Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Psssshhh... JK-supremacy, that game was (for the time) goddamned perfect. I loved how the more you became one with the force, the easier it was to block and deflect shots fired at you.

Amazing :allears:

It's actually really dull in a lot of spots and the puzzles suck compared to dark forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Psssshhh... JK-supremacy, that game was (for the time) goddamned perfect. I loved how the more you became one with the force, the easier it was to block and deflect shots fired at you.

Amazing :allears:

Oh man, that's how it works? That's pretty radical. How does the light side/dark side stuff break down? I've got one notch towards the light side which I figure is just "you haven't murdered any of the innocent NPCs in the city levels, good job".

After dueling that "Dark Jedi" and then escaping the tower, the game prompted me for Disk 2. Despite not having the actual disks since I was a kid, and knowing full well it was a digital copy, I caught myself looking over to my CD rack. :psyduck:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

demonsteele is the mod that every kid growing up playing doom wanted and i love it
Fyi I am going to be nicking this quote in the event I make a professional trailer or something.

nexus6 posted:

Demonsteele is great but I wish it would switch weapons when you run out of ammo. It can be rare enough and I end up scrolling through several weapons until I find one I can fire.
I can make this a clientside cvar.
I'm not sure I can make it default behavior, since alt-ammo weapon switching can get wonky thanks to the primary-fire ammo being infinite, but I can still provide the option/workaround for it.

Shadow Hog posted:

Personally I've never really been fond of how melee attacks always seem to insist on making me face whatever I just hit, even if they were a bit off to the side.
What I've done is made the sword not actually hit people with a melee attack, but instead fires a tiny invisible projectile that travels a very short distance before dying. It's all very hacky and workaround-ish, but it's given way to several conveniences--one of which being exactly that, meleeing no longer jerks you around and hitting enemies is very smooth.
If you're curious about fixing that for your own mod, I highly invite you to open up the code and check it out. I leave my projects open source so that others can learn from it, or if you have trouble you can just yell at me on IRC.

straight jerkers posted:

For Demonsteele, I think clearer visual cues for incoming enemy attacks would be nice to have. [...] Also, I think it would be helpful if there were a unique effect that accompanied sword kills. [...] One more request. It would be cool if there were a way to do shorter dodges. [...]
e: also you should add sounds for when your combo level goes up!
e2: maybe make the souls from dead enemies a little more transparent

I'll try to make them more indicative--especially for the higher-tier enemies, since their cues are extremely subtle and I'm not terribly happy with that.
At the moment, there's the Splatterhouse SHONG! sound effect when you kill a dude, but that's not for all sword kills--would that help, since it's a unique sound only evident in swording, or should there be a visual effect as well?
I'm not 100% sure I can do shorter dodges, since off the top of my head the easiest way to do that would be via checking whether the key is tapped or held down...and that would be incredibly wonky in online play. But I can definitely try and see where it goes. Who knows, maybe it'll work perfectly fine.
Rank-up sounds are definitely on the to-do list.
And all right, I can make them a little more transparent. Are they too in the way?

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 3, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Fyi I am going to be nicking this quote in the event I make a professional trailer or something.

i am honored

TerminusEst13 posted:

What I've done is made the sword not actually hit people with a melee attack, but instead fires a tiny invisible projectile that travels a very short distance before dying. It's all very hacky and workaround-ish, but it's given way to several conveniences--one of which being exactly that, meleeing no longer jerks you around and hitting enemies is very smooth.
If you're curious about fixing that for your own mod, I highly invite you to open up the code and check it out. I leave my projects open source so that others can learn from it, or if you have trouble you can just yell at me on IRC.

i think this is how team fortress 2 handles melee and it works fairly well. had no idea it could be as smooth as it is in doom.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Elliotw2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS5sP2MqB9E

Man, why didn't Epic think of this, a Doom 2 remake of some sort is the best use of UE4 I can think of!

I mean, artistically it looks poo poo - the designer cannot map to save his life - but that engine is clearly very loving capable of looking absolutely incredible. The effects are astonishing.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I mean, artistically it looks poo poo - the designer cannot map to save his life - but that engine is clearly very loving capable of looking absolutely incredible. The effects are astonishing.

It's the unreal engine dude

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

Man, why didn't Epic think of this, a Doom 2 remake of some sort is the best use of UE4 I can think of!

This looks like a fake video game clip that somebody would make for a close-up shot in a movie of somebody playing video games. Actually, the videogame clips from Grandma's Boy is what this immediately reminded me of.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The video game in Grandma's Boy was a real game though (which was cancelled before release)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's Unreal Engine 4, of course it looks good, real developers pay real money to use it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Linguica posted:

GzDoom probably has different hitscan code than the original Doom, which had a bug that made it difficult to punch enemies in certain circumstances, especially large ones like a mancubus or arachnotron.

The main differences between ZDoom and vanilla for melee combat:

• Blockmap bug fixed, so there's no longer cases where depending on where you and the monster are positioned, all your attacks will harmlessly go through.
  • Vanilla Doom wants your melee attack range to be enough to reach the cross section of the monster, so monsters with a large radius are harder to hit or even immune. ZDoom lets you connect if you hit the collision box. In other words, in vanilla, you have to punch the enemy's spine through their body; in ZDoom you only need to hit their skin.
  • More hitscan bugs fixed.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's Unreal Engine 4, and the map is a slightly modified MAP01 from Doom 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Amethyst posted:

It's actually really dull in a lot of spots and the puzzles suck compared to dark forces.

And the final bossfight consists of two coked-out Jedi repeatedly leaping at each other and hoping the dodgy lightsaber collision detection goes your way.

I actually played Jedi Knight last and time has not been kind to it; I like it least of all the Dark Forces games.

DF itself, on the other hand, I'd love to replay if DarkXL is ever finished. :sigh:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I wish I could replay Jedi Knight so I can realize it's not the amazing game I thought it was when it was new, but it absolutely refuses to run on my computer or my game playing VM. :sigh:

Edit: Outcast is pretty great, it takes about 4 maps to get the lightsaber, Jedi Academy's campaign isn't as good, but you start with the lightsaber.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 3, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's everyone's opinion on JK: Outcast? I have that on Steam and remember playing it years ago, but don't remember if I liked it.

Basically, how long until you get the lightsaber, and is it awesome?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

TerminusEst13 posted:

I can make this a clientside cvar.
I'm not sure I can make it default behavior, since alt-ammo weapon switching can get wonky thanks to the primary-fire ammo being infinite, but I can still provide the option/workaround for it.

Awesome. Playing this online was a blast. I had no idea what was happening but there were explosions, demon body parts and animu girls everywhere.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Kinda I Want To play Quake II again. Any cosmetic mods for that? Maybe something that adds muzzle flash to the weapons?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm glad that state of the art realtime computer rendering is good enough to perfectly recreate bad 90s CG.

laserghost posted:

Nonono, this is the best: :nws: http://3dshots.nl/Archive/Spel_Dukescrew.htm :nws:

There's this fascinating insight into the company's doings: http://www.pieintheskysoftware.com/menuitem-resources-history.html
Oh man, these guys made Lethal Tender!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV_R60lU7Cw

As you can see, it was one of those Doom Era Wolfenstein clones that actually did some interesting stuff and actually tried to recreate real places to a much greater degree than anything before it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Kinda I Want To play Quake II again. Any cosmetic mods for that? Maybe something that adds muzzle flash to the weapons?

Don't do it it's bad. Play 1 instead

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's only knightmare quake 2 and quake 2 XP and neither of them are actually major graphical improvements.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Amethyst posted:

What? Quake 2 is perfectly playable. If anything it's better for SP than the confused and ungainly campaign Quake has.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Amethyst posted:

I....I kinda like it. :ohdear: Don't get me wrong, I love Q1 as well. But sometimes I need to kick rear end to 90's butt rock. Y'know, aside from Doom.

Elliotw2 posted:

There's only knightmare quake 2 and quake 2 XP and neither of them are actually major graphical improvements.

I'll check those out, thanks.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'll try to make them more indicative--especially for the higher-tier enemies, since their cues are extremely subtle and I'm not terribly happy with that.
At the moment, there's the Splatterhouse SHONG! sound effect when you kill a dude, but that's not for all sword kills--would that help, since it's a unique sound only evident in swording, or should there be a visual effect as well?
I'm not 100% sure I can do shorter dodges, since off the top of my head the easiest way to do that would be via checking whether the key is tapped or held down...and that would be incredibly wonky in online play. But I can definitely try and see where it goes. Who knows, maybe it'll work perfectly fine.
Rank-up sounds are definitely on the to-do list.
And all right, I can make them a little more transparent. Are they too in the way?

Yeah I think just the sound on sword kills would be enough.

The souls can block your view sometimes yeah but also the whole thing is so much about dodging projectiles and they're same color as the lasers monsters shoot so they can just kind of confuse things visually at times.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Q2's campaign is incredibly boring. I can't think of a single memorable level.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What's everyone's opinion on JK: Outcast? I have that on Steam and remember playing it years ago, but don't remember if I liked it.

Basically, how long until you get the lightsaber, and is it awesome?

It is awesome, yes, although it's a few levels until you get it (and the level immediately after you get it is a sniper-infested hellhole). For maximum entertainment, use the console to enable dismemberment.

There's a few poo poo levels in it -- the aforementioned sniper level, the final boss, and the mandatory stealth level come to mind -- but overall it's pretty great.

Jedi Academy isn't as good overall, but is more even -- its best levels aren't as good as Outcast, but its worst levels aren't as bad, either -- and it expands the lightsaber combat with additional styles and saber types. It's also worth playing, IMO.

Elliotw2 posted:

What? You forgot APR Quake 2, Q2Max, Quake 2 EGL, and Q2E. Q2Max at least is focused almost entirely on graphical upgrades. There's probably a bunch more I don't remember, too.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 3, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Arivia posted:

What? Quake 2 is perfectly playable. If anything it's better for SP than the confused and ungainly campaign Quake has.

The Quake campaign is confused but it doesn't actually matter much because the monsters are fun to fight and the maps are memorable and good. Quake 2 is orange and all the enemies are annoying.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
You stop that fighting or I will turn this thread around.

Quake 1 is basically a Metallica album cover as a videogame. Quake 2 is a Heavy Metal comic strip as a video game (yes I know Heavy Metal FAKK 2 exists shutup). I love them both.

1's got all that speed. Maps are very tight and concise and the enemies are all cool as hell. It's very brown. IT's like a VICE documentary on the color brown. Everything is brown. All the things. It's great though.

2 just feels more heavy. Your guns just tear dudes apart and it was id's attempt at doing something just a little more, hence the objectives and hub levels and stuff. I like what they tried to do. It is very orange. It is not quite as orange as 1 is brown though.

1's got Trent on the soundtrack. 2 has Sonic Meyhem. Both are great. Now I want to switch their soundtracks and see how that affects the mood.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's also BerzerkerQ2, but it's really bad. It fucks up completely contrast, everything gains ridiculous mipmaps so every object looks bruised to poo poo, and remember that little flies which appeared near corpses, as a little silly touch? Now they're cubes which shoot lasers to gib corpses and can hurt you. Stick to kmquake2.

Also, there's jake2, which is quite faitful and works well even on my crappy 2005 laptop.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Quake 2 was one of the first games to really put effort into the soundscape rather than relying heavily on the soundtrack to do all of the lifting. Quake still had that oppressive atmosphere but the NIN soundtrack really did the heavy lifting at times. There's hardly ever a quiet moment in Q2 and nearly each level is full of sounds and atmosphere - I remember I didn't even play with the CD in most of the time. Half-life had superb sound design and silence said more than music ever could, but to me Q2 laid part of that track with it's use of ambiance sounds as well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TerminusEst13 posted:

Twas my intention, although the holdup was more that I can't really do art very well, and I have too high standards to just do Game Maker FPS-level programmer art to let me focus on the coding behind the scenes.

And I'm no stranger to hacky DECORATE; I recall actively teleporting enemies directly into their target and back just to get information on where said target is, because I don't expect DoomScript'll ever be a thing. Shockingly, this method actually works.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

1's got Trent on the soundtrack. 2 has Sonic Meyhem. Both are great. Now I want to switch their soundtracks and see how that affects the mood.
I am also interested in seeing this. I did something similar with Doom 64 EX, replacing the sound effects with the original PC Doom ones. The atmosphere definitely changed; YMMV on whether it's for the worse or not, but I kinda liked having the familiar sounds so I could ID what I was up against quicker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

This looks exactly like how videogames appear in movies or in commercials for game design studios.

Just gotta tighten up the graphics on Level 1: Entryway...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This looks like a fake video game clip that somebody would make for a close-up shot in a movie of somebody playing video games. Actually, the videogame clips from Grandma's Boy is what this immediately reminded me of.

poo poo, massively beaten.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 3, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I hope once I get to Jedi Outcast I'll be able to just run the games normally. Dark Forces I had absolutely no luck getting to run, and Jedi Knight was a pain but more a matter of trying various "drop this file in the folder" fixes until one of them worked.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ookiimarukochan posted:

The video game in Grandma's Boy was a real game though (which was cancelled before release)

This is the most tragic news

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Geight posted:

I hope once I get to Jedi Outcast I'll be able to just run the games normally. Dark Forces I had absolutely no luck getting to run, and Jedi Knight was a pain but more a matter of trying various "drop this file in the folder" fixes until one of them worked.

Can you run Soldier of Fortune 2 (or original quake 3)? It's mostly Quake 3 engine, with some tweaks. I think the sourceport got all of the JO campaign working, so you can also try that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Oh my god it was a Clive Barker game, of course it was.

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/58284/what-happened-to-clive-barkers-demonik/

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5TI_Z6eRg

Seriously though that looks so bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey got a quick question about a game that I don't know the name of. I'd post in that 'Games we've forgotten' thread, but I think it'd fit better here.

It was a first person shooter on Mac (don't know if it was exclusively Mac, though) back in the olden days of 94/95/96, and one of the levels, if not the entire game, took place in a very white hospital. I was over at a friends place, the only person I knew who had a mac, and he was playing it, and now I wish I could remember what it was called. I wouldn't remember the name if I heard it, but I would recognize it from screenshots.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hey got a quick question about a game that I don't know the name of. I'd post in that 'Games we've forgotten' thread, but I think it'd fit better here.

It was a first person shooter on Mac (don't know if it was exclusively Mac, though) back in the olden days of 94/95/96, and one of the levels, if not the entire game, took place in a very white hospital. I was over at a friends place, the only person I knew who had a mac, and he was playing it, and now I wish I could remember what it was called. I wouldn't remember the name if I heard it, but I would recognize it from screenshots.

Was it Sensory Overload?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sensory Overload, most likely.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I used to really love Q2's SP, but it really hasn't aged all that well IMO. It's good for a quick run or two, but all of the generic industrial levels, the blurry-rear end textures, the orange lighting abuse, and the feeling you're not actually getting anywhere just drains a lot of the fun out of it. It's still fun when you get to the hub right before the Big Gun and become comically overpowered, but you have to go through stupid poo poo like warehouses and mines in order to get there. I know you can just warp there and load yourself up via cheats, but I shouldn't have to skip more than half of the game in order to get to the good parts.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Quake 2 seems like one of those games where they developed the maps sequentially, and didn't go back to revise the early maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

quake 2 was a pretty solid game but quake 1 also happens to be a pretty solid game and is less homogenized. still loads better than daikatana, at the very least.