Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Got the survivor achievement in Cultic and with it a perfect game :cool:

Think I about earned myself a little break. In any case, I definitely got my moneys worth if just hunting for achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
24mb of ram?! Holy poo poo that seems low

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I enjoyed all three systems :)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Design spoilers I guess?
The remaining levels mostly at least involve a little of those aesthetics. There's a crypts level that has some new stuff and is mostly tight encounters with one really crazy fight, there's a level inside a derelict asylum that is mostly a different theme than what you've seen so far but it's pretty normal for what you'd expect a derelict asylum to look like, and there's a level with some cool Quake-ish castle stuff going on.

Yeah the levels do kinda feel typical for what you'd expect but in their defense I think they layouts are solid

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can disarm and collect the booby traps in cultic :aaaaa:

Anyway, are there any weapons parts in the chapel level in story? I'd hate to have missed some. It's just a standard playthrough so not remotely taxing but it's a principal damnit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I remember something similar from part 1. Infuriating.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You know I think the snipers in Cultic might actually be women? It's something you won't hear often because you're engaging them at range but if you kick them a bunch they definitely sound more feminine

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Guy's got a decent sense of humor which makes sense after playing the game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a really funny secret in level 7, the back of one of the trucks is absolutely full with wooden crates. If you chop, kick, our shot through enough of them to get to the back your reward is... a single armor plate.

I keep forgetting to skip that one because even in hard it's really not worth bothering with. I'm not skipping any secrets at this point and I'm running it with no sequence breaks and such probably a little under 2 hours. There's a good chance this will replace HL or OP4 as my go to fps to do a run through when the internet craps out or even just because. I think I ran it two or three times yesterday alone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The shotgun does take a while to get good but once it does it's pretty much the best weapon. It also takes the most parts to get there but who's counting. I WOULD give it to the rifle, but ammo's just a hair too sparse and I think it's got a bit more competition from the upgraded pistol. If anything the odd weapon out in terms of usefulness tends to be the sten imo. There's little it could do against base enemies that the pistol couldn't more efficiently and against the bigger ones, molotovs and shottie or rifle fire top it.

Last night I did one of my daily hard runs and decided to try upgrading the rifle first above all else (shotgun secondary, ofc). I even got the weird slow-mo on alt fire upgrade- as my first upgrade in the starting building. Gonna be honest, I think it's one part too expensive but it's actually pretty good? The slow mo really easily allows you to line up headshots, avoid projectiles and just get a nice lay of the land in something of a breather. One of the things I like about this game is that dodging is actually possible; ducking, sliding, dodging and even jumping over and around projectiles is possible and even necessary, especially at higher difficulties. And it also does cover combat a lot better than a lot of cover shooters, which I generally find to be the most tedious poo poo imaginable. I think it's entirely because the projectiles are just that: very fast projectiles instead of hitscan weapons. Nothing better than sliding under some pistol fire and blasting some idiot in the balls and then sliding and popping around the level geometry like john wick to murder his friends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

55 hours into cultic and STILL finding secrets: there's a weapons part hidden in a box attached to a crane in the first big room with water once you enter the caves in mission 1. Apparently in the demo it was filled with a fg42 but I think they did that so you could play with most of the weapons early on. By my count that should end the mission with I think 5 parts?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I felt like a real Big Brain when I figured I'd give it a "shot" and sure enough a weapon part came out of it.

I was not as successful at finding 100% of the other secrets.

Well that's the funny thing: it's literally not a secret secret. Neither is the rifle on top of the guard shack by the cult camp. Just went exploring and found it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The creator seems pretty active on steam discussions so you might actually get through to him lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

The weapons part in a box on crane in level 1 was definitely a marked secret in the demo.

Of you really dedicate yourself to looking for the secrets they're pretty easy to find. My first playthrough I found all but 2, and after I looked them up i was annoyed because they were both obvious and I just didn't bother looking hard enough.

How many parts total are there then. I think I'm at 42

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Sten isnt actually a bad gun. I think I'm going to to an upgrade run of it first next playthrough. It's just beaten at range by the pistol and rifles and lol sometimes even the shotty with all upgrades. It's biggest weakness is it can't crack shields for poo poo and late game they're everywhere it seems

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is Duke nukem 3d on steam worth a buy? I never got far in it as a kid but I remember liking it, especially the weapons. I played an in-browser version and it was janky as hell but that could well be a case of the emulator

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sure, sure. Gotcha.

Who is Randy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I bought HL2 the day it came out :cool:

Also I hated steam back then

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think I tried playing css on dial up for a bit lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is randy the person who talk about beating john carmack at a poker game? Or something involving a poker game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just did an all weapon parts hard run on cultic and squeezed in under 90 minutes by 4 seconds and change. I think once I go back to casual I could eschew a lot of stuff mostly parts and secrets, and especially imbue skulls which seem to take a while for out of the way they are. Someone's beating it under 15 minutes now by popping out the level and stuff. It's insane. I knew the game was going to have a solid speedruns but I didn't figure people would break it that fast.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I watched a speedrun for it on a whim a few months ago. I remember it kinda having a cult following? Probably would have eaten my computers alive at the time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just did a hard run through of Op4 and I swear to god they changed it in some way. I've got hundreds of hours playing the campaign and while it's been a while I could remember pretty much everything but I'm pretty sure they hosed with it some way. Everything is just "off". It's also way harder than I remember though that could just as well be because the base HL weapons all seem kinda meh and I just came over from cultic where they're all pretty good. Hard to make a SPAS-12 so lame

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I still play HLDM (almost 1500 hours). I'm allowed to criticize the weapons :P

Honestly though the more exotic weapons are great. Tau and egon are tits, it's a solid rocket launcher and the crossbow is insanely OP on open areas and even corridors if you can quickscope. I just don't like the smg and shotgun. The desert eagle in op4 is great though and I think I like the weapons more overall in it. The egg launcher is so cute and it owns most things with one or 2 direct hits. It's kinda a shame the whole thing feels non-canon

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The saw is so good at breaking the game lol. I don't even speedrun it like a pro and I'll use it to boost jumps and stuff. Rifle is fun too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBm0FP1Rm2g&t=716s

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 20, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Full parts run cultic, now just under 1:23. Hard too. Even had leftovers that I didn't even bother with in ritual chamber since I'm literally gonna be in there for 50 seconds or so. Means I can start skipping some and if I do it on casual I can go without the imbued skulls and stuff too. I see no way I'll be able to do all the truly sequence breaking stuff (other than the bridge in the mine town) but I might be able to knock it down to sub 1 hour. Funny enough I used to hate the crypts the most but now I appreciate how fast it is once you know what you're doing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'd like the survival mode a lot more without the weird ammo restrictions. Anyway not on Extreme anyway; I served my time in hell. I ran it once slow as hell to get it and said that's cool, very hard at most from now on. Which honestly is a pretty good difficulty all around for me. Hard's pretty easy now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Copper Vein posted:

Does Cultic have a way to keep your weapon upgrades into a new game, like a new game+?

God I wish. I wish there was a way to play around with upgrades or even alter then in the game too. It's just a quibble though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I love disembodied head of Chris Kattan

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

You have to take a bath to get it. One of the brilliant things about its placement is that someone who is good with hand grenades can very effectively interdict picking up the railgun.

Is that the map with the tunnel to the railgun? We played that one all the time in school

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Finished Blue Shift yesterday. Definitely the weakest of the original series (though I guess more canon than OP4) but not without its virtues. Pretty easy though. Not sure if I died at all and certainly not to anything other than the environment. I've posted this before but I think I actually might like the tram ride in it more? God I love black mesa. Just this super secret skunkworks out in the desert with miles of tunnels and poo poo keeping it hidden (and a pleasant 68 degrees)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got the Half Life goty on 4CDs back in the day and when I finished the incredible OpFor I couldn’t wait to play Blue Shift. Then I played it and it took about two hours to finish and it was pretty bad.

It'd be a lot better without Xen!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

catlord posted:

I wouldn't say Blue Shift is bad, but it is pretty drat short and a little perfunctory. It'd probably have been better received if it had been released as a free expansion or something.

Yeah I mean all the combat related stuff is solid plus you get to explore more of black mesa. I cannot stress how much I love the setting.

I'm watching an old civvie video on tekwar and there's this game called ion maiden he mentions which looks pretty cool but I can't find poo poo about it. Googling it really wants to bring up iron maiden vids though so maybe not total loss

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SkeletonHero posted:

Remember when Iron Maiden refused to license any of their music to Brutal Legend, the ultimate metal album of all time with an RTS attached, because the main character was named Eddie without their permission?

lol wtf

Why are metal bands like this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like it's kind of dishonest to frame it that way given that the full context is the character is called eddie riggs, eddie being the name of the iron maiden's mascot and being something designed by derek riggs, an artist who is responsible for like a lot of the band's album art. it was very bluntly a direct reference to iron maiden as a whole. like i'm not going to say it wasn't petty but lol this is a wild way to present it

and even beyond that i have no sympathy for the ion fury devs anyways for obvious reasons, so, whatever!

What's wrong with the ion fury devs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bummer. Not the first game I've heard that about either

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Him getting fired on the first day at disney is one of my favorite stories

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Do they have armor? I've seen some people say hs work in 2 but not 1. Armor might account for the tougher enemies.

Anyway, the madman finally did it; Cultic in sub 10 minutes.

That chapel eats up so much time lol. I half expect them to find some way to break it and skip it at this point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

anilEhilated posted:

I finally got around to finishing Cultic and I think it might be my favorite retro shooter of them all. The movement and fight dynamics are just fantastic, haven't had this much fun zooming around the battlefield and blowing up dudes since Bulletstorm.
Also, very good level design. I didn't really care for the open area -> tunnels -> open area -> tunnels alternation the early levels had (I think Mine Town is the worst offender here) but once you get past that it's all fresh and has a great sense of escalation.

Town's a great level :psyduck:

If anything level one is the one I dislike most now. Followed by level 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

While installing and testing stuff on my newly built PC, I fired up Unreal Tournament "we're not calling it anything, but it's the 4th one" and I'm once again frustrated that they more or less abandoned it. I definitely get why they saw more potential in chasing something new with Fortnite, and I mean, they appear to have been right. But what they left behind feels like the core components of an extremely solid swan song for the franchise which could've been enjoyed for years to come. I especially like the DM-Underland map which is on a beach and has a water area where people can hide and then pop up out of nowhere. The maps (few though they may be) feel pretty good as far as allowing movement without the overly busy aesthetic and unclear boundaries of UT3's maps. The movement feels great and the new grenade launcher (with detonation on command, including in midair) is awesome. But it's obviously pretty lame having just like 3 finished maps and models to choose from.

Some brief googling reveals that there have been some new community maps released every once in a while, unofficially. I'm assuming it hasn't gone much farther than that, though. I know the whole idea of it was originally that the game's development would be "crowdsourced" -- though I'm still not really sure how that was intended to work out, practically. (Kind of feels like an excuse to let other people finish the game for them.) And the UI is, of course, garbage.

Is this the free one on epic's store? I played it for a bit but my comp wasn't really up for it. I remember liking the beach level and the weapons had a very solid feel, better than 2k4 but maybe not quite as good as 99.

RyokoTK posted:

I think I’m happy that arena shooters as a genre are in the grave.

Jabroni Brawl is a lot of fun but it also very specifically aims to be the Source trash of yore.

Why? They're fun. And it's not like you're forced to play them anymore

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 6, 2022