Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Does that mean the TVIV thread should watch the Outer Limits episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's like the war in that way.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think it's far too much of a stretch to make any comparison between Hobb's Elderling novels and ASOIAF beyond "They are both fantasy books".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm pretty sure having a spymaster, bad magic, and pirates is all fair game in the fantasy genre.

And "carving dragons out of stone and using magic to put people's souls into it" it pretty far away from "dragon eggs are made of rock".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kcroy posted:

I think the book will come out in 2016/17 for exactly 1 reason: sales. There is no way his publisher is going to miss the cresting wave of the HBO series. They will wrap up whatever he has, and ship it out.

He contracted for a trilogy, does his publisher even have a legal say in the matter anymore?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the author revealed his plans to complete The Winds of Winter"

Hahaha, this literally counts as news now.

Other than not being true, obviously.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kill you are self posted:

If it's not Jack then it's really lovely writing and GRRM ran out of descriptions for people other than "scar on left cheek, hook nosed Jew."

Wait is this the Wheel Of Time thread?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So he still hasn't decided on a major plot twist, let alone finished writing the book. And he expects it to be out in 12 months.
I guess he's abandoning the concept of editing entirely then, it would take that long just to get the drat thing ready for printing and distribution.

Hahahaha he's not writing it anyway

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Who trolls the Bad Thread? That's just low.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So I assume Barristan's plots are going to Tyrion?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Is there anything magic about Thoros' swords? I thought it was pretty explicit he just covered them in wildfire.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What ridiculous nonsense, a plain beef steak is basically poo poo on a plate.

Beef requires a good rich sauce to bring out its flavours, preferably one heavy on finely sliced strong onions, with a poignant blend of wild mushrooms and a heady dash of strong pepper.

And you have mayonnaise with chips you barbarians.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Shoehead posted:

Has anyone here had lamprey pie? Is it a real dish?

No, nobody has ever put eels in a pie. What sort of madness would that be?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the interesting part irt to the Tower of Joy is actually the "change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word" bit, it is very specifically something magical (unless Meera is lying or boasting, which I don't believe she is).

Or y'know, his lot live in a marsh and are really good at draining or redirecting water.

In regards to Ian McShane, I can now only imagine Euron acquiring Dragonbinder in some sort of dodgy antiques scheme.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Cardiac posted:

but honestly, nowadays I am more interested where this train wreck is going to end up.

HBO

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

p.crestmont posted:

I came here to bitch about fantasy novels and eat lemoncakes.

And I'm all out of lemoncakes.

Novels too.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kcroy posted:

We will see the next book before the end of the TV show, regardless of whether he dies or not ( publisher will ship something by the end of show no matter what )

I've said it before, but I sincerely doubt he's still under contract. He originally signed for a trilogy, after all. It's unlikely his publisher can print anything without his permission.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kcroy posted:

why does his crazy make so much sense? It really bothers me.

He delivers them in much the same form as 9/11 conspiracy videos, same principle.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just another trope subverted

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Or they sent a fake skull. Gregor never actually died and will kill Sandor in the CB, saving Cersei but pissing off the Dornish. I can't even remember what the gently caress Jaime's up to in the books, but he's got to get back to KL in the show for Cersei's death.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That motherfucker still has more Pip and Flinx books to write, goddamn it. No go on HBO, Foster :argh:

I thought he threw together a half assed pile of 'and then everything was sorted' a couple of years ago

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
lol at people in THIS thread saying "oh no, it's going to be several months before he can finish TWoW"

Stpo deluding yourselves. There is no book.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My best guess is that we are 100% of the way through this series

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
which makes you wonder really, how long will we continue to fill this thread with spiteful ramblings after gurm actually dies? People might have to pass on their accounts to their children.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Everyone finally quit?

Well it was good enough for GURM

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

SaviourX posted:

Counterpoint, I actually like having food in my chili that isn't just meat, so eat balls.

Pretty sure that's a type of meat.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
When I heard Ian McShane was cast, I was really hoping he'd be Euron. Got that magic horn in an amazing antiques deal.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Like 98% of my Ian McShane exposure is Lovejoy, he has never changed in my mind.

God I wish they did a crossover episode with Highlander.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

FrozenVent posted:

Hey guys I'm 10,000 posts behind, is winds of winter out yet?

I'm afraid The Book Barn has a very strict spoiler policy, you'll have to read the rest of the thread to find out.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But Dany was born at Dragonstone with the last of the royal Targaryen court in attendance.

AFTER King Aerys, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Ellia Martell and her kids, and all of the Targ loyalists in King's Landing were dead.

That's the most retarded theory ever.

Obviously it's predicated on the idea that she isn't the real Daenerys, which is backed up by a concerning amount of evidence. Preston's "lemon trees lemon trees" sounds ridiculous until you remember the excessively pointed conversation about citrus availability between two Bravosi guardsmen.

Personally I prescribe to the "Gurm wrote six options for every 'mystery' so he could change it if people guessed' theory. Of course now he's taken so loving long we've guessed everything so he has nothing to write.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Lol that the show is so terrible it actually makes Bad Thread posters wish for a new book

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Obviously he'll go to Oldtown in search of a cure, as the Maesters are his best bet. There he will meet Gilly, who can pass on his father's message to join the Watch.

They didn't do that in the show, did they...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Someone asked Preston Jacobs how the White Walkers' origin works if it's all science fiction.

"Obsidian isn't really that special a material, it's just a rock; silicon. You know what else is made from silicon? That's right, computer chips."

I think the show broke him.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't care if he's 70, Lovejoy would have been a way better Euron.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't think there's any magic going on with Robert Strong, it's just an extremely drugged up Gregor.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Fat Pink Mast is my favourite, just because you can imagine GURM thinking "well it's on a boat, so a maritime metaphor seems appropriate"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What would this thread do if GRRM decided to radically depart from his original plan

what, write a book?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I did rather like the shooting of the battle even if the cg was a little rough.

But it was hard to appreciate with the whole thing being so stupid. Jon is a terrible general who no one should follow, and Sansa let thousands of men die by not telling anyone about the Vale army.

I guess Littlefinger can marry Sansa and declare himself Warden Of The North now? Not like anyone has an army to stop him.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Max posted:

Is Warden of the North a title you can inherit? I thought that was an appointment made by the crown.

I think these days the crown will take what it can get. Not like the Tyrells are going to march up to play kingmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

syscall girl posted:

I like this

little boring but it has the threat of violence coupled with the fact that he's too honorable to ever do such a thing

He promised to keep the baby safe.

Ned is honour-bound by his word, and that is not a beneficial trait. That midwife is gone.