Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oh man, reading through this thread has been a real nostalgia trip. Being able to get the Quake rocket launcher in TF2 made me reinstall it again, and I really wish they would add the grenade launcher for Demoman. I've also been playing Reelism and Brutal Doom has been sorta interesting. Also, is there a place to find that Brutal Hexen file again? I know it wasn't finished, but I'd like to run it in Doom and see how far I get. All the links I found were dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I wish they would just spend their time making more arcadey shooters that rely on tight gameplay and cool scenery to carry them instead of worrying about big, overarching plots or other junk like that. I know I sure as hell don't care about that latter poo poo when it comes to a shootmans game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Like, I get that the higher-ups probably want them to magically poo poo out a game that's going to be known all over the world, but they're definitely not going to out-CoD Call of Duty with anything they do. Soooo...why don't they focus more on the stuff that made them famous like shooters that emphasize running around like a crack addict while crapping out rockets and shells? As someone who enjoys Doom and Quake, I really couldn't care about great graphics or majestic cutscenes. At this point they'd be better off cranking out lower-budget shooters and whatever that focus on points popping out of a demon's skull when you hollow it out or doing silly poo poo like rocketjumping at something tall just so you can punch it in the face. I'm pretty sure that if they get Romero back and convince Zenimax to let them experiment with games more reminiscent of what they made in the past instead of trying to copy the other poo poo out today that's obviously out of their comfort zone then they'll get lots of sales from people who want a break from other, more boring games.

Then again, this could all just be a case of me just not Getting the game industry and how it works these days, so my thoughts probably won't hold any feasible weight or merit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

I guess id could take a lesson from the developers of Rise of the Triad.

Well, yeah. They seem to have their head on straight about what people enjoyed about their games!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Red_Mage posted:

Thats a dubious claim. It'd be a very expensive gamble by Zenimax to do, and its really honestly hard to say if that well dried up with Quake Live or not. You can only remake Wolfenstein 3d (which really has been id's MO) so many times. Copying the other poo poo that is out is basically what the gaming industry has always done, no game is an island. The best games just copy and slightly change poo poo in a way that makes other people go "oh gently caress yeah lets copy that"

I didn't necessarily mean just trying to straight-up remake the old games over again, but to stray from some of the more recent trends in other shooters that try to ground them in 'realism' and all. They were a hell of a lot more successful with making fast-paced, crazy as hell FPS games with lots of projectiles flying around and exploding, so aiming more towards that stuff would probably go better for them. Doom 3 is probably a good example of when they started straying towards the more 'modern' take on FPS games and it sort of suffered for it despite being fairly solid. Rage was also cool, but I'm pretty sure that didn't sell as much as anyone had hoped it would.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

This will just make it a more authentic throwback to 90's Build games :colbert:

Yeah, I really don't think people bought the original Forever with some expectation of a good story or whatever in mind. It was mostly how it played along with some gross poo poo thrown in that made people so disappointed. As long as it's a shitload of good gameplay it'll beat out the original Forever by a mile.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I want more rocketjumps.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

That would be Chex Quest.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The brief mention of Tribes earlier has made me sad about Tribes: Ascend more or less being abandoned. If you wanted fast-paced poo poo in a massive map then that series was the place to go.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think I'm the only guy that liked the vehicle sections in Half-Life 2. The chases were fun, and it really conveyed that you were traveling a long distance.

The only level I don't really like in HL2 is Water Hazard, since the boat isn't the best ever and the level is annoying, but I like the vehicles in general. They definitely improved upon those sections when Episode 2 came out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

As long as it doesn't have the lovely and unnecessary racism it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to salvage what's left of his character.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Proteus is really goddamn annoying at times and Suspicious is the hero of the LP for actually taking the time to find a lot of the secrets in the game that weren't even documented online due to no one wanting to play the drat game. The LP is a great watch in any case, since the game is pretty much an example of what happens if you have creativity but no sense of how the gently caress to program something. At least Quake 2 was solid, something that Daikatana can't lay the same claim to. I think Suspicious has also done other LPs if I remember correctly, all of things like Quake and poo poo. Should be on the archive.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

There's definitely been some hyperbole in the past used to refer to the game, but it really is legendary in how it manages to be a buggy piece of poo poo. I'm actually curious if there was any fixing-up done on it before it was put up for sale on Steam.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Romero was basically the ideas guy who thought he could take that experience on to be the leader of a project. He couldn't.

Romero and Carmack, please get back together and make something cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If anything, any exposure at all to the Doom modding community is good because you still get people going 'People still play that!?' as a response when it's mentioned.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Shadow Warrior remake missed the mark? That's news to me.

E: Also, yeah, Brutal Doom is a fairly popular mod that draws in new people a fair bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

There is also the issue of the creator being a piece of poo poo, yes! That's...really something to consider when bringing it up in a public article.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If it has to be included, then it might be best to make it a very small, casual reference. Being a fairly uncomfortable 'mod' to play for a lot of folks isn't a good posterchild for the community. This is for reasons unrelated to the 'actual' content that changes the base game, and has no connection to certain SA posters who have weird vendettas against it and complain whenever it's mentioned.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I say nuts.wad is an obvious choice to showcase.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dominic White posted:

Eh, Sunder is getting a mention. It's kinda like Nuts, only playable.

And how is that fun at all? :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Not like the thread is running out of real estate or anything like that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

More fiddly bits means more headshots.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dominic White posted:

Not sure if it got mentioned anywhere, but a final(?), tuned-up version of Winter's Fury was released. More generous ammo placement is probably the biggest gameplay tweak. It used to be surprisingly easy to run dry before. Now you might get low at points, but never really have your back to the wall.

Still one of the best Doom mods released in ages. It's a really good showcase of what Doom is like nowadays.

I just tried this out and absolutely love the general aesthetics. Probably will be something I'll point to when showing how far Doom modding has come.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

I saw this a while back and decided to wait until a more complete version was released. This is one sexy mod.

It's pretty amazing how well a fresh coat of paint can liven things up. I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it as much if it didn't look so good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Someone get the Shadow Warrior reboot people on the Doom reboot if it's not going to have any id people on it, anyways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gearbox is poo poo and all, but lumping all the stupidity in with them in regards to that Duke court case is dumb as hell. Both sides are stupid in their own ways. If 3D Realms sells a property entirely they probably shouldn't go around doing more with it without getting permission.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

...DNF had DLC? Holy gently caress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AugmentedVision posted:

I'm serious, I wasn't around for it. I think Brutal Doom is awesome and the only reason I can see for hating it is hipster "it's not the same as OG Doom" bullshit

Part of the dislike is because SgtMark is a scuzzy wierdo and the other part is that it's annoying to see people go 'IT'S DOOMIER THAN DOOM' constantly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AugmentedVision posted:

That seems to be the case with a lot of indie games and mods

It's not funny, it's AWESOME. People drawing the line at vanilla Doom violence BUT NO MORE is pretty funny, though.

Modeling gibs off of real pictures of dead bodies that have been blown to bits is creepy, yo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zaphod42 posted:

Edit: poo poo sorry I'm behind the thread, shoulda checked the page

Oh look we're back to bitching about brutal doom

Hey, at least it didn't last long! Mostly just people saying why exactly they don't enjoy it when asked.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'krog not understand bang club'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

demonsteele is the mod that every kid growing up playing doom wanted and i love it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shadow Hog posted:

Personally I've never really been fond of how melee attacks always seem to insist on making me face whatever I just hit, even if they were a bit off to the side.

I should try Demonsteele, I guess, because I've been off-and-on interested in doing a mod with heavy emphasis on swordplay. (And archery, and bombs, and... alright, so it basically had your average Zelda arsenal, what of it)

i heavily recommend trying it out, because there's a lot of sword usage in it and it all feels pretty smooth

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Fyi I am going to be nicking this quote in the event I make a professional trailer or something.

i am honored

TerminusEst13 posted:

What I've done is made the sword not actually hit people with a melee attack, but instead fires a tiny invisible projectile that travels a very short distance before dying. It's all very hacky and workaround-ish, but it's given way to several conveniences--one of which being exactly that, meleeing no longer jerks you around and hitting enemies is very smooth.
If you're curious about fixing that for your own mod, I highly invite you to open up the code and check it out. I leave my projects open source so that others can learn from it, or if you have trouble you can just yell at me on IRC.

i think this is how team fortress 2 handles melee and it works fairly well. had no idea it could be as smooth as it is in doom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

quake 2 was a pretty solid game but quake 1 also happens to be a pretty solid game and is less homogenized. still loads better than daikatana, at the very least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i miss tribes: ascend

not the awful monetization stuff, though, that poo poo was terrible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it gets brought up every single time in a fairly concise fashion why the mod leaves a sour taste with some people but without fail someone shows up later and goes I JUST DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THIS

that about sums it up

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like Brutal Doom

i can't believe this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

closeted republican posted:

I'm playing through Strife now, and gently caress the sewers. What a godawful level. I swear it's designed entirely to drain any sort of interest or enthusiasm of the game from you.

i watched the video someone linked earlier and the sewers were actually one of the definite negative points brought up due to the map being confusing and you having to deal with colorful painwater most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people joke about quake being all over the place but it pretty much rolled with being all over the place and did it really well