Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

why the gently caress don’t people like Youngblood

Half assed co-op stuff and bullet sponges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

the comments about Youngblood versus what people like site and I experienced have made me think through something slightly different

in the Bad Old Days, patches certainly seemed few and far between, and even then those patches would never seem to change core game mechanics or systems. am I forgetting something?

along those lines, what was the first single player FPS to have this happen?

It was more the core changes happened in version .9, .8, 1.0 beta or earlier etc and then the 1.1/1.2 box release was more or less set in stone until the expansion pack.

I think half-life episode 1 patch was a notable watershed for this.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 13, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mordja posted:

The HL1 version of MMOD looking p. fancy.

Could they have done the impossible and possibly made the hive hand not suck anymore?

Just going and finding the original pryo cd explosion file and using that over the downscale one is a good touch.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

\
Void Bastards I enjoyed a lot, but be aware that it as an expiration date and you'll only get one, maaybe two good playthroughs of it (~20 hours each). Super fun while it lasted.

You mean it gets stale or ....?

I found that it needed more enemy and ship types.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Game devs just have their minds in the gutter.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Voodoo Cafe posted:

The first level in particular is still so memorable for me. Just steadily ramping the tension without a single enemy. I'm afraid to revisit it because i don't know how well it'll hold up, but i remember loving it.

But the problem is where do you go from there? AVP2 answer is release the tension and turn into a normal sci-fi shooter which is ok I guess. A way that sort of seems to work is rouge like short run games where you can turn up the tension and then end the game and then run it again and again with a different layout so you never have to outstay the setting.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

4: You upgrade the guns and they look different, also weapon wheel.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Adnor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAYCB3b7rY

Noah Caldwell-Gervais made a 2 hour long video about the Dark Forces series.

That thumbnail is a good representation of seeing the length of the video.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Oh no it's the makron"!

"Did he just say it's the macaroon?"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"that's not a bug it's an impossiboulder"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

skasion posted:

Cool idea, some stuff looks great, but the lightsabers do not work at all. They look worse than the original, possibly worse than in Jedi Knight

None of that stuff is converted yet it looks like, lightsabres, smoke, etc.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The fire mace shoots bouncy fake physics balls though, that's pretty neat for early 90s fps.

The Kins posted:

Touhou/Taken/Козият рог cinematic universe.

Go on...

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

skasion posted:

The fire mace is a fun, weird gun but it’s not a BFG despite going in the slot where you’d expect one and being in a game where you definitely want one. It does feel like they weren’t really sure what they were going for with it apart from “hey check out this weird thing we made”

Someone should design a new BFG weapon for heretic.

That isn't the wraithverge

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Wait till they see the build engine bfg slot weapons.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gimble lock?

There's a tow company in Grafton that get's a nerd chuckle every time I drove passed it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

They established long before the game company and I guess when they were updating the person doing the branding just typed "raven logo" into google images.
Or :tinfoil:
Before forming a software company someone went on a family holiday through Grafton.

Also on the topic of 90s companies eaten by Activision to make CoD dlc they sent Toy's for Bob to the Cod salt mines recently that' the StarControl guy.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 25, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, I had forgotten it was UE4.

I want a old school looking shooter that also makes full use of the new technology of the engines too.
I'm not sure it's possible, game that looks like its from the 90s but is making extensive use of vector fields, ray tracing, shaders, physics while still looking like a 90s game and not a source port reskin / quake rtx / Amid evil.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

In the post EA release Graven update they mention that for design reasons they decided the spells in Graven were going to be utility for puzzles and physics stuff instead of direct damage like they were in the demo. I kind of get it, I mean who would use a sword if you can just shoot a million fireballs.

Can't they do both like one of the countless games that managed to balance this kind of melee/magic thing.

I understand they want you to use the sword but it's boring.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

Speaking of old FPSes and tons of graphical greeblies, this just got announced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0csk7IdJw

Crysis 1 Remastered came out in September, the other two will be landing this fall, both seperately and in a bundle package.

Betting on Optimized for Next gen means made graphically worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The "brain fills in the blanks" immersion trick still works really well, I feel kinda bad for the AAA devs that actually have to make or the extra details and then it "feels" less immersive since it just means it looks more like a video game in your brain. Just have some rectangles, distance fog, greebling and simple textures that aren't very clear and let your imagination do the rest.