Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Raserys posted:

Tyrion as a secret Targaryen? Are you loving with me?

Deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That wouldn't be so bad. Before Jon died I figured they were setting up Arya getting a contract to kill him. Maybe they will have her get a contract to kill Sansa now. v:confused:v
There is a whole scene with the Kindly Man asking the faceless men if they know the target, one said "i know him" and didn't take the job and another one said "I will give this man the gift, I know him not." And i am pretty sure the Kindly Man knows she is Arya Stark (i think it was in that AFFC chapter when she kill the deserter) so it would make no sense for them to send Arya after Sansa or Jon since they don't allow their assassins to murder someone they know.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 10, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Raserys posted:

Dany burning Astapor and the RW are two things I desperately want to see in live action. Oh yeah, and Joffrey's wedding too.

Also, reading the reactions in the TV IV thread :allears:
"They killed his nigga Rob!"
"If they kill Jon too, i will stop watching!"
Don't spoil them, please.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Iggles posted:

In fairness I also think Jon is actually dead so I may not be the best judge

OR AM I
He is dead but he will probably get better (or worse).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Quantify! posted:

:thumbsup:

If you want to talk sexual violence towards men, Jaime losing his sword hand is a symbolic castration!
Reek, it rhymes with no dick. The unsullied. Varys' balls.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 14, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kcroy posted:

awesome thanks. was that in the main series? or do I need to get off my rear end and read the Egg and Dunk books or w/e?

edit: and would that make this title a reference to the various Targs going to war against each other as they compete for the crown!
It's not the same civil war (but there are only two generations between them), the old civil war in Egg and Dunk is the Blackfyre rebellion.

The Dance with Dragon is the civil war between the rightful female heir Rhaenyra and her younger half-brother Aegon. Apparently Rhaenyra's ex-lover, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, defied the king's will and crowned Prince Aegon instead of Rhaenyra. The dragon vs dragon warfare ended when Aegon II captured Rhaenyra and had her eaten alive by his dragon in front of one of Rhaenyra's two sons, young Aegon. Aegon II died without a heir so Rhaenyra's elder son (the one who saw his mother's death) became King Aegon III the Dragonbane. He is the one blamed for the death of the last dragon even if he apparently spent lot of money buying dragon eggs and hiring foreign maegis to make them hatch. His two sons became kings, the first one Daeron I the Young Dragon died while trying to annex Dorne, the second one being Baelor the Blessed. Both died and Aegon III's younger brother ruled only one year and his nephew Aegon "Wash her and bring her to my bed" the fourth fathered a bastard with one of Aegon the third's daughter: Daemon Blackfyre.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 19, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

I am always totally surprised when someone doesn't like Theon's chapters. They were some of the best in the entire series.
And it is pretty funny considering the number of people who wanted Theon to suffer for his betrayals.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mills posted:

I just finished reading all of the books after starting maybe six weeks ago.

Did anything ever happen after that prologue in one of the middle books about some retard apprentice maester in Oldtown who gave some mysterious stranger something and then died?
Sam meets him later 'alive' so the mysterious stranger probably took his "face".

Sam also meet another novice, Alleras "the Sphinx", son is a female Summer Island trader and a Dornishman ("not noble"), a slender and comely man.
He is not to be confused with Sarella Sand, the daughter of the Red Viper and a Summer Island captain, the only sand snake that isn't in Dorne. :tinfoil:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

There are more hints like:

quote:

"The Sphinx looks slight, but there’s strength in those slim arms, he reflected,"

quote:

"The memory made Arianne smile. He caught some vipers and showed Tyene the safest way to milk them for their venom. Sarella turned over rocks, brushed sand off the mosaics, and wanted to know everything there was to know about the people who had lived here."

quote:

"The princess had never been close to her brothers; Quentyn was off at Yronwood, and Trystane was too young. No, it had always been her and Tyene, with Garin and Drey and Spotted Sylva. Nym would sometimes join them in their sport, and Sarella was forever pushing in where she didn’t belong, but for the most part they had been a company of five."

quote:

"“What of Sarella? She is a woman grown, almost twenty.” “Unless she returns to Dorne, there’s naught I can do about Sarella save pray that she shows more sense than her sisters. Leave her to her... game. Gather up the others. I shall not sleep until I know that they are safe and under guard.”

Both Alleras and Salleras similar dornish/summerislandish origin are discussed in Pate's and the various Dorne chapters.

quote:

The Sphinx was always smiling, as if he knew some secret jape. It gave him a wicked look that went well with his pointed chin, widow's peak, and dense mat of close-cropped jet-black curls.

Alleras would make a maester. He had only been at the Citadel for a year, yet already he had forged three links of his maester's chain.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 25, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Yup. I like Jaime and all, so it was nice having a little bonus chapter in a way, but it was completely pointless.
This chapter is more about Bracken/Blackwood backstory then anything else and it's not really surprising since the 3 eyed crow is revealed to be the son of the king who liked to give "Teats" to his mistresses (and his mom was the flat one). Even the Blackwood hostage goes all maester "lol history is full of myths but we think reality is less magic" when his own great-great uncle is showed as a 100+ years old half-man half-tree warg living with the childen of the Forest surrounded by hostile undeads in the same book.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Affi posted:

so has anyone tried the game? is it as horrible as I think it is?
I can see it sell very well in Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBYVlG6EA4

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Tyrion was cool just the way he was.
Yeah, and learning the true about his wife then killing his father and Shae and going into exile after losing everything he managed to build in King's Landing shouldn't have any impact, right? I know A Storm of Swords was published in 2000 but Tyrion didn't get 10 years to grief his losses between his chapters. And honestly by the end of ADWD, he is back into the game, planning to gently caress the slavers with the help of the Second Sons.

vvvv reread brienne's chapter at the silent island, with the gravedigger.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 19, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

savinhill posted:

So Gurm isn't gonna start writing till after football season, he'll be doing publicity and traveling for the second season's premier in April, he's gotta go to all his conventions during the summer, and then you have a few weeks after that that won't be consumed by football or the holidays. We'll be lucky if he writes 100 pages of WoW in 2012. Jesus, this next book is gonna make the 6-year wait for DwD seem like brevity itself.
Estimated time between ASOS and the next* book: 14-15 years.

*assuming there is a next book.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 20, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What's everyones thoughts on what Victarion Greyjoy is going to end up doing?
Well, Moqorro the red priest sounded extremely supportive of Dany's anti-slavery stance in Tyrion's chapters so i wonder if he saw what the horn actually does in the flames of the volcanoes and isn't actually going to gently caress Victarion over.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I never quite understood why exactly Moqorro in Tyrions chapters mentioned seeing a sign about the Kraken and how bad they are and then when he shows up with them he's all for helping them out. I assumed they were sailing into trouble but I guess I won't know until I'm an old man with a salt and pepper beard, mostly salt.
Well he stayed on the wreckage in the middle of the sea a few days watching the flame of the volcanoes, then when the Iron men found him he immediately try to gain Victarion's attention while the other iron men clearly wanted him dead (or at least back in the water), so it's possible he saw in the flames that helping Victarion with his maester/hand problem was the only way for him to survive and reach his goal (Dany).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

Yeah, who the gently caress is this?
Brienne of Tarth.

quote:

Joffrey with a bandage on the left hand (after Arya's direwolf bit him)?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

No, Joffrey's the smug poo poo between Jaime/the Hound/Tywin/Cersei/Tommen/Myrcela.
Well since he is next to Dany and Drogo, i think it may be Viserys?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dany was always stupid, don't kid yourself.

Doesn't Darkstar have black and white hair?
Yes, he has thick silver hair with "a streak of black dividing it". So i guess the white bearded kingsguard on the other side is Arthur Dayne.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ross posted:

I think it was her period, foreshadowing the return of Zombie Khal Drogo.
Well, wouldn't the "son" of a khaleesi become the leader of a khalasar after killing their old Khal? Here come Khal Drogon, the black stallion dragon who mounts the world and new leader of the khalasar of the late (and delicious) Khal Jhaqo. As swift as the wind he rides...

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 2, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

When she went "welp, I hear Targs are immune to disease so it should be totally fine if I handle all these infected corpses" I thought she was setting herself up to get seriously ill and infect her court and city due to her naivety and arrogance. After all, this sounded like the sort of propaganda a royal house would come up with to try and separate itself from the masses and justify its ruling position. But then again Danny is also fireproof, so maybe Targs are supposed to be supernaturally resistant to stu
The second Dunk & Egg book takes place after "The Great Spring Sickness" killed King Daeron the Good and his two most immediate heirs, Princes Valarr and Matarys. It's super effective.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The bitter tears when Joffrey is alive and well in the season 2 finale will be a fine lube for their crysturbation.
Wait till they use the Red wedding as the S3 finally and he is still there for season 4.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Octy posted:

Anyway, Dany is going to run out of gold soon enough and Tyrion will be there to provide the funds necessary in exchange for a few services.
Considering the number of whorehouses in Meereen, the Dwarf's Penny (the tax, not the pig raider) will make them a fortune.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Assuming Storm becomes 2 seasons, winds of winter needs to start filming roughly 4 years from today. Which means 5 for dream of spring. Pre-production deduct maybe six months.
Weren't there talks to shoot the two seasons back to back if they were going to split Storm?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Octy posted:

I'm betting on Rickon Stark ruling the Seven Kingdoms at the end. He's got a whole storyline missing from ADwD that GRRM wants us to think is irrelevant, but isn't. Besides, everyone else with a claim to the throne is dead/will be dead soon enough.
No, i bet Rickon is going to claim Winterfell but then the north nobles will be all "You were in Skagos, no way we let a CANNIBAL rule over us". Then Lord Manderley will ask them if they want more Frey pies.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Joramun posted:

He who controls the lemon cakes controls the universe.
Father! The sleeper Dragon has awakened!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

I bet he's actually Maelys the Monstrous's twin brother who survived the war of Ninepenny Kings.
I expect this to be revealed in yet another Dragon roast moment.
My wild insane "SECRET TARG EVERYWHERE" speculation is that he could be Maelys' nephew or grandson. Maelys the Monstrous was the last male Blackfire but that doesn't mean he didn't have any surviving sisters or daughters. It would explain why that maegi cut his balls for a Blood Magic ritual since the blood of kings is more potent.

Also note that Varys told Tyrion that he was born a slave in Lys in CoK. Illyrio told Tyrion in ADwD that the love of his life was a Lysene pillowhouse worker, Serra. Aegon Targaryen is could be Illyrio's son and Varys' nephew.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I just can't wait until he finds out that Tyrion's big performance in the entirely of 2000 pages is to ride a loving pig whilst people throw coins at him. Yeah, that will really feel dignified no matter how many layers of irony and "the whole point is..." you throw on top of it.
As long as it ends with him no longer drinking then telling Penny she is a dumb bitch and joining the Second Sons, i don't loving care. Also i want a scene where you see the slaves eating some pig&dog meal.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

thornghost posted:

In case there was some small, secret part of you that still had an inkling of hope that the absolute fucker might finish the series, here's some news that will crush that:

GRRM signs a 2 year deal with HBO to do different projects!

I'm hoping for a Tuf Voyaging miniseries myself! Imaging the drama of a fat man sitting in space making psychic cats! Oh, or perhaps we'll see a retelling of The Pear Shaped Man!
It's the Tales of Dunk and Egg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbHuMv6jSE
"lighter in tone": "HE HIT A ROYAL PRINCE? CUT HIS HANDS!"

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2013

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A video about reading books and getting angry. Featuring GRRM eating a baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They are soooooooo going to catch up, I can't wait.
Yeah A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons may be big books but if you put the story in the chronological order, it's not going to take that long before they catch up.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah that definitely seems like the banner, the explanation has to do with time though. I thought for sure there was a story about people hiding in the hills from dragons and making them pissed off cause they couldn't find anyone to burn/consume.
It's from the Wind of Winter's preview chapter for Arianne:

quote:

"I can attest to that." Ser Daemon took a sip of wine and said, "House Toland has a dragon on its banners."
"A dragon eating its own tail, aye," Valena said. "From the days of Aegon’s Conquest. He did not conquer here. Elsewhere he burned his foes, him and his sisters, but here we melted away before them, leaving only stone and sand for them to burn. And round and round the dragons went, snapping at their tails for want of any other food, till they were tied in knots."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hunky Joe posted:

I was under the impression that Faceless Men couldn't kill people whose names they knew?
All we know is that they can op out of a murder or its planning by just saying "i know that man" (probably before they become faceless). We don't know if it's a strict rule, or just something they do when they think it would prevent them to be "no one".

quote:

Is this just my bad memory or did I read something and interpret it wrong. I thought it was why everyone on the boat to Braavos told Arya their names when she showed them the coin. Or is it that Mercy doesn't know the names of the guys as that doesn't count? That is seriously the dumbest loophole ever.
It doubt it's how it actually works. It's more likely something of a urban legend amongst the people of Braavos: "if you give a faceless man your name before he joins, he will never ever kill you". Because Jaquen literally said to Arya that if she gave him the name of his own father (and if his father was still alive) as part of her 3-kills list, he would kill him.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 28, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bathroom sounds posted:

You mean Dan Aires is Kelly C?!? :aaa:
No i am pretty sure Dan Harris is a tar guardian, he guards the tar used for the insulation of both roofs and boats.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Joramun posted:

I just got this recommended to me on Amazon. Apparently Dozois and the Gurm are releasing another collection of short stories this June, featuring a new ASoIaF tale "chronicling one of the biggest rogues in the entire history of Ice and Fire". That can only be Ser Pounce.

It's actually Daemon "My spouse/niece is the true Heir to the throne" Targaryen. So it's probably about him fighting against the Kingdom of the Three Daughters (Myr/Lys/Tyrosh) in the Stepstone. On his dragon.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

See, guys? He totally is working on the series, it's just all these little short stories you need to buy three times in different collections because he publishes slightly different versions in each one. Stop hating. :rolleye:
Also note he wrote it because of the excellent reaction to his last novella in previous anthology. So he probably wrote it during the last year...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Even if Tywin had been more interested in clearing Tyrion's name, Cersei was on such a huge warpath that nothing was going to stop her.
And even if you somehow manage to convince her it's not Tyrion, it's really likely she would then start an insane witch-hunt for the culprit in court and her next target would be the Tyrell.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kcroy posted:

That doesn't seem rapey at all, but maybe I'm a Raper at heart.
The scene in the book sounds a lot lest rapey because Jaime came back to King's Landing the day after Joffrey's death and directly go to Cersei at the Sept and it's their "we are back together again" sex scene (in the worst place ever).
In the show, he looks like a rapist because he was there for like a week and she didn't give him any.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Joramun posted:

You can't know that for sure, it was never confirmed if and when Sheepstealer died. So 100 years could just be hearsay or folklore.
For all we know, the Cannibal just relocated somewhere in Sothoryos after his favorite meat was no longer available at Dragonstone.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

Don't they have to kill off Lame Lothar and Black Walder first? I kind of forget the order of events for that part of the book because it's such a dull slog.
They can probably merge both hanging scenes into one scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I like the Dunk&Egg tales and all the extra stuff but it's like he is trying really hard to write anything but Asoiaf at this point.