Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

side_burned posted:

Feast and Dance did feel less like cohesive books and more like a collection of serialized chapters. I hope he finds writing WoW more fun than the last two, even he seems to think that the last two books covered a part of the story that wasn't very eventful.

Killing the 5-year gap was probably the worst thing that could have been done, in terms of poo poo happening. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

There are probably a couple decent chapters somewhere in Dance. Unfortunately none of them form a decent novel, let alone piece of a series.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

General Battuta posted:

You are actually the only person I have ever met who likes the last couple Frank Dune books, and I've been at writing workshops and SF/F conferences pretty regularly for the past five years. I'm not saying they don't exist but they're a rare sort of bird.

I think they're okay. Not as good as the first ones but I wouldn't hate life if I had to read the later ones again. There's some neat things in them but they just don't assemble into a good story.

I think you'd pretty much have to know nothing about good storytelling to think they're better, though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you people, of course it's pronounced ho-door, as in look at those hos use that door, and I didn't even realize there was another way to pronounce Arya at all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ross posted:

was something new that he wrote recently

Ross posted:

something that he wrote recently

Ross posted:

something that he wrote

Highlighted the classical logical fallacy here (assumptio of gurmwritio).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, gently caress me for not reducing it all the way.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Man the description of that soup was possibly the one thing I wholeheartedly enjoyed, without reservations or qualifications, in all of Dance. Makes me hungry just reading it, every time.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

I want to see this with the Gurm of cinema in it, George Lucas.

But what school auditorium has a green screen?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Maytag posted:

Actually for a short while it really affects his character. He's already a dwarf, then he becomes a dwarf with a hideous disfigurement. Then it's not really mentioned for that whole last book.

Well see if he had a nose, he could just follow it to wherever whores go.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Trico posted:

you're thinking of froot loops

That's no way to talk about a male prostitute.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

My god I wish I could completely block the entire chapter about her diarrhea from my mind like you have.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

Does anyone have the link handy to the combined reading order of AFfC/ADwD? Thought I'd give it a try to reread ADwD.

I hear it's at the corner bar. They give it out to everyone who gets drunk enough to remember nobody should ever reread Dance.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Gurm writes in accordance with Zeno's paradox of the turtle.

That's during the ten minutes of the year when he actually writes at all, of course.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Simon Draskovic posted:

and now I'm wondering what the Game of Thrones erotic fanfic shipping community is like. It can't be worse than some of the stuff we've had in this thread, can it?

Can it?

You know nothing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's okay, lots of people hate their mothers.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

What's wrong with me that the first thing I notice is what an awful turn of phrase 'queried pleasantly' is?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

You write erotic fiction for money.

Which means you are probably a better writer than Gurm.

Better sex scenes if nothing else, with a more honest intent.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Either way, he likes people with dicks.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

What say you, Wildcards? Should I pull the trigger on the purchase? Would be refreshing to read a series like that of the GURM, but actually with an ending.

The prose is very YA but there's a legit good story if you can get past that. The only rape is implied but there's enough violence to make anyone happy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

The sight of their space-arousal was space-arousing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've come to the conclusion that GRRM must be one of these people who is terrified of answering the telephone.

Of course he is. Picking up the phone risks talking to his editor or publisher.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You're stupid. This is stupid.

Sinclair did stuff. Your analogy is flawed.

marcus is littlefinger, ivanova is sansa, delenn is cat, garibaldi is tyrion

Then who's Londo, Mr Smarty-Pants? :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

Isn't there only like one black guy in ASOIAF too?

Londo Mollari, you philistine.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

rejutka posted:

Varys could be Bester.

Quentyn is definitely Byron.

Quentyn is also that pilot dude from season 2. Shows up out of more or less nowhere, accomplishes nothing during the brief period he's around, dies uselessly.

Also, it involves doing some re-arranging on Dany, but I present to you: Jorah Mormont is Lennier.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any serious theories as to how the series might end?

With a heart attack and burned notes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

I care about Meereen more than I care about Dany at this point. Please don't screw up the global economy and further hurt the people you screwed it up for :ohdear:

Really, though, I'm digging GRRM's commitment to making choices have consequences, even in Essos. Dany doesn't get to be the civilized white woman saving the brown people from themselves like she would in almost any other fantasy, she has to deal with the aftermath.

If only it were the slightest bit interesting to read. Instead, we get 'the sight of their arousal was arousing'.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Man the last time I took two weeks to read a book I was seven years old. It wasn't her chapters that kept me going.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

thornghost posted:

One of the loading screens in the game has details on how to bake a specific type of lamprey pie. The TVIV geniuses were mad because they didn't know lamprey pies featured in the story.

What, seriously? :psyduck: Man, they're nuts over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

ruddiger posted:

awww, rewatching that scene, I realize now that Theon says "Our war cries will echo through eternity" when I originally thought he said "Our war crimes will echo through eternity" which would've made that speech a million times more metal/ironborn. Goddammit.

It's all the same thing in the end, really.