Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JackMackerel posted:

I can't loving find the Yellow Key in Spirit World of DooM 2, argh.

It's in the throne room right after the Spider Mastermind(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yodzilla posted:

I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond the other week and there was a chick doing her bridal registry wearing a Doom 3 bomber jacket. She certainly wasn't the classiest chick ever but I really wanted to ask her where the hell she found that.

I have a pretty kickass Doom 3 t-shirt :smug:

(It came with the collector's edition)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hadlock posted:

My favorite JC video to date

*JC chokin' like a pro*

I love JC, he's like professor Frink (or Jerry Lewis' Nutty Professor) in real life, speech mannerisms and everything.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 12, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RyokoTK posted:

This must be like having to delete ROMs after 24 hours if you don't own the actual cartridge.

I.e. bullshit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dominic White posted:

Paranoid is a far, far better 'Half-Life for ZDoom' mod.

Can we get a download link? The one on the site is dead.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks.

I'm a bit disappointed, though. It looks great, but it just doesn't play very well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Due to the simplicity of Quake 3's controls, I've found it enormously helpful to directly map the weapon keys all around the movement keys.

I'm a lefty, so I use UHJK for movement. I have the rocket launcher mapped to L and the railgun mapped to G. The others placed similarly, but since those two are the mainstay weapons of Q3, you really need to be able to swap between them instantly.

E: vvvv Awesome, I didn't know that.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 17, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Essobie posted:

Nearby weapon selection keys are great, but I take it a step further and put the "go to" weapon selection on various mouse buttons. Rocket, grenade, and railgun are all on the mouse, and LG is on spacebar (jump is on RMB). Stuff you can hit with a finger that isn't currently trying to move. I started using that at QuakeLive after years of playing all of the Quakes, and now I pretty much do it in any shooter I ever play.

Some of us have to use ambidextrous mouses. I'm pretty well satisfied with my Razer Abyssus, even though it only has three buttons and a wheel.

Being left-handed rules :rolleye:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What was the mode in UT2K4 with the nodes? Onslaught? gently caress, I loved that.

Also, I'm trying to remember that great (UT2K4) map that was outside, and was almost like a ruined Grecian temple or something. I think it started with 'A'. Archangel? Asbestos? Anyway, I loved playing that one, too.

gently caress, I need UT2K4 again.

Onslaught was amazing if you had at last 10 people playing, preferably 16+, with vehicles everywhere.

Asbestos is (obviously) an industrial map, perhaps you're thinking of Albatross? It's one of my favorites, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dominic White posted:

When you're on a roll, you're an unstoppable juggernaut wading through monster guts. When you screw up, you're dead in three seconds.

Brutal Doom + Brutalized Doom 2 Hardcore + UV = :stare:

It's completely ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Question: what source ports are out there for Linux? I know Doomsday exists, but I don't hate myself enough to use it. Are there any software driven ones or are they all powered by OGL? I could use Chocolate Doom but it would be nice to have one a bit more feature-rich

ZDoom for software rendering, GZDoom for OpenGL goodness.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

an_mutt posted:

Thanks for the help gang, I swear I fell behind that tree in one playthrough and managed to walk back out but hey, I've moved it anyway.

No, you don't - I've just been playing too much Alien Vendetta lately and I'm stuck at that level and style of play.

Anyway, here's an update! It addresses everything that's been brought up re: bugs and stuff, and I've tinkered around with ammo and weapons at the start so that you can go through both doors of your own accord. Originally (On Ultra Violence, at least) I had planned for only the door to the left to be a viable option, and for you to have to cause infighting to create an opening for the Super Shotgun (again, too much Alien Vendetta). I realise now that that's pretty dumb.

I tried it with with the Nazis mod and I got totally wrecked on ITYTD :v:

Honestly, that probably says more about my lack of skill than the toughness of your map, but I found it very fitting as a secret nazi volcano base, for what it's worth.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I may be the last person ever to discover this, but the Nazis mod and the Epic2 megawad is the best combination ever.

Seriously, if it had been a commercially released game in the mid-90s, I would have bought the poo poo out of it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

catlord posted:

Finished Thy Flesh Consumed, moving on to Doom 2. Those level designs, man. Some were pretty good, but some... God, what was it, House of Pain in Inferno? Hideous and terrible level design.

Thy Flesh Consumed is like one massive dick move, really. Doom II is so much better and more coherent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

I find it difficult to believe someone actually said this with sincerity.

Some of the city levels are a bit 'eh', but on the whole, it's better.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Doom II managed to redeem its level design 15 years later with No Rest for the Living, however. That was pretty great.

NRFTL is absolutely bonkers. That does make it pretty great.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm playing Epic 2/Nazis based on recommendations and its a lot of fun! However I think I've encountered a bit of a problem on a map called "Orion's Belt".

I have a feeling I'm supposed to shoot that switch to let myself out of this force-field cage. However, my bullets won't pass through it. I've tried just about every weapon I have, am I missing something obvious?

Also, kinda sad I haven't found an Enfield yet. :(

I think it's something with the compatibility options in GZDoom. If you set them to "Doom" it should work.

I just IDCLIP'ed through.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D34THROW posted:

gently caress MAP08 with a passion. gently caress it, gently caress it, gently caress it. Even with the BFG, max energy ammo, and invuln powerups, I STILL died to the barons and cyberdemon like 12 times before I managed to limp away. Who designed that piece of poo poo?

Infighting is your friend.

The Cyberdemon will fire rockets at you, but hit the Barons instead. The barons will go to town on the Cyberdemon and ignore you completely.

The end result is a severely weakened Cyberdemon or 2-3 Barons. If you can't handle either of those outcomes with an invulnerability pickup, I'm amazed you've made it to MAP08 at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

The guy who made "Nazis!", WildWeasel, has released the first public beta of a follow-up, "Terrorists!", which aims for a cheesy 80s-90s Hollywood action movie theme.

Oh hell yes. Nazis! is one of my favorite mods and I love cheesy action movies.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yodzilla posted:

Please let it be a Rise of the Triad sequel because that'd just be the weirdest thing ever.

I want LUDICROUS GIBS in glorious bumpmapped realtime-lighted 3D.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've always wanted an FPS adaptation of Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall done in the Quake engine, complete with terrible Arnold impersonator spouting great one liners. And of course it'd have to be ultra violent, maybe even use the GHOUL dismemberment system from Soldier of Fortune.

I mean, the movie already has a bunch of videogamey scenarios. The alien pyramid at the end would make a badass final level as well. You could totally (recall) use the hologram (HoloQuaid?) to distract badly animated Mars soldiers and mow them down. I'd buy it for a dollar.

This may give you some of what you're looking for, it's like an 80s/90s action movie version of his previous Nazis mod:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33330

Coincidentally, I was actually about to watch Total Recall again after having watched the remake during the weekend. I prefer the original.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Sweet, thanks. Any map recommendations for this?

Unfortunately, the whole "realistic maps" thing only really took off with Duke3D. Doom is definitely more suited to hellish environments and futuristic techbases, what with its choice in textures and so on.

I've been having fun in the early Doom II levels, but I haven't really found any good maps that fit the style, like Epic and Epic2 for Nazis.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

Shadow Warrior is now on GOG, if for some reason the idea of playing Shadow Warrior again appeals to you.

You want to wash Wang, or watch Wang wash wang?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

I can't claim credit for this one though, it was thrown in by one of the other cookie elves!

The ROTT 2012 guys linked this on Twitter. It's... it's beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqsvnbbA7M

I just noticed this in the comments for the 2012 Going' Down The Fast Way:

"You will be able to play the new ROTT with all of the original sounds and music!"

gently caress. YES.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm sorry, but that absolutely cannot be a Quake game.

He's standing still and he still won, for crying out loud!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ColoradoCleric posted:

The gauss gun was pretty much what turns any HLDM map into an instagib one.

Back when I played HLDM, the rocket launcher was my go-to weapon.

Does the gluon gun still cause hellacious lag?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Welp, after the real gore thing and now this, I'm done with that poo poo.

code:
$rm -rf Games/Doom/Brutal_Doom

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you going to write him an angry letter?

I'm going to play Beautiful Doom instead.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GoldenNugget posted:

How has Shadow Warrior aged? I'm thinking of picking it up.

Badly. It's got some horribly racist stereotyping going on and levels become increasingly lovely once you get past the shareware levels.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yodzilla posted:

I remember the soundtrack being pretty good too. This begs the question of why didn't I play it more? I remember playing the first few levels of Forsaken and then...nothing.

Wow yeah this is pretty nice looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHudbgxWfY

Was that playing on an emulator or on an actual PS1? Because that is some black magic going on right there to get those kinds of graphics at that framerate on a PS1.

E: Ok, it says in the description that he's playing it on a PS2, but considering that backwards compatibility was handled by having an actual PS1 built into it, it's pretty drat close to playing it on an original PS1.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Obeast posted:

I still haven't played through the original ROTT (I have it on GOG and have tried it a few times, but never got past the first level), but everything I've seen of the remake makes me want to finally play it. I know the later levels in the game are supposed to be a pain, but it still looks fun as hell.

The first handful of levels are quite good, the weapons are amazing and the gore is out of this world. Unfortunately, the level design takes a sharp nosedive about halfway in IIRC and the final boss fight pulls one of the biggest dick moves of all time. It's a puzzle boss fight of sorts and puts part of the solution in an unmarked secret area.

E: Holy poo poo, I thought the guys at Interceptor Entertainment had a familiar accent in the development diary videos. They're based right here in Denmark! Awesome :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 19, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zaphod42 posted:

"Your sound card works perfectly."

"It doesn't get any better than this!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Turn up the brightness a bit, turn off the motion blur and I think it looks promising. The level-to-player scale does seem a bit off to me, but I'm not quite sure about that.

E: The scale seemed a lot better in the second level.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 28, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, Kingpin is decently fun in the first part of the game (which was incidentally also the demo) and then it takes a sharp turn into Bullshit City from there. Hitscan enemies with psychic aiming abilities, really stupid "let's throw three guys with rocket launches in a tight hallway" type traps, blurry browny brown brown textures with extra brown on top and endless key hunting.

I bought it the last time Steam had it on sale, for nostalgia's sake. I wish I could get a refund.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tecman posted:

Thanks to you guys talking about SiN I went to tinker around again and I... I think I just modded a widescreen patch for the original SiN's Steam version. :stare: Look at that 1920x1080... - I had it running on 1.11 retail first, btw, so it works there too.

It's jaggied, and for some reason it "sweeps" a fuckton sometimes when you move (with the game's icon flashing in the top left), but hey - considering how anywhere I looked there apparently wasn't one at all, I'm pretty happy so far.

Playing old games in huge fuckoff resolution with massive AA and AF is so awesome.

I'm currently playing my way through the original CoD at 1920x1200, 16xAF, 32xAA, every setting completely maxed in-game and in the nVidia control panel, runs smooth as glass. It's glorious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geight posted:

e: Also is every weapon in the new RoTT an explosive? I haven't played the original but it looked like everything exploded in that deathmatch video. Not that I'd be complaining about that, mind!

In the original, the pistol and submachine gun have unlimited ammo. Since you can find a second pistol literally in the first level and the submachine gun soon after, there really isn't any reason to not use the submachine gun all the time. You can, but there's no reason to.

The last weapon slot can hold one explosive weapon, you discard it when the ammo is used up. If you pick up another explosive weapon before that, you'll switch to the new one and leave the old one on the ground. In essence, ROTT was actually one of the first "no, you cannot carry around an entire arsenal on your back like you could in Doom" games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mercury Crusader posted:

Not that having limited weapons in the game was a bad thing. I don't remember there being any ammo pickups, but there were rocket launchers EVERYWHERE! So if you have awful ammo hoarding habits from other FPS of the time, you need to get over it and enjoy just gibbing everything in sight.

If I remember right, enemies could use those same rocket launchers against you if they walked over them (I don't recall if the AI was smart enough to race you to the weapons, just if they accidentally walked over them).

There were no ammo pickups at all. When you picked up a weapon, you got however many shots that type of weapon had, that's it.

And the best kind of enemies would fall to their knees when injured, begging to be left alive. Then they'd keel over and play dead. Get close to them, and they would wake up, go "Ha HA!" and snatch your weapon. Yes, even the firebomb or the firewall. Then they'd usually murder the hell out of themselves and their friends with splash damage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it always did that. Something about the coordinate system in the engine using ints instead of floats for performance reasons or something. Hence, polygons tend to snap to coordinates, all unsynchronized.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

They're pretty noticeable in the original. Playing as Lorelei is can be pretty disorienting after playing as Doug for a while (or vice versa).

I seem to remember that there were a couple of secrets in the original that were literally impossible to get unless you played as Lorelei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is there a way to set the UI in Unreal to scale larger? One of the things that drove me nuts when I played it was the UI being absolutely tiny in modern resolutions.

Actually what I'd really like is a way to run Unreal at 640x480 and have that "blown up" in a window, similar to what Chocolate Doom does.

Play it at 640x480 or 800x600 (or a similarly low widescreen resolution) and throw massive amounts of antialiasing at it?

That's what I do with games like GTA Vice City and San Andreas. Vice City in particular uses some pixel-based effects that just don't look right at super-high resolutions. It's much more faithful to the original look of the game at 1280x800 with 32xCSAA compared to running it at 1920x1200.