Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Back in Duke3d land, I'm about ready to give up on WGR2. Even playing on the easiest difficulty doesn't help, because the problem isn't how fast I die; it's the fact that the game keeps throwing bullet-sink enemies at me that I simply do not have enough ammunition to kill, and when it does this in the first room of the loving level I can't even use POW to deal with them.
I had/have the exact opposite problem. The enemies go down fast enough (except that goddamn ice level boss, gently caress that thing), but so do I when one shotgunner seems to be able to kill me from full health in a couple of shots. And those flying exploding skulls... Still, this mod does have the most satisfying weapons/gibs I've seen in a long long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Also I'm surprised that the Icon of Sin was no less difficult despite being able to jump and aim with the mouse.
Jumping might not matter but vertical mouselook makes the Icon of Sin incredibly easy.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Duke Caribbean is great and anyone who enjoys duke should play it.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

The Kins posted:

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: Thief 2 is now on GOG! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:
If you haven't already played this, buy it NOW. Then finish it, download T2X, finish that, download a million fan missions and keep playing. So great.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

SaucyLoggins posted:

I've honestly never played the Thief games. Are there any engine, model, or texture mods that are considered essential?
Grab this and choose what you want to install. I'd just install all of them, though I don't know if there'll be compatibility issues with the GOG version or something since I only have the disc version. Widescreen Mod especially is pretty much essential (assuming you've got a widescreen monitor) and if the Enhancement Pack is the one with loads of improved models that I think it is, that too.

Edit:
That's for T2, for T1 grab at least a mesh and skin pack from here.

Quatrefoil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 9, 2012

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Can anyone recommend a decent Hexen wad(s)? I really like the game's style but have completed both the original and DkotDC twice so even though I'd still probably get lost all the time something new would be nice.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Wolfen is good, but ZDoom updates seem to break the scripting a lot. This seems to be the latest fixed version
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Please no demon morph to Blood. It wasn't that great in Painkiller, it's absolutely not needed in Blood. A new (good) Blood on the other hand certainly is needed.

edit: there was such a feature in Blood 2? I guess I never played far enough/forgot it existed.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Eulisker posted:

Is blood really that Hard or do i just suck? On the easiest difficulty even.

It is pretty hard, yeah. Haven't played on the easiest difficulty though so can't really comment on that specifically.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Oh god, I can't wait for the absolutely awesome city missions this makes possible.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear about the thread's favourite fan missions for Thief 2. I mean I suppose everyone knows Broken Triad, Mission X and the like but I'm sure there's ones that have fallen through the gaps, as it were.

Seconding T2X. Also Calendra's Legacy is an incredible couple missions long campaign. Then again if you know the ones you mentioned you've probably also played these. I'd take a look at http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm if you haven't, sorting by rating gives a nice list of great FMs.

Some other missions I seem to remember being good despite being fairly lowly rated/not rated on komag are Benny's Dead, Thieves Highway, Shadows In Our Blood, Unholy Vivid Innocence, Better Off Dead, Stones and Glass Houses, Crooked Town, Properly Paranoid, Breaking and entering, Plagiarism, Alchemic Allusions, Being Thief, The Summit.

Well that ended up being quite the list. Can't guarantee every mission being that great or even the one I'm thinking of, since it's been a while. Even if there's nothing new to you on that list maybe it's of use to someone.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

CharlesDexterWard posted:

Are there any generally recommended T2 fan missions or series' out there?
T2X, Calendra's Legacy, Ominous Bequest, that's a few great. After that go to http://keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm and/or http://thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?sort=rating&search=#m and sort by rating. Or check here for lists by type/most recommended http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106781#Most often recommended/Must play

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
I tried Shadow Warrior on the third skill and went down one pretty drat fast. All build games seem to be really tough on the higher difficulties, usually due to hitscan enemies with lightning reflexes and ridiculous damage.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
The first level is pretty bad with the explosions. I assume they were impressive at the time and therefore front-loaded in the game or I might just not be remembering the later parts. Not that there aren't numerous gently caress you -moments later on but not quite that many one after another iirc.

Edit: except the goddamn drones which sometimes seem more like environmental hazards than enemies due to their placing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Splitscreen is exactly what I thought the previous post was about before noticing it was four separate screenshots.