Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Here's Red. Here's the player-edited Red 1.1, optionally. Here are delicious icon sets for Evil, Red and Rubicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
All the changes between the original and the edit are here.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Marathon is great for co-op.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Anal Volcano posted:

So, um, I tried Marathon.

a) This poo poo is terrifying. Super loving claustrophobic, weird-rear end-lookin' enemies. Not a good mix for me.
b) The addition of the Pathways Into Darkness bit into the first level of the Marathon conversion for Aleph One was pretty silly. I hope there's nothin' else added like that in the game.
c) Mouse control feels horrible, like there's some crazy acceleration going on.
d) poo poo is really glitchy. I used the teleporter in the first level (which took me by surprise and gave me another near-heart attack), but it hosed up while going to level 2, and ended up in a tiny little window on my desktop that I couldn't do any input into. Had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

Definitely interesting, but gah. Any fixes for the mouse control or glitches?

b) Long story short, it's a load of retarded nonsense that doesn't belong there. Plug this in immediately so you never have to put up with it again.

c) There may well be acceleration going on. Go into your settings and adjust your mouse sensitivity until it feels right.

d) I've never heard of this issue before. My first recommendation would be to update to 1.0b2, if you haven't already. If that doesn't fix it, ask here. Be as descriptive as possible and upload the contents of your prefs file.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Aside form a select few levels, you can really barge all the Marathon games like twin marauders of death. It's very fun. The only real hang ups are some of the puzzles (which in general M2 and Inf are better at, but M1 has 'colony ship for sale cheap,' though ironically that piee of poo poo might be tolerable with co-op, one working the switches the other checking to see if they can make it..) M1 might be a little cramped for some co-op, it wasn't designed with it in mind, but the other two were.

I don't know when you last played M1A1, but that puzzle is one of the most notable changes. The platforms all lock themselves in at the right height without any adjusting.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
I definitely disagree that A1 is hostile to improvements. Just the OpenGL shaders and the addition of glowmaps to textures has resulted in worlds of improvement, at least visually. Look at this.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Keep your ears open, nightly builds might become a thing again. Maybe.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Anal Volcano posted:

And, finally, I don't think this game has quick save. I guess the maps were built with checkpoints in them, but come on. Especially with as many bugs as I've seen in ~10 minutes of playing.

Quicksaving is a silly thing to complain about. And as the only person apparently having all these bugs, you should really be reporting them so that something can be done.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
For the sake of getting things done, those interested should join irc.freenode.net #alephone to discuss the problems and bugs you're having with the actual developers.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
For visual appeal, some juicy high-res icons for the Marathon trilogy.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

I tried to read one of those, but they kept referring to the demons as "Freds," called them aliens, and said cacodemons looked like pumpkins (they obviously look like TOMATOES, man), and I just couldn't do it.

The Freds came later, they were their own kind of thing.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Me and a bunch of other people in the SA goons chat were trying to set up a marathon 1 coop game but it failed miserably.
Can we get some help and pointers on how to get it working?
:(

Details would help. What version do you all have? Latest release is 0.23.3.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Some rather pretty things are happening to Marathon, texture-wise.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Vertigus posted:

Is that parallax mapping?

It is. The entire high-res set's getting revamped. Originals on top, high-res 1.0 in the middle, current high-res 2.0 progress beneath.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Aleph One has updated to 1.0.1.

Aleph One posted:

Fixed launching on 64-bit Macs running Mac OS X 10.5
Fixed menu centering on monitors with aspect ratio narrower than 4:3
Fixed a crash in Netscript games with the XBLA HUD active
Lua additions: MonsterType.attacks_immediately, .cannot_be_dropped, .major, .minor, and .waits_with_clear_shot
Fixed a typo in Lua compatibility script
Fixed display of high characters in player names in XBLA HUD
Fixed crash in carnage messages when someone gets a fusion overload kill
Fixed Marathon 2 HD BoB hard death graphics
Updates to texture documentation
Draw multiple uplink chips in Marathon HUD

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Some glorious new gleam comes to Marathon Infinity with a completely revamped water set.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Apparently Blauwe Vingers got released a while back. Possibly the most ambitious Aleph One game there is, it does things with the engine no one else ever has, turning it into a prodigious FPS RPG. The only downside is that it's only in Dutch.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Some Blue Fingers impressions so far.

Everything looks excellent and it's fun just looking around the levels even when there's no combat going on. The big compasses are level exits, get your exploring in before you get close to them.

I have no idea what the plot is; angry red men are attacking me and my happy blue men.

Everything seems to have very little health, an arrow or two tends to put a guy down quite nicely. I'm being handed a lot of weapons but mostly I just stick with the daggers, they're great for stunlocking.

They seem to be going the M1 route with water: If it looks deep enough to swim, don't.

At one point it offered me a choice of two different level exits so it seems there'll definitely be replayability.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Revised impressions: It's really short, really easy and really incomplete. It has a lot of potential, at least. :ohdear:

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

I'm saddened because the one guy in this thread still talking about Marathon is playing Blauwe Vigners of all things and not my scenario instead. Marathon: Phoenix

I'm getting around to it! Strange foreign things always seem more interesting than English things. :ohdear:

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Consider having a poke at Weland first. At the very least, you won't be paying money for scanny jank.

Aorta and ShapeFusion too, if you decide to get ritzy.

Ijuuin Enzan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 20, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Derek's graphics are gorgeous as always. I just wish this guy would get a proper editor and maybe crank down on the silly anime powerups.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Following along in turn, the Infinity Lava Set 2.0 is ready for your admiration.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Some preliminary experimental lua-based lighting going on in Aleph One.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Because I'd love to play Marathon but the controls are just impossible to deal with as is.

I've never seen a difference between Doom controls and Marathon controls.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Mman posted:

some hitscan enemies in particular are pretty ridiculous

Hitscan is not a thing that belongs in Marathon.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
So I was busy eating the path when I came across this,which as it turns out is apparently a miniature and semi-incomplete version of the final product. So I want to know if there's a full version online somewhere.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I will give you that there got to be some arbitrary puzzles in the sequels, one of the last puzzles in Riven is pretty stupid hard and almost requires you to look it up on gamefaqs or buy the guide.

It's just a map! It makes perfect sense if you pay any attention at all.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Don't avoid Uru, play tons of it and give Cyan your money so they can afford to continue developing it. :argh:

Amethyst posted:

I'm talking about the puzzle where you need to build a "bridge" over a river by pushing wooden platforms, and the puzzle where you need to carefully, gently, guide some glow flies through a cave

Those are the same puzzle. Twitchy object physics aside, you don't need to be that gentle with the fireflies. Just don't run, get them wet or jump more than once.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

horse mans posted:

If I've never played Marathon, should I use this to play for the first time?

Absolutely.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
If any of you graphically creative sorts get to feeling at loose ends, Eternal needs some things rendered and polished.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
For the sake of it, I don't suppose you can convince Prime Target to cooperate with Aleph One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix isn't in the list of Marathon mods and it should be. RyokoTK made it, everyone should play it, it's real good.

Also install the HUD plugin that tracks its secrets so you can obsess over finding all of them.