Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Amok's artwork of the various characters is canon as far as I'm concerned, simply amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Still salty that he dies like a chump in the show after they gave his best scenes to Tywin.

If Roose had stabbed Ramsay instead of the other way around it would've been much better.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Grevling posted:

That was one of the dumbest plots on the show. The lord's bastard who nobody likes just suddenly stabs his father and everybody's like "ok fine, he's the new boss".

The show really bungled the North and what makes them tick.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Katt posted:

RIP sir Barristan Selmy. The greatest swordsman that ever lived, who performed like 10 sword swings across 5 seasons before dying to street thugs.

I don't blame him. The actor is like 100 years old and probably has it in his contract that he won't do stuff that risks a hernia :v:

How awesome would it have been to have Barristan present at the Dragon Pit meeting, though?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Rhaegar named both of his sons Aegon, lmao.

I'm 90% sure that his name will be Aemon in the books.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Collateral posted:

I'm not suggesting Ned reveal jons parentage. He can still claim to be his father just get him legitimised by Big Bob. Robert didn't figure out his own children, the risk of him finding out about Jon is very small.

Legitimizing a bastard is not something that is done often, Ramsay Snow being legitimized seemed to be pretty unprecedented.

Aegon the Unworthy didn't even legitimize Daemon Blackfyre, he just gave him the ancestral sword and seemed to think that'd clear things up. Though I suppose that's up for debate.

Ned had other children, his appeal to have Jon legitimized when it would only gently caress with the succession would've raised eyebrows at the very least.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

The Dance of the Dragons war was caused by the king legitimizing all his bastards before he died causing a massive succession crisis that ended with like one dragon alive maybe.

Nope, Viserys I didn't have any bastards. People just weren't comfortable with his daughter succeeding to the throne and backed her younger brother instead.

You're talking about the first Blackfyre Rebellion and after looking it over again it seems that you're right on that account, Aegon IV legitimized all of his bastards shortly before he died.

Considering the immense strife that followed I kinda get why people would be wary of the whole legitimizing thing though.

PittTheElder posted:

They sure showed Jojen "I'll just lie here for a while" Reed though

I hate it when these kinds of things happen because the person just stands/sits/lies there.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

If they had just brought one more redshirt Thoros might have lived.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Katt posted:

I wonder if GRRM even knew who Jons mother was by the time Jon went to the wall.

Early drafts she was probably a wildling queen with the power to defeat white walkers using eye-beams.

And Jon discovers this power right before a white walker is about to stab him and his mothers ghost shows up to explain everything.

R+L=J is one of those thinks that was probably already in place by the time GRRM was writing the first book. It's too integral to the story.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Great grandparents' uncle, Jaehaerys II was omitted in the series.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

whowhatwhere posted:

Season five was a mistake.

Everything after season four was a mistake.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Besides Hardhome this is correct.

What annoyed me about that was that they clearly left Hardhome by boat yet in the next episode they're north of the Wall trying to come into Castle Black.

Other than that it was a terrific moment. That Wildling woman was awesome.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

sat on my keys! posted:

Doesn't she also warg a cat in Braavos when she's blinded by the faceless man?

There's a popular theory that Arya will eventually be sent to murder Tommen because the Iron Bank wants their debts paid and that she'll accomplish this by warging into Rhaenys' old cat and clawing him to death.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

kcroy posted:

Osha and Rickon went one way, and Hodor / bran / meera went the other, but don't remember when. Definitely before they crossed the wall. They are supposed to be off in Skagos according to Manderly, and Davos will head off to find them. btw did you catch the cannibal references in the Manderly chapters?

IIRC at one point Bran wargs into Shaggydog who's fighting a one-horned goat, possibly a unicorn.

I can't wait to see what Skagos is like.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Drone Jett posted:

Is there any reason for Season 8 or a prequel to go there, though?

I'd laugh at that if it wasn't true. :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

My favorite part of the Battle of the Bastards was the "previously on" where they tried to remind people there was a sixth Stark kid.

On that note: was anyone seriously on the edge of their seat when Osha tried to seduce Ramsay? So predictable.

The way they handled Rickon's little subplot was disgraceful.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I laugh every time that I remember that the entire 8 season run of the show will start and finish between book releases.

The first season started before aDwD released.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxh4hnFKaHs&t=43s

Even Emilia Clarke can't lie about the quality.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

SirKibbles posted:

Same thing that happened to Nymeria the budget. The show really should've been animated and when they inevitably try to do more asoiaf in like 10 years it should be (Why yes I am salty I don't get to see a killer wolf pack vs ice faeries why do you ask?)

A Legend of Galactic Heroes-like animated series where every minor character is represented would be amazing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

In the fantasy genre, I suggest you check out the Black Company series. It's much more high fantasy than ASOIAF/Witcher, but they share a similar mood which I would sum up as 'this world is full of poo poo'. Disclaimer - it's also more character-oriented than the others, I think a big reason I "only" read the first three books and never bothered to keep reading was that the world didn't feel real and vibrant in my mind the way Planetos does.

Ugh, am I the only one who made the stupid mistake of reading further only to find out that it all turns to poo poo? I hate each and every one of you for having the wisdom of stopping while it's still good.

chaosapiant posted:

I actually first read the series in 2009, because I was anticipating the then new Dragon Age: Origins game and kept reading that the game was influenced by Martin's books. So I read them, and afterward they pretty much ruined most other fantasy for me.

Are you me? Literally the only difference is that I read them a few years before that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Would've been all sorts of amazing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

SirKibbles posted:

I swear I thought GRRM posting an update about an update was someone making a joke but he actually did it

I interpreted it as 'I hope the next update will be that the Winds of Winter is finished.'

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Brave_Companions

AWOIAF is a better wiki anyway.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

A Typical Goon posted:

PJs show videos are good but his book theories are insane and I feel like he's just doing a shtick. He skips over obvious explanations to laser focus on random sentences that he thinks GRRM wrote as little hints, not realizing that there is no way Gurm put as much effort into these insane theories as PJ does

Sounds like the ASOIAF subreddit on a good day.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I think books 4 and 5 are both really good and they were better on my second read through. Book 5 is up there with book for 3 for me.

The idea that the validity of my optimism concerning the books is due to how long I’ve been a fan comes across a bit elitist. The whole “I was a fan longer and you have no idea what it was like to wait so long” is a silly argument. I’ve been with the books for 11 years. Not as long as some but longer than many. The wait after book 5 has been the longest and I’ve been on the whole ride so far.

I’m optimistic because I choose to be. It’s fun to be cynical and pessimistic on the inter web and that’s all fine and good. But it gets old, and seems silly and pointless to me. I’ll never tell someone on a forum what the should and shouldn’t post, but I do my best to keep my posts related to discourse of the characters and plot of the show.

Hear, hear. Unless GRRM dies I'll continue to be optimistic as well.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mike N Eich posted:

So its gonna take him, optimistically, 9 years to finish a book where he moved a bunch of chapters from the book he *did* release into the beginning of it.

Just finish the book GRRM.

Remember the 2016 new year's post where he apologised because he really thought he could have had the book ready by late 2015?

...These books are never coming out, are they? :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Woodpile posted:

Have faith: "... work on WINDS OF WINTER continues, and remains my top priority," sayeth the GURM.

Any day now.

In all seriousness, I expect to see Winds of Winter relatively soon but unless GRRM gets over whatever hump he's stuck on we'll never see the last book.

Back in 2008 I found all those 'GRRM will die' comments to be extremely mean-spirited and I always wanted to stay optimistic but 11 years later and he's only released one more book.

Meanwhile his old assistant managed to write an acclaimed science fiction series starting in 2011 of which the 9th and final novel is supposed to come out in 2020.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Cardiac posted:

You mean the 9 book series that was only supposed to be a trilogy and then got bloated just like GRRM.

Yes, that one. I've enjoyed every one of those I've read so far, though. Currently on book 5!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Zasze posted:

I was kinda sad the opening scrawl was so low effort for the last season it was one of the highlights for me seeing it change from episode to episode and season to season.

The first two episodes were so promising because you could see the advance of the White Walkers.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Koirhor posted:

gently caress Lost is the god drat reason they’re called white walkers in the show because they didn’t want to confuse the use of the term Others

This is also why Robin Arryn and Yara Greyjoy are a thing, they were afraid two Roberts would be confusing and Asha was too similar to Osha.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

varamyr and orell aren't undead, they're just animals now

Orell's spirit got pushed aside when Varamyr claimed the bird, Melisandre eventually set the bird on fire causing Varamyr to go mad for a while.

quote:

Once a horse is broken to the saddle, any man can mount him. Once a beast’s been joined to a man, any skinchanger can slip inside and ride him. Orell was withering inside his feathers, so I took the eagle for my own. But the joining works both ways, warg. Orell lives inside me now, whispering how much he hates you. And I can soar above the Wall, and see with eagle eyes.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 2, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

And who has a better story than Mushroom?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Toplowtech posted:

There are a few cool dragon fights in the middle of that war too except of course everyone dies, what a totally unpredictable GOT spoiler!
edit: although isn't one of the other survivor a targ girl(or a boy can't remember) who was taken hostage alongside her bother/sister by two criminals then spared after the criminal asked her/his mother who she wanted to keep alive and they obviously lied to the poor mother and killed the one she wanted to stay alive? or is it the same prince? What an happy family!

The other Targ son was ripped apart by a mob and the Targ daughter plunged to her death from the Red Keep after the war in a suspicious manner.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

Yeah, people who kinslay seem to have the worst of luck in the books. In the show, not so much.

I think the moment I truly gave up on the show was Ramsay killing his father without any consequences whatsoever.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well, a dog ate his face.

Well, yeah. But that didn't come about as a consequence of him killing his father.

The only satisfying end would be him getting betrayed by his bannermen after they've had enough of his antics, preferably the breaking point would be when he keeps shooting arrows at his own men and the enemy's indiscriminately.

You know, because the North loving remembers.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I still like the books and do hope book 6 comes out as advertised there.

Same here. I stopped really paying attention to most ASOIAF internet communities and I'll be happy to read the books when they come out.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre is right there!

It kills me that isometric story-heavy TRPGs never really became a thing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten that the books have Ayra's direwolf out there leading an ever-growing pack of wolves just loving up the countryside since all the show did was have a scene to remind people the wolf was still alive.

I read somewhere that Nymeria and her pack were supposed to make an appearance during the battle of Winterfell but they had already completely blown their CG budget by that point.

Lady is the only direwolf not to be shafted by the plot and that's only because they get rid of her early on.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Greywind also had a couple of moments, he doesn't get a lot of 'on page' time in the books either.

I wish they kept his death more in line with the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I had to give up about a quarter-of-the-way into the seventh book, I have no idea how I lasted as long as I did.

It's like ASOIAF if ASOIAF consisted entirely of Brienne's chapters.