Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Skeesix posted:

Overall though, the actual writing is better than I was lead to believe...

I finished ADWD recently and while it took me a long time to really get into it, by the end I must admit I was really hooked because I was expecting something huge. But that ending... it was such a wet fart that my opinion of the whole thing just did a complete 180°. Looking back on it, absolutely nothing remotely relevant to the plot had happened. The whole book was just a huge filler with absolutely no payoff. GRRM could have easily cut half of those Daenerys/Tyrion chapters but he clearly had no idea what he wanted to do with those characters.

ADWD is basically GRRM's version of a christmas special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

jsoh posted:

i think jon betraying his oath and the civil war brewing in the north is kind of plotty.

Yeah, I liked those chapters. I also liked Varys' appearance, and the few dorne chapters too. It's mostly the Daenerys/Tyrion copout that pissed me off, considering he dedicated half of his book to it.

As I said, I was mostly enjoying it until I realized he had just delayed the climax of his book to the next installment.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

In case you're not aware, the publisher said "gently caress you grrm, we're not waiting any longer" and literally released the book without the climax (to the North stories, anyway).

I wasn't aware of that. I guess he probably would have had more time to write that climax if he'd spent less time on his side project "The Adventures of Huckleberry Lannister, World Cyvasse Champion" :v:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't actually looked it up, but based on what I've heard/seen, didn't season 5 win like more emmys than ever, and was considered a huge success, despite it being hot garbage? I expect it to continue to explode into season 6.

It wouldn't surprise me, these awards have a bit of inertia and the show is probably still reaping the rewards of its early seasons that were actually decent.

(apparently it's been collecting the most emmies for the past 3 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Game_of_Thrones)

It feels weird waiting after an HBO show to provide some closure on a rather obscure series of books I started reading in high school when everyone was getting into Harry Potter. (I live in France, not sure how popular the books were in the US at the time of their publication)

I mean, I'm sure deep down no one cares anymore but we still can't stop watching this trainwreck.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

kcroy posted:

No new book yet.. but they have announced some reprints and 4 new novels...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/525227.html

WTF is this fanblog about Wildcards and football doing in the ASoIaF thread, self promotion is probatable on this forum man. Reported.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

It hit me yesterday that book-Jon is still dead and book Stannis is still alive. (I'm not doing the whole list, it's more effort than GRRM deigns providing to his own series at this point).

Regarding the next book I will read it if it comes out some day but I have decided to not give a single penny for it. :filez:

kcroy posted:

I would rubber hose his rear end until he gives permission to print whatever the gently caress is done at that point.

Last time his publisher did this A Dance with Dragons happened.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

pidan posted:

A dance with dragons was ok.

To be honest I didn't hate ADWD until I reached the end. (except for everything Tyrion)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

kcroy posted:

completely off topic, but I need to apologize to TBT. In the discussions of good sci fi to read, I have often chimed in when people talk about Hyperion. The general consensus is that the first two books are good. Books 3/4 are terrible. Previously, I have defended book 3/4 ( Endymion ) - however I just re-skimmed them, and they are loving horrible. Just had to get that out of my system.

4 was just an endless depiction of the protagonists either loving, eating, or a mix of both. It's kinda like asoiaf in that regard.

pidan posted:

Is the book out yet

It is:
https://tinyurl.com/ybo3loue

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

Though, come to think of it, Olenna must have teleporter access, if the leaks are correct and she is killed in the sack of Highgarden next episode. This knowledge should have been shared with her new allies.

I didn't read the leaks but how is that supposed to happen, aren't the Tyrells the backbone of Cersei's troops ? (hence how Olenna was able to impose Margery as the queen.)

...Oh wait, Euron is going to sail back across the whole continent in a day right ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

They didn't do a siege because it would last longer than the scope of the main story, and they took a narrative shortcut to the end result because no one gives a poo poo you nerds

B-b-but my fidelity !

Oh wait this isn't the Star Citizen thread. So, is the book out ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks to whoever posted that leak for S8.

https://youtu.be/_Lp9F_P0dwA

Now let's remember this show for what it did good.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

(...) run by a production crew who genuinely deserve better EPs than the two dignuses they're stuck with, if the behind the scenes material can be believed. (...)

Genuinely curious about this since I've never really dug into the production of the show. Do you have sources for this ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

Brilliant idea,

GRRM should just release whatever he has finished for the 6th book and then sell the remaining chapters that are missing as DLC.

Ever noticed the "C" in DLC ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

football season

Sorry for my ignorance but when is it not football season in the US ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

People expect to hear my erudite Book Reader's Critique, I have an obligation to tell people the show they like is actually stupid and really bad.

I take a guilty pleasure in bashing the books whenever a show watcher asks for my opinion on them. Sure they're better than the TV show for the most part but gently caress letting friends or coworkers give more money to the Absolute Fucker.

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 14, 2018

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I don't even resent the fat fucker. He can't finish his life's work, the series that made him famous and will be beaten to it by a lovely TV show. That's punishment enough. gently caress his apologists with rusty barbed wire though.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still believe there will be something called "The Winds of Winter" poo poo out by the publisher just in time for the final season in a year. It will be 75% complete without a real ending, and considering that the first 33% will be stuff that was cut from ADOD, it will effectively be 50% of a new book. That's it though, there will be nothing after that.

On the other hand, I :toxx: that GURM will not release TWOW in his lifetime.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Marijuana posted:

Does this thread accurately represent how the fandom is turning against GRRM or do the dorks at westeros.org still worship him?

Here's some anecdotal evidence for you: my gf and a group of her friends are admins of the biggest french ASOIAF fansite so they're pretty invested in the series. When I met her and her friends 3 years ago they were full on "GRRM is not your bitch" apologists. Fast forward to today: they now openly bitch about how bad and nonsensical the show has become and if you press them they admit that fat pink mast will likely never finish his series. We hatewatch the episodes together as they come out. GRRM has become a punchline and all is well.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Someone should feed all the sex and food scenes to a bot and have it write TWOW.

GRRM is way ahead of you there, it's just the interfacing with Wordstar 3 he has issues with.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

:hai:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Website is blocked in the EU due to GDPR (lol really) what does the article say ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm expecting a manifesto from him before I expect a novel.

Pear shaped men of all countries unite ! We must seize the means of production. Anyone got a link to ... *checks notes* Wordstar 4.0 ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

What's this Winds of Winter GURM keeps ranting about ? Has he partnered with Disney to produce a sequel to Frozen or something ?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I mean that article has a valid point though, the conclusion is

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

He will die before WoW is published.

I toxxed on it and at this point I'd be more pissed if he released it than if he didn't.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, when I read about the glass candles, I thought that was just a coy way of letting the reader know that the Citadel had developed electricity and light bulbs and was hiding it from the rest of the world, but I guess not.

I'm fairly sure there's a fleshed out theory that points to the candles being used as a test by the maesters to identify any candidates with magic potential to disappear them pronto. I think it's part of the grand maesters conspiracy or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPOe0OrGAg

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The last chance this TV show has to redeem itself is to end with Dany reaching the natural conclusion of her narrative arc: being covered in poo. Only then will we be at peace.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Turns out the Valonqar was just a big rock. Hmm.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

LMAO my colleagues are so butthurt about the ending, it's glorious. Top notch thread title. :discourse:

It's been fun, looking forward to my ban when GRRM publishes Win-pffrrhahahahaha

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

YaketySass posted:

The whole point of voting is that in theory it gives the involved parties negotiating power, but lol they vote in 30 seconds then the sister of the new King decides to secede.

By early seasons logic the other lords would have rightfully said gently caress it and there'd be a new war.

Yeah I was in complete disbelief at this scene. These lords have pretty much 0 reason to trust Bran (who might no longer even be human) much less pledge allegiance to him. The only one in this scene who doesn't act like a plot device is Sansa and she doesn't even get called out for seceding. This whole season smelled of rush and disinterest and that specific scene encapsulates that perfectly.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Was the prophecy bit about "...when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east" ever fulfilled? I don't remember any condition that could be literally or metaphorically used to satisfy that bit of prophecy. I'd originally thought it meant something regarding Dorne due to their sigil, but I'm not sure anymore.

I'm pretty sure the show decided to ditch all the prophecies, would be surprised if this one managed to slip through. (haven't re-watched the earlier seasons so feel free to correct me there)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

It's a minor quibble at this point but I chuckled that Drogon could blow up the city gate and the red keep just by looking at them sideways but had to focus on the iron throne for half a minute to melt it. (by established show standard it should have exploded)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Thank god he's finding things to distract himself from writing the books.

Is he actually like, a good writer other than ASoIaF? I've never read any of his sci-fi stuff or anything else by him.

Yeah, Riverdream is pretty good although I read that a long time ago. I liked some of his short stories as well, like Sandkings: https://forwearemany.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sandkings.pdf

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

That's the one that got used for the new outer limits right? That was neato.

Yep that's the one, I had no idea it got put to film so now I know what I'm watching tonight!

it's Chernobyl E5 because gently caress GRRM

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

TIL that George visited the Paris catacombs in 2015. He wanted to give an interview there and share some of his historical knowledge with fans and journalists. Most of the catacombs are closed to the public and it's illegal to wander there so a reputed guide led the group down one of the illegal passageways. Only problem is that GRRM could not use the planned entrance because he was too fat to fit through. They ended up negotiating with the police to open a staircase that's normally barred from public access to let him in. He had to carry a red cushion with him all the way through.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20vxk3

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Lord Too-Fat-To-Cross-A-Door

To be fair to The Mountain, the illegal entrances often involve more ladders than doors so i'm guessing his guide simply didn't account for GRRM's girth.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just imagine, once he's dead he'll not be writing forever. It will usher in a new golden age for The Bad Thread. :allears:

Eagerly awaiting for the Ghana pallbearers to be posted, except they cannot lift the casket.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Phi230 posted:

All Winds of Winter and no football make GRRM grunt and moan like a constipated fat man

Oberyn is quickly becoming a favorite character of mine. :allears:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What if, and

Pardonez-moi ma français,

Le GRRM est un fuckeur absolut?

Un fieffé bougredin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013