Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you just complain about spoilers, in this thread?

It was honestly just amusing that the guy pushing the books on me also spoiled them immediately

Waltzing Along posted:

Which protagonist? I mean, it's not like the book has one. Just some vaguely likable characters, a couple idiots and sansa.

Yea and tbf even knowing that I still thought Ned might go to the wall before dying or being sidelined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

3 Body Problem: Game of Thrones creators on why they swapped dragons for aliens

BBC posted:

David Benioff and DB Weiss are in high spirits. With Game of Thrones a distant memory, its creators are fired up about their latest TV show, 3 Body Problem, and there isn't a dragon in sight.

:jerkbag:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahahah holy poo poo

quote:

Without spoiling the plot, it's about advanced aliens invading the Earth. They're fleeing an unstable solar system with three suns orbiting each other - hence the name, Three-Body Problem.

The spoiled part of that quote is literally the central mystery of the first novel and isn't really fully revealed until super late into it lmao

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Guy A. Person posted:

hahahah holy poo poo

The spoiled part of that quote is literally the central mystery of the first novel and isn't really fully revealed until super late into it lmao

Lol GOT fans loved doing this. My best friend was one of the fresh, super-invested show watchers, and a huge Robb Stark fan. She managed to mostly avoid spoilers for two years. A huge part of my fun was watching each episode and seeing how she reacted to stuff like Blackwater. Usually with too much wine between us.

Sure was great sitting on that, and then the biggest moment of the season was spoiled day of. Not by actual SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE types, but by her having two brain cells and noticing all the "ohohohoho what will happen when Robb goes to the evil old man castle, no one is safe!!! Show watchers will be in for it tonight ;)" all over Twitter.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
By biggest spoiled moment (I only read the books after season 3) was when I searched something about Cat and first result was from the asoiaf wiki and on the very first paragraph of the article about her they nonchalantly comment about zombie Cat and why was like WTF????

But than that never happened in the show anyway

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I had the Red Wedding spoiled for me when I googled Robb Stark to see who played him in the series and woops

It's still pretty wild they never made Zombie Catelyn a thing - even if it doesn't "go" anywhere, it's such a striking encounter and it makes everything going on with the Brotherhood Without Banners and Beric Dondarrion feel very....pointless. (Which I guess it is, because we'll never get more books)

In the end, many of the bold things they cut after Book 3 ended up being worse for the show and all the things they added made things worse for the show. Great job!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It’s weird how much they shied away from some of the supernatural stuff given that one of the big season 1 climax things was magic coming back via the dragons

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Guy A. Person posted:

It’s weird how much they shied away from some of the supernatural stuff given that one of the big season 1 climax things was magic coming back via the dragons

It's part of why the very title of the adaptation should have given you pause. Cersei, not the Night King, was the final boss of the show. D&D seemed to completely miss the point of the series - shocking, I know - and thought that the game of thrones was important and the focus.
Probably fits also with how badly they handled Littlefinger since his character is arguably the incarnation of this theme. He's the best Crusader Kings player in the books, but sadly they're actually playing Left 4 Dead but no one told him.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been thinking that Sansa should be the one to kill Cersei. But I also remember something about a prophecy. I'm guessing that is coming up in a later book. But Sansa is the catalyst to gently caress everything up in book 1 so far. And Cersei happily takes advantage of those mistakes.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been thinking that Sansa should be the one to kill Cersei. But I also remember something about a prophecy. I'm guessing that is coming up in a later book. But Sansa is the catalyst to gently caress everything up in book 1 so far. And Cersei happily takes advantage of those mistakes.

You misspelled Eddard!!

As a Sansa stan I like her becoming Queen in the North. She is the least Stark kid in appearance and character. Her "growing up" fantasies are about marrying a handsome, mighty, and noble Prince and getting the gently caress out. Then she finds out the Prince is a monster, the hard way. Delete and replace everything that happens after somewhere between her Storm and Feast chapters/Season 4. It would be awesome to see her learn from the poo poo she went through and emerge as the schemer Cersei and Littlefinger want to be.

Then it would also be great to have Arya with a parallel plot. She is far and away the Starkier daughter in appearance and character. But realizing her dream ultimately has her needing to abandon her Starkitude. In this imaginary Good series, it makes perfect sense for Arya to go voyaging while Sansa reigns in her own right as Ice Queen Bitch. I'll send you my bank info, HBO.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 17, 2024

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

chaosapiant posted:

It’s weird looking back on my first read, rooting for Ned and admiring his honor as a character. Every subsequent read is more like “this dude is an idiot and absolutely incapable of doing politics.”

He literally didn't want to do politics, but Cat, the worst character, britta'd him into it.

The character I most enjoy more and more each reread is Tyrion. Specifically once he is back at Kings Landing acting as hand.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Howland Reed theorycrafting was strong back in the day when we thought more books were coming out. It's now been replaced by theories about lemon trees, and Khal Drogo warging into his own horse, but back in the day there was some good poo poo out there when discussing Howland Reed.

Syrio = Howland (and also Strong Belwas) and Patches/Moon Boy

CHANGE MY MIND

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 18, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's part of why the very title of the adaptation should have given you pause. Cersei, not the Night King, was the final boss of the show. D&D seemed to completely miss the point of the series - shocking, I know - and thought that the game of thrones was important and the focus.
Probably fits also with how badly they handled Littlefinger since his character is arguably the incarnation of this theme. He's the best Crusader Kings player in the books, but sadly they're actually playing Left 4 Dead but no one told him.

Yeah, which is hilarious because a lot of the smartest brains in the setting all consider Cersei an impulsive moron painting herself into a corner with every move. Littlefinger, the supposed master schemer, out and out says she has her beauty, her wealth and her power, but only the first is truly hers and it is deserting her.*

But nope, apparently you can just sit on the throne with no claim at all after exploding the fantasy Pope and sip wine on the balcony for 2 seasons (that was a looong pregnancy btw) and no one raises any issues because you have a big zombie knight.

*: that said, show Littlefinger basically freaked himself out into being stabbed because he couldn't talk himself out of charges like "magic child says you did bad stuff". So the standard for smart people is dodgy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've heard once I get to book 4 things will go a completely different direction from the show. That's really why I decided to do this, just to see what actually happens. But how far are they going to diverge? Unrecognizably?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've heard once I get to book 4 things will go a completely different direction from the show. That's really why I decided to do this, just to see what actually happens. But how far are they going to diverge? Unrecognizably?

It's not completely unrecognizable but there's definitely a lot of differences and most of them only make the show characters look stupider.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ravenson posted:

It's not completely unrecognizable but there's definitely a lot of differences and most of them only make the show characters look stupider.

To be fair, many of the book decisions are pretty dumb too. But the characters remain consistently intelligent, even as the narrative makes poor choices.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah, it's weird how they thought the point of the series was the political intrigue that's been the focus of every book that's actually been released, and not the magical fantasy stuff that's going to be important any day now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When does the show go 100% off the rails from the books? S7? 6?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Waltzing Along posted:

The different characters run out of book at an uneven rate, so it’s kind of staggered.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, it's weird how they thought the point of the series was the political intrigue that's been the focus of every book that's actually been released, and not the magical fantasy stuff that's going to be important any day now.

I mean, everything in the North plot lines have had the message of "All this political squabbling is distracting everyone from the real threat that humanity as a whole needs to be uniting against" and a lot of Dany's more metaphorical moments have had her being exposed to the message too (like what she sees in the House of the Undying). The fact that the author himself got distracted by it doesn't make it any less alarming that the people chosen to adapt the books weren't aware of the underlying message of the story.

Waltzing Along posted:

It probably never fully goes off the rails because of the staggering Xiahou Dun mentioned. There's every reason to think that everyone's ultimate S8 fate is what's in store for them in the books even if it's not remotely how they get there, so frankly some characters are probably getting back on track in the show as the last stragglers are finally jumping from their book plot lines.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Angry Salami posted:

im pretty sure d&d just stopped reading the books after the red wedding and did everything after that based off of scribbled notes and vibes.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Guy A. Person posted:

It was honestly just amusing that the guy pushing the books on me also spoiled them immediately

Yea and tbf even knowing that I still thought Ned might go to the wall before dying or being sidelined

Noob. He should've said "Robb dies in the Red Wedding btw", or Jon is a Targaryen

soviet elsa posted:

Lol GOT fans loved doing this. My best friend was one of the fresh, super-invested show watchers, and a huge Robb Stark fan. She managed to mostly avoid spoilers for two years. A huge part of my fun was watching each episode and seeing how she reacted to stuff like Blackwater. Usually with too much wine between us.

Sure was great sitting on that, and then the biggest moment of the season was spoiled day of. Not by actual SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE types, but by her having two brain cells and noticing all the "ohohohoho what will happen when Robb goes to the evil old man castle, no one is safe!!! Show watchers will be in for it tonight ;)" all over Twitter.

I made sure to not spoil my GF just because I wanted to see her face as she got as disappointed as I did when I got to aDwD, because I knew from the start the show would suck after the battle of blackwater

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

ItohRespectArmy posted:

im pretty sure d&d just stopped reading the books after the red wedding and did everything after that based off of scribbled notes and vibes.

Not gonna hand it to them, but the books sucks after the Red Wedding, so it was a good call

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jon’s true name is Jon Sand.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Waltzing Along posted:

Well in the respect that the rest will never be written it may be a bit unrecognizable.

After so many rereads it is amazing how blatantly in-your-face Jon's DNA is clearly hinted at. Why am I doing this to myself...

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 18, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope you liked the scene in the show where Brienne goes to an inn and asks if anyone has seen Sansa

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Angry Salami posted:

It's pretty clearly the intended message. If you take a low opinion of Martin, you could argue he lost sight of the plot himself. If you want to take a higher view, look at the fact one of the direwolves is named "Shaggy Dog" and the fact its owner's story is likely to be a meaningless shaggy dog story. That's the politics, too. Just like how human civilization has spent decades aware of the existential threat of climate change doing nothing but playing the game of votes, the books and Westerosi have spent their last remaining years playing the game of thrones despite the looming threat of the Others. He's spending time building it all up grand and majestic, so that when it comes crashing down in an instant we realize how pointless it all was.

Frankly, I suspect it's both, although it's also pointless (hah) because there will never be another book.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It kinda reminds me of The Boys. The comic, not the show. Well, maybe the show. But the disdain the writer has for the subject.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I don't really blame George Martin for getting distracted. The theme might have been intended to be "these idiots care about the fancy chair, not the apocalypse," but I am way more concerned with what happens in the internal lives of these idiots. The real zombie apocalypse after (insert problematic fave here) sits the throne was the drama we had along the way.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Waltzing Along posted:

You'll hate yourself for wasting time on both after the "split", so it's pretty recognizable that way

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Waltzing Along posted:

Basically they cut an enormous amount of side plots that were never got nowhere in the books anyway, and what was really needed, they cut the chase. Mostly stuff related to Essos and Dorne

About Dorne specially, they condensed some hundreds and hundreds of pages into basically 1 episode. Its interesting because, at one hand, that poo poo was incredibly dull and unnecessary in the books to begin with. But at the other hand, what they did with it in the show, while at least short and fast, was probably some of the worst moments of television Ive ever saw in my whole life

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 18, 2024

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Remember when the show decided that every Westerosi kingdom ran on barbarian rules and if you kill the lord you inherit their seat and title?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Remember when the show decided that every Westerosi kingdom ran on barbarian rules and if you kill the lord you inherit their seat and title?

That seems to only apply to Ramsay, and probably because his plot armor is so huge and magnificent the whole reality bends in his favor

edit: vvvvvvv oh I forgot about her. It was so amazingly dumb

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 18, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Elias_Maluco posted:

That seems to only apply to Ramsay, and probably because his plot armor is so huge and magnificent the whole reality bends in his favor

*swirls wine glass, glares across from Red Keep to Sept*

edit: in the process of writing this short sentence I remembered Bronn manages to get Highgarden. No one in the Reach, which is famously ruled by a bunch of Garth "the Horny" Greenhand's offshoots, has any armies, riches, power, food to oppose Tyrion on this brilliant choice.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 18, 2024

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Elias_Maluco posted:

Basically they cut an enormous amount of side plots that were never got nowhere in the books anyway, and what was really needed, they cut the chase. Mostly stuff related to Essos and Dorne

About Dorne specially, they condensed some hundreds and hundreds of pages into basically 1 episode. Its interesting because, at one hand, that poo poo was incredibly dull and unnecessary in the books to begin with. But at the other hand, what they did with it in the show, while at least short and fast, was probably some of the worst moments of television Ive ever saw in my whole life

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Elias_Maluco posted:

Turns out if you boil down ditchwater you just get dirt

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tarnop posted:

Turns out if you boil down ditchwater you just get d̶i̶r̶t̶ the bad pussy

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: vvvvvvv oh I forgot about her. It was so amazingly dumb

Ramsay, Ellaria, Cersei. As the show went on they pretty much gave up on any pretenses of the medieval setting and its supposed customs and mores. You could argue it was supposed to represent the breakdown of society and that the old norms are falling away to the rule of violence, but lmao if you believe that those two morons were doing that on purpose.

D&D wrote, filmed, and edited a rape scene without ever noticing it was a rape scene.

EDIT: Also Ramsay was at least the legitimized heir supposedly and Cersei was nobility also. Ellaria was just literally the random sex worker who murdered the entire ruling family which entitled her to rule because

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Elias_Maluco posted:

was probably some of the worst moments of television Ive ever saw in my whole life

Boob hater spotted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just met Frey. New cool rankings:

#1 Mormonts Raven
#2 Walder Frey. I found him much more likable in the book. He's kind of amusing with how he just doesn't give a poo poo with his words.

Last: Sansa, right before her: Daenerys. I forgot to mention how terrible the Dany stuff is. Are her chapters ever good or is it constant awful whenever she appears? Now that I think of it, her stuff on the TV show was the worst part of that, as well.

And after the Frey bit, I'm amused that Robb (assuming it's the same plot beat as the show) is going to die because of his lack of honor. He made a pact or whatever and went against it. While his dad died because he couldn't ever go against his honor. A lot of interesting karmic beats and ironies in this book. Neds first scene is beheading a dude and then loses his head, himself. Sansa loses her wolf because she lies (because she is a dumb idiot) and then loses her dad because she is a dumb idiot and turns him in. Ned probably should have been a bit more honest with his girls, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Waltzing Along posted:

Just met Frey. New cool rankings:

#1 Mormonts Raven
#2 Walder Frey. I found him much more likable in the book. He's kind of amusing with how he just doesn't give a poo poo with his words.

Last: Sansa, right before her: Daenerys. I forgot to mention how terrible the Dany stuff is. Are her chapters ever good or is it constant awful whenever she appears? Now that I think of it, her stuff on the TV show was the worst part of that, as well.

And after the Frey bit, I'm amused that Robb (assuming it's the same plot beat as the show) is going to die because of his lack of honor. He made a pact or whatever and went against it. While his dad died because he couldn't ever go against his honor. A lot of interesting karmic beats and ironies in this book. Neds first scene is beheading a dude and then loses his head, himself. Sansa loses her wolf because she lies (because she is a dumb idiot) and then loses her dad because she is a dumb idiot and turns him in. Ned probably should have been a bit more honest with his girls, though.

Dany parts are always awful.

In fact, I think its somewhat less bad in the show cause at least much less of a slog