Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Was the purple wedding outside in the books? I thought I remember them being inside.
I remember it being inside and Joffrey getting completely shitfaced before he was poisoned.

Show did a good job of showing everyone being unimpressed by his sadistic boorishness at the wedding, but I really wanted to see a shitfaced Joffrey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Traxus IV posted:

But why? I don't watch the show, what is it about her portrayal that makes her compelling to them?
Because she's cute as a button and nerds love warrior girls you loving eunuch.

I could maybe see them using Ygritte in place of Mance's wife since Mance is barely a character so far and his wife is non-existent, but the Dead Ygritte gut punch is too good to pass up.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
NO!!!!!!!

e.

:allears:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 17, 2014

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

jsoh posted:

She's nude in the books. I think maybe her tits are out in like episode one? Who cares

Um

Me.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

Main problem with this theory is that they moved south and started attacking months before Daenerys hatched her dragons.

The other problem with it is that they were content to do nothing when the Targs first arrived with a bunch of fullgrown dragons. Why is Dany different?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I couldn't care less about spoilers in general, and ASoIaF in particular. I'll read the books regardless so give me all the spoilers u can handle.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Abolish the Small Council.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Eight course prix fixe meal using recipes for that book, call it 'Making the 8' :cool:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well I finally got aroudn to watching Jamie rape Cersie (been moving), and I have to say, I expected worse, given the outrage all over the internet. My wife agreed that it was pretty tame.
I think it would have been better if like, Jaime bent Cersei over the table and Cersei shoved Joffrey's corpse under her midsection to kind of prop up her rear end to give Jaime more leverage for his thrusting and then I guess he could have just jizzed in Joffrey's mouth since he's dead and wont care anyway and then no worry about pregnancy

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I Own Soulz posted:

Why does it seem to be such a given that the Other who changed the baby is the Nights King? There isn't really any indication of it having a link to the Nights Watch in the past. I mean it makes sense, but there's very little to support it.
Viewer's guide called him the Night's King but it was quickly deleted.
He has a crown.
One shot is composed such that he's the 13th of 13 Others on screen. The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander and reigned for 13 years.

I also find it interesting that the viewer's guide refers to the location as a "city".

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

IRQ posted:

Also not really a surprise. Isn't Valyria or whatever supposedly some kind of radioactive city now?
I think so. Or at least a super taboo ruin. Maybe it's like the Forbidden Zone in Planet of the Apes and weird wizards scare people away from it to remain hidden :v:

But it surprised me because it seemed like another thing that wasn't explicit in the show. It certainly didn't look like any sort of city, just a big ice flow and a spooky altar. But the Viewer's Guide describes it explicitly as a "city of ice".

I think it would have been a safe assumption that the Others had a city or cities, but the books never touched on it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They're staying in one of the abandoned wall castles when Sam and Gilly pop out of the floor and are like what the gently caress and Bran's like hey does that hole go to the other side and they're like yeah but dont go its cold and he's like nah bro I'm having visions and poo poo I gots to.

this is pretty much how i ended up in Canada btw

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Episodes like this make me wonder how it is to watch the show as a non-reader. I guess it would have been exciting that Bran almost met Jon this episode.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
seriously I want some of those loving lemoncakes
they look like lemony spongey treacle cakes instead of the dry boring poo poo i always see at stores

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
dear lord baelish,

in exchange for some of sansa's lemoncakes,
i volunteer to be a rung on your chaos ladder.

many thanks,
ser shrimp

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

cargo cult posted:

I just wanted to say that Ned, and everyone else really, is an utter dickhead for looking down on Jaime for killing Aerys, gently caress his vows, that was the whole point of their rebellion. That bit of characterization makes no sense, unless you want to believe that the people looking down on him are so honorable that they'd never consider breaking any vows.
I also don't believe it's common knowledge that Aerys was threatening to nuke all of King's Landing. From Ned's perspective, Jaime opportunistically betrayed the king when it was clear all was lost, which is unambiguously the polar opposite of what he swore to do.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

yeah but Robert and Ned were literally heading to Kings Landing to kill the King. And they also rebelled ( making them traitors / oath breakers / etc ).

That is why it is such a good perspective twist. You ( the reader ) are set up ignore that rather obvious fact ( they are all dishonorable fucks ), because the King was such a prick. But Jaime was somehow part of this super magical and honorable group of UBERKNIGHTS. Also stabbing in the back is less honorable than open rebellion or some traditional fantasy poo poo like that. Plus he is a dirty lannister and I'm sure robert though "war is honorable" and all that poo poo.
I really don't think the two are comparable.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Unfortunately, "are ya" is referenced a few times as the pronunciation in the books as one of her nicknames is Arya Underfoot, as in "are you underfoot?" So it's not really pronounced the same as aria.
Where is it the pronunciation ever made that explicit in the books?

Thanks to Gurm, I now call my dumb dog Finnegan Underfoot because he is also always underfoot, but I don't pronounce "Finnegan" as "Are ya".

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My eyes are going to roll out of my head when Arya returns to Westeros to get her revenge and then the Faceless Men kill her for it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I would really like that to be the ending of her story actually. Like they show up to take her out and she goes "Eh worth it! Valar Morgulis PEACE!"
I think it's inevitable, the only question will be if they kill her before or after she reaches Westeros.

It would be alternately hilarious and lame if they kill her before she boards the boat or something.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

I just want you guys to know that this exists, in case you hadn't already found it:

http://gobmush.wikidot.com/

I have always found it creepy when people use actors as their character pictures.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

keeping in mind that those pages are the ones he cut from dance, and that he hasn't written anything for WoW yet.

Is that confirmed?
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I doubt he could use chapters his editor asked be cut from ADwD to meet a contractual obligation for the new book.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

It's more like the Aegon reveal in DWD, if they revealed that Aegon had been publically raised in King's Landing, he just never got invited anywhere because all the POV characters hate Targaryens.
I read all the Harry Potter books and I don't remember any retconning so I'd say JKR's retconning is firmly in "who gives a gently caress as long as it's entertaining" territory.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe it's as simple as
Jon dies > Jon wargs into Ghost > Jon's body turns into a wight > Jon wargs back into his Wight body and seizes control

Then there could be some drama where his consciousness encounters whatever power is animating the wights as he takes his body back

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Just picked up the A Knight of Seven Kingdoms and after binging on James Ellroy and R. Scott Bakker novels all summer I feel like I'm fan fiction-level stuff. Could it be GRRM is actually... not good??

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

savinhill posted:

You got good taste, James Ellroy is just the fuckin best, and nothing else in fantasy comes close to comparing with just how dope R Scott Bakker's series is.

I still like Grrm, I think his problem is more that he's a lazy rear end writer and his work suffers for it. Speaking of GRRM & Ellroy, did you notice that some Ellroy characters had ASoIaF names? I think it was in Blood's A Rover and Perfidia where some similarities popped up that had me wondering if Ellroy was a ASoIaF fan, or if it was just a coincidence?

Also, read David Peace's Red Riding series if you wanna binge some Ellroy-level crime poo poo, except even darker.
I haven't picked up Perfidia yet. I read his LA Quartet last year and started in on American Tabloid but Underworld USA books just didn't capture my attention the way the pulpy hard boiled detective aesthetic of the Quartet did. I ended up reading The Cold Six Thousand and Blood's a Rover in between the Prince of Nothing trilogy. I was looking forward to Perfidia but after I finished WLW I just wanted more fantasy and ended up buying Gardens of the Moon since everyone seems to love the Malazan series. I saw A Knight of Seven Kingdoms there so I picked it up too.

It's not necessarily bad but it seems so uninspired and trope-y now. The illustrations aren't helping to disabuse me of the feeling that it's more Redwall than HBO.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

savinhill posted:

IIRC, his main publishing company had some big management/exec shakeup, or something very similar, go down, with the result being that fantasy lit is no longer a priority for them and another result is that both Bakker & his fans are hosed & cockblocked at the same time.
I also heard/read somewhere that the shakeup resulted in his previous editors leaving Overlook Press and so getting someone new take over and get up to speed is a great ordeal (heh). Also, that sales were weaker in the US than pretty much everywhere else, so Overlook isn't really motivated to get the book out. Bakker recently updated his blog to say that there's a tentative July 2016 release planned and Amazon has pre-orders available for "The Great Ordeal" shipping July 5th, 2016.

At least we know it's finished. Bakker's hinted that there will be two sequel novels after The Unholy Consult/The Great Ordeal but I'll be satisfied with a conclusion to the current trilogy. As for ASoIaF, I guess it's a running joke now but I'll be amazed if GRRM publishes Dream of Spring before he dies/retires. I'll be even more amazed if I still care enough to read it, given that it'll be years after HBO finished the story. It must suck for GRRM knowing that GoT is not only going to beat him to the punch, but be the definitive version of ASoIaF in popular imagination.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Hahaha you actually got me excited that a new Dunk and Egg had come out but nope! Just a collection of previously printed stories.
I was looking forward to reading them and then it turned out they were pretty meh. I wonder if the rest of ASoIaF were as mediocre or if the Dunk and Egg stories were deliberately written in a more standard fairy tale/children's story style. The short story format made it seem super Villain of the Week-y and Duncan is basically a bumbling idiot who lucks into everything.

Also holy poo poo does GRRM like to repeat stupid rhymes and catch phrases ad nauseum. And inject the occasional anachronistic word in the laziest attempt at world building imaginable.
... Maybe reading all five ASoIaF books back-to-back gave me Stockholm syndrome.

e. \/
That's what I mean. Dunk and his undercover Targaryen squire just happen to wander in to a low rent wedding tournament/secret Blackfyre Rebellion staging area. Dunk never seems particularly impressive other than that he's big, and yet he keeps winning duels.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 3, 2015

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not soon enough.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

its weird - the official website is pretty dead too. I mean you think there would be more ongoing discussion and whatnot.
The Second Apocalypse fan forum is semi-active but your account needs to be approved by a moderator. I tried to register three or four weeks ago and I never heard back.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lmao yeah. Supposedly the second half won't be more than a year after but...I've heard that before.
At least in Bakker's case it sounds like the book is finished, he's just being dicked around by the publisher.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If you look closely you can see that he's hover-handing like a true goon.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Such a stipulation wouldn't need to be in his contract. The Mountain that Bides has given every indication that it's an instruction to his estate in his will. Also something about burning his notes and manuscripts.
I like the idea of GRRM having his notes and manuscripts burned thinking Dream of Spring will be the great lost novel of nerddom, or that ASoIaF will gain provenance as the unfinished fantasy series of our time, only nobody ends up giving a gently caress about the books because HBO finished the story years ago.

He must feel like the erstwhile inventor who cashed out for five figures only to watch a megacorp turn the invention into a multimillion dollar product.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
How have there not been set leaks or photos for who he brings back? Were the scenes shot indoors?

Stoneheart is a good comedy option because if Arya ends up back in the Riverlands then it sets up a much better story than Cleganebowl will ever be.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought it was pretty bad because the Hound's chopping technique was terrible. Overhead swings, not over shoulder dammit! You'll throw your back out like that. And you could tell he's probably never chopped wood before because one log basically exploded at the slightest tap. When an axe hits wood it tends to go through it, not stop at the top of the log while everything below splits nicely.
My ~*~ GIRLFRIEND ~*~ says you're stupid.