Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

InterFaced posted:

This is the reason I still play quake 2.
http://www.coopordie.com/quake2/

I know the title is "co-op or die" but I mostly play it single player. Its quake 2 with the difficulty cranked up and persistent almost MMO type features. For insance you'll see the bodies of other players from around the world right where they died in the campaign.

Here's an old vid of me not co-oping but eventually dieing after blasting a lot of strogg scum on q2dm1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-Z4Kwuv2Q *Sorry for the blown out sound, but quadmachine almost sounds better all distorted. :)

gently caress I love the soundtrack in this game. Just hearing the music in that vid made me want to install quake 2 again and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

"Flubby" posted:

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys.

I played the first AvP last year for the first time and I found it pretty fun.

About Doom though , you should try running some of the excellent mods for it. I just started up a playthrough of Doom II using Real Guns Hardcore and it's a blast. It's basically CoD's weapons and perks combined with Doom. Great fun. Those mods really breath some new life into old games.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm also considering trying Doom again, oh god what is happening to me :ohdear:

This thread. It brings out the best in all of us.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Brutal Doom is so awesome in every possible way. There isn't one thing I dislike about it. I just got it yesterday and after playing for 3 or 4 hours I accidentally hit the 'F' key. That was awesome.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

^^^^

I used to watch that intro over and over as a kid. Thanks for digging that up

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Songbearer posted:

Let's not forget, it had an awesome theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEXNKplqVU

Also, headshots in that game were awesome! I also liked how the enemies would adapt to your play style. Shoot them in the head enough and they would start wearing helmets.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Can anyone recommend any good Doom 2 level packs to play 4-player coop using Brutal Doom? I introduced my co-workers to the awesomeness that is Brutal Doom and they'd like to do some coop!

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

eternalvictory posted:

Haha, of course that’s why. Im going to restart a difficulty or two higher I think, so long as I can get myself to not turn every encounter into some form of Pitchfork attrition. And yes, I love the flares already, as any form of ammo conservation and accuracy is a big plus.

Goal for first playthrough is to use all the weapons a decent amount instead of saving every power weapon for boss encounters - which will be a lot easier knowing what the arsenal and it’s uses are. Im real excited to finally play Blood past the first level!

I've been playing using the 'made to order' difficulty.

Player damage threshold - low
Enemy damage - low
Enemy count - very high
All the cultist stuff - low
Everything else - medium

It took me a few runs through the first two levels to decide on this. Well done difficulty just became too much of a pitchfork fest and lightly broiled didn't have enough enemies. This right here is solid gold, if solid gold was blowing up massive groups of zombies and cultists with TNT.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just curious but is there something that shows what each of these parameters are set to for the default difficulties?

I think it just matches the difficulties. So anything very low, matches the lowest difficulty and very high matches the hardest difficulty. This is 100% an assumption.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

Speaking of Prodeus, those of you that have already gotten hands-on with it - is it a day one buy?

I've enjoyed it for sure, but I don't think there was enough in the beta to make a proper judgement call. We really only got one Campaign map and it felt like it is definitely an early map in the campaign. I'm still getting it day one, but that's because I enjoy making maps for it a lot.

If anyone does grab it, let me know what you think of the map I made for it. It's called 'Thermal' (by Nebiont, which is the name I go by now).

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

Sounds like I'll go ahead and pick up Prodeus. Speaking of, it's the 9th, why isn't it available on the store yetttttttttttttttttttttttt :doom:

10AM PT friend. Sooooooon

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Played a good bit of Prodeus now and I think all my problems with it can be summed up in: I want more options. Maybe I've been spoiled from playing too much Doom lately, with its extreme customizability these days, but there are just a bunch of little things that I wish I could tweak. I want to turn the blood down by like half, I want the automap to be more clean/simple with colored doors highlighted, I want a kill/secret counter and I want health to be on the left and armor/ammo on the right damnit! Holding down both mouse buttons to punch is dumb, the crosshair is too big, and using the scroll wheel for weapon select doesn't wrap around (if you're at the end of the list scrolling that way does nothing). And yeah while the saving system doesn't personally bother me I don't see much reason why there couldn't be an option for normal saving. Not to come down too hard on it though because it really is quite solid and I like it a lot, plus its still EA afterall and there's a decent amount of content to play already.

I played your map and it was a lot of fun! A notch above the early campaign levels difficulty wise as well which was nice (I played on the recommended Hard). Maybe ease up on the "use this console, opps it broke" style ambushes in subsequent maps though :v:

But I love them so much! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

drat, a lot of Prodeus community maps are amazing! I'm playing through the Community Winners "campaign" and it's been non-stop bangers. That give me a lot of hope for the future!

Glad to hear! I made Thermal and enjoyed every second of it. The map editor built into Prodeus is really solid.