Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

co199 posted:

I'm playing Doom wrong, I know. This is what came up in the old thread: some people hate RGH because it makes Doom less Doom and more tactical. I'm a stupid dork that loves COD, so this is right up my ally. I get endlessly entertained by making random maps in Oblige and then playing them in RGH. I should turn in my Doom card.

How exactly do you do this? I'd love to play RGH with Oblige stuff, but I'm kind of a dummy and don't know how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Is there a way to change playerclass in AEoD without having to use the player setup menu in the options? Every time I use that it just resets to "random."

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

It prompts me to go to the game options to change it but it doesn't actually bring up a list for me to choose from.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

After figuring out what was wrong with the AEoD playerclass selection I've been having the blast with it. Every time I play I find some new, ridiculous gently caress-off huge gun to toy with.

My only question is what do the little "weapon power" sphere pickups that enemies sometimes drop do? Do they like provide a small permanent boost to my guns, a temp boost, does it actually do nothing, or what?

VVV They're like a light gray/off-white color, and when you pick them up the message says "weapon power."

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 30, 2011

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I like Brutal Doom for the most part but hate the fact that shooting at something directly in front of you causes splash damage. It's really obnoxious when an imp or pinkie gets in your face.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

At first I thought the automatic shotgun's alt-fire just reloaded itself up to 20 shots, like it would fire faster if loaded that way.

Then I found out that the alt-fire let you load up to 20 shots to fire all at once :wtc:

Edit: I'm curious as to whether or not damage upgrade pickups stack, I've picked up like two of each over the course of 12 levels.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Sooo, is the new Aeons of Death supposed to only have one player class and not have the enemies drop any weapons anymore?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I've gone through about six levels of Doom 2 with Aeons and an oblige map and not one enemy dropped a gun. They've dropped health, ammo, and armor, but no weapons.

If this is intentional then it's lame as poo poo.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Does anyone besides me really wish there was a Duke Nukem mod that didn't have any protozoid slimers in it?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

:gonk::hf::gonk:

They scare me shitless in vanilla Duke (even if they aren't very threatening) and scare me even more shitless in mods.

They really are the most harmless enemy in the entire game, but the noises they make combined with them just creeping onto the screen always makes me jump :(

Note to the AMC creator that I'm not making GBS threads on your mod because you have them in one level plus one of the other bonus maps, I just always hate protozoids wherever they appear :v:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I don't know if anybody's given a complete review so I'll just post what I thought.

-Worst thing about it (or the best thing, I think it's funny as hell) is the voice-acting and story. That aside, I haven't had this much fun with Duke Nukem since I finished War of Attrition.

-The characters are all goofy as hell but I love how distinct their arsenals are (like Znort's guns don't require reloading, Merlijn is melee, Nikko's armor-piercing gats, etc); they even get different powerups, which made me smile.

-Levels themselves seem great so far after about four stages in. The biggest worry I had was everything being a giant circuitous keycard hunt like War of Attrition's community maps were, but it looks like you managed to skirt that. I think the Hell map could've been shorter but it was far from the worst thing I've ever played. --Edit: playing the Abyss level again, getting the red key is kind of obtuse because as far as I can tell, you end up going through a teleporter and arrive at this boney meat-tower thing, and to get up to the balcony you have to use the jump pad in front of it. The problem is that I have no idea how you're supposed to activate it and just got through it by chance after kicking the tower's base and then backing up over the jump pad. If I were you I'd look over that part again and give the player some kind of scanner hint or something because I basically found the answer through dumb luck.

-Research and topics carrying over from one game to the next is great since I don't have to search through every level on multiple playthroughs, though I'm kinda curious as to how I get these weapons and ammo types I researched. Do I pick them up in the armory before heading to the briefing room? Also, are there ways to switch between characters at the base?

-Streamed it, one friend thought it was completely absurd and dumb. Then again, he didn't like Brutal Doom either so there's no accounting for taste :v:

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 6, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Quick question for AMC peoples: I was on the Revolution mission at the third part (where you play as Highwire again) and got to this section right here.

The door doesn't open and I eventually realized you had to jump through the high window, but are you supposed to do it by bringing one of your squaddies with you and jumping on his head to reach it? Because if that's the answer and all my guys had died, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Edit: Oh, wait, you can wall-kick through the window. I use it so infrequently that I forgot it was a feature V:v:V

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 7, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Jblade posted:

Is the stream saved anywhere online? I'd love to watch another person playthrough it.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19577529

Me messing around on Ganymede and Abyss. This was my first runthrough and I ended up missing the switch that opens the hangar bay :v: I did end up loving the game, but Abyss was probably my least favorite section.

As a sidenote I think I'm doing your protozoid removal thing wrong; was I supposed to edit the GAME or AMCGAME CON file? Because the latter one has a lot of stuff in it and editing the former didn't do anything.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Zeether posted:

God drat it, why did the Russian Overkill guy have to take down the downloads? At least I still have the ZDoom version, which I'm playing with Deus Vult and makes it way easier...

...except when I stupidly fired off a Redeemer into a room without running away, which killed me.

It turns out one of the character sprites was done by someone he hadn't credited, and when he realized that he was like "oh poo poo my bad" and took the downloads away until he can get permission to use the sprite by its creator.

At this point, I don't think he'll be putting them back up until he finishes the next update.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

According to the official ZDoom forums, the next version of Russian Overkill is finally getting updated tomorrow, June 2nd. Barring any technical problems, of course.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I'm still pretty let down that Brutal Doom never did put its max health value back to 200.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

There appears to be some kind of bug in the new Brutal Doom: taking an enemy hostage gets you infinite ammo thanks to the way the rifles/shotguns work. Since they don't deduct ammo until you reload and you can't ever reload while taking a hostage, wha-bam :v:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Wait, there's a grenade launcher now? Where the hell is it?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Brutalized is fun enough but it's such a tasteless addition. It's like Plutonia: oh joy, Chaingunners and Revenants around every corner, I am so surprised. Also, I loved how maps 2 through 5 all had these pointlessly added exterior areas to the beginning of the level that were ugly and under-detailed, and all of them had a "secret" if you walked around the back of the building rather than going inside.

It also doesn't make Sandy Petersen's levels any less lovely to play through.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Am I the only one who really wanted to like RotT but loving hated its level design?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Dominic White posted:

The Epsilon pack is a full graphical overhaul for Quake. Uses Darkplaces, I believe. It looks like this in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sGQ98QAfJA

Wow, I'd almost rather be playing with the vanilla graphics.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I wanna play Black Mesa but I always pussed out when the fish monsters showed up :(

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I hope the Brutal Doom guy goes back to the Brutal Arsenal soon enough because using it with the latest GZDoom keeps giving me "expected a name but got something else" errors when I die in a level and reload any save.

Edit: Nevermind, switching to Zandorum fixed it. Also, am I the only one who really kinda hates software rendering in these engines? It makes everything all super dark and pixelly and fuckin butt-ugly.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Stuntman posted:

That sounds incredibly bullshit and unfun. At least make it a thing where the player has a near zero chance of survival, but can still make it out if they're careful. Maybe spawn a bunch of hard enemies and take away the player's ability to shoot any sort of weapon?

Honestly, jackpots and special reel combos are so rare that it really shouldn't be an issue. I've put in like 5 or 6 hours and got maybe one or two.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Supreme Power posted:

It really depends on how you want to look at it. I don't approve of the racism, but I do like the Brutal Doom mod.

Also I'm pretty sure English isn't his first language, so I didn't approve either but I chalked it up as him trying to make a stupid off-color joke and it coming out really bad.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

So how exactly are people playing with DoomRL Arsenal again? When I try doing it through Doom Launcher I just get a bunch of scripting errors.

Edit: nevermind, I was loading another unrelated file named doomrl.wad by accident :downs:

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 25, 2013

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Messing with Project Brutality, I know there's some classic map packs in the OP but are there any that are more PB-friendly? Barring that is there a way to lower the number of enemy spawns because PB seems to multiply them by a factor of 4.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Cathair posted:

:agreed:

God drat, a Marathon port of gzdoom quality would be so much fun. No amount of woefully amateur fan imitations will make me stop loving Marathon's story and atmosphere, but I really have no desire to play it with that much original clunk left in.

I remember how excited I was when I first learned about Aleph One. Oh, how far from my expectations it fell. :sigh:

What flabbergasted me the most about Aleph One is that (at least when I last used it) not only did mouse sensitivity have two sliders you had to adjust for both the Y and X axis so it never felt quite right, it also required you to quit to the main menu to make any changes like that instead of just instantly applying them like you'd get in any given Doom port, so I'd constantly be loving with the sliders, waiting several seconds for the game to load, finding out it still felt wrong and repeating until I found a setting that felt slightly less awkward than normal.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

One thing I remember about Far Cry way back when is I never even realized trigens were a part of it until I played it in like 2009 or so because back when the game first released they were like never featured in any of the marketing or previews I saw. It's like Crytek realized "oh these stupid bullshit enemies suck rear end and nobody likes fighting them," and then they do the same goddamn thing with Crysis years later.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Can someone explain to me like I'm an idiot why I'm getting this visual bug with the spawn tiles for items? I'm using GZDoom 4.7.1 and Doom 2 as the main IWAD.

VVV That did it, thanks :thumbsup:

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 15, 2022

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

The censorship on the N64 babes is funny because the hanging naked babe sprite got changed so that they were just torn in half with their spines exposed and breasts obscured, which I would argue is way more messed up but apparently it was good enough for Nintendo.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

The thing about RWS is that they're basically old-school libertarians so instead of wanting to marry 12 year olds and never pay parking tickets they're just big on 1st amendment and liberty issues, so it's not surprising that their content leans towards being more subversive. They'd also fired an employee for being a transphobe so they're not really people you can just pigeonhole into being MAGA types.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

The movement is definitely better since you don't have to crouch-jump to get onto every loving surface or ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

The problem with the sequel is that A) the narrative doesn't really make sense and B) the devs did the worst thing ever that a ton of other action games did which was they let Halo 2 brainlessly influence their design, so not only could you no longer carry health and were limited to only two weapons but they didn't really adjust the combat to account for it.