:

HOLY gently caress Y'ALL

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/03/vangelis-blade-runner-soundtrack-receives-vinyl-reissue/

:eyepop:

edit: VVV: yeah I have wanted this for a long time, so excited :unsmith:

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a copy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Is anybody else who ordered the Blade Runner soundtrack from Amazon getting this:

Amazon posted:

Vangelis "Blade Runner Original Soundtrack (180g Translucent Red Vinyl)"
Estimated arrival date: May 03, 2013 - May 07, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

Yet another reason why I don't order records from Amazon.com. I got it from soundstage direct with free shipping and its already on the way.

I don't remember the last album I bought new. Had to be over 25 years ago. I usually don't have a problem with Amazon otherwise.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

realbez posted:

Edit: and amazon won't deliver to po boxes! So if I order from them it has to go to my parents house. But most places will.

Where are you located? I'm in the US and everything I've ever ordered from them was delivered to my PO box (except a few 3rd party items).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I finally got my Blade Runner soundtrack today from Amazon. There was a slight dent in the upper right hand corner and the inner sleeve has a small split on one side, but it survived the trip quite well otherwise.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

To be fair, the soundtrack was the most profitable part of the entire venture. But I kind of like the movie too. The ELO side is passable as ELO.

Jeff Lynne didn't particularly care for it either and he wrote it! He did re-record the title track for the Flashback box set.

The Olivia Newton-John half is barely listenable. And I like Olivia Newton-John (childhood crush, don't you know).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Philthy posted:

I preordered the Vangelis Blade Runner Soundtrack way back when on Amazon. I got an email today they are still looking to fulfill my order.

The hell, didnt this come out weeks ago?

Mine was delayed about 3-4 weeks, but I did finally get it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cloks posted:

Here's an interesting article about a guy who makes his own white-hot stampers.

Seriously though, it's about a man who re-releases classical music from the 50's and 60's on vinyl with excessive detail paid to the minutiae of the entire package.

:stonk:

Okay, now THAT'S a bit too much.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

What do you guys do with soundtracks? I was thinking of lumping them together too.

I put them under "S" and then alpha by title. Same with various artist compilations (except under "V").

Also, Garfield laughs at you.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I was in Target the other day and they had a few albums for sale. $28 for Abbey Road? I don't think so.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anyone have a reccomendation for cheap 45 storage? I happened upon a ton of them from the 70s, but they're all crammed in a tiny box, and I'd prefer something a little more open.

I keep mine in cut-down comic short boxes. Just slice off a couple on inches from the top and there you go.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BigFactory posted:

That being said, Billy Joel kinda stinks. Like, not Eagles level stink, but he's the lovely kind of classic rock format garbage. He's the opposite of Chicago, which is the good kind of classic rock format garbage. To bring this back around, a few weeks ago I found a mint copy of Chicago IV at a thrift shop. Just records, no box and posters, but it looks like it was never played.

Joel went off my radar when he tried to get "serious". Love Glass Houses, though. The Eagles were fine until The Long Run. That massively sucked. One of the first CDs I ever bought was Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. It was, at the time, one of the best-sounding CDs I'd ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BigFactory posted:

And I don't know what to tell you about the Eagles. I've never gotten the appeal. Especially their hits.

I guess you had to grow up in the 70s. Or something.

"Take It to the Limit" is my favorite Eagles' song and it wasn't written by Henley or Frey. A fact that probably still pisses them off.

Eagles trivia: Randy Meisner (who wrote the above tune) was briefly in another Southern California band, Poco. He got the boot from that band and was replaced by Timothy B. Schmidt. He later joined the Eagles. When he left, he was replaced by, yes, Timothy B. Schmidt.