Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, since they're technically not shooters but they are old and first person, but I'm trying to dredge up the identities of two games from my childhood. This must have been back in the mid to late 90s and truth be told, I only ever played either game at a friend's house or my dad's laptop or something but for some reason they've stuck with me.

The first was some kind of early-3d, polygonal tank game. The (I assume) first level had you starting out on a road, being shot at by a blocky battleship off to the side and I think you'd end up sunk in a lake if you just drove forward. I remember this fact because nobody had any idea what controls were if they didn't involve arrow keys or a mouse and one of us only hit the throttle by accident.

The other game was considerably more advanced, graphics wise. It took place in a futuristic city and you flew around in a hover car. I think there were weapon pickups and badguys, but you might have also been able to just play the game like a space taxi. A lot of inertia to the controls, I think.

Anyway, if anybody has a clue to what the gently caress I am talking about that'd be swell.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

Quarantine

It also had a sequel, The Road Warrior, that was pretty cool.

Just checked, and nah, that's not what I'm thinking of. You were literally zipping around in a flying car and the aesthetic was much more Blade Runner. Might have been able to go 3rd person too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

laserghost posted:

That would be probably BHunter, or maybe Crime Cities.

I think you might be right on the first one. :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The fact that Valve's calling it the official follow up to Opposing Forces makes me wonder if they aren't just trolling Gearbox.

Segmentation Fault posted:

How're you gonna talk about a new Half Life thingie but not link it?

Just google Prospekt.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon Curdistan posted:

MINERVA is so good that its author got a job at Valve, specifically because they wanted someone who had the same sense of how to layer space as he does.

I went through a bunch of popular HL2 mods a couple of years ago and yeah, that dude is one hell of a level designer. Now he's probably stuck making reskins of DOTA 2 map...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

poptart_fairy posted:

Am I getting old or just broken. :smith:

Yes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I've started playing Descent for what is essentially the first time and I was having a lot of fun up until the exact point that vulcan drillers arrived. It's no overstatement to say that they're ruining the game for me. Is there any way to just straight up remove them from the game (mod, script edit, etc)? As is I'm seriously considering skipping straight to Descent 3, which I assume doesn't have an equivalent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenaero posted:

What's your difficulty? On the higher ones they will annihilate you if you're not seasoned. I liked to save homing missiles for them and use vulcan right against em too. Didn't have much trouble after that.

As far as mods, eh, not really. You'd have to get a whole level set where the spawns were replaced.

I'm playing on the middle difficulty which has been perfectly fine otherwise. The Drillers just bring the whole game to a screeching halt. One minute I'm zooming through hallways, dodging a hail of laser and missile fire then suddenly I'm forced to inch around corners and savescum like a motherfucker. The level they're introduced in was the worst; they're always positioned in such a way that you can hardly ever engage them from range or take them them out with a homing missile.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I might be done with Descent 1 (level 12). I don't mind challenging games but I'm not a fan of the specific ways in which it's difficult. Too many instances which leave me unable to avoid damage. Anyway, my question is whether I'd be better served jumping over to Descent 2. From what I understand, it's not as hard and the levels are little more open.

Oh yeah, I read somewhere that the Red Hulk's missile's unerring tracking is due to the way the game's engine handles framerate, does anyone know if that's true?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 1, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the answers folks; sounds like D2's a lot more evenly balanced than its predecessor. I'll probably struggle with D1 a little longer because I hate myself tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Speaking of Descent, Volition did a livestream last week where they played it with some old-hands dispensing trivia as they went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVow-ttSh8o

Full stream
Freespace 3 confirmed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

I'm sort of surprised Overload isn't getting more love on Kickstarter. I guess Descent wasn't as popular as I thought?

It's probably because Descent Underground already launched a campaign using the familiar IP, the proceeded to piss off everybody.

Anyway, threw caution to the wind and blew through my large stock of lives in D1, and then moved on to the sequel. I managed to get three, four more levels in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Its been proven that man holding gun = greater mainstream success.

So I've read.

Read on the internet.

The online internet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
With three days left on the clock, the Overload devs released a demo in order to drum up interest in their kickstarter.

Robots explode real good.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 8, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's a real shame, because I went and looked at Descent: Underground videos after playing it and whoa poo poo does that look bad. Not just bad, but weirdly amateur. I mean I know it's early days for that game too, but still.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing through it with the same controls Shadow Hog mentioned and it works fine. I'm not a flightstick guy, but the levels are cramped enough that it sounds like it might actually be a hindrance but I dunno.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So confession time: I've never really played Doom, outside of messing with it in browser ports back in highschool and maybe the first two shareware levels when I was even younger. I only got into FPS games at a relatively late age--the first shooter I played that wasn't on somebody else's computer was Return to Castle Wolfenstein--and the genre itself was supposedly banned in my household, but lol if you think that held up.

But, but, I am going to rectify that failure now, even if I am mostly buying Doom for its mods. So before I start, I just wanna make sure I'm up to date on Source Ports and stuff:

-If I want a true-to-1993 experience I should get Chocolate Doom, correct? It still lets me bump up the resolution, right?
-Otherwise GZDoom is the best one to use. Though I did see a LP where the guy said he prefered ZDoom, so I'm not quite sure what the difference is.
-What's the best mod manager anyway?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the info! I'd never even heard of PRBoom but it sounds like my best bet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Heavy Metal posted:

My guess is you'll like GZDoom the best, I know I do. You can set settings so it won't blur the textures to preserve the pixel art, and can make it 1080p etc, lots of great settings, it's beautiful. But fire up a few source ports if you're curious to see different takes. GZDoom even has compatibility settings so the various little behind-the-scenes quirks can work like PRBoom for example if you want.

For me the best mod launcher is ZDL, since most mods or mapsets are just a wad or pk3 file you can drag into the window on the left, along with any other files you'd like to play, and launch your port. Also if you go for GZDoom the recent dev builds are the most up to date. http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

As for the difference between GZDoom and ZDoom, GZDoom is 3D accelerated graphics, OpenGL as mentioned above. ZDoom uses software rendering. But you can actually set GZDoom to do that too, though I prefer OpenGL. My main issue with PRBoom+ is the menu (and options) are a lot worse than GZDoom's, plus I prefer GZDoom's mouse feel. In general that port feels a lot smoother.

Yeah, I'll almost certainly settle into GZDoom with all the bells and whistles, but for the first game at least, I kinda wanna experience it as it was. Only seen through heavily rose-tinted graphics because again, gently caress running at anything other than native and all these mouse buttons have to be used for something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought the Shadow Warrior remake's bosses were all right. Decent middleground between difficulty and spectacle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So it's kind of a "well no poo poo" thing to say in TYOOL 2016, but gosh, Doom was a good game.

I ended up playing it with PRBoom+ after all, no vertical mouselook, no bells and whistles* and even then I had a blast. One thing I found surprising was how perfectly balanced the difficulty was, at least on Hurt Me Plenty. The game might throw hordes of demons at you, but it always keeps you well stocked with health, ammo and strategically placed powerups. The enemies, too, could all potentially ruin your day, but their slower reaction times and the fact that most of them used projectiles rather than hitscan attacks meant it never felt unfair. The maps also struck a great balance; complex and nonlinear but never labyrinthine. I've bounced off a few oldschool shooters over the years (Marathon, Duke 3D) because of their level design but I blazed through Doom's, even if the technology of the time obviously meant some of the later locales were a bit more abstract than I'm used to.

Anyway, I've moved on straight to Doom 2, although I'm using GZDoom with OpenGL turned on, mouselook, even a crosshair. Only a few levels in but I've got the double-barrel and I can already see why so many people are so in love with it.

*Addendum: Well, I played through the first three episodes as close to vanilla as I could. For the fourth, "noncanon" episode I loaded up Trailblazer and introduced the minions of hell to my twin sawn-offs, automatic grenade launcher, and room-clearing-six-shooter. :clint:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even using an OP weaponset, E4M2 was a brilliant map, but strangely placed. I mean, it's considerably harder than just about every other level in the episode despite being the second one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Daily Doom Dispatch: I've beaten the first two episodes of Doom 2, and also the first city one. Man, the level design is a lot different than it was in the first game; a lot more wide open spaces and a greater willingness to throw hordes of high level demons at you. I can understand why people prefer the first game's maps, but playing the two back to back makes me welcome the change. Plus I can finally say from first-hand experience: gently caress Arch-Viles.

Anyway, something interesting has happened since I've started playing the Doom games. I've really started to notice level design. RTCW and Half Life were the first shooters I really got into and the most memorable parts of those games' maps were due to scripting, visuals, narrative, or varied gameplay elements. In something as simple as Doom, where combat is everything, the way maps are laid out and the placement of enemies is vital in a way later games could afford to neglect in favour of spectacle.

tl;dr: A MOOD HOUSE?!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vikar Jerome posted:

there are episodes in doom 2?

Close enough. There's the starport, Hell's outpost, the city, and Hell 2: demonic boogaloo. They're separated by text blurbs but the entire game is continuous.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite for the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth and its metatextual elements but the actual story was garbo as gently caress and the gameplay was middling, though I never liked the first game's combat either. Still worth the :10bux: I paid for it, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, OK, so only a moderate amount of slavery.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

I mean, with 1, you could take any element of it and find some other element it tied into. The magic powers were discovered at the bottom of the sea, developed by the unethical scientists who had been attracted by Ryan's culture of individualism, given to the population through the laissez-faire market, and then it turned out they drove people crazy and that it might not have been a good idea to give a bunch of hardcore libertarians the ability to set each other on fire with their minds, which is why the city fell. Why are there plasmids in Infinite? What do they have to do with American founder-worship? You find the first one in a carnival game and they seem to have had absolutely no effect on the city's culture the way plasmids did on Rapture. Unless there's a whole lot of backstory I've forgotten, they exist because magic powers are part of shock-style combat and thus the game had to have them.

From what I remember, the Tonics in Infinite literally were the Plasmids in 1 thanks to timedimension-travel.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can anyone suggest a map pack with wide open spaces and a bunch of enemies for when I want to level a small country's worth of demons with Russian Overkill's stupid ridiculous arsenal?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon-Lime posted:

Looks like the Bunker Punks early access is live. Supposedly, it plays like Doom, but I'll have to check it out to confirm.

Bunker Punks posted:

RANDOMLY GENERATED LEVELS – Every level is generated randomly by the game. The layout is different, the enemies are different, the loot is different, even the propaganda posters on the walls are different. You never know what’s around the next corner.
Nah, I'm good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Overbite posted:

edit: oops, someone did a few posts up. Strafe is a roguelite too? Ugh, why do developers keep doing that. I don't like roguelites but it seems like every new game is one of those.
Progression elements tickle the lizard part of the brain that'll make people keep playing and playing, and I guess procedurally generated content is ultimately easier for a small team than handcrafting maps. That's my 2c.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tell me when someone successfully snapmaps NUTS.wad

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of megawads, I was planning to pair DoomRL Arsenal with Hellbound when I finish my run of Brutal Doom (using Doom 2 the Way id Did) but I read some posts earlier on that it's a chore to play. Is that the general consensus? If so, Valiant Vaccinated sounds like it'd be a good replacement.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr. Flunchy posted:

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point is pretty blah, but it does have a goddamn amazing minigun weapon.

Frankly, if you get the minigun right in a game then you're at least guaranteed some fun no matter what.

This but with shotguns. Any game with a weak-rear end shotgun is a game I don't want to play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

basically in the loadouts they should put a nailgun and a single barreled shotgun in place of the rocket launcher and super shotgun, put them instead in the "Power Weapon" rotating pickup grab bag, make them more powerful, allow you to rocket jump, and bring back speed sliding
Yeah, exactly. Loadouts work when you're basically choosing between a slew of similarly powered pistols and assault rifles, or if it's something like Battlefield where different classes have specific roles. In a supposedly old school shooter like Doom, flattening out the damage makes previously valuable, special weapons feel underpowered and unsatisfying.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

khwarezm posted:

I'd love to get into UT, but I'd want to wait until its mostly finished and well populated. For the people who've played it, how is it looking now in that regard?

I gave it a go directly out of the Doom beta and it's still pretty WIP (and still labelled as pre-alpha). There are only about five completed, official maps, and a lot of the ingame assets are just ported from UT3. Still fun as hell though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, it's obviously a labour of love being made by a skeleton crew while they pour their money into Paragon. :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If anybody hasn't played it yet (yeah right), valiant.wad is really, really good. I'm only on the second episode but the Mancubian Candidate level was extremely clever and unique. I'm playing it with an only-slightly-overpowered weapon mod and I've been having a blast. Well balanced and not too difficult, though I think there are a few slaughtermaps later on. Otherwise most of the levels are pretty short but sweet, which is a nice change.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am and also I play Doom and its .wads to chill & blast demons at a middling skill level, not to 100% every map.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
John Romero's about to make you his bitch...Again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Obnoxious Twitch superstars aside, there's some new gameplay for Shadow Warrior 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-RGEFBJ2x8 :love: