Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks, you two. Glad they put up the original version on Steam instead of replacing it with the BFG edition, which can't be modded. Who thought that was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Elliotw2 posted:

Actually, googling shows that there are basic mods for the BFG edition, including for the shotgun spread and the body stay effect.

Ah, I didn't know that. I'll check and see if there are any sound mods too. I dunno though, I'm one of those weirdos that didn't mind switching between the flashlight and gun in the original game. It was tense, maaaan!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Malmanous posted:

Edit: The crate maze part of E2M2 is still my favorite part of original Doom.

Needs More Detail Ultimate is my fav Doom wad. The author replaced every single level of the original while keeping the same feel and level of detail, and there are little architectual hints to the original levels. And it has its own take on the crate maze from E2M2.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/megawads/nmdu.zip

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Doom III Is Pretty Good

a novel

Chapter 1 - I Am Not A Complicated Man

Call me Al Cu Ad Solte. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - I played my first ever videogame. It was Tetris on the Game Boy. My second game was Super Metroid. My third was Doom. This Holy Trinity of gaming has thus informed my tastes for the past 20 + years.

You see, these three games do something that very few, if any other games do. They have a laser guided focus on their strengths while firing a Shrink Ray at their weaknesses. The flaws are there, but they are minor.

Tetris has a single focus: make blocks disappear. Everything you experience thus enables you to reach that goal of making blocks disappear. Super Metroid has several overal objectives in regards to player experience. Exploration/Upgrading/Atmosphere/Bosses. Combat is an afterthought but does not suffer. And so like Tetris, everything you do informs your ability to explore, upgrade, soak in the atmosphere, and fight bosses.

Exploration grants you upgrades. Upgrades allow you to explore. Exploration allows you to observe and appreciate the gameworld. One feeds into the other, and so on.

I probably don't need to say anything about Doom but I WILL ANYWAy. Doom is about shooting demons in the loving face. Everything you do enhances and guides you towards doing this. Get ammo and weapons to shoot monsters in the face. Get armor so that you can live longer, thus having more time to shoot monsters in the face. Locked door. Are there monsters behind that door? Find the key. Open the door. Get on the floor. Everybody chaingun the Arachnotro(aur(?))(n).

And you know what? It works! loving game is still played two decades later, as evidenced by its huge modding community and this dope rear end thread.

Don't worry there's a point to all this I swear

Chapter 2 - Doomguy! Do Everything!

It is the year 3032. Activision rules the world. Do you want to play Call of Duty? Haha just kidding its thursday you have to

Most modern first person shooters loving suck. NOT ALL OF THEM. But many, many, many most of them. Why? You know why.

BUT HERE'S THE THING I like first person shooters. As I said, I am not a complicated man. But godammit, that doesn't mean there can't be some kind of fuckin' interesting under the hood elegant mechanics behind my shootmans! Have you seen Dooms beastiary? It's nuts, they're less like enemies and more like puzzle pieces. Oh poo poo there's a room with 3 sergeants, a cacodemon, and some lost souls. :derp: but then you put your :clint: on and use your brain and figure out which weapons work best for what scenario, how big a room is, so how agile can you be to avoid attacks, and then you've got the prioritize enemies because WHY GOD would you waste a Super Shotgun shot on a single former human when there's three imps clustered together RIGHT THERE

There's this really great sense of cohesion to how you fight and move and interact with the world and its denizens. Modern FPSs don't even have that, maaaan.

I miss that. I miss it a lot.

Doom 3 was released in '04, a decade ago. When it came out, I HATED IT. What is this dark bullshit I'd rather poo poo a knife then play this trash

But here we are, a decade later, and I'm here to tell you that Doom III is actually pretty loving good. And not by 2004 standards either.

Chapter 3 - Long Post The Third GotY Edition

Cons: Let me just get these out of the way first

Too loving dark!

I'll give you this one. Sometimes, I wonder how exactly UAC personnel ever accomplished anything BEFORE the invasion.

Monster closets! They can get kind of annoying sometimes, can't they?

UGH PDAS WITH LOCKER CODES

Horror game journal entries summed up in one picture:

poo poo DICK SOUND DESIGN. Originally id had Trent Reznor on board to do sound and music. I don't know if you know how much I love the ol' Rezzie but I do. He's like a giant sad baby who is also the nicest man in the world. Anyway, his work on id's own Quake is FABULOUS, and when I heard he was doing Doom III I was excited! But then he quit because id takes too loving long to make games (7 years on Rage! btw should I talk about RagE? Should I talk at all? I need validation from internet people).

So instead we got Chris Vrenna. Look man, promising Trent Reznor and getting Chris Vrenna instead is like promising me a steak dinner and then giving me a rice cake.

So instead of chunky weapon sounds and an a horrific techno industrial soundtrack that would have made our ears scratchy, we got guns that sound like a chimp farting through a coffee can and...not really any music at all. To be fair, the main menu music is pretty bitchin'

But you know what? Overall, I really, truly, honestly love Doom III. I think it's a great game. I didn't always think this. In fact, back in '04 when I played it, I thought playing the game was like trying to decipher John Doe's notebooks from Se7en (like really with the loving 7), except instead of nihilism he just goes on about how great the aesthetic of plastic food containers is.

And now the point of all this.

Chapter 4 - Dance With the Devil in the Dark Grey Corridor

Fast forward 10 years, and I just played through the game again on a whim and almost loved every second of it. You can just feel the enthusiasm and sheer effort pouring out of every bloody orifice as id tries so adorably hard to scare and entertain you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the overall package is just grand. If Doom is The Downward Spiral (Doom II is With Teeth) then Doom III is The Fragile. It doesn't reach the sublime perfection of the previous effort, but there's genuine EFFORT and PASSION put into it.

I also appreciate how, and this is important, it seems to value your time. Locker codes are only 3 digits. There's not even a use button, you just click on stuff with the gorgeous in-game GUI (500,000 lines of code for that alone) because your loving finger is already on the mouse button so why even bother complicating that business? Carmack didn't even want ragdoll physics because he thought it was a gimmick and didn't add anything. Is he right? Well, Half-Life 2 came out around the same time....

Get a gib mod, slap on some decent sound effects PK4's, and it's seriously a blast. The weapons feel great, ammo and health are doled out at JUST the perfect frequency to where you aren't quite overpowered but you're not some weak poo poo jelly kneed dick the whole time. You feel vulnerable BUT you also feel CAPABLE. I think it's similar to the original Doom, only in that case your capability comes from your agility. In 3, you move much slower, but so do your enemies.

Hell is creepy and totally cliche'd and I love it. Negative points for not having the screaming, agonized souls of the damned constantly in the background playing backwards. I͖̯̞̽ͭ̀̃̈̇͂'̗̝ͩ͗͠m͈̤͎͈̩̭̆͋̔̿͜ ̘̏ͤ͟n̼͒̽̃͛ͅǒ̰̹͓ͮ̚t͕̗̙͔͎̗ͬ̽̓̏́ͅ ̠̜̭̞̝ͧ̍̔̆͑f̪ͩͩ̐u͇̠ͤ̍̓ͤ̉͢c͉̙̞̓̌͗̇k͎̗̫̗̻̥̯͑̊̍͛ẻ͇̯͖̝͕̑́̈́ͬ̿͞d̳̱̯̪ͮ̇̾ ̰̜̜ͫͬ̃u̗̪ͫ̾ͨ̔̌p̡̭̤̣̙ͦ͑͌͆̎̊ ̭̀̒́ͅI̬̪̠̠ ̄͐͘ş̹̂w̟̞͍̠͓͕̬̋̀̊̽͠e̴̩͉̼̻̥ͣ̃̎ͥ̋ͣ͒å̷ͫ̏ͩr̤̖̰ͤ͐̅̈́͠

It all feels very deliberate.

The puzzly monster encounters aren't quite here anymore, and that is sad, BUT the variety of foes you face is still just as large and every time they die I just wanna do a little fistpump.

In an age where even games that make fun of lovely modern FPS design do those exact things they just made fun of (I love you Bulletstorm, but you can shove yourself up your own rear end), where control is constantly wrenched away so you can look at THE COOL THING the devs spent all this time on, where the focus on realism means I have to see 20 + guns that all do the same thing, it was a breath of fresh air to strap on my helmet and fight my way through the haunted halls of Mars, pick up ammo and health, defeat the bad guy at the end, smile, and go "You know what? I'm glad I played that."

Doom III is pretty good, ya'll.

Patch Notes 1.666 changelog: This game is totally a giant homage to Half-Life no I'm serious it like hits all the same beats including the trip to the alien dimension and the tram ride and the vent crawling and the

You know that's interesting because Half-Life was originally called Quiver and was heavily inspired by the original Doom. It all cͥo͎̦̲͇͆͋̊͑̅͡m̘̝̙̼ͩͭ̅̈́͛ͅe̸͚̰̩̙̹s̄̿ ̫f̥̻̭̓̄̾͊̏ŭ͚͕͕ͧ͒̕ͅl̖͎͘l̜̦͉ ̜͕͔͚̞̭̓͊̄̈c̯̮̞̖̠͑̊́ỉ͔̚r̴̙̹͔̮͈̅̃c̡̙̳ͥͫ̌͐̆ͥl̻̻̆ͩ̍͆ẻ̙̠̙͔̬̾ͭ̏ͣͅ
̢͎̩̏̐̈͑ͭ̔̍

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Back to Saturn X

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Yodzilla posted:

Striders are so loving cool. Ungh the sound design in the HL games is so loving good.

And it's a shame that we'll never see another Half-Life after how solid Episode 2 was. Ffffffuck.

No joke I think HL2 Episode 2 is the most perfectly paced and designed modern FPS experience ever.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Starhawk64 posted:

Does anyone here judge an FPS soley by how good or bad their shotgun is?

I thought that was the standard metric? Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun with that foreward pistol grip will always be my second favorite. That was the first game I played that had ejecting shell casings! OOoooohh!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Tippis posted:

I think it's a fairly good metric.
Doom set the stage for “good shotgun” and any game that fucks up something that simple after that kind of demonstration is obviously not very competently made (cf. Doom 3).

I will never understand the bizarro sound effects for that gun. Or the insane pellet spread. Sometimes game design choices make me :psyduck:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

Nifty release today. The Adventures Of Square: Episode 1 (Squareware Edition).

Bit of an all-star team behind this one, including Xaser. It's silly and pretty good from what I've played so far. It's also a standalone release, packaged with a pre-configured version of ZDoom, although I just took the PK3 file and ran it through GZDoom for extra graphical niceness.

This game is fun and wacky and well designed. Play it! The puns are magical in their terribleness. "What's wrong, can't take the paint?!"

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

It's pretty much Chex Quest 2014.

Exactly.

I only wish its menu theme was It's Hip To Be Square.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There is a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons. Doom's alternate universe title y/n

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Elliotw2 posted:

Sikkmod is one of a few that you can't hack into working with BFG. The texture replacements and gun mods do work with it though, if you don't mind going through some extra steps.

Can I replace sound effects too?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Segmentation Fault posted:

I dunno, can you?

yousonuva :argh:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Are there any wads aside from Hellbound that follow the same "Hell on Earth" scenario as Doom II?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
:eng101: If he was a landscaper would it design a lawn?

:frogout:

:eng99:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadow Hog posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with the Romero "design" jokes.

During his Ion Storm days his motto for the company was "Design is Law!" Of course we see what that got us.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I played through Hellbound again. Knowing the levels made the experience a billion times more entertaining since I could focus on fighting monsters and enjoying the scenery. Does that make it good? No, but it's probably not as bad as I originally thought. Still too many slog sections and one too many times when I have to throw a switch and guess what it did. Managed to fix the brightness problem by playing in GZDoom and hitting F11 twice.

For all its faults though, it did introduce me to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNWUv_5z1c

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Woolie Wool posted:

Operation Serpent

Please tell me this is one of those projects that has a chance of actually coming out and not something like a bazillion ZDoom/Wolf TCs that look promising but fade away? Because it looks great. Christ that is a run on sentence.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Alan Wake is a game so depressingly far up it's own rear end. Somehow Remedy didn't realize that fighting haunted construction equipment wasn't fun, and that baffles me. Then there's poo poo like the recreation of the shot from The Shining where Jack Nicholson bashes through a door with an axe, but then Alan's narration says, "It was like Jack Nicholson in The Shining."

gently caress you, Sam Lake.

Also Enjay's release is pretty decent. Too many hitscan dudes, not enough health though. And why he decided to use butt rear end ugly Quake 2 weapon models I don't know. It's fun though, aside from a little frustration. I love seeing the type of stuff people can pull off in G/ZDoom.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zeether posted:

This will be the best Christmas gift ever.

He started working on it in July. I have no idea what bizarro world he lives in where he thinks that'll be done by December. I hope so, though!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Probably because nobody wants to play an FPS where all of your "guns" come from some kind of dopey wristband. I need the rotating barrels and tracer rounds of a minigun, or the satisfying action of racking a shotgun, etc. That game wasn't worthy of the title "Shootmania", and I don't give a poo poo what sort of in-game reasons they had for the decision.

This is exactly why I couldn't get into Hard Reset. That horrid weapon design and most of the trash enemies being shorter than waist height meant combat was no fun at all.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Colon Semicolon posted:

didn't Eriance quit though

I mean all he does these days is draw naked anime ladies on his Deviantart. snoresville!

And he's been working on Demon Eclipse for 8000 years and it's changed focus about as many times. Laaaame.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
"Take off your pants.... because you're about to poo poo yourself."

http://www.strafe1996.com/news.html

Interesting looking old school inspired FPS project that popped up on the TIGSource forums a while ago.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah, you're right. :smith:

I still like the website though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I had tried Wrack a few years back and wasn't fond of it but this newer version looks decent. I already had it on Steam from when they went Early Access so I decided to give it a shot. First impression: My mouse doesn't work in game no matter what I do, but still works in the menus.

9/10 it's alright

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

Multi-monitor setup, by any chance? About 90% of the weird input bugs I see in games nowadays seem to stem from that.

Nope, just a regular single monitor and a USB mouse. I asked about it on the Steam forums. One of the devs hangs out there, maybe he'll help.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Adventures of Square is better than Wrack and that's probably all you need to know.

Edit: This is an aggressively un-fun game. Holy poo poo.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQsPE7s5BU

For the love of poo poo would people stop trying to make 3D models for Doom? PLEASE

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fag Boy Jim posted:

why would you even want different sprites for Doom, the 2.5D FPS with maybe the best sprite work in the history of the genre

100% truth. All the monsters have distinct silhouettes and colors. You always know exactly what you're up against and they almost never clash with the background.

I love me some DN3D, but it's been 18 (HOLY gently caress) years and I still don't quite know what I'm looking at:

They sure die good though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadow Hog posted:

Speaking of making GBS threads, I think I just noticed the rockets the Assault Commander (y'know, the fat guy that flies around laughing and telling you to "SUCK IT DOWN") are apparently shot at you through his anus. Talk about explosive diarrhea.

Worse part is that you don't get any real indication that he's launching those at you aside from a single frame firing sprite. No sound, no backflash from the rocket. GRRRRR.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: speaking of sounds, what the hell is the sound effect for the imp supposed to be? For whatever reason, I always pictured marbles hitting each other, but not quite; space marbles I guess.

Which imp sound effect? There are a few.

Edit: STOP ALREADY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdS-m2bVMG4

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite id game sound will always be the Knight alert sound from Quake. HARRUUUMMMM. What is that even? HARRUUMMM. Thank you Trent, you need to do more videogame work.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Kinda I Want To play Quake II again. Any cosmetic mods for that? Maybe something that adds muzzle flash to the weapons?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Amethyst posted:

Don't do it it's bad. Play 1 instead

I....I kinda like it. :ohdear: Don't get me wrong, I love Q1 as well. But sometimes I need to kick rear end to 90's butt rock. Y'know, aside from Doom.

Elliotw2 posted:

There's only knightmare quake 2 and quake 2 XP and neither of them are actually major graphical improvements.

I'll check those out, thanks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
You stop that fighting or I will turn this thread around.

Quake 1 is basically a Metallica album cover as a videogame. Quake 2 is a Heavy Metal comic strip as a video game (yes I know Heavy Metal FAKK 2 exists shutup). I love them both.

1's got all that speed. Maps are very tight and concise and the enemies are all cool as hell. It's very brown. IT's like a VICE documentary on the color brown. Everything is brown. All the things. It's great though.

2 just feels more heavy. Your guns just tear dudes apart and it was id's attempt at doing something just a little more, hence the objectives and hub levels and stuff. I like what they tried to do. It is very orange. It is not quite as orange as 1 is brown though.

1's got Trent on the soundtrack. 2 has Sonic Meyhem. Both are great. Now I want to switch their soundtracks and see how that affects the mood.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I adore Half-Life 2 but god loving drat it were those weapon animations and sound effects horrifically, inexcusably lazy.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/user/EBITUSA16/videos

This guy has posted videos of a reanimated, remodeled arsenal for HL2 that keeps the original game's aesthetic. The anims are rather...sterile, but they're servicable I think. Better than vanilla at least. The question is, will this guy ever release the godamn things or will they fall in that "hey look at this cool thing I made that you want that I'm never going to release" limbo that millions of other mods have?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Stop making GBS threads on Half-Life you're hurting me feelings! :ohdear: :argh:

I do absolutely adore Unreal though. Interesting weapons, if lacking in the oomph department. That soundtrack though, still one of my favs to this day.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nintendo Kid posted:

SiN is the best 1998 FPS game

100% truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for