Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Club Doom (and likely the rest of the maps you're referring to) was from regular PSX Doom, not Final Doom.
Whoops, yeah. I'm dumb. Ignore me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I figured I'd post some screenshots of the progress of my first map for the goon megawad. Assuming of course we're still going to attempt to throw it together at some point. Progress is slow, but I like to think it's shaping up nicely. The white specks in the outdoor areas are rain if you couldn't tell.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Jblade posted:

Looks pretty good! - if you haven't already got any plans for the 3rd shot with the lava pillars I'd maybe add some trimming to the concrete grey walls?

What kind of trim would you suggest? I agree the room's kind of bare but I can't really think of what I should do with it. Keep in mind that those lava pillars are polyobjects moving back and forth across the floor.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

an_mutt posted:

At the very least, I've found some pretty awesome music for this thing.

Jesus, that takes me back. Of all the places that song could turn back up for me, as the background music for a Doom level was not the one I'd expected.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Tiger Schwert posted:

You are playing it wrong. You're using Brutal Doom.

Oh, cool, another three page derail is about to start. Thanks, we all needed to hear you bitch about how you hate Brutal Doom some more!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Zacharias posted:

So I was just thinking about some doom stuff and decided it should be posted here

the ultimate Doom has 4 episodes, each consisting of 9 levels which equals out to 36 levels

Doom 2 contains 32 maps, as do both TnT and plutonia

The master levels for Doom 2 has about 20 maps (I think)

and Doom 64 also contains 32 maps

which in total ends up being about 184 maps for Doom as a whole

I'm probably missing some stuff (I don't really count the 1000 LEVEL DOOM PACK CD stuff as legitimate) but I believe this is about how many there are

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though

I compiled a WAD of all the official Doom levels back to back (sans Doom 64, which would take a fair deal of editing to get working) and between The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, The Master Levels, TNT: Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment, the PSX exclusive levels, and No Rest For The Living, there's 170 maps.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Octal posted:

Is it me, or is it absolutely astounding that Doom and Blood and other classic FPS games have no real match in modern FPS gaming.
The worst thing is that every single attempt to create an "oldschool" FPS that I've ever seen, no matter whether it's by a big studio or an independent group, has basically failed completely on every level to really nail that feeling. Hard Reset was a title that billed itself that way, and it was basically a sci-fi Call of Duty that somebody slapped a coat of "oldschool" paint over. Like, you could tell they were at least trying to make you feel that way, but it just didn't work at all.

What I really want to see is some of the guys from the very beginning just up and announce they're going to make a back to the roots kind of shooter. Despite having given us Daikatana, I think John Romero still knows what he's doing. Get him in a room with some of the other old developers like John Carmack, Tom Hall, or heck, even some of the guys who worked at 3D Realms before they pretty much stopped making games.

But then again, something really and truly in the spirit of Doom or Duke Nukem 3D or Quake would probably bomb in today's market, because you'd have angry tweens screaming about how the game's impossible because your health doesn't magically regenerate and there's no button to hide behind a box while your enemies do the same.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

I don't think Romero and Carmack are on speaking terms nowadays, which is a crying shame since they covered each other's flaws pretty drat well.
Yeah, that was what I'd last heard. Why is that? That's the part I've never seen explained.

Either way, bitches gotta get over it. For the good of video games!!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
People still use DEHACKED?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rather Dashing posted:

I'm not on my computer with eduke on at the moment, but I'm pretty certain there's an option in the ingame menus to turn 3d-models off.

There is, but Duke Plus doesn't have sprites for the new weapons, only models. It's pretty stupid, especially considering the HRP models look like dog poo poo.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Mak0rz posted:

Semi-unrelated: How exactly does room-over-room works in the Doom engine (be it Doom 64 or through source ports). From what I gather it's just a case of a sort of invisible "elevator" that raises to the upper floor level when you pass a certain trigger, which would explain why it doesn't work when noclip is enabled and that enemies or ally players can't pass underneath it when someone is up there. I'm mostly just curious.

What you seem to be describing is the usage of the bridge object, which is essentially an invisible, solid object of definable size and position. That's what I've got in my map to simulate the Rise of the Triad-style catwalks, and they behave essentially as you've described.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Although if this is seriously your first run, I'd do it without the hi-res textures. They're a bit oversaturated compared to the originals, and are actually too detailed in a respect... it's hard to explain, I guess, but the gist of it is that Duke's regular textures were kind of obscure enough that they could be multiple things, whereas a lot of the hi-res textures wreck that and make some things look really weird. (See: arcade game with cut-off buttons with pinball scores on them)

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Duke also has a big number of really poor quality sound bytes that I'd never heard before. I'm assuming they came from one of the various console games or something because they are just fuzzy as poo poo.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Dominic White posted:

There's a hojillion remix/replacement soundtrack WADs for Doom, but are there any for Heretic? It seems almost wrong to have the effects updated so much with Heretic++ and then use the same old MIDI dirges.

Somebody did at least one for JDoom way back in the day. I probably still have it kicking around somewhere. I'll try and find it after I get out of work.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I kind of regret doing the taunts for Brutal Doom, because it seems like basically everyone hates them and I feel like I'm responsible for ruining a part of the game for everybody.

Also would you please just stop reading this thread or something Tiger Schwert? You really don't have to bitch and whine about your beautiful, untouched original Doom experience being ruined every time somebody mentions Brutal Doom. Unless you're possessed of empathy on an unprecedented level, I really fail to see how the way that other people play the game affects you in any way.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
The quality part I can definitely attest to. I did all the recording with a studio quality mic, but the stuff was a bit quiet for use in the Doom engine. All the volume increasing was done on SgtMarkIV's end, and I agree that he pushed it a little bit too far. I've posted my original source files in a couple places--here included, if I remember right--but nobody's come forward to try and make better versions of the clips.

It's nice to hear I was misinterpreting things for the most part, though. From the sound of things, I thought people hated the taunts altogether and it sucks as an actor to hear people don't like your work.

Also ChickenHeart I could maybe do that some time! I'd recommend trying me before the Halloween season hits off, though, since I work at a haunted house and my voice is going to go from Brutal Doomguy to Caleb from Blood in the course of a few weekends.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

ExMortis posted:

I don't suppose you held onto the original recordings?

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Roughly twenty minutes of audio across two files. I've got MP3s up on Mediafire of the last two sessions, and I do still have the original WAV files if that makes a difference. Session two is mostly taunts and grunts, whereas three was something SgtMarkIV requested specifically, some extra death sounds and multiplayer-only voice clips.

Session Two
Session Three

The first session's somewhere else in this thread, but I don't think any of that is being used anymore since it was basically just me loving around and seeing what people thought of my voice acting.

Found this several pages back. Those links should still be good. And if for some reason you wanted to look at that first recording session, it's up on my Tindeck.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Try using SLADE3 for editing PK3 files. It's the current standard for WAD/PK3/etc. editing. Using regular archive editors does tend to cause odd issues when working with them, so it's probably overall easier this way.

EDIT: So, I think I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely hated the new sounds for everything in Doom 64. Would anybody else be interested in a replacement DOOMSND.SF2 for Doom 64 EX that replaces all the sounds with their original counterparts? I'm working on one for myself but I'd be glad to share it once it's done if anyone is interested.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 6, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Any chance you could include the original Doom music as well? It just doesn't feel like Doom without the metal soundtrack.

I am actually considering making a version that would include that, though it'd be a little more complicated since I'd have to replace the bank of music sounds with generic instruments and make a custom PWAD with the MIDI files edited to work with the new sound bank. Also, I'm a stickler for music fitting the setting and I'd want to make sure all the tracks matched the levels they were in.

As it is, have the first version of my DOOMSND.SF2 file. To install this, just unpack it into your Doom64EX folder. You might want to make a backup of your original DOOMSND.SF2 first, just in case you decide you want the original sounds back. And if there are any weird glitches in this, let me know and I'll see if I can't fix them; I haven't gotten too far in my own Doom 64 playthrough so I haven't heard nearly all the replaced sounds to know if they all work properly.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So Doom 64 EX has some interesting bugs regarding the music. I was trying to import some of the classic music like somebody suggested a page or so ago, but it just doesn't want to work. Through combinations of adding new instruments to the soundfont and new MIDIs to a PWAD, the best results I've gotten are the game still working but the level just being silent. Worst case gives me an engine crash on starting a new game, which is really odd considering one of my attempts that made that happen was literally copying another song already in the game and renaming it to the first level's music. I've posted about it on their forums, but until I get an answer, sounds like it's just classic Doom sound effects for everyone and not music.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I just don't get why that is. Would it really be that difficult to improve the controls? Is the reason they don't seriously because one of the devs is an elitist prick who doesn't want to do anything to make the game more "accessible" for newcomers?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
My favorite part is that there's not even anything in Brutal Doom that anybody could reasonably file a DMCA over. There aren't any graphics, sounds, or music lifted from anywhere else. It's all either original or edits of stuff already in the game. And yet there it goes. Do people even bother investigating DMCA claims, or do they always submit instantly?

EDIT: And according to the contacts on their website, they're based in Paris, France. Isn't usage of DMCA outside the US considered fraudulent?

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

I miss that kind of variety in modern shooters :(
What do you mean? There's plenty of variety in modern shooters! For example, sometimes there's a guy with a pistol, but other times, there's a guy with a machine gun! And then things get really tricky when you meet a guy with explosives! But watch out, the real crazy stuff happens when you encounter some sort of actually potentially interesting enemy that you only run into once in the entire game in a carefully controlled environment under incredibly specific circumstances!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Does anyone know if there's still a way to directly contact iD Software? Last time I tried I could only find a way to contact Zenimax, but somehow I don't think they would care in the slightest about the inquiry I'm interested in making. Back in the day they had an e-mail if I remember right, but I can't find anything on it anywhere.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

You could probably ask Carmack (@id_aa_carmack) or Todd Hollishead (@Thollenshead) on Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFbV0dGK1hI

Does Twitter have a private message feature? I've never really used it often enough to find out and this isn't really something I'm interested in posting to the whole world as... well, I guess I'd feel kind of silly.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I figured I'd share this here as I think it's a fun exercise for anyone who's interested in Doom mapping: Mapping By Music It's a simple enough idea: take a song and build a level around it. Sure, the challenge part is on another forum, but I still think it's a worthwhile concept.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Apparently BFG Edition changes a lot of random poo poo in the original Doom episodes that come with it. I guess the Red Cross finally sought legal action against them for the red crosses on the stimpaks and medikits, so those have been replaced with ugly, poorly drawn pills. They also cut out the title screens and from what I've heard they also changed the secret levels in Doom 2 for some reason. Are they really that big of a change? No, not really. But it irks me.

What I'm saying is if you're getting it because it comes with Doom and Doom 2, I don't think it's worth it. If you already own them, definitely not. As for the Doom 3 part, maybe if you don't already have it or if you desperately want the changes it makes to the engine, it might be a good idea.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

CowboyAndy posted:

They removed all Nazi/Hitler references from the game, and removed the Wolfen Guards
from the game. They are replaced by zombies. Just found out about it.

Wow, really? They gave Wolfenstein the Staatmeister treatment again? That's beyond stupid.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I honestly can't imagine BFG being worth it at any rate, really. Unless it makes some changes to Doom 3 apart from cosmetic ones, there's just no appeal. I attempted to play through Doom 3 once and truth be told, I just could not get into it. Shortly after the monsters finally showed up, I just kind of stopped playing. It's like the complete opposite of fun. Walking around in pitch darkness and shooting a monster when it pops out of a hole in the wall is really, really boring.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

victrix posted:

I would dearly love to see Doom/2 go through a modern publisher approval process

The commentary on the rejection would be priceless

BUG: Player movement speed ridiculously high. Misplaced decimal?
BUG: Can't seem to heal no matter how long spent standing still.
BUG: Control setup is missing buttons for following features: cover, melee, grenade
BUG: Screen turns red when hit, but the blood overlay never appears.

Honestly, I found all of this in just five minutes of playing. What kind of poo poo are you iD Software guys trying to pull here? Your game is woefully incomplete and riddled with bugs. How do you expect this piece of poo poo to sell??

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
XWE is an awful piece of poo poo that had support officially dropped for it like six years ago. It's known for corrupting WADs at the drop of a hat and I generally would advise against using it.

Try Slade3 instead. A much better editor. I've had it crash... maybe once? And none of my data was corrupted or ruined by it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It's very possible. All you have to do is open each of the maps in SLADE3, then make a new .WAD file, copy the maps into it, and then rename them in whatever sequence you want to play them. You can even make a MAPINFO lump with proper level names and custom skies and music and whatever if you're playing with (G)ZDoom.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've noticed there's a demographic in the Doom community that gets so angry when people build maps using, for example, GZDoom features. Like it's an affront to the entire concept of Doom. I've never understood this.

Doomworld seems to do this A LOT. I was searching Google for something only tangentially related some days ago and stumbled upon a thread about Brutal Doom which was essentially a lot of complaining that it was "too modern" with people making comparisons to Call of Duty because the rifle has ironsights and poo poo. Also a guy compared my voice acting unfavorably to something from a lovely B-movie and called me "some guy trying to sound tough into his mic in his bedroom" and that kind of upset me. (Especially considering things that happened earlier that night regarding my dreams of acting, but that's neither here nor there.)

I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but so much of it was just "wah wah my pure unsoiled Doom experience!!" :qq:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Stuntman posted:

I had to stop playing Action Doom 2 after the blatant homophobia when you visit the gay bar. It was fun up until then, but that just really killed it.

No, see, it's funny because THEY'RE FAGS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! GET IT??

I was still able to play through and enjoy the rest of the game, but yeah, that whole segment just felt like something out of Family Guy. They were just trying way, way too hard to be funny by being offensive and... well, they only really accomplished one of those things, and it certainly didn't make me laugh. But hey, at least it wasn't Doomguy's Warzone.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Commander Keenan posted:

Since Shadow Warrior Complete is now on GOG, it's probably in good taste to remove the download links to the addon packs.

I'm 100% positive that neither of the add-ons were ever released commercially before now. The original intention was to sell them shortly after Shadow Warrior's release, but poorer sales than expected killed that idea. The devs of Twin Dragon released it for free not too long after cancellation, and Wanton Destruction was also released by one of the devs many years after the fact. So really, it's kind of silly to remove them since they have always been available for free up until this point.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Commander Keenan posted:

Thanks for that! Didn't know.

Another thing you might be interested to know, then, is that there was in fact a third add-on pack in the works. Unlike the others, this one never surfaced. I forget what it was called, but it was supposed to star Lo Wang's estranged sister in some sort of adventure of her own. I think some screenshots exist somewhere, but that's all we know of it.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not very familiar with Shadow Warrior's add-ons, but please tell me that this was spelled 'Won-ton Destruction'.

Yes. Yes, it was.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Deadly Kiss. And if anyone can find those screenshots, I'd like to see them.

Unfortunately, no, it wasn't. It's "Wanton" in-game.

Was it really? I could have sworn I'd seen it stylized that way officially.

Anyhow, found two screenshots. Interesting stuff. It'd be interesting to try and track down some of the former employees of SillySoft, the people who were working on this, and see if they've still got the files.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So is there some way to force GZDoom to run in like, windowed fullscreen? You know, like it's technically windowed but there's no title bar or borders? I ask because I have this really, really annoying problem in the GL renderer only where 16:9 resolutions above 1280x720 screw up and for some reason squish the screen vertically like it's not at the right aspect ratio for my screen. It only happens in GL and only happens in fullscreen and nobody can give me a reason as to why.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

Gamecompanion is good for this, just extract wherever and add gzdoom.exe to the config file. Then set to run on startup and it'll do the rest.

Obviously make sure your gzdoom windowed resolution matches your native res as well.

Doesn't seem to work properly with GZDoom. I still get a really thin border around the top left corner and for some reason the HUD disappears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

esselfortium posted:

Thanks, it's nice to see so many people enjoying it :)

There'll be more in 2013, honest!

The textures in this are amazing. Everything is, really. I was just telling a friend today that had this come out fifteen or so years ago, this would have been a commercial success. Everybody working on this should be really proud of themselves.