Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Abu Dave posted:

What are the albums on the bottom row?

Neon Neon - Days of Lead EP
Bjork - Telegram (not a RSD release but I found it at the store cheap)
DEVO / Flaming Lips split 7"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Went back to my local store today and scored the last copy of this:

The packaging is kinda flimsy but my inner nerd loves the whole concept behind the release. And the music is great, too.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Bought the LCD Soundsystem live box and an original copy of Velvet Underground at Max's Kansas City today:

The LCD box has to be one of the nicest LP box sets I've ever seen. It's obvious that a lot of love and care went into putting the whole package together. And the music itself sounds fantastic.

The only annoying thing is that the sides are split for DJs with two turntable setups, so it's split up like this:

Record 1 side a
Record 2 side b
Record 1 side c
Record 2 side d
Record 3 side e
Record 4 side f
Record 5 side g
Record 3 side h
Record 4 side i
Record 5 side j

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

That'll be the centerpiece of Wayne Coyne's nonstop attention whoring.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Paging Surfingelectrode

Nah, I'm at the point where I straight up hate the guy.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

To be honest I think the artwork on ~90% of these soundtrack reissues that keep coming out have been pretty ugly. Just give me the (iconic) poster artwork and not some other poo poo...

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Doctor Cave posted:

The only movie 'soundtrack' I own is Purple Rain :getin:

You gotta pick up Parade, the soundtrack to Under the Cherry Moon. That album is probably one of Prince's best.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Elrobot posted:

Can(non RSD)

Want that so badly. Or at least a nice reissue of Tago Mago.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Some records I've bought recently:

Goblin - Zombi OST
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Kelis - Food
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs (original press)

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low-End Theory
School of Seven Bells - Put Your Sad Down EP
The Moles - Flashbacks and Dream Sequences: The Story of the Moles
Grace Jones - Living My Life

I've been wanting that Dawn of the Dead OST for the longest time so when I finally ran into a copy today (a new reissue) I had to get it. It was way more than I would've liked to pay for a single LP, but oh well.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Got my Gruff Rhys - American Interior box set in yesterday! Came with the album (which also came with a map insert and a CD), a shirt, signed print and a 12" EP and room for two more 12"s that are going to be coming out and sent later in the year.

The album is great and the whole story behind it is pretty fascinating. Worth checking out.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted that, but I think it almost came out to $200 with the conversion rate and shipping. I'm really envious

I think I wound up paying around $130 total? It was more than what I had wanted to spend but I love Gruff and just had to get it.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

I just bought it because I can't forgive myself if I don't. The total worked out to be $137... gently caress.

I will say that the shipping company that they're using is ridiculously fast which kind of justifies the shipping cost that they're charging for the three deliveries. I got my box set literally a couple of days after they sent it from the UK and I live in Florida.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

Hey, I'm in Florida so that's good to hear. If it weren't for my wife, I would've ordered it sooner. I'm probably hosed if she sees it come in.

Haha, yeah, I had to sell some records I didn't really need to be able to justify spending the money on it.

Just for the hell of it and because I'd been meaning to post it earlier, here's all of my SFA and related records:

Just really need Gruff's other two albums, Mwng and Out Spaced but the latter seems pretty hard to find.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I've sold records to Henry Rollins on Discogs a few times before. Cool guy.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Hey goons, here's some stuff I've bought lately:

Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Giorgio Moroder - Midnight Express OST
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Conveyor - Prime
Iggy and the Stooges - Metallic KO
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
The Clash - Combat Rock (was sealed OG press)
Sleater-Kinney - One Beat
The Wild Wild West OST (it was like a dollar, okay?)

Didn't realize that Prime was A/D B/C and accidentally listened to the beginning and the end without hearing any of the middle. Oof.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

1000 umbrellas posted:

I'm glad that you at least noticed the odd sequencing. By the way, just to make things more confusing, the pressing plant hosed up and put the labels for record 1 on record 2 and vice versa, rendering the symbolic labeling system represented on the back of the jacket MOOT. At least, this has been the case for all the copies that I've opened and checked personally. Interested to know if yours is, in fact, correct. We're in the process of planning a larger repress for next year that will correct this error, but because I've always appreciated your guys' support in this thread, I'm letting you know here, now!

Thanks for listening and supporting :)

Nope, the labels are switched on mine, too and Theme VII is at the beginning of side 3 instead of the end of side 2 like the back says. I had to use the digital download to figure out which side was which. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but both of my records also came covered in scratches. It doesn't skip or anything, but it's pretty noisy. I sent the label an email and the guy said he'd send me a new copy in a month when he gets settled in after the move, so that's cool at least.

I remember checking out the first album when it first came out and not really liking it, but I thought the concept behind this one was really cool (and I love THX1138) so I had to order it. I went back last night and gave the self-titled another listen and really liked it this time around so I went ahead and ordered copies of that and the Sun Ray EP. Pretty psyched to get those, so thanks for the good music!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I don't think he means the shrink wrap. There some album covers that have this weird laminate that tends to peel off from age.

Yeah, but the Duran Duran record he posted a picture of is just still in its original shrinkwrap.

Stuff I bought over the past couple of days:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (original US first press)
Joy Division - Closer (original UK first press on red vinyl)
Wire - Pink Flag (original US first press)
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (original US first press)
Tears For Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World (US reissue with the kick cover)

Those first four punk records are all pretty much completely mint and look and sound amazing. Local store is killing it.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

:stare: dear god, this makes me feel so much worse about what I bought today. That's a loving incredible haul.

Though hey, turns out the version of Rio I bought has the best mixes, and Madonna's s/t has some dope tracks, so I guess it's not all bad but gently caress

I guess this is what I get for stopping at my local store on a Sunday afternoon instead of a random weekday, all their good poo poo was gone by then. At least everything I got had been sitting around for months so it was like $6 at most

The first Duran Duran album is still my favorite, but Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger totally have some huge jams on them.

As far as shrinkwrap goes, I always leave it on new records that are just in single-pocket jackets unless it's crazy tight and is going to mess up the sleeve and record over time. Jon Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees actually showed me a trick to doing it by rubbing the opening on your jeans back and forth really fast at a show I went to a few years ago, so I just do that if I don't have a razor handy.

Here's a photo of that stuff from my last post with some other new stuff I forgot to mention:

The Prodigy record is I guess the reissue that came out like a year ago? I got it used for $10, so hey why not?

The two Joy Division records have the weird variant sleeves... usually Unknown Pleasures has a textured sleeve and Closer has a rough one, but the first US pressing of the former was on a standard thick cardboard one and I guess a bunch of original UK copies of Closer just came in a normal sleeve. Weird but kinda cool? I'm so used to seeing Unknown Pleasures in that textured sleeve that it's kind of a mindfuck to have a copy where it's not.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 20, 2014

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's some stuff I picked up today. lovely Instagram pic but oh well:

The Gun Club - Fire of Love (OG French pressing)
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters (OG US pressing with booklet)
The Slits - Cut (OG US pressing)
Luxury Mane - Gold Standard (Local band)
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (1977 reissue)
Mick Ronson - Slaughter on 10th Avenue
Electric Wurms - Transform!!! flexi
and a bunch of Prince and Run DMC 7"s the guy from my local store gave me for free

Never actually heard the Gun Club or Slits records before but I really dig them. Gotta check out some more Gun Club stuff soon.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's a bunch of stuff I've bought over the past month or so that I've been meaning to post:

Benjamin Booker - s/t (local hometown hero)
Beyond the Black Rainbow OST
Brian Eno - Ambient 4
Can - Tago Mago + Ege Bamyasi (reissues)
Courtney Barnett - A Sea of Split Peas
Crime - Murder By Guitar
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (60s press)
FKA Twigs - LP1
Gun Club - Miami
Jill Jones - s/t
Kraftwerk - Autobahn (Australian pressing)
Missy Elliott - The Cookbook
Neil Hamburger - America's Funnyman
Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi
Nina Hagen Band - s/t
Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream (UK press)
Smokey and the Bandit OST
Surf Nazis Must Die! OST
Television - Marquee Moon (1st press)
Ty Segall - Manipulator (black vinyl version but I got it signed at his show the other night)

And the Beatles mono box but I was too lazy to take a picture of all of those. Pretty blown away by how nice they all look and sound other than the booklet in my copy of Magical Mystery Tour coming ripped out of the spine, but I guess that's just part of the ~authenticity~. Oh and they kinda botched the locked groove on Sgt Pepper which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Possibly Chicken posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Daddy kool was great. Probably the best new selection I've seen at a store.

Planet retro and the banana warehouse were closed today so no luck there.

Bananas main shop is fun. It's nothing special but still nice to look around in.

Also went to one shop on the Tampa side that was okay but wouldn't let you take records out of dust covers. Tampa is a loving shithole compared to st Pete anyways.

Daddy Kool is like the worst. Every single record they sell is marked up at least $5-10 over retail. Mojo in Tampa and Planet Retro in St Pete are probably the two best stores in the area.